2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Ok, I’m taking the opposite approach of others to mixing SL and VL. After playing SL for a year, and now playing a set with the same specs except VL, what I see is that I want my 9 through wedges to be 8 iron length, 36.5. Then go up by half inch per club from there. How’s that for different?

Not that different. I did it. Works well for me. ��

I agree. If I were going to change anything, I'd do just that. I'd have my 7-wedges one length and have my 5-6 irons in .5" increments longer.

That being said...I am an idiot too as I consistently smash my 5 and 6 irons at the shorter length

Ok, I’m taking the opposite approach of others to mixing SL and VL. After playing SL for a year, and now playing a set with the same specs except VL, what I see is that I want my 9 through wedges to be 8 iron length, 36.5. Then go up by half inch per club from there. How’s that for different?

Not that different. I did it. Works well for me. ��

I agree. If I were going to change anything, I'd do just that. I'd have my 7-wedges one length and have my 5-6 irons in .5" increments longer.

That being said...I am an idiot too as I consistently smash my 5 and 6 irons at the shorter length

After playing around with it for several years, I decided that my wedges, P/U/54/58 would all be 36" D6. Then they go up 1/2" and half a swing point. 9 is 36.5/d5.5, 8 is 37/d5, etc. (I have my irons +0.5") By changing the swing weight, you get the MOI matching effect to a lesser degree, and the lighter feel makes it not seem as long, while still providing good gapping.

Eventually when I update the wedges, I'll probably do all "real" wedges, 46/50/54/58 in identical length and weights. I personally believe that if you don't want to take a full plunge into SL but want some of the benefits, 36" (or 35.5) and identical will go a long, long way. Doing a Pelz grid with those clubs would basically be an exercise in pulling the right loft. It's the *same* club... all you have to do is decide how long you want the ball to go.

Sure, have your 4-9iron, but if you have a 4-wedge set that is identical, you put the same quarter swing, and you get 4 distances. Maybe as an 80s golfer, I miss too many greens, but what I have become much better at is 15-60m out. If I miss a green, it's very unlikely I'm going to double-bogey anymore. That's how I got my consistent high 90s into consistent 80s. It's not sexy. But basically, anyone can bash a club 150m. It takes a lot of work to hit and hold greens, particularly in semi/arid areas. Having confidence that you'll correct any mistake means that you never have to worry about bigger numbers provided you're close.

Single Length can be that simple. Simple Length?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Just ordered a 60* cobra one length LW. Every club in my bag from the 18* cobra black One utility to LW is now one length.

Putter!!

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

I got a very corporate answer / non-answer from Cobra on the finish issue.

If I am reading this right, they seem to be saying that regardless of how bad the finish is you should like it because it shows off their technology and its the same finish as similar clubs.

You know what would be nice sometimes? A company just saying "Yeah, we took a chance and it didn't really work out that well."

Can you discuss any changes that were made to the chroming process from the F7 single lengths to the F8s?

Several of us have noticed a clear issue in the quality of the F8s in terms of the damage the finish is showing - even though we gamed F7s for the entire season last year and had no such issues.

As much as I am fully commited to the single lengths, the quality this year would definitely make me leary about future upgrades.

dcmidnight, A bit of comparative here, (most GI irons which F8 compares with) are not chrome plated so we matched this finish. From an feature additive side we have Carbon Feel and PWRShell Technologies, to provide better feel and more performance. We used the sole blasting to show off the PWRShell, so this wears a little more when its not chromed. - TO

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Played a round with my back-up SL experiment yesterday. They are Maltby STi OS irons that I sort of made make-shift SL. They are all 7i length (I think the 5-7 are 38" and the 8-P are 37.5", so close enough). I made them extreme ascending weight, where I go XP95 in the 5i, PX 5.0 in the 6i, C-Taper Lite in 7i, PXi 6.0 in 8i, Ping AWT X in the 9i, and X100 in the PW. The flexes were chosen to be hard/softstepped due to not reaming the heads or tip-weighting. They seemed to work well. It was super windy and I shot 80, the same score I did previously on a not as windy day with my harder to hit forged CBs. For reference, on one hole I had 190 downwind so I hit 6i, next hole I hit 6i into the wind and barely made it flag high from 145...so yeah the wind be strong. Irons felt good, strikes were pretty pure. I don't think I'm going to stick with the SL as I found the longer irons lacked spin (a common issue I've read). I can usually get longer irons to hold okay, but I found my 5 and 6 shots were running out a fair bit.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

If I am reading this right, they seem to be saying that regardless of how bad the finish is you should like it because it shows off their technology and its the same finish as similar clubs.

You know what would be nice sometimes? A company just saying "Yeah, we took a chance and it didn't really work out that well."

Can you discuss any changes that were made to the chroming process from the F7 single lengths to the F8s?

Several of us have noticed a clear issue in the quality of the F8s in terms of the damage the finish is showing - even though we gamed F7s for the entire season last year and had no such issues.

As much as I am fully commited to the single lengths, the quality this year would definitely make me leary about future upgrades.

dcmidnight, A bit of comparative here, (most GI irons which F8 compares with) are not chrome plated so we matched this finish. From an feature additive side we have Carbon Feel and PWRShell Technologies, to provide better feel and more performance. We used the sole blasting to show off the PWRShell, so this wears a little more when its not chromed. - TO

That's a bummer of a response. TO is probably Tom Olsavsky, right?

Don't get me started on corporate ethics, lol.

That's a bummer of a response. TO is probably Tom Olsavsky, right?

Don't get me started on corporate ethics, lol.

I posted about my quest to build a 40" long driver on the GEA. I am re-thinking and maybe going to build one at 42.75" like My Swing Evolution did and go from there.

I was suggested to use a Cobra King LTD as it has the space port where I can get the head weight up a bit.

I still want to do a 40" driver just, well, why the heck not...but we'll see.

I will post results in both forums once I get this done and get to hit it.

Forged tec black one lengths have arrived!

Utility 2/3 iron

Utility 2/3 iron

Utility 2/3 iron - a little beefy but same as a 5 wood I guess?

2/3 utility, 4 through gap, 56, 60

+half inch

Standard lie and grips

No customization other than s300 in the 56 and 60....which results in a non-black wedge shaft

Also- definitely not one length: f8 driver nardo and f8 3 wood nardo

Killer quality and packaging from Cobra.

Can’t wait to shoot my same 89-109 with these clubs, lol! Hoping to get more iron shots that are in the air, regardless of result vs. the soul crushing / whydoidothis shanks I get from time to time with the current set.

Will keep ya posted!

Thanks for the update. Sounds like "don't look at the potholes, just look at these shiny sparkly, new toys we got for you :)"

Definite dodge, but seriously though, I would not expect the customer service guy to know if they changed the chroming process between the F7 to F8. Someone higher up in HQ responsible for the China build may - perhaps that our concerns/questions may trickle up the chain.

Also, Cobra customer service ain't that great. I was an early adopter of the F8 OL and the Forged Pwrshell was one of the technology reason I purchased the F8. However, my expectations was that the Pwrshell would be thru the set. I noted the F7 had Pwrshell through the set and I had some email exchanges with Cobra CS guy - "hey you guys better update your web page to note Pwrshell is only 4 - 7" but I got nothing except "if you expect pwrshell you need to look at the Max OL". Really, you had this in the F7s thru the set including the short irons but not in the F8s, you took that away.

WTH, Cobra Customer Service.

My F8 irons are doing fine aside from the 8 iron face. I only got about 8 rounds in along with more range time(mats) and the sole is holding up well. I am hesitant to take it to the sandy range here. That range destroyed my PinHawk face with a lot of sandy ball marks on the face.

But, having said that, with their latest DBM Forged Tecs release - I am really hesitant to upgrade but I'll wait and see how the other FT owners are doing with face & sole wear before considering.

Thanks for the update DCM!

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Here is the bag!

Note: this is probably overkill but, for those of you playing single lengths:

- do you have a special golf bag? Because the shorter irons are now longer, wondering if standard bag = more chatter? Once I use them 2x I’ll stop worrying about that, lol

all I can think about after your post:

30741352_10157355928641632_3248772370034327552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=214e42679c12137e1435d7718ffe6706&oe=5B8A4887

Is anyone having issues with the hybrids? I have a 3 hybrid and my skytrak has it's distances really low. I wonder if that's partially because it's on the low side for the rollout? My flight is not what i would like it to be honestly. I seem to be hitting my old adams blue 4 hybrid farther than my OL 3 hybrid. My swing speed is on the lower side, in the 80s I believe.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like "don't look at the potholes, just look at these shiny sparkly, new toys we got for you :)"

Definite dodge, but seriously though, I would not expect the customer service guy to know if they changed the chroming process between the F7 to F8. Someone higher up in HQ responsible for the China build may - perhaps that our concerns/questions may trickle up the chain.

Also, Cobra customer service ain't that great. I was an early adopter of the F8 OL and the Forged Pwrshell was one of the technology reason I purchased the F8. However, my expectations was that the Pwrshell would be thru the set. I noted the F7 had Pwrshell through the set and I had some email exchanges with Cobra CS guy - "hey you guys better update your web page to note Pwrshell is only 4 - 7" but I got nothing except "if you expect pwrshell you need to look at the Max OL". Really, you had this in the F7s thru the set including the short irons but not in the F8s, you took that away.

WTH, Cobra Customer Service.

My F8 irons are doing fine aside from the 8 iron face. I only got about 8 rounds in along with more range time(mats) and the sole is holding up well. I am hesitant to take it to the sandy range here. That range destroyed my PinHawk face with a lot of sandy ball marks on the face.

But, having said that, with their latest DBM Forged Tecs release - I am really hesitant to upgrade but I'll wait and see how the other FT owners are doing with face & sole wear before considering.

Thanks for the update DCM!

I think TO is Tom Olsavsky, VP of R&D at Cobra, so no lowly CS rep. haha

I think TO is Tom Olsavsky, VP of R&D at Cobra, so no lowly CS rep. haha

Right, at least in the Q&A they had some heavy hitters that could have answered the question.

Not sure what I expected but it is what it is. As a guy with a real purchasing problem though, I'd hesitate to buy another Cobra set in the future right when they come out.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Is anyone having issues with the hybrids? I have a 3 hybrid and my skytrak has it's distances really low. I wonder if that's partially because it's on the low side for the rollout? My flight is not what i would like it to be honestly. I seem to be hitting my old adams blue 4 hybrid farther than my OL 3 hybrid. My swing speed is on the lower side, in the 80s I believe.

I have not messed with the OL hybrids. I have some old school Kasco K2K hybrids in 16, 19 and 22* that are basically a 2 iron, 3, iron and 4 iron for me.

I have never found another hybrid that hits the ball as consistently the 'correct distance' with as much ease of use as these clubs.

So far this season I've been playing VL, with my SL clubs in the basement. One thing I realized today is how much unconscious doubt I'm having over ball position as I hit different length irons on the range. I didn't even notice it until after I got home from the range. I'm sure it's happening on the course too. Rather, I'm like, why did that shot go left? I must have done XYZ. Well maybe, or maybe I didn't have the ball in the right place. With SL it was never hard to position the ball.

If you are meticulous about setup on every shot, it's probably not an issue to learn and employ the variable ball position for the VL stock shots. I know for me, simple is better.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I have a full set of the f8 one length irons and the 3 and 4 hybrid that I’m going to sell cheep. I used them for 2 rounds I couldn’t get used to the high lofted clubs. The 4 and 5 irons were great on distance and the hybrids were absolute killers. I just couldn’t deal with the look and one length setup. I just bought the new PXGs which I’m loving (for now)

Cobra one 2/3 utility was harder to hit than I expected. Lots of topping (was hitting 4 balls per hole to learn the set) but user error in that I was trying to kill it. Better results, duh, with a smoother swing....and, surprisingly/frustratingly, off of the ground vs on a low tee. I think the tee leads me to want to hit it on the way up.

Kind of wondering if graphite stiff would have been better than the steel stiff I went with but need more time with it. Was also somewhat useful for fringe chips ala Tiger and his old 3 wood move from off the green.

Overall the forged tec blacks felt nice and light in hand and had solid ball flight. High and nice for 7 through wedges. High if hit right with a for 4-6. 4-6 hit poorly definitely yielded the lower ball flight this and other threads have mentioned. Distances seem about the same.

Very much liked the wedge and chip shots with the longer length. Felt like I hit the ball more solidly and higher. When trusting the weighting equation of the clubs, touch was consistent with variable length wedges.

For what it’s worth.

I love my f7 5-Gap OL. Added the 2/3 utility, and got to hit it on course 4 times yesterday. Set at 19.5 it was straight and long. Didn't measure distance, but it was bought to be my par 5 Layup/200-210ish club, and it didn't disappoint. For me it was easier to hit than the one length 19* hybrid I traded for it. I also thought hard about replacing the F7s, but honestly I think cobra got it right with this set. Seems like they keep changing things (finish, lie angles, PowerShell, etc) when the F7 are just magic. All the above is just my opinion. Results may vary!

Pack - what shaft did you go with for the 2/3?

Agreed. When you flush it, it is a laser beam!

All -

Because the forged tec and f8 ones have varying lie angles, does that technically mean there should be more than one red line on the cobra advertisement to indicate the number of swing planes throughout the set? Same length hit different lie = different hand position at start = different plane, right?

Ive played wishons single length set 5-lw for about 2 years now. Switched to his updated blade like wedges when they came out last year. I'm a fairly high ss player so never had any issues elevating the 5-6 irons. One thing that happens with a shorter length shaft though is you are automatically swinging on a steeper plane. For players with a steep downward attack angle it can be very difficult to elevate the 5-6 irons, which in turn causes you to start trying to create lift artificially in a swing change. It took me probably 1 month to get used to and now I feel i have a consistent launch angle for every club. The biggest surprise to me was the wedges. I'm a scratch golfer and always been a good driver and iron player, but my wedges new really felt great to me. Some days I was on but usually never felt very confident over the ball. I'm 6 ft 0' tall which may have been an issue but once I started playing the 36.5 inch wedges with the same swing weight as my irons my wedge game became LETHAL! I have for the first time in my life a nice wear pattern dead center on my sw and lw. My feel and touch shots are so much better. As a scratch golfer obviously you can't have the worst short game but honestly I felt like my game inside 100 yards was equivalent to an 8 handicapper. Now i feel like its down to scratch as well. I've scored some of my best rounds and i attribute it to my over length wedges. I think with the SL concept especially you need to go get fit for the proper shaft. I'm playing a much lighter shaft than I normally would because I went and tested the clubs and got fit. Never would have guessed I'd be playing a 90 gram shaft in my irons when I hit driver 121 mph ss and 95 mph with my 8 iron, but shows how important a fitting is.

Stick with them and you'll be ok.

So far this season I've been playing VL, with my SL clubs in the basement. One thing I realized today is how much unconscious doubt I'm having over ball position as I hit different length irons on the range. I didn't even notice it until after I got home from the range. I'm sure it's happening on the course too. Rather, I'm like, why did that shot go left? I must have done XYZ. Well maybe, or maybe I didn't have the ball in the right place. With SL it was never hard to position the ball.

If you are meticulous about setup on every shot, it's probably not an issue to learn and employ the variable ball position for the VL stock shots. I know for me, simple is better.

After playing 15 months with SL I´m now going back to VL. I agree with you that it feels like there are a lot more variables to think about with the VL clubs. My strike on the club face was better with the SL clubs. However I could not get consistent carry distances. With the VL I feel more confident that if I strike the ball I will know how far it willl go. That´s why I have switched back.

After playing 15 months with SL I´m now going back to VL. I agree with you that it feels like there are a lot more variables to think about with the VL clubs. My strike on the club face was better with the SL clubs. However I could not get consistent carry distances. With the VL I feel more confident that if I strike the ball I will know how far it willl go. That´s why I have switched back.

Sorry to see you go. I'll miss seeing you at the secret society meeting.

Variable lie angles in the forged tec black and f8 ones. Counter to the one set-up one swing mantra?

I could bend the forged tecs to be the same angle...or trust the technology as-is. For instance the 2/3 utility is less upright than the 4 iron...and the 4 iron was made more upright do to people swinging the long irons harder. Makes me think 2/3 should be more upright than it is. Vice versa for the 56 and 60 degree vs. gap wedge.

Torrey south today. Now need to learn how to hit these babies out of wet rough! Felt lighter and more impacted by the rough than my Srixons. Room for user improvement. Also starting I truly trust putting the ball in the center of stance. 2/3 utility is starting is to sing!

Bryson has been a birdie machine the last 2 rounds!