2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Took a picture of my Sterlings today. I run Vokey wedges which are a tad shorter. My 5 iron is a tad longer just to help with lift and some extra distance.

My new hybrid is going to get trimmed down to about an 1" longer then my irons.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I scrapped my Cobra F7 SL irons. The 9-GW were too long to handle effectively and made my longer clubs feel too long.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I scrapped my Cobra F7 SL irons. The 9-GW were too long to handle effectively and made my longer clubs feel too long.

That's why I went with the Sterlings.. I felt 36.5" was a better length to bridge that gap.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Kind of funny, I remember some of the handles here on an old alternative swing forum.

I'm going through a run of bad golf and have decided to return to single axis after dropping it 20 years ago.

In the spirit of this thread, I decided to pick up a set of SL irons as an experiment.

Found a used set from GigaGolf that was +1" and 3* upright. Since I am replacing the grips, I might try to extend them some more.

For those doing some version of single axis with SL irons, are you using jumbo grips? If so, what brand? Are they tapered or straight?

Kind of funny, I remember some of the handles here on an old alternative swing forum.

I'm going through a run of bad golf and have decided to return to single axis after dropping it 20 years ago.

In the spirit of this thread, I decided to pick up a set of SL irons as an experiment.

Found a used set from GigaGolf that was +1" and 3* upright. Since I am replacing the grips, I might try to extend them some more.

For those doing some version of single axis with SL irons, are you using jumbo grips? If so, what brand? Are they tapered or straight?

I still use SA, for 14 years now. I don't use jumbo grips. My glove size is medium, and I use midsize grips. I prefer the ones with reduced taper. I would like no taper grips, if they weren't so heavy and if they still had a larger diameter end for a more secure feeling. I recently bought a driver that came with the classic Winn Excel grip, which fits those desires. I'm going to order a dozen and try them out.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I still use SA, for 14 years now. I don't use jumbo grips. My glove size is medium, and I use midsize grips. I prefer the ones with reduced taper. I would like no taper grips, if they weren't so heavy and if they still had a larger diameter end for a more secure feeling. I recently bought a driver that came with the classic Winn Excel grip, which fits those desires. I'm going to order a dozen and try them out.

Thanks Snowman9000! Definitely remember you from the old SA Forum. Which flavor SA do you use? Any one instructor in particular?

Thanks Snowman9000! Definitely remember you from the old SA Forum. Which flavor SA do you use? Any one instructor in particular?

My swing is based on one of the later generations of NG, prior to them being resuscitated by Graves Golf. I think Kirk Junge is teaching about the same thing I am using. He is more flexible than Graves are as far as working with a person's physical limitations. What was your username on the SA forum? There is still an alternative swing forum on Tapatalk.com/groups. Some of the old forum's gang is there.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Yeah grip size is all over the place with SA golfers. One guy, you might remember Remington, tells me he uses one sold by Diamond Tour that is 1/4 inch oversize. I believe that is the same size as one of the smaller Jumbo Max. I've never tried anything bigger than Golfpride Jumbos. I decided on my preference by finding it big enough to not have air gaps where there shouldn't be between the grip and the trail hand, and no bigger than that.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I'm going with Winn Dritac oversized... I like them but club tangle can be a pain. I was thinking of a midsized grip with minimal taper.

Played 9 with my diy SL set last night for the first time. Took them straight from the bench to the course, lol. Overall it was a success. I had two great 5h shots and the rest were about how I usually hit it; gapping was nearly the same. Short game with SL will take some practice but my back appreciates standing taller.

Adams Super S hybrids - 3 and 5

Wishon 870ti 6-PW

Integra iWin LW

All heads weigh 294g. 36.5". PX 6.5 with Karma Jumbo grips. Backweighted about 30g. So yeah, they're hammers, but I like the feel and I really didn't want to grind on my Wishons.

I was trying out the Integra and will probably add at least the SW to this set. It's a forgiving head, matches the 870's well, and looks good to me with the badge removed. I use my 60* for most short game shots and I like a lot of bounce, so the Integra worked well with 12* of it.

I'm excited to play more with this set. Thanks to everyone for their info in this thread.

I am using GB MCC Decades midsize with one extra wrap on my Edels. I had been using oversize grips on my older irons and the smaller grips keep me from choking the club to death and allow me to release the club head more efficiently.

The problem I am having with SL is they are all shafted with PX LZ but they don't play the same. The short irons have more flex, the long irons play stiff and the 8-6 are perfect. This requires different tempos, which imo takes away from the one swing philosophy. In speaking with cobra they said they accounted for this in the newer versions but butt trimming, etc. I'm no club builder but it makes sense.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

The problem I am having with SL is they are all shafted with PX LZ but they don't play the same. The short irons have more flex, the long irons play stiff and the 8-6 are perfect. This requires different tempos, which imo takes away from the one swing philosophy. In speaking with cobra they said they accounted for this in the newer versions but butt trimming, etc. I'm no club builder but it makes sense.

If the clubs are all one length and the heads all weight the same, why in the world would the shafts be 'different'? Why wouldn't the just use the appropriate length shaft or butt trim all shafts to the same spec?

That makes no sense to me...I'm not saying you're wrong, but this just seems odd.

Bought a set of last year's king one forged after trying out a 7 iron. Solid head Nd .ore forgiving than it looks. They arrive tomorrow and I simply cannot wait. Ordered the matching gap wedge and the 56 & 60 wedges as well. Will update once I take em out for spin. I have a very good feeling that this will be a permanent move!

I was told because they were tip trimmed and they have since learned to butt trim on custom shaft orders. Like I said, I'm no club builder but the play of the shafts in the different clubs is very noticeable.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

I like the concept of the same length for irons. But I'm too old to convert. The old dog new tricks thing.........

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I was told because they were tip trimmed and they have since learned to butt trim on custom shaft orders. Like I said, I'm no club builder but the play of the shafts in the different clubs is very noticeable.

Yeah it was a dumb idea on Cobra's part to do this. Why on earth they just didn't order a bunch of 7 iron shafts is beyond me if they knew they only came in taper tip at the time. Project X shafts play much stiffer when they start to get longer due to the longer butt section where more mass is accumulated. Conversely, if they are softstepping 8-PW and then butt-trimming to length, they would play super soft as the tip section is far more active than it should be given the head weight change plus they are cutting away a lot of the balance point of the shaft.

If I were you I'd be on the phone to Cobra asking for a free reshaft. That is TERRIBLE club work and should never have even been proposed. You've basically got an unusable, reverse frequency matched set of irons. Honestly, I'm not a great club builder either and like to try stupid stuff (just read my post in this thread about the shafts I used for my SL experiment) but even I know enough not to do something that moronic.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Yeah it was a dumb idea on Cobra's part to do this. Why on earth they just didn't order a bunch of 7 iron shafts is beyond me if they knew they only came in taper tip at the time. Project X shafts play much stiffer when they start to get longer due to the longer butt section where more mass is accumulated. Conversely, if they are softstepping 8-PW and then butt-trimming to length, they would play super soft as the tip section is far more active than it should be given the head weight change plus they are cutting away a lot of the balance point of the shaft.

If I were you I'd be on the phone to Cobra asking for a free reshaft. That is TERRIBLE club work and should never have even been proposed. You've basically got an unusable, reverse frequency matched set of irons. Honestly, I'm not a great club builder either and like to try stupid stuff (just read my post in this thread about the shafts I used for my SL experiment) but even I know enough not to do something that moronic.

Hmm I wonder what it would feel like if you pulled the shafts and reverse exchanged them...leave the 7 iron and swap the 8 iron shaft to the 6 iron, 9 iron to the 5 iron, PW to the 4 iron.

It would at least have to be an improvement over what they did.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

The black forged tec one are starting to feel good!!! The stock stiff shaft is really nice for my setup. Feels light yet controllable and, omg, it is so nice to hit high irons! I was struggling with that in my variable set. Long irons are getting height and have made 190-210 a manageable distance now vs. a swing and hope!

One ball position, trust the swing, keep the head down = fall in love with the one length lifestyle.

What SL irons do you have?

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

All of them having the same swing weight is a no brainer... same weight and length shafts with same weight heads. If you want data on the variability you will need to check their frequencies... they will be all over the map, guaranteed.

The flex and balance point of your shafts is fubared because they tip trimmed them from a variable length taper set. Get that mess fixed, you are fighting with them for no reason.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Regarding the Single Plane/Kirk Junge swing...I find myself 'reverting' back to the DP swing with my irons. I always do SP with my driver and bash the daylights out of the ball. When I DO use the SP swing with my Edels...it's mind blowing how straight I hit the ball.

I will also flat out admit, since my course closed, I no longer have easy access to a driving range either (F U SCHLITTERBAHN)...so I am not getting to practice as much as I'd like to with my irons and wedges.