Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

I need Edel to make those in left handed!

Love my Sterlings. Recently took an i500 8 iron out (very similar to my SL specs) and hit it super good and further then I'm accustomed too. Just ordered a UW to play around with. Let's see what Ping does when they read my order. UW black dot 36.5" D2!

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I'm lusting after the Edels. Hax/OsnolaKinnard ought to be getting a commission from his rave reviews!

I'm in AZ for the winter, and am contemplating getting fitted out here for the Edels.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

On my old SL set, with no fancy hot faces, here are the lofts I used. They worked well with my mid 70s swing speed.

58 (traditional wedge)

I have to say that the 26* 5 iron flew too low for me. I'm not tolerant of clubs that don't fly high enough to hold a shallow or firm green. But gap wise, those lofts worked out great for me. One of my strengths is that I am very consistent on distances, so I am particular about gaps. Now if you get some hot faces in the mix, then I dunno.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

On my old SL set, with no fancy hot faces, here are the lofts I used. They worked well with my mid 70s swing speed.

58 (traditional wedge)

I have to say that the 26* 5 iron flew too low for me. I'm not tolerant of clubs that don't fly high enough to hold a shallow or firm green. But gap wise, those lofts worked out great for me. One of my strengths is that I am very consistent on distances, so I am particular about gaps. Now if you get some hot faces in the mix, then I dunno.

Yeah I think maybe the things I read had to do with 70-89 ish swing speeds,no way for me to confirm that.

If anyone wants to post their Single length four and five iron yard gaps, SS, lofts, I'll guarantee a like

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

My 2/3 is not hard at all to elevate.

It's not "elevating" that becomes the issue with low-lofted SL irons. It's the gapping.

Wishon Sterlings are designed around an 8-iron length (36.5"). As such, you need a swing speed of about 85 mph to get real gapping between the 4 and 5. (The 4 is the lowest lofted Sterling iron). But fast or slow, they fly low. Going to a 37" shaft might get you a bit more elevation and distance, but not dramatically so. In other models that make a 3-iron, you can then bring that into play. I don't like a 37" shaft because the more length you have, the less accurate you'll be--throughout the set. I'd rather have more accuracy than distance when it comes to irons.

I have decided to go single length 4-7 instead of 4-6. Hit the 7 iron way smoother after testing today.

This seems logical, but it isn't. The whole idea is to go single-length throughout the set and, thus, develop one swing for your irons. One.

There are two benefits and one (potential) detriment to single-length. The obvious one is the ability to hit low-lofted irons with a short shaft. It improves your accuracy by definition. The other is the ability to groove one swing throughout your irons set. The potential detriment is a longer shaft for the "short" irons. But it really isn't, it just seems that way. By grooving one swing, you get very used to the same length. I'm no less accurate with my GW than I was in my old set.

But here's the other thing: by using variable-length shafts in a third (or so) of your set, you destroy the main advantage of these clubs! That will have a deleterious effect throughout the set. You might as well go back to variable-length clubs at that point.

I can't stress this enough. When I first contemplated SL irons, I also thought it would be better to use VL shafts in the short irons. But after gaming them for 2 full years now, I can safely say that no, it doesn't work that way.

I have one swing plane for woods (only two of them), one for irons, and then I tote around a 64-degree LW. Simple. Efficient. It lets me play more "golf" and less "golf swing." (That's hard for me.)

I have decided to go single length 4-7 instead of 4-6. Hit the 7 iron way smoother after testing today.

Ordered 4 and 5 Cobra utility, should I tip weight and bend strong the 6 iron p730, or should I bend a 5 utility iron to 6 lof?

If you got the iron style utility you wouldn't need bend either I'd say beings they're adjustable. Should slot right in with the 730s and their lofts.

so its the 3/4 utility (4 iron), and the 4/5 utility (5 iron). they dont make a 5/6 utility. most loft i can get is 27 degrees,cause u cannot bend them. p730 6 iron is 31 i think

Maybe it will work that the 4/5 goes 6 iron distance, but i dunno

They're long, for 7 iron shaft, and easy to elevate. Love my 2-3. Like it much better than a hybrid. Good luck to you.

easy to elevate. . .thats promising! everything else i have heard said 4 iron might be a problem launch-wise.

No one thinks the utilities are hard to elevate.. they are talking about the 4 iron from the standard sets. I have no problem with one length 4 iron, but lower swing speeds I could see it. I. Certainly not a fast swinger, but I have always hit high iron shots

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

58 (traditional wedge)

Yeah I think maybe the things I read had to do with 70-89 ish swing speeds,no way for me to confirm that.

If anyone wants to post their Single length four and five iron yard gaps, SS, lofts, I'll guarantee a like

Here you go... Lofts are standard for Cobra forged one length you can look them up on their website. My driver swing speed is 105ish.

WITB:

Haxie, you lost me with Rob Scnneider.... :pimp:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

This seems logical, but it isn't. The whole idea is to go single-length throughout the set and, thus, develop one swing for your irons. One.

There are two benefits and one (potential) detriment to single-length. The obvious one is the ability to hit low-lofted irons with a short shaft. It improves your accuracy by definition. The other is the ability to groove one swing throughout your irons set. The potential detriment is a longer shaft for the "short" irons. But it really isn't, it just seems that way. By grooving one swing, you get very used to the same length. I'm no less accurate with my GW than I was in my old set.

But here's the other thing: by using variable-length shafts in a third (or so) of your set, you destroy the main advantage of these clubs! That will have a deleterious effect throughout the set. You might as well go back to variable-length clubs at that point.

I can't stress this enough. When I first contemplated SL irons, I also thought it would be better to use VL shafts in the short irons. But after gaming them for 2 full years now, I can safely say that no, it doesn't work that way.

I have one swing plane for woods (only two of them), one for irons, and then I tote around a 64-degree LW. Simple. Efficient. It lets me play more "golf" and less "golf swing." (That's hard for me.)

multiple users on here are use combo sets like what I'm suggesting, they popped up in a different thread.

are your woods one length?

People have been playing 13 different swing planes for years. I think I'll be OK cutting my 13 down to 7 or whatever. And avoiding the balloon shots I was getting with the one length 9 iron.

Not going to cost me anything to try this out , I will just expand to all one length if need be.

I appreciate your advice

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Here you go... Lofts are standard for Cobra forged one length you can look them up on their website. My driver swing speed is 105ish.

Very interesting... my driver swing speed is about the same, and my top end (4i) and bottom end (gw) are about the same at 200 & 110, but my long iron gaps are tighter (10yds 4i-7i) and my short iron gaps are larger (12-15yds 8i-pw). We're almost a full club different at 150yds. Most of the time I'm hitting 9i or backing off my 8i at 150.

Your data is likely way more accurate though, so my numbers would probably be very different if I was actually measuring actual shot results.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Very interesting... my driver swing speed is about the same, and my top end (4i) and bottom end (gw) are about the same at 200 & 110, but my long iron gaps are tighter (10yds 4i-7i) and my short iron gaps are larger (12-15yds 8i-pw). We're almost a full club different at 150yds. Most of the time I'm hitting 9i or backing off my 8i at 150.

Your data is likely way more accurate though, so my numbers would probably be very different if I was actually measuring actual shot results.

If your gap wedge goes 110 and you have 12-15 yard gaps from your 8i to PW...and your 9I goes 150 yards then your pitching wedge goes 135-138 and your gap down to your gap wedge is 25-28 yards! That is a massive gap to have in the scoring range.

You state you have larger gaps than me in the short irons but I actually have 13 yard average gaps from 8i to GW just like you state. I then average 12 yard gaps from 4i to 8i. So I have incredibly even distribution during the bag.

Some clubs are a bit lower than normal as I tend to hit more half and 3/4 shots with them (PW being a prime example of a club I rarely hit full)

Also my data is derived from actual on course play of about 20 rounds or so and so some clubs that I simply hit less have far less data than others.

Overall though it has been really helpful for me to learn my real on course numbers and to be able to make sure I have appropriate gapping throughout my bag... for example I would much rather have greater precision from 100-150 yards than from 200-250 where really all I care about is solid contact in the general direction of the flag.

I really recommend Arcos to people for this reason has been elucidatory for me. Cheers!

WITB:

I need Edel to make those in left handed!

Love my Sterlings. Recently took an i500 8 iron out (very similar to my SL specs) and hit it super good and further then I'm accustomed too. Just ordered a UW to play around with. Let's see what Ping does when they read my order. UW black dot 36.5" D2!

Let us know if PING will fill that request.

I knew of someone who tried to order a single length set from them and they politely said they could not do it due to the 2 shortest and 2 longest irons.

multiple users on here are use combo sets like what I'm suggesting, they popped up in a different thread.

are your woods one length?

People have been playing 13 different swing planes for years. I think I'll be OK cutting my 13 down to 7 or whatever. And avoiding the balloon shots I was getting with the one length 9 iron.

Not going to cost me anything to try this out , I will just expand to all one length if need be.

I appreciate your advice

I play 4-7i at one length, 8i 1/2" shorter than that, then 9i-LW 1/2" shorter than the 8i.

So that's 4-LW with 3 different lengths. Works for me.

I appreciate your advice

But that's the whole point: cutting down on all that variability. Yes, people have been doing it for a long time. But did you know that single-length irons were the norm a hundred years ago? They went by the wayside with the development of a usable, lightweight steel shaft that could be longer where needed.

If your high-lofted irons are "ballooning," you need to get something worked/checked out. That should not be happening, even in single-length irons.

Advice? Hardly. But if someone proceeds with faulty reasoning, I'm willing to counter it.

t.

I knew of someone who tried to order a single length set from them and they politely said they could not do it due to the 2 shortest and 2 longest irons.

I have no doubt. Not only would the static weights be off (because of the variable weight of the heads), the swingweights would be wrong, the MOIs would be off, and the clubs at the extreme (the ones Ping mentioned) would likely fail in terms of gapping. Oh, and you'd have to bend the lowest- and highest-lofted irons an awful lot to get the lie angles right--probably farther than Ping's recommended limits. (Although that could be overcome with different color dots already cast at those angles.)

No one wants Ping to get into this market than I do, but all I hear are crickets. Not surprising, too. In the two years since I put Sterlings in my bag, I've probably played 300 rounds (9 or 18 holes). I have not once come across anyone playing single-length irons. From any manufacturer, even Cobra. Now, that's just a one-case anecdote, but it's strange.

people aren't robots. it's not hard to adjust to shorter irons even if you practice mostly the 7 iron+. for a lot of people, shorter shafts + having optimal lofts/length will outweigh the benefits of being able to use one swing at the cost of the club being suboptimal.

plus it would be easier to build a set like this. you don't have to worry about your shorter clubs, just for the 3-6 irons cut down the distance version of your 7-pw. say if ping, i500 for long and i210 for short. order the 3-7 at the same lie angle and adjust the swingweight with lead tape. or go edel/cobra one lengths for long, and whatever for short.

here's a great vid of the edels, it's nice to see all the clubs being hit. in chinese but you can get the idea. nice gapping though he's swinging harder for the long irons. between the 5 and 6 he's swinging 1.8 mph harder, but the 5 iron does go 16 yards further so there's some cushion if the swing speeds were the same. interesting that the 5 vs 6 iron has completely different sounds.

But that's the whole point: cutting down on all that variability. Yes, people have been doing it for a long time. But did you know that single-length irons were the norm a hundred years ago? They went by the wayside with the development of a usable, lightweight steel shaft that could be longer where needed.

If your high-lofted irons are "ballooning," you need to get something worked/checked out. That should not be happening, even in single-length irons.

Advice? Hardly. But if someone proceeds with faulty reasoning, I'm willing to counter it.

What lol.

Faulty reasoning smh. Here is your reasoning

13-12=1 plane, reduced variability

13-9=no change, no reduction, broken system.

Lmao. That not a reduction in variability?

Also u didn't answer my question. U playing one length woods? Or using two different ones like the pro.

I am cutting down on variability. Your assertion I am not is a faulty one. Just cause it's not all they way down to one plane does not negate that.

One length short irons have more club head speed. It's well known that for guys with high swing speeds this can cause high spin flights. I don't need to get it checked out, my regular length ones work fine for what I need. Seems like for the 10 other people that have posted similar approaches, worked fine too. What's your swing speed? And have you never heard of the one length short irons flying higher?Weird.

Looks like one of those "good luck to u, think ur silly as $&@" back and forths a to me. We both got our reasons for feeling that way it seems.

Thanks again for ur input

What lol.

Also u didn't answer my question. U playing one length woods? Or using two different ones like the pro.

I am cutting down on variability. Your assertion I am not is a faulty one. Just cause it's not all they way down to one plane does not negate that.

One length short irons have more club head speed. It's well known that for guys with high swing speeds this can cause high spin flights. I don't need to get it checked out, my regular length ones work fine for what I need. Seems like for the 10 other people that have posted similar approaches, worked fine too. What's your swing speed? And have you never heard of the one length short irons flying higher?Weird.

Looks like one of those "good luck to u, think ur silly as $&@" back and forths a to me. We both got our reasons for feeling that way it seems.

"Lmao"

"lol"

"u didn't answer my question"

"Weird"

I don't need to answer rudeness. Good luck.

Have any of you tinkered with finding a hybrid or driving iron that can be bent a lot more upright and added weight to it?

I have, without bothering with adjusting the lie angle.

Found a .370” hosel hybrid with the same bottom of bore to ground measurement as my SL irons, added lead tape, shafted with same shaft as my irons.

I love it. Lie angle has never bothered me too much, and my shots are directionally consistent with my other clubs. More height and steeper descent than an iron, as one would expect from a hybrid.

I say go for it.

What lol.

"Faulty reasoning"

"Lmao"

"lol"

"u didn't answer my question"

"Weird"

I don't need to answer rudeness. Good luck.

Haha u said faulty reasoning.

I'm sorry for offending you. I didn't realize pointing out u didn't answer a relevant question, repeating words you used, and the word weird was too far.

Knock it off, both of you. First/only warning.

I'm in enough other threads with this sort of nonsense, this isnt going to be one of them.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I'm in enough other threads with this sort of nonsense, this isnt going to be one of them.

My bad

Have any of you tinkered with finding a hybrid or driving iron that can be bent a lot more upright and added weight to it?

Found a .370” hosel hybrid with the same bottom of bore to ground measurement as my SL irons, added lead tape, shafted with same shaft as my irons.

I love it. Lie angle has never bothered me too much, and my shots are directionally consistent with my other clubs. More height and steeper descent than an iron, as one would expect from a hybrid.

I say go for it.

+1. If your looking at sl clubs I dunno how much extra weight you will need, they are pretty club head heavy in the long irons/hybrid already. What's the goal for your build grant?

Update on my own stuff: got the 5 iron (27*) built up, hit it on skytrak last night. Really fun to hit... didn't feel like a long iron at all. 190 total average, which I am fine with. Not breaking 200 when I swung as hard as possible was annoying but I'll blame the indoor setup for now.

So simple to find the middle of the face, control the swing. Flight was not too low, surprisingly at the end of the flight it does the smallest little ballon effect, limiting the roll out. Dunno. On course testing needed, raining all week here though.

Infinitely more excited to play sl in the long irons now.

[email protected] was like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we have to just keep eating and act luke everything is fine.

Found a .370" hosel hybrid with the same bottom of bore to ground measurement as my SL irons, added lead tape, shafted with same shaft as my irons.

I say go for it.

+1. If your looking at sl clubs I dunno how much extra weight you will need, they are pretty club head heavy in the long irons/hybrid already. What's the goal for your build grant?

Update on my own stuff: got the 5 iron (27*) built up, hit it on skytrak last night. Really fun to hit... didn't feel like a long iron at all. 190 total average, which I am fine with. Not breaking 200 when I swung as hard as possible was annoying but I'll blame the indoor setup for now.

So simple to find the middle of the face, control the swing. Flight was not too low, surprisingly at the end of the flight it does the smallest little ballon effect, limiting the roll out. Dunno. On course testing needed, raining all week here though.

Infinitely more excited to play sl in the long irons now.

Goal would be to get a hybrid that is at least 62 lie because I play mine very very upright single plane like Bryson.

I need something that will launch higher and go farther. Playing variable length irons I can squeeze my 4 iron out to 220 carry. My Single Length 4 iron caps around 205.

With the single upright plane it makes it very hard to find/hit fairway woods and hybrids because they are so much flatter than every other club in my bag.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60