2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Just wondering how many of you guys are using jumbo or oversize grips with your one lengths, and is that different than what you were using with your previous set. If so, why did you change?

Yea jumbo max tour mediums for me. Have been using them approx 3 months now. So I made the switch not long ago, but only started looking into one length a month ago, so they were being used before OL.

I will never use another grip I believe. Perfect on both the VL and the OL, no difference (besides the OL long iron being way easy to swing compared to vl imo).. Everyone that has tried my clubs gave me a weird look when i offer, but then really like the feel.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Just wondering how many of you guys are using jumbo or oversize grips with your one lengths, and is that different than what you were using with your previous set. If so, why did you change?

I went with standard size grips for mine. They're still a test set, if I go full time on single length, I'll not change grip size.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I'm using GP CP2 wrap midsize, which is a pretty meaty reduced taper grip. Not quite a jumbo, but I think I get a lot of the same benefits.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Got to hit my one length utility today and I'm swooning. C Taper Lite was a great match.

Yesterday I added the one utility (2-3) to my ebay alert list. I'm hoping for a decent price on one, but not sure exactly how long I can hold out.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Got to hit my one length utility today and I'm swooning. C Taper Lite was a great match.

That is my same combo... It is soooooooo goooooodd!

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

So I've booked a fitting session at Club Champion to work on a single length setup.

Should be pretty interesting so I'm going there with an open mind.

My only concern is I've had very mixed experiences at Club Champion before so I have some reservations on that front. However I know what I like in a club and I know how I want them to feel so I've got that to work with.

I know they have the Edel in stock and probably the Cobra too.

So in the Cobra you have the F8, forged and forged tech black. Edel only have one offering.

I currently play the MP-18 MB so Im thinking the F8 will be out so it's between the other 3. Where would the Edel fit into the equation?

Thanks guy.

Cobra has the F9 irons coming out in a couple of weeks. Not sure if anyone has them in stock or available for testing as of yet though.

The cobra f9 are out by me, did a quick test, did a short write up in another thread. They are game improvement style.

Done for year selling it all.

Grrr,I just checked my order sheet and they made a mistake on the grips as they put down standard grips.....for a lady..I guess golf galaxy can change the grips with no cost to me.

I should have looked closer when I left the store on the order sheets.

I ordered the F8s with the nippon Pro 105 shaft and everything else was standard.

How long for a special order to come from cobra?

Grrr,I just checked my order sheet and they made a mistake on the grips as they put down standard grips.....for a lady..I guess golf galaxy can change the grips with no cost to me.

I ordered the F8s with the nippon Pro 105 shaft and everything else was standard.

My matching OL wedges arrived rather quickly. Great customer service.

5-7 business days order to ship has been my observation historically. I talked to a rep the other day who said it was a slow time of the year usually but now that F9 pre-orders are coming in it may pick up.

I use Lamkin UTX midsize, but I use midsize on my VL clubs too. I know Bryson uses the Jumbo's, but I'm not convinced that there is a relationship between grip size and one length, maybe more his single plane swing.

I use Lamkin UTX midsize, but I use midsize on my VL clubs too. I know Bryson uses the Jumbo's, but I'm not convinced that there is a relationship between grip size and one length, maybe more his single plane swing.

There isn't. Just as there's no relationship between single-length irons and a single-plane swing. You can have a single-plan swing with VL irons and you can have a two-plane swing with SL irons.

Grips don't correlate to either one, too. You should use the grip size you're comfortable with. Larger grips tend to inhibit wrist action, which is something Bryson seeks, but it isn't mandatory for single-plane swings and it is irrelevant to SL irons.

Bryson seeks to simplify his swing actions. Minimizing wrist action, keeping the club swinging on a single plane, and using irons all cut to the same length (and feel, etc.) are all aimed at that objective. I learned to swing the club on two planes with a minor amount of wrist action. I don't have the time, resources, or inclination to change to a one-plane swing. I do have it to add more wrist action, which I'm feeling my way through right now. I already use standard grips and might even go smaller in the future.

People are really overthinking this one length thing...you don't have to change your swing, your grip, your grips or anything else...You just swing it however you swing a golf club and they work as well as you hit it.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

All..need advice.

I'm about 3 months into the game (played sparingly younger years and had over a decade of pause but now taking it seriously) with weekly practice and lessons scheduled. I'm learning with old TM R9's that I picked up on the cheap, seeing a lot of improvement but still much work to do. I'm itching to try some one lengths and the F7's are available for cheap. Should I take the plunge or stick with what I'm using now to get my swing down? I know the more logical answer is stick with what I have so as to not mess with progress but I'm still left with an itch. Also knowing that more up to date technology would be beneficial as well. Help!

All..need advice.

I'm about 3 months into the game (played sparingly younger years and had over a decade of pause but now taking it seriously) with weekly practice and lessons scheduled. I'm learning with old TM R9's that I picked up on the cheap, seeing a lot of improvement but still much work to do. I'm itching to try some one lengths and the F7's are available for cheap. Should I take the plunge or stick with what I'm using now to get my swing down? I know the more logical answer is stick with what I have so as to not mess with progress but I'm still left with an itch. Also knowing that more up to date technology would be beneficial as well. Help!

All..need advice.

There is nothing wrong with giving the OL a try especially if you get them at a good price.The swing will be no different it just every thing is at 7 iron length except for your driver and three woods.

Curious if any tall folks on this form are gaming single length and if so at what length? I’m 6’4” and considering ordering a set at my normal 7 iron length of 38 inches. Any input appreciated

Not as tall as you, but at 6'2", I ordered standard 7 iron length. What you need to figure is, what club are you most comfortable with and order that length. So if you prefer a 7 iron, get the same length as your current 7 iron. As you prob know, sterlings are built off an 8 iron, so it really doesn't matter.

Curious if any tall folks on this form are gaming single length and if so at what length? I’m 6’4” and considering ordering a set at my normal 7 iron length of 38 inches. Any input appreciated

Not as tall as you, but at 6'2", I ordered standard 7 iron length. What you need to figure is, what club are you most comfortable with and order that length. So if you prefer a 7 iron, get the same length as your current 7 iron. As you prob know, sterlings are built off an 8 iron, so it really doesn't matter.

Thanks

All..need advice.

I would say that you would be the perfect person to give SL a try, and I wouldn't wait another minute to pick some up. I, personally, failed in my quest to transition to SL and my Cobra Forged One Length and 2/3 OL utility will likely be on the BST tomorrow, and I feel like it was a combination of comfort with what I already play and a stubborn mind. I actually found myself missing my standard length 4 and 5 irons (although I did enjoy having longer clubs towards the bottom of the bag and plan on updating my wedges to all match the length of my current PW). But for someone relatively new to the game, I think SL is a fantastic idea and I strongly believe in the idea of starting a future child in SL. When you're first starting out, why clutter your mind with a different position/setup for 14 different clubs? SL allows you to master a swing and have it work across much of your bag...

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

Lobber - try to do a fitting if possible. I did my fitting with an Edel rep and he recommended 36.5 for me. Im 63 so my normal clubs are 1inch longer, and so the Edel is more like an 8 or 9. Its really amazing to hit a 6 iron that feels like a 9 and goes 190.

What does age have to do with club length?! Just kidding, I think you just missed including the characters to state that you are 6’3”...

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

6'3, and I play 7 iron length. Wrist to floor, not height, is Relevant.

+1 inch was bad for my game. Hit my 7 iron much better than my 6

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

The OK is about 6' 4" and is now playing Edel SL, but i don't remember what length he's at off top of my head. Hopefully he'll chime in, or one of us could sift back in the thread to see his specs....

Edit: did the search, found he references his fitting in a separate thread. His specs are 37.5", which was his VL 8 iron. 95g shafts, FWIW.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Lobber - try to do a fitting if possible. I did my fitting with an Edel rep and he recommended 36.5 for me. I’m 6’3” so my normal clubs are 1’inch longer, and so the Edel is more like an 8 or 9. It’s really amazing to hit a 6 iron that feels like a 9 and goes 190.

What does age have to do with club length?! Just kidding, I think you just missed including the characters to state that you are 6’3”...

Ha ha. You are correct. 6’3” not 63 years yet!

6'3, and I play 7 iron length. Wrist to floor, not height, is Relevant.

+1 inch was bad for my game. Hit my 7 iron much better than my 6

My wrist to floor is 38 inches.

Lobber - try to do a fitting if possible. I did my fitting with an Edel rep and he recommended 36.5 for me. I’m 6’3” so my normal clubs are 1’inch longer, and so the Edel is more like an 8 or 9. It’s really amazing to hit a 6 iron that feels like a 9 and goes 190.

Yes I will heed your advice and get fit. Club Champion is running 50% off fittings right now so I’m going to take the plunge to be for before I buy and risk a bad purchase

I have been playing 6-GW in the Wishon Sterling irons since they came out 3 years ago. I just ordered a 4, 5, and LW heads off of eBay to have them built to the same specs as my set. Can’t wait to try them out

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

6'5" here. Playing Edel SLS +1/2" and 2* upright. I have 3 - SW but I have been playing a 3 cobra OL utility and a 4 cobra OL hybrid. I think that I may bend the 3i - 5i Edels upright another degree. Variable length - I play ping green dot +1/2" specs for reference.

I tend to be pretty straight with 6i and down. My lower lofted irons and the pair of cobras leak right on me. At first I thought that I may be over-swinging them... and I do think that is still the case to an extent. Now I'm starting to think I may need a more upright lie angle than 2 up on the lower lofts.

If anyone has any lie angle input for OL irons vs their VL equivalents then I would love to hear it. Anyone else thinking they need to go more upright on the "long irons?"

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie