2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Have any of you guys used the JumboMax grips...or larger grips in general? What was your experience? Does it keep you from being “Handy’s”?

I use Winn DriTac oversized. I was never handsy to start with but I love the feel of them.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

OK so I am curious, stingy, and have a bunch of basically new graphite shafts laying around...so got me to thinking.

I bought a set of F7 Cobras on eBay, 5-G...but I am likely to just go all in (even though they not even here yet! Call it Sunday evening rumination!)

I looked at adding a 4H to the set, but see that those cost almost as much as I paid for all the irons!

Got me to thinking - would a Pinhawk 4H head fit into the set well? Or am I just adding new variables at a time when I am trying to remove variables from the equation. What would the considerations be? Lie is the same. Swingweight? Distance gapping (although the lofts are a bit out - Cobra 22, Pinhawk 20 on the 4). What else am I missing here?

I guess I could ask the same question about sandwedges too, but the 4H would be the priority.

OK so I am curious, stingy, and have a bunch of basically new graphite shafts laying around...so got me to thinking.

I bought a set of F7 Cobras on eBay, 5-G...but I am likely to just go all in (even though they not even here yet! Call it Sunday evening rumination!)

I looked at adding a 4H to the set, but see that those cost almost as much as I paid for all the irons!

Got me to thinking - would a Pinhawk 4H head fit into the set well? Or am I just adding new variables at a time when I am trying to remove variables from the equation. What would the considerations be? Lie is the same. Swingweight? Distance gapping (although the lofts are a bit out - Cobra 22, Pinhawk 20 on the 4). What else am I missing here?

I guess I could ask the same question about sandwedges too, but the 4H would be the priority.

I have a set of Wishon Sterlings 5-SW and had the same dilemma. I wasn't keen on dropping $289 CDN + tax so I picked up a 21* Wishon hybrid and I had it built it up as my 4 iron. While not true single length it's only about 3/4" longer then my 5 iron and works out great.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I suppose you could get a hybrid head with an interchangeable weight option. That would help dial in the length you're looking for:

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ke4-tc-hybrids/p/ma0301/

https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-hybrids/acer-xv-hybrid-clubhead.html

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Yeah I did kind of ponder that, but a 4H should have a 40 inch shaft, chopping it to 37.25 or so would really throw the swing weight out - and that's before I deal with the lie issue (a couple of unbendable degrees out there as well).

It was what got me thinking about whether I could just switch brands to a hybrid designed to almost-match.

Well the F8 short irons/wedges are back in the bag, the 790 experiement lasted @ a month.

I think I waited longer for the clubs to ship than they lasted in my bag lol.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Well the F8 short irons/wedges are back in the bag, the 790 experiement lasted @ a month.

I think I waited longer for the clubs to ship than they lasted in my bag lol.

huh, interesting. i just ordered my P790s this weekend. I guess I better keep my F8s around then :ninja:

I was SO SET for the Forged Tecs but then I tried them with the AMT S300 shafts - major problemo in the short irons, felt like a 2x4 in the litmus test 8 iron were short & right. The 5 & 4 were pretty good. My F8s with the Tour V 110g stiff were much betterbut I did learn, my swing and body needs the lighter shaft unless I buff up back in the gym. I went with the Modus 3 in the regular flex in my P790s as a conseqeunce. We shall see...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Decided to finally experiment today buffing off the finish on the F8s. Ordered a few different polishing wheels off Amazon for the Dremel and damn if it didnt actually work. Nothing perfect but its 100x better than the finish was and if I'm lucky maybe they will start to cloud/rust a bit.

Before and afters were a little tough to shoot with the light in my kitchen. But I'll be hitting them again after I play tomorrow.

It works especially well on the topline and toe area. Cleans up the soles real nice too.

If you look at the sole of that 7 iron and think damn that looks like crap, keep in mind its only been in the bag for a few months.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Just checking in - I'm a relative newb. I've played off and on for a couple of years but this year I am going out 3 times a week for 9 holes with my son who is on his school golf team (he absolutely destroys me). Since switching from game improvement irons (Ping G25) to F8's 5-GW and getting the OL Hybrid I have taken off an average of 10 strokes per round! I've gone from a double par type player to averaging bogey. That may not sound great to you guys, but it's HUGE for me!! I'm finally enjoying playing instead of leaving the course feeling totally defeated. I'm totally sold. For me, for now, OL is making the game playable. More than that, it's made it enjoyable.

Decided to finally experiment today buffing off the finish on the F8s. Ordered a few different polishing wheels off Amazon for the Dremel and damn if it didnt actually work. Nothing perfect but its 100x better than the finish was and if I'm lucky maybe they will start to cloud/rust a bit.

Before and afters were a little tough to shoot with the light in my kitchen. But I'll be hitting them again after I play tomorrow.

It works especially well on the topline and toe area. Cleans up the soles real nice too.

If you look at the sole of that 7 iron and think damn that looks like crap, keep in mind its only been in the bag for a few months.

would you mind posting the amazon link to the polishing wheels you used? Those look great!

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

would you mind posting the amazon link to the polishing wheels you used? Those look great!

I'd be interest4ed in that too

i tried using the brass tips that come with the Dremel Golf Cleaner - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0765C73LK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it didn't do a great job, kind of worked but i really had to use metal polish and a cotton buffer to get the finish better.

Oh yeah I imagine those metal ones would be hard to use - really abrasive and narrow too.

I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010NLHCOW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The black buffer was the least grit - 400 grit - its the one I used. The only downside to these is that little tiny pieces come off at high speeds, so I wore glasses.

$12 for 40 though.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Going on 3rd year? of my Sterling SL irons, 53 yr old player. My consistency and HC hasn't been lower in a very long time since changing over. The only real practice I do is my short game for the most part, which includes my putting which always needs a lot of work lol. There are times that I wish I had the boring lower flight of my old TZoids that I played for 12+ years, but my distance control and ball striking is much more consistent across the board and it has showed up in my HC as my rounds are much more consistent. Being a taller player, I just feel like I am in posture on a consistent basis throughout the swing in playing SL irons. Your mileage may vary.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

I'm getting around to reshafting my homebrew SL set (Wishon 752 heads re-weighted to 273 and bent to 63). I'm pulling the DG SL R flex, which is fairly stout, and installing Apollo Phantom firm flex, which is fairly weak. I already did the 7 iron and loved it. Now I'm doing the 5 and 9 to make sure. I'll play the mixed set a little so I can see and feel the evens vs the odds side by side. I'm looking forward to getting back to them. I played some of my best golf with them.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Going on 3rd year? of my Sterling SL irons, 53 yr old player. My consistency and HC hasn't been lower in a very long time since changing over. The only real practice I do is my short game for the most part, which includes my putting which always needs a lot of work lol. There are times that I wish I had the boring lower flight of my old TZoids that I played for 12+ years, but my distance control and ball striking is much more consistent across the board and it has showed up in my HC as my rounds are much more consistent. Being a taller player, I just feel like I am in posture on a consistent basis throughout the swing in playing SL irons. Your mileage may vary.

What length are your Wishon hybrids at?

I want to like my F7s so bad ... but my long irons are all low left, and the rest of my clubs seem a club short of what i'used to with comparative shafts, grips, etc.

What am I doing wrong?

Tried them for a few months and saw no improvement, so sold them and went back to VL. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. If they truly were the panacea for what ails all golfers, they'd be way more popular. Even at the same lengths, each club feels different when you swing it. And like all pros, dechambeau works tirelessly on his technique, so single length is only one component of his golf swing. Anyway, I heard Duval say on the Golf Channel this morning that he thought dechambeau went to a shorter length for his shorter clubs, so if that's true, I wonder what it will mean for the marketing at Cobra.

dechambeau works tirelessly on his technique

One thing I've definitely found is that people think SL is going to be some sort of magic bullet for a bad swing, bad technique, bad iron play - take your pick. Just pick up a set of these single length clubs and you will magically play better! Nah, you really wont. If you're not willing to/ cant put in the time/effort you will end up with just as bad a swing as you have with VL clubs.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Finally decided to try SL after seeing bit inconsistency in my long irons. I was wondering if I should get stiff or regular flex? I play stiff flex on all my clubs, but I was thinking maybe going regular flex to get little more distance and height on SL long irons. Not sure this logic is correct.

If you are left handed, I have a Pinhawk 4h head I'd sell. I tried and it didn't work for me. In fact I'm back to VL. My swing speed is to low for the 4-6. If interested I can PM pics and price.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Still playing Sterling Single Lengths. Extended then from 36.5 to 37" except left the wedges 36.5 and that works better for me, 5-GW, never got along with the SW. Curious to try Cobra Forged Blacks and the utility or hybrid, my biggest problem with the Sterling's is small gaps in the long irons, iron SS 80-83. I have the wishon 5H but is seems to go 5yds shorter than the 5iron, wonder if I got one with not a very hot face.

If you are left handed, I have a Pinhawk 4h head I'd sell. I tried and it didn't work for me. In fact I'm back to VL. My swing speed is to low for the 4-6. If interested I can PM pics and price.

Right handed sorry. Thanks for the offer.

My stats are showing my 6 iron and higher irons are doing really well but my 190+ game is very poor. So after much thinking, I am going to go back to VL for a while. My Ansers are gone but I am going the P790 route. They arrived today and I am liking what I am seeing with my 5 & 4 irons. Although the 8, 9 and PW all felt weirdly short , length wise, but no issues with 3/4 and full shots in terms of distance.

The F8s will go to my backup bag to see how the P790s turn out. Sweet looking irons and nice feel. But, I have to say, the Cobra also did a fantactic job with the feel as well.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

Got a golfmechanix loft/lie Bender and found my wishon 5H was 24* and 5I was 22*. Guess that's why the hybrid was shorter. Bent the hybrid to 22* and made it 37.5" (half inch longer than my 6I) and it has turned it to a machine, just really consistent with a good yardage gap from 6I (20yrds). It has an open face now which is pretty annoying, I usually set up with the club soled, but I have to rotate this one back to square to take my grip, learning to get used to this.

Got a golfmechanix loft/lie Bender and found my wishon 5H was 24* and 5I was 22*. Guess that's why the hybrid was shorter. Bent the hybrid to 22* and made it 37.5" (half inch longer than my 6I) and it has turned it to a machine, just really consistent with a good yardage gap from 6I (20yrds). It has an open face now which is pretty annoying, I usually set up with the club soled, but I have to rotate this one back to square to take my grip, learning to get used to this.

It was probably right. When replacing an iron with a hybrid the hybrid will generally have more loft than the iron its replacing due to the hybrid having by a greater MOI.

For practicality, I would advise buying purpose built SL irons. As Johnny Noke posted, the Integra i-Wins look good but don't get talked about.

I made my own set from regular irons because at the time both the Sterlings and Pinhawks were sold out and way backordered. I used lead tape on the 5 and 6 irons. On the short irons and wedges I drilled holes in the shelf above the sole, in the cavity on my irons. I've noticed most irons don't have a convenient place to drill such holes, but mine did. (Wishon 752's.)

Lie angles were no problem because you're only moving a degree or two to match the 7 iron. I used shafts tipped as 7 irons. The set works just fine, as good as any Pinhawks etc. But today, I'd just buy something.

Oh, I also made a set from Ping G2 irons. The black oval weight on the back of the club comes out by applying a dab of heat to the face, opposite the weight. Then pop it out with a small screwdriver. With those out, the heads are very light. For the longer irons, I used 6 gram Tungsten weights that Wishon sells. I could stack them side by side and get up to 4 of them in the cavity, then surround them with epoxy. The 5 iron still needed about another 7 grams though, so either lead tape or something in the shaft tip. The others were easy. I recall the PW was just the empty cavity. It was not a problem to bend them, other than the fact that you have to slam the living krap out of the bar to make them bend. lol. I was pretty proud of them but after playing them, I remembered how much I do not like a lot of bounce in my numbered irons!

Have broken 90 in 4 of 10 rounds and have yet to go higher than a 97 with OneLengths so far. Better scoring wise than my VL experience and am hitting some better iron shots. It seems Iike SL produces less punishing bad shots than VL...but, based on my ability, the amount of good shots are about the same.

Ideally do not want to have 2 sets of clubs. Will need to make a decision to keep or unload.

73 today with the P790s. These are magic, luv them, very easy to hit and they are long.

And it was such a contrast with the F8. I had a 207 to the pin, hit my 5 iron, one bounce, 2 bounce and it released, hit the green! My buds all said that with my Cobras, I was always short of the green. "Most of your shots were short, short but not today", was his comment. On another hole, I had a 155 to the hole, hit my P790 8 iron, it actually bounced and gave me some release. My F8 8 iron would never do that. The only part the F8 rawked was my chip irons but was not so hot in the P790s, its just a question of adapting to the shorter lengths vs consistent lengths in the F8 and also the lie angles. I'll get it back, just a question of time...

I am done with the F8s and at least I gave it a fair shot. Enjoy the thread guys :)