Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Any secrets to hitting the lower lofted clubs. My set goes down to a 5 iron and I can't quit hitting push fades.

Stop trying to swing flatter and pick it like you would a VL 5 iron. Just make a 7 iron swing with it.

Hard to convince yourself to do but its the secret with the single lengths. Hit them all the same regardless of loft. When you start trying to flatten out the longer irons like you would with VL you will start getting stuck and slapping them right with an open face.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Any secrets to hitting the lower lofted clubs. My set goes down to a 5 iron and I can't quit hitting push fades.

How well do you elevate the 5 iron? What's the loft?

Try a hybrid?

I absolutely smoke the 5 and 4 iron from my cobra forged one lengths. By far best long irons I have ever hit in my life, in fact this is the first 4 iron I have ever been able to trust under pressure. The only thing I do different on them is add a little bit of axis til away from the target during my setup as the lofts get lower. Otherwise swing is the same. I hit them plenty high that way.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Single length irons are a revelation for my game. I've always struggled with long irons, and this takes all the mental & physical struggles I have with them out of the equation. It is definitely going to take some time to get used to the shorter clubs launching so high, especially in Texas wind.

But I had two holes yesterday where I had a 200 - 210 shot where my 5 iron was just perfect. I had no anxiety pulling it knowing I had to carry it 180ish, and a mishit wouldn't get there.

I am struggling with elevating the 4 iron off the deck, but I haven't put much range time with it yet.

Realllly want to look at a Cobra/Edel set now.

Ping G400
Ping Anser 3W
Ping Anser 3H
Ping i210 4-PW DGTI X100
Ping Glide 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* Eye2
Ping Glide 2.0 60* E/S
Ping Vault Anser 2

Single length irons are a revelation for my game. I've always struggled with long irons, and this takes all the mental & physical struggles I have with them out of the equation. It is definitely going to take some time to get used to the shorter clubs launching so high, especially in Texas wind.

But I had two holes yesterday where I had a 200 - 210 shot where my 5 iron was just perfect. I had no anxiety pulling it knowing I had to carry it 180ish, and a mishit wouldn't get there.

I am struggling with elevating the 4 iron off the deck, but I haven't put much range time with it yet.

Realllly want to look at a Cobra/Edel set now.

Don't overlook the Sterlings... Great clubs with amazing feel.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Tried them for 9 holes yesterday. 4-7 irons were fine. Distance wise same as VL. Where I'm questioning myself is the 9 and PW. Seemed a tad short distance wise for some reason. Suppose I should just commit to them like the 4-7 and get after it. Was skeptical on my behalf, just need to commit and hit the shot. Once I do hoping I'll be fine. Mine are the F Max OL in graphite. Club feels solid.

I had this problem with the PW and GW in my Sterlings...at first. I'm convinced it was because I was holding back because of the length. Once I learned to let go I got the gaps and distances I needed and expected.

I also had some trouble with the GW because it had less bounce than my old GW. I found the club head passing under the ball a bit. But again, I changed my thinking to be more aggressive and it went away.

What others said about swinging it the same as the other clubs. But, like all low-lofted irons, it will expose an open (or closed) clubface because backspin won't save the sidespin. That doesn't change with SL irons. What DOES change is that the shorter lengths make it more likely you'll square the clubface...if you let it happen.

Decided to play around with the 5 iron slot during the offseason. Its always been an easy club for me to hit in that 200-210 total yardage window but its defintely a no-spin kind of club. Plenty of height, easy to hit - but definitely hits and runs. Worked great on my trip to Scotland where I could play a ton of running shots and for the most part it works here. But if I ever have a shot in that range and need to carry something, it can get dicey. My Epic 3h is a 230ish club so I picked up a couple 24* hybrids to play around with, going to give the M3 and the GAPR hi a shot.

Might be absolutely nothing, who knows. But a public course near me has installed a Trackman and simulator that you can rent out by the hour so it will give me something to play around with this winter.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I pulled my Sterling 5 iron to give my old Ping G30 5 hybrid a rip and man .. I missed that club. It flew x2 higher and stopped within 5 feet. I'm still a SL believer but I think I'll play up to a 6 iron and jump to a 4 hybrid after that.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Little off topic. If reshafting, all SL irons take a 7 iron shaft?

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

I have 5 rounds in with the irons through the Cobra promo and picked up a 3 and 4h as well. Prior to the SL clubs, my bag was hybrid heavy going from a 3 to a 6h. I hadn't hit a 5-6 iron in years. At first, I was skeptical but have to say that the irons are amazing. Although it's still a somewhat small sample size, my GIR with the 5 & 6 is over 60% and they're every bit as long, if not longer than the hybrids. For an old guy, the 5i is just north of 195 yards, again with a smallish sample size.

That's the positive.

Regarding the 3/4h, I'm having a difficult time gaining any consistency with them. I play the ball in the exact same position as the irons but they seem so short. Maybe I'm trying to compensate for that. It would seem logical that a solidly struck 4h, in normal conditions, should go further than the 5i but that's not the case.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions, I'm open to trying them. At this point, I'm leaning toward going back to the 3/4h.

I have 5 rounds in with the irons through the Cobra promo and picked up a 3 and 4h as well. Prior to the SL clubs, my bag was hybrid heavy going from a 3 to a 6h. I hadn't hit a 5-6 iron in years. At first, I was skeptical but have to say that the irons are amazing. Although it's still a somewhat small sample size, my GIR with the 5 & 6 is over 60% and they're every bit as long, if not longer than the hybrids. For an old guy, the 5i is just north of 195 yards, again with a smallish sample size.

That's the positive.

Regarding the 3/4h, I'm having a difficult time gaining any consistency with them. I play the ball in the exact same position as the irons but they seem so short. Maybe I'm trying to compensate for that. It would seem logical that a solidly struck 4h, in normal conditions, should go further than the 5i but that's not the case.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions, I'm open to trying them. At this point, I'm leaning toward going back to the 3/4h.

Do you have the hybrid or the utility irons? I would try the 4 and 3 utility irons if you are hitting the 5i that well.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

That's the positive.

Do you have the hybrid or the utility irons? I would try the 4 and 3 utility irons if you are hitting the 5i that well.

They're the hybrids...might need to experiment with a utility iron. Thank you.

anyone who has hit edel and other distance irons, how do they compare distance-wise and height-wise? i'm looking to get my 3-5 irons the same length as my 6 iron, so it's either get the edels or chop down some hollow heads. i assume if anyone's hit both, the other distance irons would be variable length and probably go further. but if they can go more than a club further and higher, the gappings should work out pretty well.

an example set i'm thinking of is (plus get all the swingweights and lie angles from 3-6 to match):

GW-6 = ping iblades

5 = ping i210 6 iron length, i210 sounds like it's longer than iblades which takes care of the .5 inch shorter length

4 = ping i500 6 iron length, i500 sounds like it's longer than i210, taking care of the 4-5 iron gap

3 = ping i500 6 iron length, maybe 1 degree stronger loft for a better gap over 4 iron

course it would be easier to go 3-5 edel, 6-GW something else, but i'm worried about the edel long iron gaps

I went with your second option. 4-7 in the Edels, and 8-pw in Ping irons. The Single length long irons gapping issue is real, so is the flattening of the decent angle. The Edels do work, beautifully, but they do require good contact and enough swing speed. The Edels vary the COR of the club face to add distance. Of course good contact is the whole point of the single length concept. My solution is: #1 focused practice, to the point that my muscle memory remembers the length and weighting of the Edels (sounds obvious, but it is making the difference). And #2, going to 2 lengths, 36.5" in the short iron and 38" in the long irons. The little extra length offering a bit more speed and the shorten length in the short irons reduces the excessive height the SL short irons produce.

I also have found great success with modifying a ping driving iron to work at a 38" length. Weighting is key. You cannot simply cut down a hot faced long iron and expect it to go the same distance. The 2014 Ping driving iron has a large hollow space where you can add hotmelt. A mixture of tungsten powder and hot glue also works.

Before you buy a new ping long iron, I would find out if you can get the extra weight placed the the heads.

I went with a "normal" 3h and 3i/driving iron at the top of my bag. Have had no issues at all, really enjoying the mix right now.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I went with a "normal" 3h and 3i/driving iron at the top of my bag. Have had no issues at all, really enjoying the mix right now.

The Titleist hybrids are going back in the bag for tomorrow and we'll see how that turns out. Really happy with the irons so hopefully this setup will work. Plus, there's always the dome season to work on the SL Hybrids. Thank you!

The Titleist hybrids are going back in the bag for tomorrow and we'll see how that turns out. Really happy with the irons so hopefully this setup will work. Plus, there's always the dome season to work on the SL Hybrids. Thank you!

DP- as a fellow high-lofted hybrid player I am interested in how you get along with your SL set.

I’m a Sterling player, but I’ve found some hybrids (Adams Super S) that have the same bore diameter and hosel depth as my Wishons, so I play them at 36.5”, same as my irons. The hybrids have so much sole rounding/camber that the differing lie angles don’t really affect my shots. I prefer the size and shape of the Adams hybrids to the Sterling hybrid, and the Super S have high COR values so they gap well. I have some Sterling 4-6 heads coming so I’m eager to see how they compare.

Anyway, just a thought to maybe try some standard hybrids shafted to your SL specs if the Cobra low lofted iron honeymoon wears off.

DP- as a fellow high-lofted hybrid player I am interested in how you get along with your SL set.

I'm a Sterling player, but I've found some hybrids (Adams Super S) that have the same bore diameter and hosel depth as my Wishons, so I play them at 36.5", same as my irons. The hybrids have so much sole rounding/camber that the differing lie angles don't really affect my shots. I prefer the size and shape of the Adams hybrids to the Sterling hybrid, and the Super S have high COR values so they gap well. I have some Sterling 4-6 heads coming so I'm eager to see how they compare.

Anyway, just a thought to maybe try some standard hybrids shafted to your SL specs if the Cobra low lofted iron honeymoon wears off.

Appreciate the thoughts! Getting the range time with the irons, especially the 5 and 6 made me very comfortable/confident with them. Knowing you can make the same swing with the same tempo is a huge positive. They're also a bit wider of a sole so they interact with the turf nicely. In all fairness to the hybrids, I think it's mental. The clubs just seem so very short and I just need to get the same comfort with them as the irons.

Can you simply turn any irons into one length set? I want to try to change my Ping G irons into one length irons. What do I need to look for besides all the shafts being 1 length?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to build or convert a set of golf clubs for single-length play using conventional club-heads. A set of single-length club-heads must be the exact same weight and have the exact same lie angle, bounce angle, face offset, etc. throughout the set. Conventional club-heads are progressively weighted in 7 gram increments from the #3 iron through the wedges and have varying lie angles, face offsets, and bounce angles which cannot be adjusted. Also, it is impossible to adjust the lie/loft angles of conventional irons without creating stress fractures in the hosel, and certainly cannot bend them over 2º without snapping the hosel. Therefore, it becomes impossible to modify a set of conventional iron club-heads for single-length play.

Can you simply turn any irons into one length set? I want to try to change my Ping G irons into one length irons. What do I need to look for besides all the shafts being 1 length?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to build or convert a set of golf clubs for single-length play using conventional club-heads. A set of single-length club-heads must be the exact same weight and have the exact same lie angle, bounce angle, face offset, etc. throughout the set. Conventional club-heads are progressively weighted in 7 gram increments from the #3 iron through the wedges and have varying lie angles, face offsets, and bounce angles which cannot be adjusted. Also, it is impossible to adjust the lie/loft angles of conventional irons without creating stress fractures in the hosel, and certainly cannot bend them over 2º without snapping the hosel. Therefore, it becomes impossible to modify a set of conventional iron club-heads for single-length play.

Wishon Sterling irons have progressive offset. Cobras too, I think. Cobras have varying lie angles.

So not quite a full year test. My injury and surgery kept me from a lot of golf. My scores have kind of improved or lets say that my iron play has improved. I have all but eliminated the thin and fat shot. I still get the errant hook or fade, but I feel thats mostly due to mental mistakes. What they have done is exposed strengthened other flaws. Hear me out. I feel the "one swing" tries to insert itself with my other VL clubs. If I go a stretch where i do not need my 3wood and then I am in a situation where I should use it, It feels kinda foreign. On the range no problem because I switch back and forth often.

I find that I want to choke up on the Driver, 3wood, an hybrids to make them more comfortable to swing. I know much of this must be me and why I dig the single length concept, it's just that not all are SL and I have a hard time making the physical and mental shift..

I picked up a set of Edel VL cavity backs to test this winter - spring. Not to compare SL vs VL, but more of what I am capable of. Below are my years worth of scores, heart on my sleeve. I also had some physical hiccups which are noted. The 2 day trip the the RTJ Oxmoor was disastrous - 40mph+ winds and some rain, but I loved it..

And, I am a teacher - golf is expensive!

New clubs Cobra F7 Modus 105x shafts, Fall 17: 90, 95, 89, 92, 85, 80, 79, 77, 84, 92, 91, 87, 81, 88, 85, 84,

RTJ Oxmoor 101& 98,

93, 96,

Knee Injury April - surgery late July (no golf till late Aug)

80, 86, 85, 87, 89, 87, 94, 93,

Back Injury on the 5th hole of club championship - brace, drugs and Heineken - 95, 102

The march continues......

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

OneLength!

I was one length, left, and am considering a potential return.

Acknowledging that the appropriate answer is “get fit, dude”:

I was fitted for my Ping VL set:

- Blue dot, half inch long, project x 6.0LZ

Would/ should lie-length-shaft automatically work for a one length set?

I.e. Find a Cobra set with the same specs?

Last Saturday, which was possibly the last round of the season, featured 9 SL iron shots from 185 and in. 7 of 9 were converted to a GIR, one on the fringe short and 1 long. The amazing part is how straight the shots flew.

Still struggling with the hybrids and they won't go back into the bag until dome season...which could begin on Saturday.

OneLength!

I was one length, left, and am considering a potential return.

Acknowledging that the appropriate answer is “get fit, dude”:

I was fitted for my Ping VL set:

- Blue dot, half inch long, project x 6.0LZ

Would/ should lie-length-shaft automatically work for a one length set?

I.e. Find a Cobra set with the same specs?

Get fit dude...

Blue dot is only .75 degrees upright I believe so you could try and stock set out and adjust as needed if you just want to experiment.