Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

So I just invested in a full bag of cobra forged tec black one length. 3 hybrid to 60 deg wedge. Took them out for the first time today. Never even hit the range. Yikes, what a nightmare round. I'm a 10 handicap normally and had one of the worst rounds ever. I couldn't hit the 56 or 60 at all, insanely hard with the extra length. And didn't find it any easier to hit the 4-6 vs my srixon z765.

How long did it take y'all to get used to the one length? Very discouraging today and thinking this was a very expensive experiment. I realize I need to hit the range but just from reading on this thread, people playing the best rounds of their lives, I was disappointed to shoot one of the worst rounds for me.

Took me 2-3 months to make the change, need to lose the old ways of thinking, get to the range and start to work on ball position, dial your yardages in, go easy on the wedges, a 60* might not work for you.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

Just curious..... Bryson DeChambeaux won again last night (Dubai, January 2019) with Cobra Single Length irons. But he's the only pro that uses them (I think). I'm sure Cobra loves his success in being able to translate that into sales, but I don't think their sales will amount t much until other PGA tour pro's follow suite? What will it take for that to happen? Will it have to wait until enough junior adopters using single length irons make it through college and into the PGA tour that you'll see another such player, or will any current player ever 'convert over'? ….which will happen first? I hope Bryson is getting sufficient sponsor $$ from Cobra, he deserves it.

Give it a few years. You won't convert pros very easily. Their livelihood depends on their tools, they're not going to spend a year or two rebuilding their approach to golf. But when junior players who have adopted single length start making it to the tours, the market will adapt.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Spederman, one thing that helped me was to remember to hit everything like a 7iron. My wedges are the best part of my game as long as I remember, "Hit it like a 7iron" and trust the club to deliver the distance. Good luck and Congrats on your set up. Like Aucaveman says, it may be a mental thing that you can work out at the range.

When I first got mine I was over swinging long irons and underswinging short irons, trust the clubs and swing easier than you probably think you need to, ball position is another thing I had to figure and feel out. Once you start to get dialed you will notice differences quickly.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

So I just invested in a full bag of cobra forged tec black one length. 3 hybrid to 60 deg wedge. Took them out for the first time today. Never even hit the range. Yikes, what a nightmare round. I'm a 10 handicap normally and had one of the worst rounds ever. I couldn't hit the 56 or 60 at all, insanely hard with the extra length. And didn't find it any easier to hit the 4-6 vs my srixon z765.

How long did it take y'all to get used to the one length? Very discouraging today and thinking this was a very expensive experiment. I realize I need to hit the range but just from reading on this thread, people playing the best rounds of their lives, I was disappointed to shoot one of the worst rounds for me.

I had the opposite results. My pro gave me a demo set of F8's and I flushed them. I took the "everything is a 7-iron" approach and I refused to use the Gap or SW (didn't like them). The biggest difference for me was long irons; so easy to hit and though my distance was a bit short due to the length of the clubs (I need longer clubs), I adjusted and loved the feel. I think I'm going to order a set (4-PW) at +1/2" with Project X LZ shafts. Loved them!

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

Yep- I shot a few bad rounds with mine also - I've said this in other posts that they aren't magic wands. It takes some time to work with them and get use to their characteristics-

I have had mine about 3 months and around 18+ rounds with practice- and just recently have confidence in my 4 and lesser extent 5 iron to pull them out and make the shots-

myself - i adopted to the 6-PW quickly; there was really not much adjustment other than getting set-up/aligned/swing properly (still a 8-10 Hcp so never perfect every time :swoon: )

The 4-5 however was most of my struggle- which was a struggle with any other set also.

Now, I feel more confident than any other set I have had with the 4-5. We have a lot of water hazards and fairway/green side sand traps (50+) at my home course so distance/directional control is a premium.

The main reason I went to single length was for more consistency with the long irons-

The concept works at the pro level- But like each or anything, to include golf, its not for everyone

Curious....about how many 'juniors' are playing Single Length Irons. I wonder if you can access the equipment stats taken at AJGA tournaments. They have someone at the first tee box taking stock of what every player is playing. I don't know what they do with that data. That should be informative, as most who end up in PGA tour probably play the AJGA junior series on their way to college.

Just curious..... Bryson DeChambeaux won again last night (Dubai, January 2019) with Cobra Single Length irons. But he's the only pro that uses them (I think). I'm sure Cobra loves his success in being able to translate that into sales, but I don't think their sales will amount t much until other PGA tour pro's follow suite? What will it take for that to happen? Will it have to wait until enough junior adopters using single length irons make it through college and into the PGA tour that you'll see another such player, or will any current player ever 'convert over'? ….which will happen first? I hope Bryson is getting sufficient sponsor $$ from Cobra, he deserves it.

Give it a few years. You won't convert pros very easily. Their livelihood depends on their tools, they're not going to spend a year or two rebuilding their approach to golf. But when junior players who have adopted single length start making it to the tours, the market will adapt.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I'm moving my kids in SL.. 13 and 11 years old and both have been playing for a few years. Their swings definately aren't set in stone so I think SL will be a huge help in the early stages.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I'm moving my kids in SL.. 13 and 11 years old and both have been playing for a few years. Their swings definately aren't set in stone so I think SL will be a huge help in the early stages.

I like the sound of that. I told my brother, if my job is to teach my nephews how to play golf, they're going to side saddle putt. So as of today, I'm not employed as my nephews' golf coach...

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I like the sound of that. I told my brother, if my job is to teach my nephews how to play golf, they're going to side saddle putt. So as of today, I'm not employed as my nephews' golf coach...

Hahaha I was dismissed for the same reason. Sidesaddle for life.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I'm just not getting along with the S&LW yet on full swings. Mine are graphite shafted like the rest of the set. How are you guys who went OL full set like yours? How many are of are not using them still? The more I play the irons the more I like them.

Graphite here. I'm 3&4h, 5-GW and then Cally PM 56 and Mizzy 60. I love the idea of being able to have the same ball position, same swing, same distance from the ball, etc. The elimination of variables is huge for those of us who don't have the best swing in the world.

Curious....about how many 'juniors' are playing Single Length Irons. I wonder if you can access the equipment stats taken at AJGA tournaments. They have someone at the first tee box taking stock of what every player is playing. I don't know what they do with that data. That should be informative, as most who end up in PGA tour probably play the AJGA junior series on their way to college.

Great question. I'd be a little concerned that they may suffer in the long irons because of the lack of clubhead speed, but the improvement in accuracy should make it a no-brainer at that age.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I do not have SL SW and LW. They are traditional wedges, but are still +1

over length.

It took me about 4 or 5 rounds and a couple of range sessions to dial in and TRUST the clubs. I wanted to swing the 5 and 6 irons REALLY hard and wanted to let up on the PW and GW.

Once I realized that it was GOING to work, I just swung the club the way they were meant to be swung.

Now, I trust them, no matter what, and I know that I am going to hit the ball freakishly straight, and I am also going to hit them consistently distance wise.

Give it time...and don't be in hurry, but...TRUST IT.

I've been playing the F7s. Just ordered a forged 7-iron with an XL JumboMax grip to see what that feels like.

xl was too big for me, medium was perfect. I have large hands. Going any bigger would have done more damage to my swingweight, it's already lighter than I prefer as is.

If u decide u want a 5 and 6 forged, lmk lol. Trying forged tec next time.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Is this 'longer = more club head speed', is that based on the 'Iron Byron' machine which can hit 3-irons with the same accuracy (hit-ability?) of how it hits a 9-iron, or is that equally proven by amateur golfers who can't hit irons at the 3-iron end as well as they can at the shorter length end of the spectrum? As a scientist, I understand the concept, longer radius at the same axle speed = faster speed at the end of a longer vs shorter iron because you're covering more distance. Similar to putting a larger diameter tire on a car, now going faster than indicated on speedometer :stink: . I'm just saying, can people replicate that same feat of hitting the 3-iron as accurately as they hit their 9-iron?

Great question. I'd be a little concerned that they may suffer in the long irons because of the lack of clubhead speed, but the improvement in accuracy should make it a no-brainer at that age.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Is this 'longer = more club head speed', is that based on the 'Iron Byron' machine which can hit 3-irons with the same accuracy (hit-ability?) of how it hits a 9-iron, or is that equally proven by amateur golfers who can't hit irons at the 3-iron end as well as they can at the shorter length end of the spectrum? As a scientist, I understand the concept, longer radius at the same axle speed = faster speed at the end of a longer vs shorter iron because you're covering more distance. Similar to putting a larger diameter tire on a car, now going faster than indicated on speedometer :stink: . I'm just saying, can people replicate that same feat of hitting the 3-iron as accurately as they hit their 9-iron?

That's not exactly what I was getting at. I think the SL long irons tend to bunch (smaller gaps) more at low/moderate swing speeds. For me, my long iron trajectories are pretty low and get a lot of roll. I have a pretty decent swing speed (100+ driver), but I could imagine that trajectory being too low for people with lower swing speeds for the same reason that driving irons don't seem to work as well for lower swing speeds. I'm not using any actual data as evidence to form this hypothesis, just voicing what my concern would be if I handed my SL 4i to someone with 20mph less clubhead speed. I think it would fall out of the air too quickly and get the same distance as a 6 or 7 iron.

That's not exactly what I was getting at. I think the SL long irons tend to bunch (smaller gaps) more at low/moderate swing speeds. For me, my long iron trajectories are pretty low and get a lot of roll. I have a pretty decent swing speed (100+ driver), but I could imagine that trajectory being too low for people with lower swing speeds for the same reason that driving irons don't seem to work as well for lower swing speeds. I'm not using any actual data as evidence to form this hypothesis, just voicing what my concern would be if I handed my SL 4i to someone with 20mph less clubhead speed. I think it would fall out of the air too quickly and get the same distance as a 6 or 7 iron.

Someone with an 80 mph driver clubhead speed has no business hitting any 4 iron.. VL or SL.

With my meager 105 driver speed I absolutely love my OL 4 iron... So easy to hit consistently compared to VL. I have no issue with trajectory.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I've been out of the game for years, but decided to jump back in. Having not played for so long I thought it would be a great time to rebuild my swing and try out some single length irons. I found an awesome local fitter and had the opportunity to demo the following sets:

- Integra i-Win: The shape of the irons reminded me of the old Ping ISIs. I like the raw looking finish, thinish top line. Ascetically, they weren't bad. My problem with them was individual iron dispersion. I would catch some absolute flyers and had a 28 yard variation between hits. They felt nice, but never knew how the ball was going to come off the face.

- In1Zone: They had a very clean appearance behind the ball, but in my opinion look terrible from all other directions. To me they look cheap, and while it shouldn't matter, there's no way I would game them. They hybrids looked even worse. These also suffered from distance dispersion. Weird flyers and very little feedback off the face.

- Wishon Sterling: Based on the positive feedback I was really excited to try these out. Grabbed the 5 iron, gave it a rip, and almost dropped the club at impact. The "TING" off the face was startling. I had read about the sound, but didnt expect it to be so loud. Regardless of how nice they may be, I could never game them.

- Cobra F8: I really wanted to like the Cobras. Honestly, I had practically talked myself into picking up a set just because. Ugh...I was very disappointed. Between the different shafts, lie angles, super strong lofts, the set felt like a Frankenstein experiment. I just couldn't get comfortable and I saw zero improvement or benefits over the previous 3 sets.

- Pinhawk SL: BINGO! Wow, what a surprise. Heads look nice at address, felt very good at impact, and best of all were extremely consistent. Club for club the Pinhawks had the best dispersion, gapping, spin, distance...they were literally head and shoulders better than everything else I tried. The 4 and 5 irons were also a surprise. I had no problem at all elevating...they were as easy to hit as a 7 iron...go figure :). Digging into the specs I think the magic behind these clubs are the reasonable lofts. They are weaker than the other irons, but this provided a bit more forgiveness, and I think really contributed to helping elevate the long irons.

I ended up ordering 4-LW in the Pinhawks. I went with FST 125 shafts, and DTG Super Oversize grips...going full Dechambeau. Quick note on the grips. They're slightly larger than the Jumbo Max mediums, and have a nice firm yet soft/tacky feel. Best part is they are half the cost of Jumbo Max, and a great way to experiment with something new. Anyway, the clubs should be ready early next week. Can't wait to pick them up and I'll post some followup feedback after I get some time in with them.

Few months in, fully sold, check my signature, took a little dialing in with the long irons but the utilities are INCREDIBLE. I'm all in never been more dialed in with the approach game.

Now, I wear an XL glove but i am fully sold on the JumboMax XL size, security is the word I would use, secure grip with a ton of surface area to control the face. So far durability good too.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

I've been out of the game for years, but decided to jump back in. Having not played for so long I thought it would be a great time to rebuild my swing and try out some single length irons. I found an awesome local fitter and had the opportunity to demo the following sets:

- Integra i-Win: The shape of the irons reminded me of the old Ping ISIs. I like the raw looking finish, thinish top line. Ascetically, they weren't bad. My problem with them was individual iron dispersion. I would catch some absolute flyers and had a 28 yard variation between hits. They felt nice, but never knew how the ball was going to come off the face.

- In1Zone: They had a very clean appearance behind the ball, but in my opinion look terrible from all other directions. To me they look cheap, and while it shouldn't matter, there's no way I would game them. They hybrids looked even worse. These also suffered from distance dispersion. Weird flyers and very little feedback off the face.

- Wishon Sterling: Based on the positive feedback I was really excited to try these out. Grabbed the 5 iron, gave it a rip, and almost dropped the club at impact. The "TING" off the face was startling. I had read about the sound, but didnt expect it to be so loud. Regardless of how nice they may be, I could never game them.

- Cobra F8: I really wanted to like the Cobras. Honestly, I had practically talked myself into picking up a set just because. Ugh...I was very disappointed. Between the different shafts, lie angles, super strong lofts, the set felt like a Frankenstein experiment. I just couldn't get comfortable and I saw zero improvement or benefits over the previous 3 sets.

- Pinhawk SL: BINGO! Wow, what a surprise. Heads look nice at address, felt very good at impact, and best of all were extremely consistent. Club for club the Pinhawks had the best dispersion, gapping, spin, distance...they were literally head and shoulders better than everything else I tried. The 4 and 5 irons were also a surprise. I had no problem at all elevating...they were as easy to hit as a 7 iron...go figure :). Digging into the specs I think the magic behind these clubs are the reasonable lofts. They are weaker than the other irons, but this provided a bit more forgiveness, and I think really contributed to helping elevate the long irons.

I ended up ordering 4-LW in the Pinhawks. I went with FST 125 shafts, and DTG Super Oversize grips...going full Dechambeau. Quick note on the grips. They're slightly larger than the Jumbo Max mediums, and have a nice firm yet soft/tacky feel. Best part is they are half the cost of Jumbo Max, and a great way to experiment with something new. Anyway, the clubs should be ready early next week. Can't wait to pick them up and I'll post some followup feedback after I get some time in with them.

Thanks for the opinions, and glad you found a set that works for you.

Sterling low loft head impact sound can definitely be a surprise if one isn’t used to spring-face irons. I got over it fairly quickly when I realized how much it was helping me with ‘long’ iron yardage droop and off-center hit performance.

Again, though, glad you found a set that you enjoyed hitting. Best of luck in your SL journey.

It's great that you found a fitter who had access to all of those including the Cobras. The Pinhawks are based on a proven head, for sure. I agree with you on the lofts too.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I'd love to post as I liken myself as a semi-expert.

Used Cobra F7s all year, 106 rounds total. Used to tinker and mess with irons but now I ended up selling my backup set which would be unheard of 1-5 years ago.

Handicap dropped from 5.X to 2.3 not all due to them but they were a huge addition. I shot more rounds in the 60s than the last five years combined. Defended my club championship and the clubs never gave me a worry.

I gained consistency in practice and play. Less tinkering and thinking about ball position, setup, takeaway, etc. I was able to practice less and play more because I could bring one club to the range. All the same haha.

I don't see myself switching unless Ping comes out with a set.

I battled the low ball long irons that problem was real for me. I ended up putting the Ball forward a tad with all clubs to increase launch and it helped tremendously.

I did have some bunching issues with the 4-5-6 but dropped the 4 for a hybrid and it worked out. My wedges and mid irons gapped perfectly according to game golf gps tags.

I could not recommend them more although your mileage may vary. It's a weird feeling hitting a LW the length of a 7 iron!

It sounds like an infomercial and I apologize but just be open minded and willing to try it. Might be a home run for you.

Thanks for the report.

I am sold on the idea and have hit some SL irons and loved the short irons...it felt RIGHT to me. I just wanted to make sure before I dropped the coin on the Edel Irons.

They just don't make sense to me for the average golfer who hasn't done the research behind it.

I'd love to post as I liken myself as a semi-expert.

Used Cobra F7s all year, 106 rounds total. Used to tinker and mess with irons but now I ended up selling my backup set which would be unheard of 1-5 years ago.

Handicap dropped from 5.X to 2.3 not all due to them but they were a huge addition. I shot more rounds in the 60s than the last five years combined. Defended my club championship and the clubs never gave me a worry.

I gained consistency in practice and play. Less tinkering and thinking about ball position, setup, takeaway, etc. I was able to practice less and play more because I could bring one club to the range. All the same haha.

I don't see myself switching unless Ping comes out with a set.

I battled the low ball long irons that problem was real for me. I ended up putting the Ball forward a tad with all clubs to increase launch and it helped tremendously.

I did have some bunching issues with the 4-5-6 but dropped the 4 for a hybrid and it worked out. My wedges and mid irons gapped perfectly according to game golf gps tags.

I could not recommend them more although your mileage may vary. It's a weird feeling hitting a LW the length of a 7 iron!

It sounds like an infomercial and I apologize but just be open minded and willing to try it. Might be a home run for you.

Thanks for the report.

I am sold on the idea and have hit some SL irons and loved the short irons...it felt RIGHT to me. I just wanted to make sure before I dropped the coin on the Edel Irons.

They just don't make sense to me for the average golfer who hasn't done the research behind it.

How so? I don't think the average golfer does much research behind anything they put in the bag, sl is just one more approach to the game, if you're on wrx you are definitely not the average golfer. And as stated before you have to be open minded and be willing to try sl, most people I know just say there's no way they can work, and have never hit them.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

I feel there needs to be a little instruction to go along with a switch to, or good trial of, SL irons. I'm sure this thread has the advice said several times, so I won't repeat it. Although I could summarize it as ,when you swing, "think 7 iron".

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

The one aspect I'm looking forward to working on is hitting different types of shot.

I'm happy that it won't take too much time to get used to hitting 'stock' shots with a set of SL irons. As people have said, it's just a 6 iron or whatever it may be. However moving into different shot types will be interesting.

As stock I hit a baby draw and I've been working hard on bringing a fade into my game when needed. At the moment it is going ok (not tournament ready) but I hope this will be easier with SL irons. A cut swing with a 9 iron will be the same as a cut swing with a 3 iron.

As a side note it's amazing how often golfers (well I know I do anyway) hit balls on the range before the round and it is basically just stock shots, then the first hole you have to hit a 6 iron out of the semi from a hanging lie with trouble down the right!

Maybe just having 4-5 'swings' it will be easier to adapt with a SL set?

What are your thoughts?

I've been playing the forged tec blacks since they come out. So about a year. I broke out my 99 hogan apex's last weekend and shot about the same scores. Shot 78 today with the apex's. I really like the lesser offset on the apex's, but I'm totally sold on one length irons. My question is, what is the difference in the amount of offset from the edels to the cobras, Or the edels to something like the apex's? Can anyone compare them? Thanks in advance.