Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Glad you agree.

I don't, which should be obvious from my post.

Name someone who "lost his swing" and made a radical change-over to something like BDC is doing. I can't seem to recall any. Faldo is the closest, but he decided to change his swing because he felt he'd gotten as good as he could with his original swing. But the changes implemented with David Ledbetter weren't really radical.

But I don't want to distract with a strawman. I really am curious who you might have in mind.

Sandy Lyle, who won a Masters, lost it and came back playing Natural Golf which ironically, is also a single plane approach.

His last win on the Tour. The point is that no one makes a radical change and comes back. More often is the person who makes a change--usually for more distance or more sponsorship money--and watches his game fall apart.

The one aspect I'm looking forward to working on is hitting different types of shot.

I'm happy that it won't take too much time to get used to hitting 'stock' shots with a set of SL irons. As people have said, it's just a 6 iron or whatever it may be. However moving into different shot types will be interesting.

As stock I hit a baby draw and I've been working hard on bringing a fade into my game when needed. At the moment it is going ok (not tournament ready) but I hope this will be easier with SL irons. A cut swing with a 9 iron will be the same as a cut swing with a 3 iron.

As a side note it's amazing how often golfers (well I know I do anyway) hit balls on the range before the round and it is basically just stock shots, then the first hole you have to hit a 6 iron out of the semi from a hanging lie with trouble down the right!

Maybe just having 4-5 'swings' it will be easier to adapt with a SL set?

What are your thoughts?

Yes, that was my experience exactly. I became proficient with alternate swings more easily, throughout the set. It's an unheralded bonus of SL.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

The one aspect I'm looking forward to working on is hitting different types of shot.

I'm happy that it won't take too much time to get used to hitting 'stock' shots with a set of SL irons. As people have said, it's just a 6 iron or whatever it may be. However moving into different shot types will be interesting.

As stock I hit a baby draw and I've been working hard on bringing a fade into my game when needed. At the moment it is going ok (not tournament ready) but I hope this will be easier with SL irons. A cut swing with a 9 iron will be the same as a cut swing with a 3 iron.

As a side note it's amazing how often golfers (well I know I do anyway) hit balls on the range before the round and it is basically just stock shots, then the first hole you have to hit a 6 iron out of the semi from a hanging lie with trouble down the right!

What are your thoughts?

Yes, that was my experience exactly. I became proficient with alternate swings more easily, throughout the set. It's an unheralded bonus of SL.

Agree completely ?

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

What are your thoughts?

Agree completely

As do I.

I just ordered a set of SLI heads from a component company (not ready to spend hundreds on a test set). When looking through the grips trying to decide whether to go OS or not I see the Golf Pride grips with the "new" grip align technology... new my butt.... 25-30 years ago every grip maker had the "reminder rib" running down the backside of the grip. It kills me how the major mfgr's try to pass off old as new. ... Anyway the reason for this post was... what length do you all find is the best...37..371/2 .. or 38"? I hit the 6,7,and 8 about the same so is longer or shorter better. Thanks to you all who answer in advance...

Peace :rockon:

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

Geno,

Yeah, that's tough to decide. If you have an S-flex type of clubhead speed, then go 7 or 8 iron. If you need all the speed you can get, then I think I would go 7 or 6 iron. Obviously 7 iron is the default for most companies. Sterlings default is the 8 iron.

Whatever you select, it will be a compromise.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I just ordered a set of SLI heads from a component company (not ready to spend hundreds on a test set). When looking through the grips trying to decide whether to go OS or not I see the Golf Pride grips with the "new" grip align technology... new my butt.... 25-30 years ago every grip maker had the "reminder rib" running down the backside of the grip. It kills me how the major mfgr's try to pass off old as new. ... Anyway the reason for this post was... what length do you all find is the best...37..371/2 .. or 38"? I hit the 6,7,and 8 about the same so is longer or shorter better. Thanks to you all who answer in advance...

Pick whichever club you normally hit the best. 1/2" short will knock a bit of spin of the short irons, but possibly make the long irons bit harder to launch. Longer shaft would do the opposite. However, the actual impact probably won't make a significant difference so it just comes down to what you're most comfortable with and can strike better.

Based on my experience length is actually less important than loft for a consistent set. Most club makers still use super strong lofts and 3* gaps in the long irons. For regular swing speed guys this can become an issue as they don't generate enough launch and spin resulting in the 6-5-4-3 basically going the same distance. Just something to keep in mind while you're testing things out.

Pick whichever club you normally hit the best. 1/2" short will knock a bit of spin of the short irons, but possibly make the long irons bit harder to launch. Longer shaft would do the opposite. However, the actual impact probably won't make a significant difference so it just comes down to what you're most comfortable with and can strike better.

Based on my experience length is actually less important than loft for a consistent set. Most club makers still use super strong lofts and 3* gaps in the long irons. For regular swing speed guys this can become an issue as they don't generate enough launch and spin resulting in the 6-5-4-3 basically going the same distance. Just something to keep in mind while you're testing things out.

The bolded part above is why I went with the Pinhawks for my experiment. 4i thru 7i lofts are 20-25-30-35, they then run 4* from there down to the PW at 47*, and the LW at 59*. They work pretty well IMHO.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The bolded part above is why I went with the Pinhawks for my experiment. 4i thru 7i lofts are 20-25-30-35, they then run 4* from there down to the PW at 47*, and the LW at 59*. They work pretty well IMHO.

Thanks... I play my irons 1* up +1/2" so my 7 iron is basically a 6 iron length so I will most likely go with the 37 1/2 inch length. I can always cut them down if needed but it is a pain in the Word not allowed to add length. The iron heads I ordered are 1 club strong lofted compared to my Eye2s... the 6 is a 5 and the 7 is a 6 and so on till the pw is 44* and GW is 49* so it may take a little time on the range this spring (I'm in Western NY so no golf for a while). Another concern I have is all my irons are S-flex and I am turning 67 soon so I should probably soft step them a club or 2 ??. Anyway, thanks for the info, it is appreciated....

Peace

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

Geno,

Yeah, that's tough to decide. If you have an S-flex type of clubhead speed, then go 7 or 8 iron. If you need all the speed you can get, then I think I would go 7 or 6 iron. Obviously 7 iron is the default for most companies. Sterlings default is the 8 iron.

Whatever you select, it will be a compromise.

Yeah... I play S-flex but I am turning 67 soon and I definitely won't be gaining any clubhead speed so I will probably soft step the new ones by a club or 2. I think I will go my 7 iron length (I play 1* up +1/2") so the 371/2" length sounds good... may also help with the flex issue as well.....thanks Snowman

Peace

Thanks... I play my irons 1* up +1/2" so my 7 iron is basically a 6 iron length so I will most likely go with the 37 1/2 inch length. I can always cut them down if needed but it is a pain in the Word not allowed to add length. The iron heads I ordered are 1 club strong lofted compared to my Eye2s... the 6 is a 5 and the 7 is a 6 and so on till the pw is 44* and GW is 49* so it may take a little time on the range this spring (I'm in Western NY so no golf for a while). Another concern I have is all my irons are S-flex and I am turning 67 soon so I should probably soft step them a club or 2 ??. Anyway, thanks for the info, it is appreciated....

Peace

Which heads did you order, and what is your 7 iron swing speed? Based on the PW loft I'm pretty sure you're going to run into super strong and compressed lofts in the long irons. If your 7 iron swing speed is less than 85mph you may want to consider hybrids in the 5+...maybe 6 depending on gapping.

I'm going 8 iron length... seems to be the best blend for wedges and irons for me.

Me, too. It's also in the middle of a 4I-SW set, with 4 clubs with lower lofts than the 8 and 4 with higher lofts.

But the reason I chose it was because that's how Sterlings are designed. You can go longer or shorter, of course, but by staying with the norm I saw only a minor change in distances. (A half club longer.)

Got my Edel's in this morning, got them gripped up and headed to the range.

1st impressions:

I think people often just look at these as a set of single length irons, what they don't understand is that they are actually a really do set of irons period. They feel great and look great with that satin finish.

Now when I got fit it was at a Club Champion so only hit the 4, 6 & PW. Today was the first time hitting the full bag (3 thru PW). Compared to my current set (Mizuno MP-18's) I'd tend to say the 3 iron was a little shorter and the PW a little longer. It was hard to tell with the crappy range balls though. Hitting the 3 iron was really strange though, when you hit the ball it looks like it wants to fall out the sky around 150 yards but just keeps going to 220 ish.

In the next week or so I will get a hour booked on a launch monitor and go through and do my usual gapping tests to see where everything comes out.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Got my Edel's in this morning, got them gripped up and headed to the range.

1st impressions:

I think people often just look at these as a set of single length irons, what they don't understand is that they are actually a really do set of irons period. They feel great and look great with that satin finish.

Now when I got fit it was at a Club Champion so only hit the 4, 6 & PW. Today was the first time hitting the full bag (3 thru PW). Compared to my current set (Mizuno MP-18's) I'd tend to say the 3 iron was a little shorter and the PW a little longer. It was hard to tell with the crappy range balls though. Hitting the 3 iron was really strange though, when you hit the ball it looks like it wants to fall out the sky around 150 yards but just keeps going to 220 ish.

In the next week or so I will get a hour booked on a launch monitor and go through and do my usual gapping tests to see where everything comes out.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Those look so sick. Wish they weren't so expensive and I had an Edel place remotely close to me to just give them a try. Either drop $2k on Edels and be totally fit for them, or drop $1K on the Cobras and just guess what might work for me... Decisions decisions.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

After reading just about every post on here and hitting the F9 OL ordered the King Forged OL last week. Love the look of these irons; they’re as classic looking as it gets.

Got them out to the range today for the first time. Lots of rights and thins... Will take some time to get used to full swings but really liked chipping with these.

Going to stick with my normal length wedges and woods for now - pondering the utility or hybrid for 4/5 irons.

I’m all in on the idea for better or worse this year, so we’ll see how it goes!

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

After reading just about every post on here and hitting the F9 OL ordered the King Forged OL last week. Love the look of these irons; they’re as classic looking as it gets.

Got them out to the range today for the first time. Lots of rights and thins... Will take some time to get used to full swings but really liked chipping with these.

Going to stick with my normal length wedges and woods for now - pondering the utility or hybrid for 4/5 irons.

i had a good day at range with OL utilities. . . bagging them for a while i think. finally just swinging it like a 7 iron.

cant decide between forged 5 iron or utility, i have both. I guess if the pro is using utility, who am i to play otherwise lol

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

i had a good day at range with OL utilities. . . bagging them for a while i think. finally just swinging it like a 7 iron.

cant decide between forged 5 iron or utility, i have both. I guess if the pro is using utility, who am i to play otherwise lol

Ha, that was my thought. There isn’t an option for steel x-stiff on the Cobra site so going to try out DD and see what they can do.

Ha, that was my thought. There isn’t an option for steel x-stiff on the Cobra site so going to try out DD and see what they can do.

You can just call Cobra directly and order it with anything you want.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I planted the seed for a new convert last night. I was at Top Golf filling in for my buddy in his golf league and let his teammate hit my SL's -- he loved them. He said that his son is a freshman in high school and is about to get fit for a set of clubs for the spring season, and SL's are now going onto the list for him and his son to test. He couldn't put down my 4i... he was pretty shocked at how easy it felt. He didn't try the PW though, I'll let him work through that on his own. lol

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Anyone try ordering from like Ping to get the wedges to kinda fir the Cobra one length?

Just looking at the Ping and Cobra sites, looks like I'd need to order a Glide wedges about 1.5* flat and about 2" long. This sounds so awkward... lol.

I'm leaning ordering a F9 4 iron, the black CB 5-G, and then some custom single length Glide 2.0 Stealth in 56* and 60* in the ES grinds. Not sure on shafts, leaning either C Taper, C Taper Lites, or the Modus 120s.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I guess, can anyone think of an issue with just ordering a set of Pings with everything at 64* lie, 37.5", and at a D2 swing weight. I'm not sure if the play ability would be way off because they're not designed to be a SLI set, but the specs shouldn't be a big issue, you'd think. Any SLI users have any input on this idea?

I took the plunge and bought a set of Edel SL irons. Excited to give them a try. The concept has intrigued me so I figured it was worth a shot. Hope to have them in hand in a few days and give it a shot.

AI Smoke Triple Diamond 

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

Currently testing the rest 🙂 

I guess, can anyone think of an issue with just ordering a set of Pings with everything at 64* lie, 37.5", and at a D2 swing weight. I'm not sure if the play ability would be way off because they're not designed to be a SLI set, but the specs shouldn't be a big issue, you'd think. Any SLI users have any input on this idea?

My understanding is that the head weight would vary greatly from iron to iron, so bringing them all to D2 wouldn't be as simple as it sounds. It's the reason most OEMs don't have them. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong here..