Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Got my full second round in with the black forged tec ones. Shot 74 and played pretty well. My only prob is I'm struggling with the 5 and 6 irons. Everything else is money! Long, straight, and high. 5 and 6 isn't terrible but pull hooking both of them. May just be over swinging subconsciously. I moved the ball up in my stance and "pulled" more and it got better but still went left. Still a bit of "work in progress" I guess.

I started hitting my f7 5 iron better in the middle of my stance. More like a knockdown feeling shot. How do you like the feel of the black forged Tecs? What shaft? My next upgrade from f7 OL will probably be those.

Got my full second round in with the black forged tec ones. Shot 74 and played pretty well. My only prob is I'm struggling with the 5 and 6 irons. Everything else is money! Long, straight, and high. 5 and 6 isn't terrible but pull hooking both of them. May just be over swinging subconsciously. I moved the ball up in my stance and "pulled" more and it got better but still went left. Still a bit of "work in progress" I guess.

I started hitting my f7 5 iron better in the middle of my stance. More like a knockdown feeling shot. How do you like the feel of the black forged Tecs? What shaft? My next upgrade from f7 OL will probably be those.

I have the recoil 780 es f5 graphite shafts. To me the f7 ol felt hard off the face. These feel soft like a forged club should. The ball springs off the face on the blacks. Initially I was concerned about the lightness of the graphite shafts and the progressive lie angles but so far no prob.

I have the recoil 780 es f5 graphite shafts. To me the f7 ol felt hard off the face. These feel soft like a forged club should. The ball springs off the face on the blacks. Initially I was concerned about the lightness of the graphite shafts and the progressive lie angles but so far no prob.

Keep an eye on the finish. Couple of us complained about the poor chrome finish on our F8s, kinda sounds like Cobra went cheap with the chroming. So we are curious if the black finish in the forged tec will hold... jus sayin'

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

High capper and I've been playing Wishon Sterlings for about a year now, 5I-GW. Have mixed feelings on them. Playing at 36.5". Iron SS 80. Gaps are not ideal on the 5-6-7, when I am hitting well and on perfect hits there are 10 yard gaps for 160/170/180 carry, but on average with the less than perfect hits gaps are more like 5-10yrds. I've put a 38.25" M2 5I at 21.5* in which plays 190.

At the other end I've taken out the Sterling SW, there was no gap between it and my 58 vokey (built 1/2" long) on full shots and I didn't really care for it around the green.

One length, one setup does feel like I really can get in a good rhythm with the irons. But I don't seem to hit the M2 5I or my LW any worse than the single lengths.

I'm trying 37" in the 5&7 right now, feels a little better than 36.5" so I may lengthen the entire set.

Next set not sure if I will stay single length (looking at F8 or forged black one lengths) or go back to variable. Have a DBM 7iron with Recoil 660 on order to try. I think I may go the opposite direct than others with mixed sets, I think I need the extra length in the long irons, but the longer short irons feel more comfortable.

If the DBM feels good I may make this variable length walking bag with 1/2" progression in the long irons and 1/4" in the short irons, I usually walk with 8-10 clubs in a Ping Moonlight. Would add a Big Bertha Mini and Putter to complete this bag for walking.

5I M2 at 21.5 38.5" or 38" (stock lie 61.75)

DBM 6I 30->28 at 37.5", Lie 62? (bend will get 0.029" more offset and 2* less bounce)

DBM 7I 34* at 37", Lie 63; D2

DBM 8I 38->40 at 36.5; Lie 64?

DBM P 46 at 36.25; Lie 64.5?

52W at 36": Lie 65 D4?

58W at 35.75" Lie 64(need changed to 65 or 66)

If I do go with single length again, I would be looking at 37-37.5" and going variable length for GW down at +1/2-+1". I have a Wishon Sterling 5H and have had very poor luck with it, hit it less consistently than the 5I and shorter 5-10 yards. The Cobra Utility Iron may be a better option for me at the top end if I stick to one length.

Well the progressive lie angles might not be working the best for your swing. Maybe do some lie testing on the full set. I'm still skeptical of their lie angle concept.

You may be right, But my ball striking has been consistent. I wasn't sold on the idea of progressive lie angles at first either, so I called Discount Dans and they said to order them 2* flat. That just throws the whole set off to me. 5 iron will be close to standard and the pw/gw would be way too flat. I called cobra and they said if you like the way the f7's are set up, you can order the whole set 1 specific lie angle. In the end I ordered them just the way they come and figured I could bend them if need be.

Is anyone playing single length in their 7-6-5 and below but standard in their 8-9-P and up? I'd be interested in that setup.

That was my position, too. Until I actually played them.

I hypothesized that the trade-off was that the low-numbered irons would be easier to hit and the high-numbered clubs and wedges would be harder. So why not just take advantage of the SL low numbers and use VL for the high numbers? Because it defeats the other purpose for these clubs--grooving one swing.

I didn't think that was a big deal. After playing the Sterlings for 17 months now, I think it is the BIGGEST advantage. Don't pass it up.

At first, the whole set was baffling. The low-numbered irons looked silly and short--like something from a kid's set. The high-numbers and wedges? They looked like they'd power the ball way past the target. So I struggled at first. I tried to over-power the 4- and 5-irons while backing off the wedges (particularly the GW). But all of that went away quickly. Now all of the clubs feel really normal at set-up. In fact, my traditional 3-iron and my traditional SW and LW are the strange ones. (I've got the Sterling SW and LW, but their length makes them flat and causes toe drag when opening up the clubface. Still working on it.)

The other day, I was playing a local executive-length course with three strangers. I topped my drive on the dogleg-left first hole, leaving me 205 to the pin, over water. I'm sure these guys snickered when I pulled out the 4-iron and took dead aim at the flag. After all, this hacker must certainly be laying up, right? Especially with that short club. (It looks like an 8-iron.) I flushed it and it easily held the green. The gasps when the ball was in flight, coupled with the usual ("What did you hit there?") questions were inevitable.

In my experience, the 4-iron flies a little low, but stops well. The wedges, though, don't fly particularly high in order to limit flight. The clubhead design seems to do most of that work.

After almost 30 years of playing this game, the one area I continued to struggle with was consistent iron play. That, I can safely say, has been resolved. Now, if Sterling only made a magical putter....

Is anyone playing single length in their 7-6-5 and below but standard in their 8-9-P and up? I'd be interested in that setup.

That was my position, too. Until I actually played them.

I hypothesized that the trade-off was that the low-numbered irons would be easier to hit and the high-numbered clubs and wedges would be harder. So why not just take advantage of the SL low numbers and use VL for the high numbers? Because it defeats the other purpose for these clubs--grooving one swing.

My concern isn't over the "one swing" - its more with bringing down the gapping in my 8 > wedges. I end up making more than one swing with say my GW because suddenly a full swing is 20 yards farther than my old GW so I'm manufacturing a lot of shots as it is. Dont know if it will work but thats part of the fun!

Keep an eye on the finish. Couple of us complained about the poor chrome finish on our F8s, kinda sounds like Cobra went cheap with the chroming. So we are curious if the black finish in the forged tec will hold... jus sayin'

Its almost amusing how bad it is compared to how good the F7s were. And Cobra couldnt care less. Very frustrating. Will definitely make me think about going with any of their irons in the future. Its almost to the point where I want to find a new set of F7s and switch back.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I also played the f7 forged OL last year. Feeling great, love them.

I also tested the forged black OL, pretty soft feeling, which i prefer more in Irons. Only thing im not sure, the different loft angles of the f7 forged to the black forged. (lofts vary by 2 degrees).

So i think im going to buy the forged black with 1* weak loft and stiff recoil shaft. (scratch-golfer with 115mph swingspeed)

I also played the f7 forged OL last year. Feeling great, love them.

I also tested the forged black OL, pretty soft feeling, which i prefer more in Irons. Only thing im not sure, the different loft angles of the f7 forged to the black forged. (lofts vary by 2 degrees).

So i think im going to buy the forged black with 1* weak loft and stiff recoil shaft. (scratch-golfer with 115mph swingspeed)

You'll be fine. I shot a 75 today, and have a ss of about 100. I really haven't learned how to flight then down yet after only 3 rounds, but don't play a ton of different shots anyway. I didn't really over think the loft angles. When I received mine, I tried to think "what would I hit if I was hitting my other irons". I just hit the iron that I normally would. I hit these the same distance. The gapping was a concern but they are spot on. I've been very impressed so far. 2 guys I play with are about to order a set.

"Choose a 7-iron or a 6-iron, whichever you feel the most confidence in, and use it for 80 percent of all your full-swing practice. The reason for this is I want you to develop faith in your golf swing. The best way to learn to trust your swing is by practicing your swing with a club you trust." -- Harvey Penick, "Harvey Penick's Little Red Book."

Exactly. We all have a favorite iron on the range. Imagine if we had an entire iron set built around those specs? Every club the same length, lie, weight, MOI, etc. The club we love to practice with would be the club (and its sisters) we'd play every time we reached for an iron.

Harvey Penick was endorsing SL clubs long before he would even have a chance to imagine them. Imagine that!

"Choose a 7-iron or a 6-iron, whichever you feel the most confidence in, and use it for 80 percent of all your full-swing practice. The reason for this is I want you to develop faith in your golf swing. The best way to learn to trust your swing is by practicing your swing with a club you trust." -- Harvey Penick, "Harvey Penick's Little Red Book."

Exactly. We all have a favorite iron on the range. Imagine if we had an entire iron set built around those specs? Every club the same length, lie, weight, MOI, etc. The club we love to practice with would be the club (and its sisters) we'd play every time we reached for an iron.

Harvey Penick was endorsing SL clubs long before he would even have a chance to imagine them. Imagine that!

Thanks for that. I forgot all about that quote, but the philosophy has been the backbone of my approach to the game for a long time, and it was the reason I was attracted to single length clubs. They've certainly worked out for me.

I've never been able to hit a knock down with VL but yesterday I was in the wind (and trees) and on a few holes hit different shots low into the greens. I'm not there yet but I got a peek into the world of shot shaping and creativity that OL gives the confidence to explore.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

I've never been able to hit a knock down with VL but yesterday I was in the wind (and trees) and on a few holes hit different shots low into the greens. I'm not there yet but I got a peek into the world of shot shaping and creativity that OL gives the confidence to explore.

That was one of the more fun things I found with SL irons. Once I learned to knock down one of them, it works the same throughout the set.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I was initially doing the same thing with my Edel 5 iron. I found that I was playing the ball in my 'old' 5 iron position and coming through with the club slightly closed and hitting it left. When I played it as I would an 8 iron...very straight and dependable.

I played the pinhawks last year and managed to drop my average score by 3.4 strokes. I even posted up a 36 on the last nine I played with them. I picked up the F7 OL irons this year with the stock stiff graphite shafts because of some wrist issues I have been having, and I just about have them where I want them. I have only played nine with them so far, but I shot a 41. The stupid snow storm we just had put off any further golf for probably another month, but my range sessions have been going great.

As they say and they are so right, it's not the bow & arrow, its the indian...

Finally, finally, I sorted out my rightitis with my F8 OL, no more overswing and distances have improved. If any thing, when I stated that I started to swing more 90% on the longer iron, I discovered something.

On the way to the top of the back swing I was "short". It's because of PPGS but I needed just a little extension and allow my left shoulder to go under the chin - and that allows me just enough time time to release to the intermediary target line with a nice draw. Shawn Clement, meet Don Trahan... :)

I had such good ball striking today with my irons, as well my UDI 2 iron was just singing. God, that thing is so sweet. I think I may reshaft my FliHi with a regular C-Taper Lite to give me a better draw and hit.

Magic, magic day with the irons, carded 76 with 2 birdies :)

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

That was one of the more fun things I found with SL irons. Once I learned to knock down one of them, it works the same throughout the set.

I am not sure why you would want to play a knock down shot with the SL set....... Just go to your lowest lofted club in your set and hit it normally, depending how low of a loft your set goes. I have a 4 iron and a 2 iron, both will get me under most trees or work well into the wind. The 2 iron is particularly good for bump and run or 'rescue' functions.

Cobra one Utility iron... has anyone tried them, I am interested in an unbiased review.

Theres a 4 to 6 week back order on the cobra one utility according to dd :(

Ok, I’m taking the opposite approach of others to mixing SL and VL. After playing SL for a year, and now playing a set with the same specs except VL, what I see is that I want my 9 through wedges to be 8 iron length, 36.5. Then go up by half inch per club from there. How’s that for different?

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

So 2 more rounds, both a 76, and I still can't hit the 5 iron. The 6 isn't as bad, but the 5 is just unacceptable. I guess my next course of action will be to get the lie angle flattened and see if that helps. After that, I guess I'll have to try a one length hybrid. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

I just realized, we’ve finally reached the point where SL threads are not half full of posts saying what a dumb, unworkable idea it is.

:)

Those guys are busy searching the woods for their shots....

:good:

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Played this afternoon. Loving the Edel SLS01 irons.

I hit 13 of 18 greens...and 3 of the 5 I missed were on the front nine when I pretty much went straight from the car to the course, and I SUCK doing that for about 4 holes. My score was not that good because I did some stupid crap off the tee early on, and I had a $hitfit on the green when I 3 putted...TWICE from 15 feet...that being said...I had the opportunities to score.

I am having zero issues elevating my 5 iron...my gaps are good with my short irons, and they are simply magnificent.

Going SL may be the single best thing I've ever done for my golf game.

How many of you switched to single plane as well like myself?

Made the switch last year and then the jump to SL irons.

Two good moves for me.

Slight thread jack...I grew up in Harvey, LA and then moved to Covington in the early 80's when it was 'the country'.

All my relatives are in Chalmette...look out...Da Parish is in GWRX.

i like this idea alot.... Really wish i could get my hands on a SL set with modus 130X to try out.... Im a good iron player.. BUT i have this theory thats similar to your thoughts... Im tall and i play my wedges at 36.5 from pw-lw...vokey.. and im pretty darn deadly with them.. i have a wedge range at home and practice daily... if i could swing the exact same with 9-4 iron as the pw down i feel like id be unstoppable..lol My 3 hybrid is short ( 3 iron length ) and my 3 wood and driver an inch short of standard.... all uber tuned to me ..4-9 iron are basically bookend by alot of confidence and the exact same swing.. then you have several similar swings in between .. just a brain storm at this stage.. but in theory i tmakes tons of sense since ive played my wedges at that length for 2 years now .. I have the hardest part already down pat

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock