Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

I was looking at used sets as well but there are just too many variables to roll the dice. I am going to go get fit in a couple of weeks. Dropping the extra money will be worth it to me because I won't have any doubt if the clubs are optimized for my swing. Reading the reviews, it seems that a 2 gram change can have a big impact.

I picked up a set of the Edels last night after going back and forth with the seller for a long time. Set looks barely used and were the exact specs I needed with the 110g shafts. I was able to get it for less than half what I would have paid new which made it worth the gamble on a used set. Plus its a 4-SW set so if I can sell off the 4 and SW on ebay for even a small something, it will make the price really worthwhile. Should have them by Friday, just in time for the long weekend.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

A little over a month in with the Edel SLS-01's, and I'm still like a kid on Christmas morning. My iron play has become so much more consistent. Scores have been dropping (index will drop to at least a 12.7 after the next revision). I've been pleasantly surprised at how forgiving they are, and it's great knowing exactly where a mis-hit was with them.

I picked up a set of the Edels last night after going back and forth with the seller for a long time. Set looks barely used and were the exact specs I needed with the 110g shafts. I was able to get it for less than half what I would have paid new which made it worth the gamble on a used set. Plus its a 4-SW set so if I can sell off the 4 and SW on ebay for even a small something, it will make the price really worthwhile. Should have them by Friday, just in time for the long weekend.

Hey dc. Did you do a fitting to know you needed a set with the 110g shafts? How do you know the weights are right for you?

Been a long while since posting in this thread especially as one of the early OG single length adopters.

Long story short there was just nothing to add. I'm a firmly in the SL camp, they have helped put my name on a club championship trophy and add a new level of consistency to my game.

I'm still using the F7 one length and my handicap is still hovering between 2.5 and 3.5 after 80 rounds this year. (I was a 5.X two years ago). The goal is still scratch but I definitely have some flaws to fix in my swing before knocking that door down.

Big fan of these clubs and will likely buy a backup set of the Cobras unless Ping creates a SL set.

If Ping does it I will walk in and purchase on the spot. Until then I am still enjoying my Sterlings very much. Scores improved, handicap dropped, and my GIR shot up 20%

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Hey dc. Did you do a fitting to know you needed a set with the 110g shafts? How do you know the weights are right for you?

I have used shafts that were @ 110 on two of my more recent sets and the fitter that I emailed said that if I liked the 110s in the Steelfibers, these would work just fine.

Are the weights going to be perfect? Who knows. But if I can sell off a couple of the irons I'm not going to use, I'll be into this set for @ $650. Thats a far cry from $1800-2000. For that much of a difference, I'll take the chance.

FWIW I did a full iron fitting once on irons that you could completely customize each head for weight and I was not impressed. Not with irons per se but just that I'm simply not a consistant enough ball striker to know the difference in a gram or two from club to club.

I'm not going to grind over the comparison though. I will take both sets out on the course and IMO I will know within a few holes whether they are even in the running.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I have used shafts that were @ 110 on two of my more recent sets and the fitter that I emailed said that if I liked the 110s in the Steelfibers, these would work just fine.

Are the weights going to be perfect? Who knows. But if I can sell off a couple of the irons I'm not going to use, I'll be into this set for @ $650. Thats a far cry from $1800-2000. For that much of a difference, I'll take the chance.

FWIW I did a full iron fitting once on irons that you could completely customize each head for weight and I was not impressed. Not with irons per se but just that I'm simply not a consistant enough ball striker to know the difference in a gram or two from club to club.

I'm not going to grind over the comparison though. I will take both sets out on the course and IMO I will know within a few holes whether they are even in the running.

+1 Thanks, dcmidnight. I'm also not a great ballstriker, but heavier shaft weights seem to "click" with me.

It may be fate that you snagged the set off the bay I was looking at, and that the latest auction for the other set I was looking at just got pulled. Probably the golf gods reminding me (again) to work on my swing before blowing 10 crisp Benjamins on more clubs I can't swing well...

You guys have me thinking about trying something like this. Well, y'all as well as the friend who bought F7 One Length irons this year, and loves them.

Toying with buying either 4-5 or 4-6 irons in Pinhawks and giving them a workout; already have a set of parallel shafts lying around waiting to be used. Maybe add the PW or GW, since that's the other end of the spectrum that generates trajectory worries.

Like I need another set of irons....

NRJyzer...DO IT.

Well, I bought a Pinhawk 4i from Value Golf, 1* up. Would have also bought a GW but they're currently sold out; it'll have to wait. The 4i is downstairs drying, I'll take it along to the season end scramble night (tomorrow) in the league for which I'm a sub. And, I'll bring it along for my friend to hit during my Friday round. 4 iron is possibly his best club.

I may or may not tell him it's the same loft as his 3 iron. ;)

And... I also picked up a Pinhawk 4h to build for my wife. Might not be enough loft for her, but I think it's worth a shot. She doesn't have anything in that slot, not liking fwy woods. If she hates it, maybe someone else will like it...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I picked up a set of Pinhawks 4-PW and am struggling with them the first couple of times out on the range. I think it's the typical issues: ballooning short irons, low long irons, inconsistent distance gaps (small gaps with 4-6 and large gaps for 8-pw).

I hit my current variable length decent but was looking for something more consistent in longer irons. Any tips for SL as far as ball placement, dig vs sweep, other swing changes?

I picked them up on ebay as an experiment so I wasn't fitted for shaft. They are idrive graphite which are 70 grams. My VL set is Cobra S2 Forged with PX 6.0

I picked up a set of Pinhawks 4-PW and am struggling with them the first couple of times out on the range. I think it's the typical issues: ballooning short irons, low long irons, inconsistent distance gaps (small gaps with 4-6 and large gaps for 8-pw).

I hit my current variable length decent but was looking for something more consistent in longer irons. Any tips for SL as far as ball placement, dig vs sweep, other swing changes?

I picked them up on ebay as an experiment so I wasn't fitted for shaft. They are idrive graphite which are 70 grams. My VL set is Cobra S2 Forged with PX 6.0

I'm not liking the shaft change you just made. That could easily account for the problems you are seeing. Let's put it this way. At least one of your two iron sets is horribly wrong for you. :)

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I'm not liking the shaft change you just made. That could easily account for the problems you are seeing. Let's put it this way. At least one of your two iron sets is horribly wrong for you. :)

Agree 100%. The iDrives are decent enough shafts for the super short money they cost, but they're worlds apart from the PX's. Probably producing a dramatically different swing weight as well. The first set of PinHawks I built had iDrives in them, and they were just way too light for me, even though I cut them as stiff flex. I rebuilt them with Graphite Design G-Tech shafts at 90 grams, and it made a world of difference. When I got fit for my Edels, I wound up in the 110 gram Paderson shaft, which was even better suited to me.

As far as ball placement, etc... just hit every club like whatever club the set is based off, typically a 6, 7, or 8 iron. Compare them to your VL set, and whichever club is closest in length to the PinHawks, that's the setup and swing you want to use.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm sure you're totally correct on this one.

For some history, I used to play S300 in my 6-pw irons and wanted to extend my set so got 4-8 on eBay but with the PX 6.0.

I've never played anything but S300 and I never knew a shaft could make so much of a difference. I started hitting all my irons about 10% longer and the ball flight was so much higher (in a good way, I never balloon the ball). Went to Edwin watts to see some numbers and with S300 was getting about 7.5k rpm of backspin with a 7 iron and was down to 6.5k with PX 6.0. I'm a digger. I haven't hit my irons with S300 since.

I figured if a little lighter weight in the PX vs S300 is good, then more must be better and maybe I should try graphite, definitely an experiment gone wrong. The Pinhawks do feel heavier in the head and I feel like I have to swing them like my whippy tempomaster training aid.

Wife has been talking about wanting to play a bit more. Last night, I showed her the 4h I'd built for her. Last weekend, she also spoke of her driver being beat up, maybe needing replacing. After seeing her new club, she thought it time for a driver, also.

Acer XV in 14* is the choice. Why does that matter?

Well, I ordered it from Value Golf. Value Golf, the home of the Pinhawk irons. I now have a PW clubhead on it's way to me, which I'll assemble in a second piece of the demo experience. LOL

Down on the South coast, a large dude in a cheesy devil suit is grinning....

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Lordy these are freaking HAWT

Unfortunately do to a running...accident, I cant put any weight on my left foot until Sunday so these will sit until next weekend.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I received my 4 and 5 one length hybrids today. I played a round with them and hit them about 6 times. They are definitely easier to hit than the irons. My 5 iron would go low and hook 30 yards. The hybrid has a normal flight but I still hook it about 10 yards. I think I'm prob just over swinging it. Just in case anyone was wondering, I was hitting the 5 about 195 and the 4 about 205. If you are struggling with the low irons these are worth it. Now if they'd just make a 6 hybrid.

Earlier this year I bought a set of Taylormade M2s, having not played golf since 2011, my older irons were Taylormade Burners from '09. I had considered getting OL, the idea was very intriguing, but not being able to demo them I opted for traditional progressive irons.

I found a set of F8 combos on sale for an excellent deal and popped for a set today. Going to sell my M2s, hopefully I can get at least half of what I paid for them ?

Excited to try OL irons, hopefully I'll see some noticeable improvement in my game. Btw, I've been a die hard Taylormade fan for years, but the science behind the OL was enough to convince me to try Cobra. I'm not a good golfer so the yardage gap issue I've read about isn't really an issue with me. A consistent swing which I'm hoping to have more with the same length irons is what I want.

So after a summer with the OL Forged from Cobra I can say with near certainty that I am never going back. I have never hit better long irons in my life and the short irons are now equally easy. I got rid of my hybrid and picked up one of the 2/3 one length utility irons from Cobra. This thing is so easy to hit it should be illegal. I used to dread 220 shots, because at least 1 out of 4 was going to be an abomination. Not so anymore. It feels so amazing to play like this.

If they made a 37.5" driver I would buy it!

With that thought in mind I built a 41" driver and it is an amazing fairway finder. Sure I can only hit it 260 max, but 250 in the middle of the fairway allows for much better scoring than hitting 6 fairways and blasting 8 other shots into the woods/desert.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Well, I bought a Pinhawk 4i from Value Golf...

Small update. :)

I took the opportunity to hit this once in my round last Friday. Only the one time, though. Hit it on a short par 4, a moderately low bullet that flew reasonably close to what I expect from a 20* club. It was lower than I remember hitting my friend's F7 One 4i (both shafted DGS). To be fair, I hit down on it like a short iron, so i got what i put in. ;)

I'm intrigued enough to give it a few more swings. I'll also be assembling the PW to bring along. Bag is getting crowded. LOL

Lordy these are freaking HAWT

Unfortunately do to a running...accident, I cant put any weight on my left foot until Sunday so these will sit until next weekend.

You're going to LOVE them. I am still in love with mine and have ZERO regrets about having gotten the Edel SLS01 irons.

So after a summer with the OL Forged from Cobra I can say with near certainty that I am never going back. I have never hit better long irons in my life and the short irons are now equally easy. I got rid of my hybrid and picked up one of the 2/3 one length utility irons from Cobra. This thing is so easy to hit it should be illegal. I used to dread 220 shots, because at least 1 out of 4 was going to be an abomination. Not so anymore. It feels so amazing to play like this.

With that thought in mind I built a 41" driver and it is an amazing fairway finder. Sure I can only hit it 260 max, but 250 in the middle of the fairway allows for much better scoring than hitting 6 fairways and blasting 8 other shots into the woods/desert.

Tell me about this 41" long driver you built. What shaft, head, specs, loft, etc.

I am curious as to what you did.

Tell me about this 41" long driver you built. What shaft, head, specs, loft, etc.

I am curious as to what you did.

Ping G400 LST, with a Kuro Kage Silver Tini 80 gram, tipped 1.5", calced I needed to add 26 grams to the head to get it back up to D0, was lucky that the adjustable Swingweight in my LST was starting as a 5 gram weight so I got one of the 18 gram swing weights. I then added a 5 gram tip weight to the shaft so that got me to 18...I then stuffed 8 grams worth of yarn into the hole in the weight port to get to weight...I figured if it failed I could pull the yarn back out...It works awesome...

I also made a 43" with a UST TOUR SPX Black 70 gram tipped 1" and just changing the head weight, without a shaft tip weight. I actually think this is going to be my gamer...but if I am playing something tight and treelined it is going to be the 41"er

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle