Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

is there a difference in the heads in a one length iron?? I have an extra set of shafts and was thinking about ordering a set of heads to mess around with. probably just something from Hireko

Sure, there are different soles, lofts, offsets, face construction etc available in SL flavors. Tell us what you like in an iron and we can give you some guidance.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

is there a difference in the heads in a one length iron?? I have an extra set of shafts and was thinking about ordering a set of heads to mess around with. probably just something from Hireko

A little confused by your question. I think the answer is "yes" in as much as the iron heads made for one length heads are weighted very differently from variable length sets to have them end up at the same swing weight throughout the set. In VL iron heads the 3 iron must be much lighter than the 9 iron in order to arrive at the same swing weight since the 9 iron shaft is much shorter.

I tried to make a diy set of single length about 20 years ago as an experiment it worked fine for the 6,7,8 iron as I could get away with setting them up with tip weights and such... But I had to bore and grind the crap out of the 9 and PW and I could not get the 4 iron heavy enough without totally borking the horizontal COM.

More or less the fact that manufacturer s are specifically designing these heads for SL has made me the whole thing viable.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

My SLS-01 irons are expected to arrive today! 37" length, 66* upright (!), with 115g shafts (LIP20: 4-6, MIP20: 7-9, SIP20: P-G).

Intent is to go back to the single axis swing I used 15 years ago with VL clubs. Going to regrip with some oversize Crossline Ace 3Gens, and lengthen up to an inch.

Curious... Has anyone been fitted for the Edels by Club Champion or PGATSS? How was the fitting and more important, the results? My only reservation is the oversize grips are the key to making the clubs work with the swing, and I doubt fitters (even Edel) consider the grip size and weight in fitting...

I'm sure most customers buying SL clubs are using a conventional swing. The swing method and decision between SL/VL are completely independent IMO.

That said, I believe strongly that if you are using a palm grip, you need larger grips. For me, instead of a standard size, I need midsize plus some wraps under the lower hand. I have also played jumbos. But with them, my lead hand is less secure than with midsize. OTOH (literally), for the trail hand, it seems there is no such thing as too big of a grip.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I'm sure most customers buying SL clubs are using a conventional swing. The swing method and decision between SL/VL are completely independent IMO.

That said, I believe strongly that if you are using a palm grip, you need larger grips. For me, instead of a standard size, I need midsize plus some wraps under the lower hand. I have also played jumbos. But with them, my lead hand is less secure than with midsize. OTOH (literally), for the trail hand, it seems there is no such thing as too big of a grip.

Laughed out loud at the pun. Sometimes, it's the little things. And, of course, you're right about the swing being independent of the clubs.

IMO, the biggest problem with fitting is the lack of variability in grip size.

The one connection between the body and the tool, and "one size fits all" is considered acceptable for what is otherwise supposed to be a "custom" fitting.

I was going to buy some Jumbomax, for the new set, then decided to just use the jumbo Crosslines I already have and add four wraps of tape for the lower hand.

Did you see those funky Enlow grips with the reverse taper? You might like those!

No, but I just looked them up. Thanks!

There used to be a grip called Ball Buster, which was similar. They, and also the no-taper grips on the market, lack a wide spot at the butt end to help the hand feel secure. I don't like that.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

So I just got my new F8s today, but I didn't exactly get what I ordered. I ordered steel shafts, I got a set with all graphite. Is there any downside to this? I've never used graphite irons in my life.

if it's not what you've ordered or you've got fitted for, then send it back. i know it'll take another couple of days, but i the end you need to be satisfied

Considering Edel built BAD's single length irons with big grips, I'd assume most of their fitters understand grip weight and how it affects club performance.

My SLS-01 irons are expected to arrive today! 37" length, 66* upright (!), with 115g shafts (LIP20: 4-6, MIP20: 7-9, SIP20: P-G).

Intent is to go back to the single axis swing I used 15 years ago with VL clubs. Going to regrip with some oversize Crossline Ace 3Gens, and lengthen up to an inch.

Curious... Has anyone been fitted for the Edels by Club Champion or PGATSS? How was the fitting and more important, the results? My only reservation is the oversize grips are the key to making the clubs work with the swing, and I doubt fitters (even Edel) consider the grip size and weight in fitting...

Ping G400
Ping Anser 3W
Ping Anser 3H
Ping i210 4-PW DGTI X100
Ping Glide 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* Eye2
Ping Glide 2.0 60* E/S
Ping Vault Anser 2

They almost look like C-tapers haha. Double check they arent brushed steel!

Outside of that if you didnt get what you ordered I would contact customer service.

It depends on the shaft/swing weight etc. but they might not be a good fit for your game...

What exactly are c-tapers and how would I know if it's brushed steel? They are just a stock set, weren't custom fit for me so really it doesn't matter other than it wasn't what I was expecting. Just didn't know if there is any inherent pros/cons to graphite VS steel. I see that graphite is generally more expensive.

They almost look like C-tapers haha. Double check they arent brushed steel!

Outside of that if you didnt get what you ordered I would contact customer service.

It depends on the shaft/swing weight etc. but they might not be a good fit for your game...

What exactly are c-tapers and how would I know if it's brushed steel? They are just a stock set, weren't custom fit for me so really it doesn't matter other than it wasn't what I was expecting. Just didn't know if there is any inherent pros/cons to graphite VS steel. I see that graphite is generally more expensive.

You can check the shafts and make sure if it is steel with a magnet...As far as graphite usage - I think that is suggestive depending on needs- I play graphite (Steelfiber i95's) because of joint pain and they perform better than any steel shaft I have played-

Try them and see

My Sterlings are up on Ebay. I'm trying to decide if i should go with Cobra OL or try some VL again. Its been years since I hit a VL club. The smart play would probably go with the Cobra OL but they are so ugly and the new Titleist irons are so nice looking.

Why not the Forged One Length?

Don't be seduced by the Dark Side...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I definitely get a good chuckle when people "check out" of this thread...

"Hey guys, I've been hitting the SL better than I've hit any iron ever and have posted my best rounds ever. But I love the look of the new XXX so I'm going back to VL for now."

:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

"Hey guys, I've been hitting the SL better than I've hit any iron ever and have posted my best rounds ever. But I love the look of the new XXX so I'm going back to VL for now."

I see the same thing and just shake my head. I'm an adult and don't care what people think or say about my clubs. They poked a little fun at me when I switched to a tank putter. Then when I put ols in the bag. Then they poked at me when I cut my driver down. The only thing they say now is complaining about me taking their money! I have special rules when we play different games or I have to only have individual bets so I can give strokes. 2 others have now switched to ols.

??

+1

You forgot to add "If interested, I have them listed for cheap in the BST!"

I see the same thing and just shake my head. I'm an adult and don't care what people think or say about my clubs. They poked a little fun at me when I switched to a tank putter. Then when I put ols in the bag. Then they poked at me when I cut my driver down. The only thing they say now is complaining about me taking their money! I have special rules when we play different games or I have to only have individual bets so I can give strokes. 2 others have now switched to ols.

??

Haha same here 43" driver 40" 3 wood ,OL irons... Sidesaddle 48" directed force putter... And a matte red vice golf ball.

I leaned hard into my weird. The jokes stop when they are 3 down after 4.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I am seriously considering getting fit for a set of Edel SLS-01. Main reason is because I am tall and looking for longer wedges, and not shorter long irons; though will gladly take more consistency with those if that is the case. Anyone here in the 6'2"-6'6" range enjoy benefit of longer wedges?

My current problem is that I am way too bent over when hitting wedges, even though I play them +1" in the 36" - 36.5" range. I am looking at going 37.5" from 4i - LW.

I am hoping Edel can take their "hand ground" wedges and grind out another 20g - 30g to get swingweight down as they will be 2" - 2.5" longer. Has anyone tried this before? Will probably get 50*, 54*, and 58* hand ground.

I don't have trouble with full wedges currently, but am hoping that the longer length will really help on Pelz's 7:30, 9 o'clock, and 10:30 swings. Has anyone seen improvement in partial wedges and short game with longer length? Remember, I am asking taller golfers only.

On a final note: I am a scratch golfer and play in competitive amateur tournaments. I am really hoping to get to the next level hopefully due to longer wedges. Is this just wishful thinking?

My F8 OL arrived today.

4i-6i with Cobra Max graphite shaft with low kick/high trajectory.

7i-GW with Cobra TT flighted steel shafts.

The graphites measured at C9 swingweight vs D0/D1 for the steel clubs, so I added some lead tape to the graphite heads to bring them to D0.

Unfortunately, it's raining today in Houston. First chance to play them will be Kingwood next Sunday.

Considering the F8 3H hybrid and the SW/LW if things progress smoothly.

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

Tall guy...I will reply tomorrow...find my fitting review from February and it will answer all your questions...and YES...huge benefit to longer wedges.

Looking forward to your reply tomorrow. I have read your fitting review prior to posting and it gave a lot of good info. I have read your posts on loving longer wedges.

Was hoping to hear about your half wedge and short game shots vs. previous variable length wedges. How are bunker shots?. Do you still carry any veriable length wedges, if so why? Would you prefer a same length lob wedge as well?

Also, are there any ballooning issues with Paderson shafts? I tend to be a high ball, high spin player and hoping there is a shaft option that will suit me. Really would love to play graphite iron shafts to start preserving joints sooner than later. I swing driver about 105 - 112 mph (depending on physical condition) for whatever that is worth. Always played tip stiff shafts in all my clubs (modus 120x in irons and wedges currently). And I am a little worried, because I believe that the paderson shafts are higher torque. I only ever played low torque shafts, and never used graphite in irons.

??

Haha same here 43" driver 40" 3 wood ,OL irons... Sidesaddle 48" directed force putter... And a matte red vice golf ball.

I leaned hard into my weird. The jokes stop when they are 3 down after 4.

The directed force putter interest me. I was thinking about being fit and purchasing one, but I got a tank and it's been really hot this year. Is the df a game changer for you?

Tall guy...I will reply tomorrow...find my fitting review from February and it will answer all your questions...and YES...huge benefit to longer wedges.

Looking forward to your reply tomorrow. I have read your fitting review prior to posting and it gave a lot of good info. I have read your posts on loving longer wedges.

Was hoping to hear about your half wedge and short game shots vs. previous variable length wedges. How are bunker shots?. Do you still carry any veriable length wedges, if so why? Would you prefer a same length lob wedge as well?

I have the SL PW and GW (45 and 50*). I use them A LOT for chipping and pitches inside of 100 yards. That aspect of my game has improved TREMENDOUSLY. I currently carry two very old wedges...Callaway Vintage Forged 54* and 58*. I liked them then, I like them now, but they are a simply +1" longer as you're used to using now. I want to try the SLS01 55* as an '11 iron' but have not yet had a chance to demo that club or get fitted for the Edel Wedges.

If I have a pitch shot at that awkward 81 yard or 63 yard range or whatever, I have no qualms about hitting a 1/2 PW or 3/4 GW or using the 'Pelz clock' method to control distance. In fact, I prefer it.

When I spoke to my rep, they can pretty much do ANYTHING with the wedges..including removing weight and making them the same as your 'Single Length's irons.

I have not tried them out of bunkers yet. I will certainly do so when I get fitted for wedges.

I wish I had more to report, but most people seem to be sold on the idea of an easier to hit 4-6 irons...I was old on more comfortable to hit 8-GW....and it shows in my game.

I was striving to break 80 for almost a year, and have done so in my last 3 rounds posting scores of 77, 79 and 76. I putted well, but I also hit greens and made better chips to set up those putts.

I am sold.