Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

I guess, can anyone think of an issue with just ordering a set of Pings with everything at 64* lie, 37.5", and at a D2 swing weight. I'm not sure if the play ability would be way off because they're not designed to be a SLI set, but the specs shouldn't be a big issue, you'd think. Any SLI users have any input on this idea?

My understanding is that the head weight would vary greatly from iron to iron, so bringing them all to D2 wouldn't be as simple as it sounds. It's the reason most OEMs don't have them. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong here..

Correct, I've frankensteined a couple of SL clubs from clubheads that were designed for VL. The weight adjustment is the toughest part. It's maneageable when you're shortening a club. My Cobra's have tungsten plugs in the heads to help bring the swingweight up. But it's probably much more difficult to reduce the weight of a short iron or wedge head when adding length to the shaft. I'd imagine those have to be designed and made to a lighter-than-normal weight.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I guess, can anyone think of an issue with just ordering a set of Pings with everything at 64* lie, 37.5", and at a D2 swing weight. I'm not sure if the play ability would be way off because they're not designed to be a SLI set, but the specs shouldn't be a big issue, you'd think. Any SLI users have any input on this idea?

My understanding is that the head weight would vary greatly from iron to iron, so bringing them all to D2 wouldn't be as simple as it sounds. It's the reason most OEMs don't have them. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong here..

Correct, I've frankensteined a couple of SL clubs from clubheads that were designed for VL. The weight adjustment is the toughest part. It's maneageable when you're shortening a club. My Cobra's have tungsten plugs in the heads to help bring the swingweight up. But it's probably much more difficult to reduce the weight of a short iron or wedge head when adding length to the shaft. I'd imagine those have to be designed and made to a lighter-than-normal weight.

Yeah my only thought is Ping has the tuning port on all their clubs so adjusting the SE wouldn't be that terribly bad, but no idea if thats true or not.

Might have my pro check it out. See if its even possible.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Had another range session tonight and even managed to get out and play 5 holes.

Tonight I was actually starting to work on performance rather than just hitting them. Again they still feel great with good feedback.

Couple of points I’ve noticed:

1. I appear to be hitting the wedge out of the heel too much, even hit a couple of shanks in there.

2. From the mat markings on the sole I appear to be hitting the toe of the club and not the heel, does that mean they’re too flat?

3. Hit a couple of mediocre strikes but the performance was still good and found the green.

The project continues...

Had another range session tonight and even managed to get out and play 5 holes.

Tonight I was actually starting to work on performance rather than just hitting them. Again they still feel great with good feedback.

Couple of points Ive noticed:

1. I appear to be hitting the wedge out of the heel too much, even hit a couple of shanks in there.

2. From the mat markings on the sole I appear to be hitting the toe of the club and not the heel, does that mean theyre too flat?

3. Hit a couple of mediocre strikes but the performance was still good and found the green.

The project continues...

Funny, I had the same experience as you in regard to mat dandruff tonight. My assumption is yes, but in my case the ball was going straight so who knows.

That being said, tonight it clicked. Hit a dozen shots in a row with 3 different clubs that stayed in a 10 yard wide gap left to right. It got to the point where I didn’t even think about the club I was hitting and just picked them up interchangeably (had my 8, 9 and PW). My last 50 balls were almost entirely pure with the occasional toe shot. The Cobras do a good job of masking a toe miss thus far.

We’ll see if it transfers to the course, but it was fun seeing the ball go that high without overspinning.

For those of you that have gone through this, did you keep your old shaft or try something new. Anyone make the leap to larger grips too?

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

Yeah my only thought is Ping has the tuning port on all their clubs so adjusting the SE wouldn't be that terribly bad, but no idea if thats true or not.

Might have my pro check it out. See if its even possible.

A Ping rep once told me he had this same request and the factory denied the order. They can't make the headweights correct for a OL set.

without trying to read the whole post again, edel guys, anyone gone with the sand wedge, had one with my sterlings and just couldn't open it up is the edel sw any different, able to be opened up for bunker shots?

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

Managed to play a full 9 tonight. Made 3 birdies which was solid.

Again a couple of mid hits but on the whole slowly gaining confidence. The Edel irons are certainly harder to shape than my MP-18 (not a huge surprise!).

Still feel like I’m hitting the shorter irons long.

Managed to hit a 9 iron from 150 with the ball well below my feet and slightly uphill to around 18 inches. Very good shot there. Later in the round I had 246 downwind and flushed a 3 iron to 15 feet pin high. Can’t hit a 3 iron better than that!

I may be able to get out for another 9 tomorrow evening before the weather turns on Friday.

I have my first tournament of the year on Tuesday and Wednesday next week but I’m not confident enough yet to stick them in the bag for that. Probably well into March before they come out in anger but my impressions so far are encouraging.

without trying to read the whole post again, edel guys, anyone gone with the sand wedge, had one with my sterlings and just couldn't open it up is the edel sw any different, able to be opened up for bunker shots?

Did you have the blade-style Sterling SW? I found that easy to lay open with the heel relief. Plenty of bounce for bunkers, too.

You're right. You'd have to get them all the same weight. That means adding weight to the low-lofted irons--not too hard to get the weight on, but it will mess up playability. It also means taking away weight from the high-lofted irons and wedges. This would be hard to do without destroying the integrity of the clubheads. They'll be unhittable.

Did you have the blade-style Sterling SW? I found that easy to lay open with the heel relief. Plenty of bounce for bunkers, too.

The new Sterling SW and LW are easier to open up, but you still have to play them at full length. If you both open up the face and choke down on the club, it will be more upright and bring the toe into play...in bad ways. You get to either choke down or open the face, but not both. Because this is a function of the length of the shaft, this would be true no matter which clubmaker you choose.

Awesome couple rounds in the 70's with SL long irons . I think they will make the cut for tournaments starting in march. Awesome. Took about a month to start hitting them, pretty happy I stuck it out. Really is like hitting a 7 iron.

That being said, these things roll out like crazy. Really struggling to hold the green with 4 and 5 utilities. And all the clips I've seen of bryson hitting his long irons, many show him uncomfortable with how much they are rolling out. Thankfully I hit these lower and straighter than VL, so I can arrow my shots towards geography that might help.

All and all, the consistency is worth it. my VL short irons working as usual, no robotic malfunctions switching between them

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Anyone tried going in between VL and SL with 1/4 increments? Still close to each other but a little more control in the shorter irons.

or do most use standard length wedges and SL in the irons? I tried my friends set and the wedges felt far to long to be able to pull of chips, flops etc...

The new Sterling SW and LW are easier to open up, but you still have to play them at full length. If you both open up the face and choke down on the club, it will be more upright and bring the toe into play...in bad ways. You get to either choke down or open the face, but not both. Because this is a function of the length of the shaft, this would be true no matter which clubmaker you choose.

I will have to disagree somewhat.

We aren't talking about a massive change in lie angle if one chokes down, and the potential effect of raising the heel for short game shots can actually be beneficial in a lot of ways, on square and open-faced shots. Toe-down chipping reduces turf interaction, so it can be a very good option for tight lies or little bump and runs. Paul Runyan comes to mind.

In the bunker, though, you may be right, but obviously ground and sand interacts with the sole of the club in different ways. I'm not sure that choking down an inch or so would change the lie angle enough to make a difference with sand interaction. Mostly depends on where the bounce is. If one desires the maximum amount of bounce for a particular shot and the toe is where their wedge has the most amount of it, then opening up the face and choking down might actually be the best way of getting the ball out and onto the green. And there is more margin for error in the sand.

Of course, choking down affects VL and SL in similar ways.

Interesting that you said that.... for years I've also noticed and reported that I get such great iron shots when I setup with 'toe-down' (i.e., raised heel) that it isn't accidental, that there's something to this. When I combine this action with always making great shots on sidehill uphill (which effectively does the same thing.... toe closer to the ground), I now setup for iron shots that way routinely to the point I'm wondering if I'd do better with 1*-2* flat lie angles. And my general setup for wedge shots from wet/mushy ground is toe down, the minimal turf action reduces my 'fat flubs' on wedge shots from soft turf.

We aren't talking about a massive change in lie angle if one chokes down, and the potential effect of raising the heel for short game shots can actually be beneficial in a lot of ways, on square and open-faced shots. Toe-down chipping reduces turf interaction, so it can be a very good option for tight lies or little bump and runs. Paul Runyan comes to mind.

In the bunker, though, you may be right, but obviously ground and sand interacts with the sole of the club in different ways. I'm not sure that choking down an inch or so would change the lie angle enough to make a difference with sand interaction. Mostly depends on where the bounce is. If one desires the maximum amount of bounce for a particular shot and the toe is where their wedge has the most amount of it, then opening up the face and choking down might actually be the best way of getting the ball out and onto the green. And there is more margin for error in the sand.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Awesome couple rounds in the 70's with SL long irons . I think they will make the cut for tournaments starting in march. Awesome. Took about a month to start hitting them, pretty happy I stuck it out. Really is like hitting a 7 iron.

That being said, these things roll out like crazy. Really struggling to hold the green with 4 and 5 utilities. And all the clips I've seen of bryson hitting his long irons, many show him uncomfortable with how much they are rolling out. Thankfully I hit these lower and straighter than VL, so I can arrow my shots towards geography that might help.

All and all, the consistency is worth it. my VL short irons working as usual, no robotic malfunctions switching between them

So this is the setup you are going to stick with, OL in the long irons and VL in the short ones? Its an idea I keep thinking I should do but then feel I am missing the whole point of the concept. After a full year playing them though, its not hard to see that I am hitting the longer irons excellent and the shorter irons poorer than how I used to hit VL. I dont know if its mental or what but I just dont hit the short irons well. Glad to see someone else is going with the combined set

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

But you just put a qualifier on my statement. An inch? No, that won't change the lie angle too much; a degree-and-a-half or so. But if you choke down to make the club the same length as a traditional sand iron, you're talking about two degrees or more. As we know, more than a degree one way or another can have a pretty significant impact on a club's playability--that's why we either bend them or buy them that way to fit us. Choking down 2 inches (or even more) on a club will bring the toe into play--from sand, turf, or whatever.

I bring up choking down because the SW and LW are supposed to be versatile around the greens. That's hard to do when played at their full (8- or 7-iron) length. Shots meant to be hit at a steep angle are discouraged by the flatter swing induced by the length of these irons. Choking down to encourage a steeper swing brings in the toe. Added to that an open club face that encourages height on the shot--typical lob shot or sand shot--and you have a big-time problem with the toe.

That's why I decided to compromise. I still play the Sterling SW--mainly for its utility in fairway shots--and I play a traditional lob wedge for a lot of my greenside work (including bunkers and flop shots). The Sterling lob wedge--which I have--is just a bridge too far for the reasons described above. Frankly, its length took away an important part of my short game--the high flop.

So this is the setup you are going to stick with, OL in the long irons and VL in the short ones? Its an idea I keep thinking I should do but then feel I am missing the whole point of the concept. After a full year playing them though, its not hard to see that I am hitting the longer irons excellent and the shorter irons poorer than how I used to hit VL. I dont know if its mental or what but I just dont hit the short irons well. Glad to see someone else is going with the combined set

To each his own, certainly.

The theory is that using one-length encourages grooving a single swing, thus making all the irons in the bag more accurate. But, as they say, individual results may vary.

My initial mental approach was to do that--SL in the low-lofts and VL for the high lofts. But I abandoned those thoughts immediately upon playing the set. I no longer feel like the high-lofted irons are "too long." But again, each of us reacts to these differently.

For others, please understand that single-length irons are not a panacea. Yes, you get some advantages from hitting low-lofted irons with shorter shafts. And yes, some players benefit from grooving a single swing for the set. And yes, this makes up for the longer high-lofted irons/wedges...for some of us. But not for everyone. It's really important that you demo a set before purchase, unless you're willing to accept a considerable risk that you won't adjust well to them.

BTW, the shaft length isn't the only issue that makes the lower-lofted clubs harder to hit. There's the loft itself. Lower-lofted clubs are harder to hit accurately, all other factors being equal. Some of this is related to mass--in traditional sets, lower-lofted club heads are lighter. (While in an SL set these club heads are heavier.) But a lot of it is the loft and its effect on sidespin. That doesn't go away in SL sets. In fact, some users experience lower ball flights which, in turn, are more susceptible to sidespin because they're being generated by lower lofts (to maintain effective gaps between clubs).

So, there's a lot going on here and there aren't simple answers. Some might say it depends on which variables you want to control for. I like SL clubs. I switched more than 2 years ago and have never looked back.

But you just put a qualifier on my statement. An inch? No, that won't change the lie angle too much; a degree-and-a-half or so. But if you choke down to make the club the same length as a traditional sand iron, you're talking about two degrees or more. As we know, more than a degree one way or another can have a pretty significant impact on a club's playability--that's why we either bend them or buy them that way to fit us. Choking down 2 inches (or even more) on a club will bring the toe into play--from sand, turf, or whatever.

I bring up choking down because the SW and LW are supposed to be versatile around the greens. That's hard to do when played at their full (8- or 7-iron) length. Shots meant to be hit at a steep angle are discouraged by the flatter swing induced by the length of these irons. Choking down to encourage a steeper swing brings in the toe. Added to that an open club face that encourages height on the shot--typical lob shot or sand shot--and you have a big-time problem with the toe.

That's why I decided to compromise. I still play the Sterling SW--mainly for its utility in fairway shots--and I play a traditional lob wedge for a lot of my greenside work (including bunkers and flop shots). The Sterling lob wedge--which I have--is just a bridge too far for the reasons described above. Frankly, its length took away an important part of my short game--the high flop.

Rich,

I chose to add a qualifier of choking down about an inch because I felt that your statements were too broad regarding choking down and the resultant effects on lie angle. The original question was about laying open a Sterling wedge, and typically those wedges are an inch and a half (or so) longer than standard.

The poster also asked about bunker shots, so we may not be talking about full-speed swings. As such the effects of lie angle on starting ball direction may not be as great. I'm not sold that the toe slightly digging plays much of a role in the bunker, given that sand usually offers less resistance to the club. To me bounce is more important here. And I don't know about you, but my stance in the bunker is generally different than it is for full shots, so my spine angle and required lie angle are different than what is needed out of the fairway. For even smaller swings like chipping and pitching I think slightly toe-down could actually be an advantage.

Basically what I'm saying is lie angle affects how the club works in different ways for full shots vs. finesse shots around the green.

Ironically I carry two lob wedges- one SL for shots from distance and one VL for around the green. I don't do this for length or lie angle issues - I have had no problem with chipping/pitching/bunker play with a Sterling wedge at 36.5" - instead I carry an extra lob because I generally prefer it's sole grind to that of the Wishon wedges (I like more bounce at that particular loft).

Please don't misunderstand me. Your point about lie angle change resulting from choking down is a good one. However I don't think that issue is unique to SL clubs. Golf is such an idiosyncratic game with so many unique ways of playing shots (especially around the green) that I feel statements about a club's playability or lack thereof should be made with a moderate degree of specificity.

I was finally able to track down an F7 5 & 6 iron to mix into my current VL set of irons. I'm going to shaft them up with the same shaft that's in my current set and have the lofts bent a little weak to even out the gaps.

The plan is to bend the 5i from 23* to 24* and the 6i from 26* to 28*.

My set will then go:

F7 OL 5i 24*

F7 OL 6i 28*

Current VL 7i 32*

Current VL 8i-GW

This will leave me with 4* gaps all through the set.

I hope to make the long irons easier to hit while retaining the comfort of my VL short irons. We'll see how it goes.

I do NOT have the Edel 55* SLS01 SW. I want one though, but not for bunker play. I envision it as maybe a '12 iron'. I'd use a 58* for bunker shots and what not.

If I have to hit a long bunker shot...I'll just make do.

That's my plan.

Yep! And there is a thread I linked a few pages back with others that did this and liked it.

While maybe Bryson's and others approach is a single swing, that not the whole point for me. I started researching this cause Bryson's grips were a revalation, and Long irons that fly low and are not actually long sounded awesome to me. and after a month or two of tinkering, it definitely is. And it has not negatively impacted my other club lengths. Just three more clubs in a bag full of varying lofts and weights and companies lol. Making the 4,5,and 6 iron a shorter club has made them easier to swing imo. trap draws/fades are much more managble in that length for me. Simple. I shot par last two days and 4-lw kept me up and down, my driving was trash.

I don't feel there is only one point to this. Hoping straight long irons gets me consistently under par this season, and so far they are make par easier.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Anyone tried going in between VL and SL with 1/4 increments? Still close to each other but a little more control in the shorter irons.

or do most use standard length wedges and SL in the irons? I tried my friends set and the wedges felt far to long to be able to pull of chips, flops etc...

Yes, I own both SL and 1/4" sets. I've played the 1/4" set for several years off and on, but mostly on. My PW and 9i are 36.5, the 5i is 37.5. What I see is that they fly normal distances and trajectories. My SL set had trajectory issues, but I need to reshaft them to something more appropriate to me.

I made the 1/4" set with Golfsmith Snake Eyes heads, and Wishon heads would now be ideal for this. That's because they start out a bit light, but include weight ports which can take up to a 9 gram weight. So the PW and 9i were light enough to work at 36.5, and I was able to get the 6i heavy enough with a weight installed.

On my set, the only head that had to have lead tape is the 5 iron. I made a 4, and it needed a lot of lead tape, but I don't use it anyway.

GW/Maltby KE4S irons could also be made this way pretty easily, I think.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I do NOT have the Edel 55* SLS01 SW. I want one though, but not for bunker play. I envision it as maybe a '12 iron'. I'd use a 58* for bunker shots and what not.

If I have to hit a long bunker shot...I'll just make do.

That's my plan.

I think that may be the best approach, kinda like my tk wedge around the green but like the idea of a full swing 12 iron, keep us posted and great thread for something that will be a passing fad a year ago!

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

Quick review for my first time out with the SL clubs

Set makeup

Cobra OL 3 utility with Recoil

Cobra F8 Hybrid OL with Tour AD

Edel SLS-01 5-SW with Padderson

TMAG Hi-Toe 60 36.5” with Aldila Lobster backweighted with Secret Grip

From reading the thread, I thought it would take some adjustment time, but I started hitting the SW and PW great right out of the shoot on the range. Moved down through the set and trying keeping the same swing. Very predictable ball flight. I could hit high/medium/low with just normal swings. Worked on some knockdown wedges and still no real issues.

Thought it was too good to be true so I went and played 9. Very windy day and pretty cool.

Shot -3 with a chip in on a par 4 and birdies on the par 5’s. Had a couple more good looks as well. Overall, hit the irons very well and if I missed a green, I was only off a few feet. Got up and down very easily on both the par 5s and chipped amazingly well with the longer lob wedge.

Hit some good wedge shots as well and even hit a good knockdown SW.

Overall, I couldn’t be much happier with the clubs. They feel great and just concentrating on repeating an easy 7 iron swing with every club really simplified things for me.

Really looking forward to working with these clubs long term. I may be in the single-length family.

AI Smoke Triple Diamond 

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

Currently testing the rest 🙂 

Quick review for my first time out with the SL clubs

Set makeup

Cobra OL 3 utility with Recoil

Cobra F8 Hybrid OL with Tour AD

Edel SLS-01 5-SW with Padderson

TMAG Hi-Toe 60 36.5” with Aldila Lobster backweighted with Secret Grip

From reading the thread, I thought it would take some adjustment time, but I started hitting the SW and PW great right out of the shoot on the range. Moved down through the set and trying keeping the same swing. Very predictable ball flight. I could hit high/medium/low with just normal swings. Worked on some knockdown wedges and still no real issues.

Thought it was too good to be true so I went and played 9. Very windy day and pretty cool.

Shot -3 with a chip in on a par 4 and birdies on the par 5’s. Had a couple more good looks as well. Overall, hit the irons very well and if I missed a green, I was only off a few feet. Got up and down very easily on both the par 5s and chipped amazingly well with the longer lob wedge.

Hit some good wedge shots as well and even hit a good knockdown SW.

Overall, I couldn’t be much happier with the clubs. They feel great and just concentrating on repeating an easy 7 iron swing with every club really simplified things for me.

Really looking forward to working with these clubs long term. I may be in the single-length family.

So is your LW not quite single length?

I feel like this is how I'd need to go on it all. 4i-gw all SL, then step down the wedges just for a little consistency and something familiar.

I want to get a set of these so so bad...

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Thanks, Stiff. JumboMax Mediums are en route.

U like em?

Just sent my Wishon Sterlings for a refinish. Can't wait to get these back from Oughton Golf. They did an awesome job! Playing 6-GW in the Sterlings and 54-58-62 in raw black Vokey. All at 36.4"

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

9wood can you show some shots of the faces please

I will when I get them... Currently in transit.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf