2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. After another weekend of ok ball striking, I think I’m officially back to variable length. I like the feel of a long iron strike better (more firm) than that of the SL (more squishy...talk about subjective, hey!>) even though the SL 4 & 5 iron are pretty deadly. It has been nice not going into the 100s for a 12 round stretch!

Probably going to unload my forged tec black 56,60,2/3 Utility, 4-Gap locally. PM me if you have any interest in giving them a go. I like them better (height, feel, looks) than the F8 IMHO, but all cobra offerings are pretty solid.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. After another weekend of ok ball striking, I think I’m officially back to variable length. I like the feel of a long iron strike better (more firm) than that of the SL (more squishy...talk about subjective, hey!>) even though the SL 4 & 5 iron are pretty deadly. It has been nice not going into the 100s for a 12 round stretch!

Probably going to unload my forged tec black 56,60,2/3 Utility, 4-Gap locally. PM me if you have any interest in giving them a go. I like them better (height, feel, looks) than the F8 IMHO, but all cobra offerings are pretty solid.

I’ve got nothing but best wishes for your golf, but how long have you had the Cobras? I feel like higher handicap players could benefit more the longer a SL set stays in the bag.

Hope you play well, whatever you decide!

I've been gaming the F8 one lengths for about a dozen or so rounds now. It was rocky at first, but it turns out that was the huge JumboMax grips I had on them. I was also trying the single plane swing philosophy. Long story short, I changed way too much at once and I've only been back in the game for a couple of months. Ditched the big grips on Thursday and played Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Today I broke 80 for the first time in years when I was last playing regularly. Great set of irons and I really enjoy them. I really really love the long short irons and wedges. Being a little over 6' 3" it is refreshing. No matter what, I will never play short irons and wedges like that again.

Single length single plane is where its at.

Give single plane another try soon it was a game changer for me.

Perhaps. But as everyone knowledgeable about the subject has pointed out, the two (single-length and single-plane) are unrelated concepts. You can have one without the other. Neither makes using the other any easier or better.

Exactly. You can use a single or double plane swing with a 7 iron...so why not with a 5 iron the length of a 7 iron? I really don't understand the thinking. The whole idea of one length is to make your setup consistent through the bag it doesn't matter what swing style you use.

I'm not saying you can't I'm simply saying the single plane swing did probably more to help me than the single length did.

But both single plane and single length just feels very easy.

WITB: 

Aerojet LS 10.5 Ventus 7S

Aerojet 7 wood Ventus 7S

Mizuno Fli Hi 2 iron

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Quick update...I am beyond the honeymoon phase, and the Edel SLS01's are SOLID.

Here's my likes: Feel is fantastic, even with graphite shafts. Headsize...PERFECT..compact from heel to toe...love the lack of offset. I am taking shallower divots than before and getting GREAT contact and VERY consistent distances. Spin levels are good...not excessive...trajectory...even with the 5 iron...AWESOME. I feel like I have mastered hitting knockdowns with every club through the sit, which is kind of a big deal in Corpus Christi as wind is a constant. Ben Hogan said that a straight shot was an accident...well, I really do feel like I hit a lot of 'accidents' with these irons. The only thing I generally account for is any sort of wind factor, otherwise, I take dead aim. I cannot put into words how much I love my 8-GW. The extra length is a serious boon to my enjoyment of the game.

Here's my dislikes: NONE. You got it...NONE.

I wish I'd had this technology 25 years ago when I started playing this game. I have flirted with breaking 80 a bunch of times, and I can tell you this...it is NOT my iron play holding me back. I generally do something dumb with a driver around hole 14-16 and have a blow up hole, and I need to work on my chipping/putting, which is hard because my course and place to do that closed.

Yes the Edel irons were expensive, but if you're buying the new Cobra Forged One Length with graphite...you're right in the ball park cost wise...and the fitting experience is completely worth it. If you're an iron whore...probably not the best investment...but I had my last irons for 11 years...and will probably have these for as long, if not longer.

Here's my likes: Feel is fantastic, even with graphite shafts. Headsize...PERFECT..compact from heel to toe...love the lack of offset. I am taking shallower divots than before and getting GREAT contact and VERY consistent distances. Spin levels are good...not excessive...trajectory...even with the 5 iron...AWESOME. I feel like I have mastered hitting knockdowns with every club through the sit, which is kind of a big deal in Corpus Christi as wind is a constant. Ben Hogan said that a straight shot was an accident...well, I really do feel like I hit a lot of 'accidents' with these irons. The only thing I generally account for is any sort of wind factor, otherwise, I take dead aim. I cannot put into words how much I love my 8-GW. The extra length is a serious boon to my enjoyment of the game.

I wish I'd had this technology 25 years ago when I started playing this game. I have flirted with breaking 80 a bunch of times, and I can tell you this...it is NOT my iron play holding me back. I generally do something dumb with a driver around hole 14-16 and have a blow up hole, and I need to work on my chipping/putting, which is hard because my course and place to do that closed.

Yes the Edel irons were expensive, but if you're buying the new Cobra Forged One Length with graphite...you're right in the ball park cost wise...and the fitting experience is completely worth it. If you're an iron whore...probably not the best investment...but I had my last irons for 11 years...and will probably have these for as long, if not longer.

Interested to hear what the long term wear is on these. Global Golf had a set listed but they had no pics and could not get any.

Definitely interested in these.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Glad to hear all this, thanks for sharing. I just got fitted for and ordered my Edel SLS01's. Felt the same way during the fitting as you describe above. It was love at first swing, even before we got the weights/shafts/lie angle dialed in. Should hopefully have mine in a week or so. Can't wait.

I saw a video where the 3 iron trajectory is just about high as normal. But nothing with the shorter irons. What kind of height are you getting compared to a normal set? When you say extra length do you mean distance or the shaft?

I gotta share before I go to bed. I just shot my career low round. Shot a 70 with 7 birdies. I was 4 under on 18 tee box and I doubled. Yes, the pressure got to me. I can definitely say it was my iron play. I had 1 birdie on a par 5 that I hit in 2 and another birdie outside of 10 feet. The other 5 was all approach shots, with irons inside 8 feet.

Interested to hear what the long term wear is on these. Global Golf had a set listed but they had no pics and could not get any.

I will take some pics for you and post them later...I am a range rat and try to play twice a week.

I gotta say boys that I have the itch to give VL a shot again. I've got some feel for the game again and my scores have come down since my return. However with SL I've been lacking touch on wedge shots inside of 100 yds. Also I really like to tinker and PXG is calling my name at the moment. haha

Do it man. Golf is about having fun and enjoying what you're doing...if PXG irons trip your trigger go for it.

I want to get a set of the Launcher HB just for Shnitz and Giggles....I'm just worried I will love those ugly things!

I honestly think Cobra got it right with the F7 OL. I like that the F7 are all the same lie angles vs the F8s. 6-lw are just money for me. Definitely have dropped strokes from switching from my VL CF16 which are amazing irons. I have struggled with the one length hybrids and now my 18-21* OL utility. I may go back to a VL hybrid. Shot an easy 39 today which is great for me. Every approach shot was either on in regulation or puttable from off the green. Even the shots that did not feel solid.

I gotta say boys that I have the itch to give VL a shot again. I've got some feel for the game again and my scores have come down since my return. However with SL I've been lacking touch on wedge shots inside of 100 yds. Also I really like to tinker and PXG is calling my name at the moment. haha

Yeah, do it!

Been so loving my P790s and the major difference I noted between the P790s and my now-sold F8 irons is my longer iron game is back IN FORCE and also more accurate. The mid and short irons are the same with the slight advantage that the shorter length P790s may be a touch longer than the equivalent longer F8 irons.

I do not miss my F8 irons at all, experiment is over. Good luck everyone :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Here's a shot of my bag as soon as I got home from 18 today. Posted an 82, and that was with a 44 on the front and the first 4 holes were a train wreck with no warmup. Wind was blowing 20-25 mph in Corpus Christi today...so there's that.

Highlights were on 17 and 18. 17 I hit a 300 yard down wind bomb on a par 5, had 210 left to the pin and I hit my K2K 55 (4 iron) to about 15 feet, two putts for birdie. Last hole is 398, crossing wind, hit drive to about 125 and knocked down an 8 iron to 10 feet, lipped out for bird, tapped in for par.

I think my clubs are wearing very well...they are dirty as all get out here as I have not cleaned them yet, but they still look good.

A word of caution on buying used Edel SLS01 irons...they are, IMO, very player specific...and without being fitted, they really are just an average set of irons. The way the ball flight, spin rates, launch, and even shot shape can be adjusted through the fitting is pretty cool and the way they feel and sound at impact is also effected. To put it this way...I went from playing old Rifle 6.0 shafts that weighed in at 130 or so grams, and thought I'd be all about the 110 gram stiff flex graphite...WRONG...I ended up with 95 gram stiff. I thought I'd want everything at 38"..WRONG....37.5". Thought I wanted 3* upright...WRONG...I ended up with 2*.

My ball flight is DEAD FREAKING STRAIGHT. It's almost comical how many 'accidents' I have hitting these clubs.

Here are some shots of my bag for you to see the wear. Had them since Valentines day...probably have 25 rounds and at least as many range sessions on them.

2sszrYR.jpg

ixgBbqc.jpg

kMXMHCV.jpg

I tried out the Cobra King Forged One Lengths today. I didn't have a problem with the short irons. I actually hit them lower and liked the ball flight. but the long irons I hit worse than any VL long irons. You can't swing the same with the long irons as you do the short. The weight is just too heavy to get a proper swing speed to get the ball in the air. Even when I hit it good they were landing 10-15 yards shorter than my VL irons. I don't know if it's like that with all of the sets, but they really need to figure out how to get the ball launched properly with the long irons. I've had an easier time hitting a 1 iron than I did the 4 iron today.

Anyone experienced the same with the Forged One that found a set that was better in the long irons?

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

I tried out the Cobra King Forged One Lengths today. I didn't have a problem with the short irons. I actually hit them lower and liked the ball flight. but the long irons I hit worse than any VL long irons. You can't swing the same with the long irons as you do the short. The weight is just too heavy to get a proper swing speed to get the ball in the air. Even when I hit it good they were landing 10-15 yards shorter than my VL irons. I don't know if it's like that with all of the sets, but they really need to figure out how to get the ball launched properly with the long irons. I've had an easier time hitting a 1 iron than I did the 4 iron today.

Anyone experienced the same with the Forged One that found a set that was better in the long irons?

Maybe try their one length driving iron, I found its bit easier to launch higher.

But they are bit heavier side...

I play the forged F7 irons LW through 7 iron. For the 6 and 5 iron, I play the F7 one length irons (non-forged). This leaves a big gap between the 7 and 6 iron if you look only at the lofts, but gap wise, it works perfectly for me.

I have the Forged TEC Blacks in one length and that is the best 5 iron I've ever hit. May be something to do with the shaft. I much preferred the $-tapers to the AMT Whites.

The more I use them the more I know I won't go back. It's been almost 2 seasons now and they just keep getting better.

My only issue is regular hybrids and fairways just started feeling too long so one by one they're getting replaced with Wishon clubs custom built to fit with my Sterling set. The results have been very favorable with a noticeable difference in scoring.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

After 11 rounds I have punched my plane ticket back to VL city. Just too risky given the shoulder injury Bryson just encountered :).

I’ve really enjoyed the Single Length concept and believe it has made my swing better and more consistent (along with my first PGA professional lesson). Now, my scoring data tells me to stick with it: 11 rounds, 4 in the 80s (83 = career best!), ZERO above 97. Those scores are better but, honestly, I think I could shoot those with VL. What started getting into my head & forced me back to VL was the long irons and the wedges.

Long Irons: I try to keep up with my 5 handicap friends from the back tees. When we are at Torrey Pines, I need my 4/5/6 to go high and stop fast. Never felt like the One Lengths got there, so I always felt like I was missing something on those types of approaches...especially to a raised and/or guarded green. Height & stopping aside, the low iron one lengths sure do go straight and a little low with some nice runout. I’ve LOVED using them off the tee on shorter par 4s and the rough / under tree punch outs that save a hole have been great with these. Punchline: I hit the SL long irons well, they just feel to be lacking just a tiny but compared to the VL alternative.

Wedges: Holy crap. When I started with SL, I LOVED chipping with them around the green. I still do! I’m 6’4” so having a longer wedge in hand felt really good and the results showed. Best consistent face contact I’ve had on green side chips. Pitching was another story as it was hard to know how far back to swing. I think practice could have made perfect here (as with ANYTHING...I just prefer new arrows), but I never felt comfortable on the 50-110 yard stuff unless it was a full swing. Also, had a tougher time out of the sand with these.

So yeah, I am a big fan of SL (it was great to feel validated when I was shooting well and Bryson won the tournament...less “WTF, one length!” from my friends!) and happy to have bought in to it for a bit. I even got the Golfing Machine book. I like the different / analytical take on it but also think it is a bit much to process. Over time I’ll hopefully be able to finish it. As of now, my only swing thoughts will be from lessons vs. the random Golf Digest/tip of the day.

My next choice is to play some sticks that are probably above my handicap pay grade. Ping iBlades, blue, +1/2, Project X LZ 6.0. They are beautiful and I plan to enjoy the superb feeling of a good shot with them while learning from and working through the duck fart shots. Half the battle is being pumped about what you are swinging...especially if you can only swing-em every other week or so.

Carry on one length nation. If you love it and it works for you, keep rocking it. It’s cool seeing all of the good scores you all have been posting! Keep enjoying the summer of golf.

What on earth would DeChambeau’s injury have to do with anything? Does hitting 7 irons for extended periods make you more injury prone? Lol I don’t get it. I gave SL an honest try and came back to VL but another person’s injury or my potential injury wasn’t even a remote factor as to why.

Think you missed his smiley face.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

What on earth would DeChambeau’s injury have to do with anything? Does hitting 7 irons for extended periods make you more injury prone? Lol I don’t get it. I gave SL an honest try and came back to VL but another person’s injury or my potential injury wasn’t even a remote factor as to why.

Think you missed his smiley face.

My bad. There was a lot there

You can't swing the same with the long irons as you do the short. The weight is just too heavy to get a proper swing speed to get the ball in the air.

Yes, you can. They're designed to do just that, in fact.

The weight is the same throughout an SL set.

The weight is the same through a VL set, too. It's just that more is in the shaft than in the head (to compensate for the longer, heavier shafts in long irons). This means they have to tweak the club so the swingweight is the same throughout the set. All of this is eliminated with SL sets. Each club has the same gross weight, swing weight, MOI, lie, shaft, grip, etc. Everything's the same. I can't speak for other manufacturers, but Sterlings compensate by increasing the COR in the lower numbers and lowering the lofts. The high numbers get the opposite treatment. All of this is calibrated around either a 7- or 8-iron length.

You swing each club the exact same way, on the exact same plane(s). You have the ball in the exact same position in your stance. Every time. My experience has been that the low numbers fly a bit lower and the high numbers fly a bit higher than my old VL set. But the distances--and the gaps--are just fine. A club longer than my Ping G series irons, in fact. Yesterday, in the Arizona heat, I hit a sand wedge on a 120-yard par-3 hole to within 10 feet. (Missed the putt!)

I will never go back.