Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

I feel most comfortable with my 9 iron. I am thinking of building a set with 8,9,P,G all set to 9 iron length ,lie and swing weight. I was thought about trying to build this set using single length irons, what did you use?

I made a set of SL short irons , 8-pw, out of a set of Ping s57s. I cut the DG s300 shafts to 36.5", removed the weight port plugs and refilled the slot with a mix of tungsten powder and hot glue. i melted the hot glue in a small metal bowl, stired in the tungsten and allowed the mix to cool. i then cut the heavy hot glue into strips and used a propane torch to melt them into place on the club head. It's not difficult to get a smooth finish on the heavy glue, the results looks clean, but not on an OEM level.

The resulting clubs are all 445 grams of total club weight and a SW of D4.

Very impressive, did you get the desired results?

I am very curious as well. Because if he just cut down the shafts, then the 3i will play super loose compared to PW. I almost feel like you would have to buy 7 iron shafts for the whole set to make this work. Is that the case? Otherwise your 3i has a much weaker flex on top of adding weight to it, which makes the flex play even weaker (vice versa for PW)...

Edit: just realized he said 8-PW. Even then, the flex will play 2 soft steps for 8 vs. PW, so still inconsistent flex and a little weight difference in shafts.

I feel most comfortable with my 9 iron. I am thinking of building a set with 8,9,P,G all set to 9 iron length ,lie and swing weight. I was thought about trying to build this set using single length irons, what did you use?

I made a set of SL short irons , 8-pw, out of a set of Ping s57s. I cut the DG s300 shafts to 36.5", removed the weight port plugs and refilled the slot with a mix of tungsten powder and hot glue. i melted the hot glue in a small metal bowl, stired in the tungsten and allowed the mix to cool. i then cut the heavy hot glue into strips and used a propane torch to melt them into place on the club head. It's not difficult to get a smooth finish on the heavy glue, the results looks clean, but not on an OEM level.

The resulting clubs are all 445 grams of total club weight and a SW of D4.

Very impressive, did you get the desired results?

I am very curious as well. Because if he just cut down the shafts, then the 3i will play super loose compared to PW. I almost feel like you would have to buy 7 iron shafts for the whole set to make this work. Is that the case? Otherwise your 3i has a much weaker flex on top of adding weight to it, which makes the flex play even weaker (vice versa for PW)...

Edit: just realized he said 8-PW. Even then, the flex will play 2 soft steps for 8 vs. PW, so still inconsistent flex and a little weight difference in shafts.

As far as the results: It's been too hot to get an enjoyable round in (95+) so i've been limited to late evening

practice. I really like the "wedge length" 8 iron around the green. I like the solid feel of the S57s over the Edels on partial shots (The Edels are wonderful on the full swings.) The 8 iron is great for low chips; accurate and the effort put into the swing feels similar to my putter; for a given distance. I practice partial shots with my 58* wedge for hours, which is the same length as the short irons. So all the practice done with the wedge translates nicely to the short irons. I did try out the shorter 8 iron before I added the extra weight to the head; the heavier head definitely felt more solid and controlled at impact. I am not convinced that I performed better one way or another, I just liked the heavier feel.

The shafts are the classic DG s300 irons shafts, which, i believe, are not flighted. They are the same shaft throughout a set, with the butt end cut for length. Thus a VL set would have a modest increase in shaft weight for each club. In an OL set the shafts should weigh and perform identically (theoretically.)

This experiment was on a whim, so i use the clubs I had in my garage. If i were to remake the set with newer equipment I think I would specifiy the same exact shaft for all four clubs.

Great comparison video between the Sterlings and a conventional set of Ping Glides and iblades. He also throws in the Cobra 5 iron at the end.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Myself and a few others on here have touted that Single Length Irons aren't for everyone. Custom Length Irons are for everyone.

Some people do great with single length, and some people do great with something more like a standard 1/2 gapped set and some people perform better with something in between.

Myself, my short irons are 1" over length and my LW, SW, GW, PW, and 9 iron are all the same length. My clubs go up 1/4 from there. 6 iron is about standard. 5 Iron and 4 iron are shorter than standard. I have a bit of lead tape on my long irons and was lucky that my short iron had some tip weights in them and I removed them. My LW and SW were ported to remove weight.

My newest irons just got here and they are standard right now while I play with SW and my most comfortable length in the set. I have been adding lead tape in the mid and long irons until I get the feeling I like and then will build off of that iron.

I think where most people run into issues are with the long irons. At normal length they run into issues with hitting them solid. At the reduced length they hit them more solidly, but lower and most of the time shorter which affects gaps.

No one seems to be answering you on this. Do not do this using a one length set.

If you use an existing one length set and cut the 8,9,p,g all shorter to a “standard” 9 iron length that you like, they will All be far too light. The swingweight will be very low and you will need to add lead tape. Not a great idea.

If you make a set of 8,9,p,g out of any “standard” length irons to play at 9 iron length it is far easier. The 8 gets cut 1/2 inch and you add lose 3 SW points. Add 6 grams of lead tape.

The 9 stays the same obviously.

The pitch and gap are made slightly longer, either by an extension or installing new 9 iron shafts, and the swingweight will go UP a few points. Most pitching wedges are only a 1/4 shorter than a 9 so you add a 1/4 inch. The gap is usually 1/2 inch shorter. Add a 1/2 inch. If you find the swingweights to be too high you can strategically grind some weight off the soles or you can drill out ports into the back of the head if you have a solid area to drill on.

The slightly higher swingweight on the pitch and gap quite honestly will probably not bother you. It’s not a big change, 3 points per half inch added. You may actually prefer it.

Just took the plunge F8 ONE 4 hybrid, 5 Utility One and 6-gw Forged Tec Black ONE. Will give an update in a couple weeks after i get half a dozen rounds in.

After a few rounds i've had no problems with gapping, the feel is great and ball flight is excellent. Only issue i've had is having the ball to far forward and hitting them a little thin. If i keep in the middle of stance everything is good.

Myself and a few others on here have touted that Single Length Irons aren't for everyone. Custom Length Irons are for everyone.

Some people do great with single length, and some people do great with something more like a standard 1/2 gapped set and some people perform better with something in between.

Myself, my short irons are 1" over length and my LW, SW, GW, PW, and 9 iron are all the same length. My clubs go up 1/4 from there. 6 iron is about standard. 5 Iron and 4 iron are shorter than standard. I have a bit of lead tape on my long irons and was lucky that my short iron had some tip weights in them and I removed them. My LW and SW were ported to remove weight.

My newest irons just got here and they are standard right now while I play with SW and my most comfortable length in the set. I have been adding lead tape in the mid and long irons until I get the feeling I like and then will build off of that iron.

I think where most people run into issues are with the long irons. At normal length they run into issues with hitting them solid. At the reduced length they hit them more solidly, but lower and most of the time shorter which affects gaps.

So, as I stated I did not build a SL set. Background........Maxfli VHL's had variable hosel lengths in high school, and when I had them re-shafted the guy cut all of the shafts and threw them in the heads. This resulted in my long irons being shorter and long irons being longer. When I made my changes 3 -4 years ago it wasn't to become SL or anything else, it was to get back to being like my irons I played in high school, college and for years after that.

For me.....I started with my 7 iron since in all of those sets, my 7 iron was pretty close to standard. I ended up with a 7 in a shaft that weighed 20 grams left, was soft stepped once. I then went down in roughly 1/4 increments to the PW and then GW, SW, and LW are all the same length. This required some lead tape in the 7 and 8,(not a ton) and a little on the 9 and PW. GW was fine, and I had to port my SW and LW. 6,5,4 iron have a a little more lead tape on them, and my 2 iron has the most(TM UDI). I was lucky in that my irons had tip weights in them that I removed that helped balance the shorter irons out. Lead tape doesn't bother me since I started using it in 1993.

PW, GW, SW, LW I made them all the same weight and put the same shaft in all 4. Going up from there they were all soft stepped.

As a side note......I have discovered that either the weight, balance, profile, or something of the recoil shafts along with the more closely gapped lengths are what made me a really good iron player. Trying the same system but with the Nippon 130x was a failure. My distances remained good with the Nippons(hit everything solid), but my directional control suffered with the Nippons vs. the recoils.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I've followed this thread since inception. I have a set of Edel SLS-01 3i through SW. I've randomly taken them to the range with mixed results/feelings. My "season" really starts now as my profession keeps me from the course most of the summer. I can play 3-4 times a week so long as it's not too cold from October - March.

I'm an 8 handicap on paper... but like I said my season really ended last March and I'm not feeling like an 8. I have about 6 range sessions and 2 rounds under my belt over the past 6 months.

My setup for my first round with the SL irons was not expected to last long. I thought I would quickly drop the 3i and SW, but since I have the full set I wanted to give them a shot.

Much to my surprise... I VERY much enjoyed having those two clubs in my bag and outside of the 9i I think I hit the most shots with those two clubs. I played the shortest of the three courses at my club.

I teed off quite a few times with the 3i and was very pleased with the result. Dead straight and it felt great. Much better than hitting range balls. I played today with a z-star and while it obviously feels better than range balls - I find the difference in feel even more pronounced with these irons. If you don't like the way they feel on the range, hit a ball of your choice with them a few times and see if you change your mind. They aren't mizuno forgings... but they feel pretty good.

FYI I feel like the following is fairly accurate... and I hit a PW 145yds / 7i 175yds:

VL -> SL

SW < SW by about 7=10 yards

GW < GW by about 5 yards

PW = PW

9i = 9i

8i = 8i

7i = 7i

6i = 6i

didn't hit a 5i

didn't hit a 4i

3i > 3i by about 10-15 yards (but I have never played a traditional 3i... always a driving iron and the cobra is my favorite)

I feel like the 5/4/3 may get a little bunched, but not enough time with them to tell yet.

Spoiler alert - I shot a 79, which is way better than I thought I would shoot after a couple of outings at 84 and 86 this month. The SW really saved the day... except for the two times it didn't.

I used my trusty Vokey TVD-K 56* out of the sand green side, so no feedback there... but pretty much anything else from 115/20-ish in to green side I hit the SLS SW. I think that with more practice I am going to really like it - but I was pitching it to distances way closer than I would have with a 6 month layoff had I been using my VL wedges. Twice, however, I left it way short. Both times were from the rough and about 30 yards out. I literally hit the ball about 10 yards. But each time after that I concentrated on making a full swing through the ball - telling myself that even though this thing is as long as a 7i it's not gong to go near as far on a 1/3 backswing. My second attempt was MUCH better with those thoughts.

I had three double bogeys over the course of the round today. All three of which were caused by a complete shank that sent the ball screaming directly to my right. It was a gap wedge or a PW each time. I don't think I have ever hit a shank with a VL iron in my life. I don't know what has caused this and would love to hear any sort of theory that any of you have. The only thing that I can come up with right now is that subconsciously I was thinking "gap wedge" and I was standing too close to the ball at address. I was mentally thinking "I need a 7 iron stance" when I addressed the ball every single time today... but by that I was thinking about the width of the stance and the degree in which my left foot was back and flared out. I don't think I ever consciously thought about how close or far away I was standing to the ball. I guess I figured the length of the club would just dictate that. And for the most part it did. After each hosel rocket I simply dropped another ball, added the appropriate amount of strokes, and took another swipe at it. The results on take two obviously ended up better than the first.

In summary - I'm going to stick with these, including the 3i and SW, for at least 4-5 more rounds and see what my scores do and what my comfort level does. I can deal with the flubs on the SW - those will take a little more touch to get right and I need to work on a clock system. I honestly can't handle many more complete hosel rockets even if I'm shooting in the 70s though. All in all, I really liked the simplicity of the single length and am looking forward to the rest of the experiment.

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

"I had three double bogeys over the course of the round today. All three of which were caused by a complete shank that send the ball screaming directly to my right. It was a gap wedge or a PW each time. I don't think I have ever hit a shank with a VL iron in my life. I don't know what has caused this and would love to hear any sort of theory that any of you have. The only thing that I can come up with right now is that subconsciously I was thinking "gap wedge" and I was standing too close to the ball at address. I was mentally thinking "I need a 7 iron stance" when I addressed the ball every single time today... but by that I was thinking about the width of the stance and the degree in which my left foot was back and flared out. I don't think I every consciously thought about how close or far away I was standing to the ball. I guess I figured the length of the club would just dictate that. And for the most part it did. After each hosel rocket I simply dropped another ball, added the appropriate amount of strokes, and took another swipe at it. The results on take two obviously ended up better than the first."

i do think you are correct in that it's a metal issue. Habits are hard to break. This is why professionals are not switching over two the SL clubs.

I can foresee two solutions; practice until you have reprogrammed your muscle memory. Or go Dual Length, where your scoring irons are at your favorite wedge length, and your long irons are a bit longer. I went down the second route and wound up at 36.6" and 38."

Tried them for 9 holes yesterday. 4-7 irons were fine. Distance wise same as VL. Where I’m questioning myself is the 9 and PW. Seemed a tad short distance wise for some reason. Suppose I should just commit to them like the 4-7 and get after it. Was skeptical on my behalf, just need to commit and hit the shot. Once I do hoping I’ll be fine. Mine are the F Max OL in graphite. Club feels solid.

I just got an email from Cobra golf today about a limited time trial program for their one-length F8 irons...basically, they will send you a complete set for 2 weeks to try out, and it will cost you $20,(+ $8 shipping FedEx) with Cobra putting a temporary authorization on your credit card for the whole amount (1.choose your set, place an order 2. receive set, keep the box, 3.try them out on course for 2 weeks, 4. choose to keep or return. ) Of course,if you keep them, you will be charged the whole amount..pretty sweet deal to try them out for a couple weeks.

Although it's not on their web site, I would imagine if a guy called Cobra directly, they could get the same deal.. :busted_cop:

Ping G410+ 9.0* driver, W/UST Elements Chrome 6R 
Cobra LTD 14.5* W/UST VTS Red 6R
Titleist 818H1 21* w/ UST VTS Silver 85HR
Titleist 818H1 23* w/UST VTS Silver 85HR
Mizuno JPX900 HM 5-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 shafts
Bridgestone J15 wedges (50* /54*/58*)
Cure RX5 Putter 35"

just google'd it, here's the website if interested..

https://www.cobragolf.com/king-f8-one-length-iron-set-trial

Ping G410+ 9.0* driver, W/UST Elements Chrome 6R 
Cobra LTD 14.5* W/UST VTS Red 6R
Titleist 818H1 21* w/ UST VTS Silver 85HR
Titleist 818H1 23* w/UST VTS Silver 85HR
Mizuno JPX900 HM 5-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 shafts
Bridgestone J15 wedges (50* /54*/58*)
Cure RX5 Putter 35"

Great idea by Cobra, I think I've been saying for the last two years they need to do this. Need to get full sets in peoples hands not just one or two demo clubs.

Hope it works for them.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I have a small update on my own single length experience. Actually, a couple updates...

First, I'd been playing the 4 and 5 irons, and 7-SW, the 6 iron had to be ordered separately, as it was out of stock. My 6i clubhead was shipped, per tracking info, delivery was attempted and refused. I was home, and did not speak to anyone; I'd love to know who they talked to. I now have a credit for the item from the vendor. Really quite lovely. /rolleyes

On to the actual club performance aspect of the post.... the Pinhawks have been working moderately well for me, but haven't really been giving me anything I hadn't been getting from my various Ram Tour Grinds (sorry for repeating myself). They've also been tougher to get through the rough, something I've been attributing to their being larger than the clubheads I'm accustomed to playing.

Last week, got a chance to play with them midweek, had the worst round of the year for me, in terms of score. Nothing worked for me. Shots were missed in all sorts of directions, all sorts of fun. I *did* hit a lovely 5 iron over a tree from about 200 yds out that missed just right of the green, I was quite pleased with that. :)

In my disgusted response, I put a set of Ram Tour Grinds back in the bag for my usual Friday round, my FX Nickels, which have DGS parallel, same as the Pinhawks. And promptly shot 17 strokes better than two day prior. Golf is a funny game.

I also had a round yesterday, with my usual set of Golden Rams, and was only one shot worse than with the nickel Rams.

I'm setting the Pinhawks aside for a bit. When I finally score a 6 iron clubhead, I'll finish the set, and give these another go. I'm not taking much of anything from my bad round, no "Pinhawks / SL irons suck" thoughts running through my head; I'm taking this as a weird *sign* that I should wait until the 6 iron is in my possession. I still like the concept quite a bit, and want to give it some time. With a full damn set. LOL

An interesting side note.... Once I get to 100 yards, I don't like hitting full wedges. I've always had a bit of a block trying to hit full wedge shots, so use a lot of pseudo-Pelzian partial GW/SW/LW shots once I get to that 100 yard point. I noticed my partial wedge game with the single length GW and SW was slightly better than with the Rams and other wedges I use with the Rams. I've had an unseemly tendency to pull my partial PW/SW shots with my usual VL sets, something that didn't translate to the SL set. Go figure.

Sorry for the TLDR post.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Sterling Single Lengths player here. I started golf as an old guy and call myself still a beginner of this game. I was fitted and started with a set of 3 Sterling clubs (PW, 8 & 6) in Jan 2017. Back then I was shooting rounds between 100-120 with my old set (hybrids down from i7).

Meanwhile I got a full set of Sterlings Single Lengths from LW to i4, no other clubs in the bag and my score is most of the time between 85-95. On a 9-round I already broke 40 :-)

I love my Sterling Irons and I don't think I will ever go back to variabel lengths. They helped me a lot with smash factor and consistency.

Strange thing is I can't play my hybrids or my driver anymore, because if I try the clubface is often wide open at impact. I don't know if that has something to do with playing 10 clubs which all have the same MOI for clubhead rotation. My pro says its me, not the clubs ;-)

Also I'm struggling with the high and length of my i4. Not from the tee and not in the summer when there are perfect conditions. But on the range where I practice they have very slow range balls. Its very difficult to launch the i4 and i5 there so I tried to hit these clubs on a different way than the others. Took me over a year to noticed that this causes me trouble and now I'm only hitting LW-i8 on that range.

I hit all my tee shots with the i4 (carry & roll = 180-210 meters) and my FiR is often over 70%. With my driver I would hit around 190-220 meters and only 3 out of 10 fairways so the i4 is actually my driving club. But from the fairway i5 could have the same distance than i4. I would love to have a hybrid with the same length and a clubhead, which feels the same like the sterling irons.

Last Sterling Irons I bought were the LW and SW Blade wedges and they were great from day one. Don't felt any awkward at all.

I picked up a set of forged tec blacks and got the sw to round out the set. Still pretty new so my results may change. I'm hitting my sw-pw 5-10 yards longer than VL irons. My 5 and 4 are well short of VL, they are way too close in gap as well. I have noticed the change in swing speed that's not intended but slower with the wedges and faster with the longer irons measured off ball speed with the skytrak. I plan to keep these in the bag and get used to them but I didn't see the instant consistency I was expecting.

anyone who has hit edel and other distance irons, how do they compare distance-wise and height-wise? i'm looking to get my 3-5 irons the same length as my 6 iron, so it's either get the edels or chop down some hollow heads. i assume if anyone's hit both, the other distance irons would be variable length and probably go further. but if they can go more than a club further and higher, the gappings should work out pretty well.

an example set i'm thinking of is (plus get all the swingweights and lie angles from 3-6 to match):

GW-6 = ping iblades

5 = ping i210 6 iron length, i210 sounds like it's longer than iblades which takes care of the .5 inch shorter length

4 = ping i500 6 iron length, i500 sounds like it's longer than i210, taking care of the 4-5 iron gap

3 = ping i500 6 iron length, maybe 1 degree stronger loft for a better gap over 4 iron

course it would be easier to go 3-5 edel, 6-GW something else, but i'm worried about the edel long iron gaps

Got the Forged ONE on demo from Cobra custom spec’d and saw pretty good results right away. I tried them first with the same ball position, and the 5i was well short. The wedges went really high and about 5 yds short, but every shot was so consistent. Nice flush hits that were some of the straightest iron shots I have hit. I am going to play next changing the dynamic loft through the set as I think that should get the flight windows corrected. Loving them so far.

Also my first time trying graphite, and these new Recoils are pretty sweet. No fatigue after a lot of holes like I used to get, and they feel amazing.

anyone who has hit edel and other distance irons, how do they compare distance-wise and height-wise? i'm looking to get my 3-5 irons the same length as my 6 iron, so it's either get the edels or chop down some hollow heads. i assume if anyone's hit both, the other distance irons would be variable length and probably go further. but if they can go more than a club further and higher, the gappings should work out pretty well.

an example set i'm thinking of is (plus get all the swingweights and lie angles from 3-6 to match):

GW-6 = ping iblades

5 = ping i210 6 iron length, i210 sounds like it's longer than iblades which takes care of the .5 inch shorter length

4 = ping i500 6 iron length, i500 sounds like it's longer than i210, taking care of the 4-5 iron gap

3 = ping i500 6 iron length, maybe 1 degree stronger loft for a better gap over 4 iron

course it would be easier to go 3-5 edel, 6-GW something else, but i'm worried about the edel long iron gaps

So you want to play a VL iblade/i220 set and then 2 cut down driving irons. Seen that before. Not really one length, but ok.

Got the Forged ONE on demo from Cobra custom spec’d and saw pretty good results right away. I tried them first with the same ball position, and the 5i was well short. The wedges went really high and about 5 yds short, but every shot was so consistent. Nice flush hits that were some of the straightest iron shots I have hit. I am going to play next changing the dynamic loft through the set as I think that should get the flight windows corrected. Loving them so far.

Also my first time trying graphite, and these new Recoils are pretty sweet. No fatigue after a lot of holes like I used to get, and they feel amazing.

You are overthinking it like everyone else does at first... I had the same early experience. After a few weeks of practice I was longer through the bag. Just have to mentally learn to trust them to do the work.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

So I'm going in. Picked up a stock set of Forged Tec Black 4-9 new in plastic on a FB group, and just ordered a PW and GW to match from Cobra.

I've played AMT before, though I had just switched to PX LZ in my VL Forged Tecs.

Goal here is to simply practice. I do too much adjusting during a range session. Trying to eliminate some variables so I can focus on two or three key things in setup.

I tried the F7s last year but didn't give them a real chance. I'm committing this time to all my off-season practice and rounds and not making a final decision until a couple rounds in the spring.

I did order the PW and GW a little shorter as I had high ball issues with the F7s.

I haven't hit a 4 iron VL very well, will give this a chance before deciding on that vs trying a OL hybrid or utility.

They are "out for delivery" at the moment, need to figure out how to get out of work and hit the range.

I've found myself wanting to choke way down on my PW the last couple rounds. I think when I get in that 125 range and want pinpoint control, my brain wants me hitting something wedge-length.

So I think I may spend some time rethinking my wedges this winter.

Also, I need to figure out my plan for the 215-225 distance. I've decided that I want my VL King Utility set at 18.5-19.5 and to get a lot of work off the tee. Off the deck with a smooth swing, that puts it 225-230. My 4i tops out at 210 on a great swing, but is more reliably around 200. So I may need to try a OL utility or OL hybrid to fill that gap so I'm not trying to overswing my 4i or take too much off my utility. RIght now I have one of my old Mizuno hybrids, but I haven't touched it the last 3-4 rounds.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I've found myself wanting to choke way down on my PW the last couple rounds. I think when I get in that 125 range and want pinpoint control, my brain wants me hitting something wedge-length.

Also, I need to figure out my plan for the 215-225 distance. I've decided that I want my VL King Utility set at 18.5-19.5 and to get a lot of work off the tee. Off the deck with a smooth swing, that puts it 225-230. My 4i tops out at 210 on a great swing, but is more reliably around 200. So I may need to try a OL utility or OL hybrid to fill that gap so I'm not trying to overswing my 4i or take too much off my utility. RIght now I have one of my old Mizuno hybrids, but I haven't touched it the last 3-4 rounds.

Starting to see alot of the Cobra OL utilities and hybrids pop up on eBay now. There wasn't much all summer.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Starting to see alot of the Cobra OL utilities and hybrids pop up on eBay now. There wasn't much all summer.

The OL utilities were on backorder all summer so they were hard to get period... Now that some people's honeymoon periods have faded I expect more to be available resale.

At least I hope because I want to grab another one to fill the gap from my OL Forged 4 iron to my 18.5* OL Forged utility iron.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

The OL utilities were on backorder all summer so they were hard to get period... Now that some people's honeymoon periods have faded I expect more to be available resale.

At least I hope because I want to grab another one to fill the gap from my OL Forged 4 iron to my 18.5* OL Forged utility iron.

I just rebuilt an old 21* hybrid (Tour Edge iron-wood) with a shaft matching my OL irons. Hollow body, titanium face, iron-looks but really easy to hit off the deck. At regular length it looked closed which is why I wasn't playing it, but on the shorter OL shaft it looks nice and square. I was able to get it up to a D0 swingweight and could add more weight if necessary. It should sit somewhere between my King Utility and 4i, and also be a great punch-out club which I use my hybrid for a lot. I'm going to go test it at the range in the next couple days so I have my fingers crossed.

If that doesn't work, I'll be scouring Ebay for a OL Utility 3i.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Combination of work and life has kept me off the course...I went to the range and it did not take me long to get back to hitting quality shots with my Edel's. I am still happy I bought them, and look forward to many years of use from them.

Single Length for life.

I thought somone posted pics in this thread but maybe it was another single length thread.

Anyone had the black/DMB finish long enough to be able to say/show how its held up to a full season of use?

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash