2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Single Length Society -

Bryson DeCh has, from what I can tell, a VERY narrow stance. Have any of you tried it with your OL set and, if so, how did it go compared to the traditional “slightly more than shoulder width” approach?

As a guy that is 6'4" and 310 pounds and has hands that look like miniature Christmas Hams with sausages for fingers...I literally do NOTHING like a normal golfer.

I set up with a fairly wide stance. I am right handed and so I pull my left foot back a bit to allow my hands/arms room to swing the club back and through, and I not in any way, shape, or form able to get to parallel in my backswing.

I do adhere to the Single Plane/Moe Norman swing though. I hold the club pretty much like a baseball bat, have 'his hands' at address, take it away low and slow and swing through the ball.

See my signature...the old LAWS of Golf videos on youtube really describe my swing as I am a 'width' player.

For practicality, I would advise buying purpose built SL irons. As Johnny Noke posted, the Integra i-Wins look good but don't get talked about.

I made my own set from regular irons because at the time both the Sterlings and Pinhawks were sold out and way backordered. I used lead tape on the 5 and 6 irons. On the short irons and wedges I drilled holes in the shelf above the sole, in the cavity on my irons. I've noticed most irons don't have a convenient place to drill such holes, but mine did. (Wishon 752's.)

Lie angles were no problem because you're only moving a degree or two to match the 7 iron. I used shafts tipped as 7 irons. The set works just fine, as good as any Pinhawks etc. But today, I'd just buy something.

Oh, I also made a set from Ping G2 irons. The black oval weight on the back of the club comes out by applying a dab of heat to the face, opposite the weight. Then pop it out with a small screwdriver. With those out, the heads are very light. For the longer irons, I used 6 gram Tungsten weights that Wishon sells. I could stack them side by side and get up to 4 of them in the cavity, then surround them with epoxy. The 5 iron still needed about another 7 grams though, so either lead tape or something in the shaft tip. The others were easy. I recall the PW was just the empty cavity. It was not a problem to bend them, other than the fact that you have to slam the living krap out of the bar to make them bend. lol. I was pretty proud of them but after playing them, I remembered how much I do not like a lot of bounce in my numbered irons!

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I play the Cobra forged one length irons. I won't be changing any time soon. But, for my Florida set, I have Gigagolf single length irons. For any one looking for a good, low priced set, check out Gigagolf. New, the sets are under $190. I bought mine used from GIgagolf for $85 shipped.

The irons are SGI. For me they are a great way to have a second single length set so I don't have to carry clubs back and forth to Florida. I prefer my Cobra irons, but the Gigagolf irons are good, especially for the price.

http://www.gigagolf.com/club_detailsHTML.jhtml?manufacturer=GigaGolf&groupnum=MI-GGTM20-SET

Can you simply turn any irons into one length set?

No.

Can you provide more details please.

1)The iron heads need to be heavier in the longer irons and lighter in the head for shorter irons because of the lack of/or addition of shaft weight in clubs with longer and shorter shafts.

2)Also a shorter shaft tends to hit a lower ball flight and not go as far, so the heads have to be weighted and lofted for that. Some people complain that the longer irons have too low a trajectory, and the shorter irons go too high.

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

In the last few weeks or so the toplines of my F8s have started to get marred as well.

Continue to love the clubs but really disappointed in how they've held up, I mean I've only have them for a few months at this point.

+1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore F3
PING G425 Max 3 wood w/ALTA CB 65 Slate

Taylormade Stealth 15* w/Hzrdus RDX 75

SRIXON 3 (22°) Utility Iron w/Recoil Dart F3   
PXG 0317T (5-W) w/Recoil Dart F4

PXG Sugar Daddy II 56* w/Recoil Dart F4

VOKEY SM9 50° & 60° w/Tensei AV
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 w/Accra Shaft (Black on Black)
PRO V1x

No.

1)The iron heads need to be heavier in the longer irons and lighter in the head for shorter irons because of the lack of/or addition of shaft weight in clubs with longer and shorter shafts.

2)Also a shorter shaft tends to hit a lower ball flight and not go as far, so the heads have to be weighted and lofted for that. Some people complain that the longer irons have too low a trajectory, and the shorter irons go too high.

Thank you

I play the F-Max single length from 7-scoring clubs. One thing to consider for slower swingers like yours truly? The longer shafts in the 8-9-PW-Gap allow slower swingers to launch their approach shots much higher than normal, and I have not noticed a loss of distance. Height on approach shots is a challenge for slower swingers, not for faster swingers. The SL concept really helps me.

roberthd
Menlo Park, Calif.

* Cobra F-Max Superlite 11.5-degree 
* Wilson Launch Pad 3-wood
* Wilson Launch Pad Fybrid

* Cobra F-Max 5-6-7 Hybrid 
* Cobra F-Max One Length 8-9-PW-GW
* Cleveland CBX 2 54, Smart Sole 58
* Some old Odyssey putter

While I haven’t given up on SL I’m thinking of going back to VL. Even though I hit the SL irons well there’s no doubt I prefer the shorter irons of a VL set especially wedges. The SL SW especially feels dead. I switched over to help with consistency due to limited practice but after some thinking my next venture may be to go with 6 iron as my longest iron and add a 5 hybrid to help with consistency/forgiveness because that’s where I was most inconsistent before. Still gaming the SL for now and may sub in my VL sw and see how that goes.

I'm 5 rounds in with an F-Max OL set, 5-P. Bought them on eBay for cheap thinking if I didn't like them I'd just resell them and get my money back. Well......

I took them out on the course for the first time. Only brought 5-P, played the forward tees. Hole 3: 5i off the tee, little 8 iron from 143, pitched 2 inches in front of the cup, and goes right in the hole. My first ever hole out eagle.

I played again today, and I'm starting to notice my front-to-back dispersion getting better already. Most of my front-to-back issues are now because I'm hitting the ball too far, whereas before, with my Apex Pros, it was short. I blame this on the F-Max having a swingweight of C7, and my Apex Pros are D6. Yes, I'm striking the ball better, but I'm flying my F-Max 8 iron past the 7 iron of my Apex's, strike isn't accounting for THAT much distance gain. I had my Apex Pro's lofts bent strong, too, so it's not loft/spin that's causing them to fly so far either, only answer can be more clubhead speed. I haven't hit them on a launch monitor that can capture head data yet, so I cannot confirm that.

The swing feeling I get from these irons is having carryover into my wedges as well, strike is improving and I'm gaining a bit of distance from that.

Not seeing the same carryover into my long game yet. Thinking about ordering an F-Max 4 iron and tinkering with the swingweight on my TEE CBProh driving iron, should help things in the top end of my bag transition into the OL irons which I'm hitting so well right now. I'm really enjoying hitting these clubs, they feel nice, they are without a doubt the most forgiving clubs I've ever played, and even though they're big and chunky, they are still a nice shape. Great clubs!

Anyone gone somewhere inbetween with a bit of a hybrid set up between traditional and single length? I like the idea behind single length but would want to do a modified set where I have the following...

LW, SW, GW: 35 length 64 lie. D4 SW

PW, 9, 8, 7, 6 iron: 36.5 length 63 lie. D3 SW

5, 4 hybrid: 38.5 length. 59.5 lie. D2 SW

5, 3 wood: 41.5 length 58 lie. D1.5 SW

Driver: 43.5 length 57 lie. D1 SW

While not strictly single length, I would only need to work on 5 swings instead of 13 with my limited practice time and would help with both accuracy / feel on the wedges and length on the long irons (hybrids in my case)

No.

Lie angles will be ridiculous, headweights will be jacked up, and they will not work the way you think they will work.

So, no, you cannot simply just make them all one length.

No.

Lie angles will be ridiculous, headweights will be jacked up, and they will not work the way you think they will work.

So, no, you cannot simply just make them all one length.

If you are cutting a 3 iron into a 7 iron length, you are also jacking up the stiffness. Variable length to one length conversion has too many CONS to make it worth while. I am not saying it can't be done but it will need a lot of tweaking, pulling heads, measuring, adding weight etc. You are better off getting the cheap PinHawks and buiding your own experimental set (and you learn a lot about club building as well, an added bonus)

Or you can look for a cheap set of other OLs, including F7s etc. I myself would not convert any VL into OL eventhough I can do what is necessary, just not worth the time and money imho.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Anyone gone somewhere inbetween with a bit of a hybrid set up between traditional and single length? I like the idea behind single length but would want to do a modified set where I have the following...

While not strictly single length, I would only need to work on 5 swings instead of 13 with my limited practice time and would help with both accuracy / feel on the wedges and length on the long irons (hybrids in my case)

My driver is 44.5, 7 wood is 42, and my hybrid 39 (I think)

My SL stock length is 36.7" however my 6 and 5 irons each climb up by .1" and have a slightly softer shaft for aiding in launch.

My wedges are all SL but come in a tad shorter at 36.4"

I suppose I could just go 36.5" across the board but these seem to work for me and the numbers are based on my TLT fitting done by Dan's Custom Golf in Canada.

I'm thinking about adding a SL hybrid into the mix around 37.5" and swapping out the 7 wood for a 4 wood or mini-driver.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

My driver is 44.5, 7 wood is 42, and my hybrid 39 (I think)

My SL stock length is 36.7" however my 6 and 5 irons each climb up by .1" and have a slightly softer shaft for aiding in launch.

My wedges are all SL but come in a tad shorter at 36.4"

I suppose I could just go 36.5" across the board but these seem to work for me and the numbers are based on my TLT fitting done by Dan's Custom Golf in Canada.

I'm thinking about adding a SL hybrid into the mix around 37.5" and swapping out the 7 wood for a 4 wood or mini-driver.

I’m sure a tenth of an inch makes a world of difference.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

There are quite a few offerings in the SL market and now here's one more (Orlimar). So far only one OEM (Cobra) is available, but is there a chance that we may see other OEM's joining the party. A rumor on another site has Ping seriously looking at the adaptation. I think if one more does happen to step forward and if by chance another tour player crosses over to the dark side, it could get really interesting for the future..............

There are quite a few offerings in the SL market and now here's one more (Orlimar). So far only one OEM (Cobra) is available, but is there a chance that we may see other OEM's joining the party. A rumor on another site has Ping seriously looking at the adaptation. I think if one more does happen to step forward and if by chance another tour player crosses over to the dark side, it could get really interesting for the future..............

Crap. If Ping throws their hat in the ring, I'll have to check them out. I've been resisting SL clubs up to now . . .

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I just sold my G400 irons - gonna stick with the F7 one length ... just easier to play (plus I’m hoping to see Ping single length irons sometime soon).

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h / 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag:

Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite, PW-SW KT Steel

I am selling my Ansers, I hit the F8s really well and now I am eyeing the Forged Tecs with the AMT shafts.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

Two things I have to ask, and maybe asked other places but I feel they're fairly specific.

1.) Is it a horrid idea to take an old set, take the shafts out and stick a 7 iron shaft in each head? Lead tape for swingweight, To keep that consistent. I don't quite understand the purpose of these sets specifically for one-length...

2.) Saw a few times that a 37.25" GW, SW and LW is awkward, like quite awkward, which I can imagine. (But perhaps curious to test...) So, has anyone stopped the one length and kept those wedges at normal variable length, is it odd to go 37.25" PW and then into a 35.5" GW? Is the yardage gap horrific?

I wanted to ask this because as I sit here and think more and more this whole one-length idea is beginning to make sense. Pure consistency in having all the irons one length, I know that's the idea, maybe wedges in the one-length is a slight step too far...

Thanks for help!

Hopefully I’m not too late amigo.

Before buying my first SL set a year ago I made a set by grinding, bending etc Some forged Cleveland TA1 irons I had to 270 gram head weight and 38 inches length with I think 63.5 lie. I think I even have a journal thread somewhere around here. Even did it before Deschambeau took off. The SL idea has intrigued me since I was young.

Things I learned:

A) not all clubs can be bent that much. I broke two but it didn’t wreck my experiment or intrigue on the idea.

B) grinding 30 grams off a 300 gram wedge is time consuming and ugly. I massacred a few clubs to do this

Overall it was fun but I would say if I could go back I could have flipped the club heads I had for 100 before I wrecked them all, saved 100+ on all the shafts I bought, saved five hours of work and bought a cheap set of Pinhawks to try SL clubs first...WAY easier to buy a cheap SL 4 iron and PW and try it out first.

I do love my Cobras though I will never switch back.

I am selling my Ansers, I hit the F8s really well and now I am eyeing the Forged Tecs with the AMT shafts.

Love the look of the black shaft! Always thought the AMT was a curious custom option for an SL set. But, they look sweet!

I think the AMT makes sense as I progress in my own OL swing and adapting to its nuances.

I have to agree that the longer irons can benefit from more speed with a lighter shaft and the shorter clubs can benefit from a heavier shaft. With my F8s I went with the KBS Tour V stiff (a 110gm shaft) and I hit my F8 longer and sweeter than my Ansers with the KBS Tour V extra stiff (a 120 gm). So I am persuaded by the AMT in the FT.

I am in no hurry with the FT so I will do some LM testing as well. The KBS Tour V stiff really works well for me. Accurate too.

I still want the Forged Tec owners to post up pics of their iron faces and sole so we can all see how the Cobra DBM finish is holding up - thats my concern with ANY black finish heads.