Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

I agree that #18 is a terrible hole and should be torn apart with an excavator, however that's not the only problem at Hazelmere. Both Par 5s on the front 9 also have terrible layouts as unless you can carry it 270 you have to layup with your tee shot. 12 is ok because you can still hit the green in two if you hit your tee shot right to the end. The back to back Par 3s also really slow things down during peak times. Other than it's not a bad track.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1433998855' post='11730136']
I agree that #18 is a terrible hole and should be torn apart with an excavator, however that's not the only problem at Hazelmere. Both Par 5s on the front 9 also have terrible layouts as unless you can carry it 270 you have to layup with your tee shot. 12 is ok because you can still hit the green in two if you hit your tee shot right to the end. The back to back Par 3s also really slow things down during peak times. Other than it's not a bad track.
[/quote]

Agree with everything you said. But worse par 5 bar none in the Greater Vancouver Area is #6 at Pagoda. An internal OB? Seriously? I realize there is a safety concern with people cutting across #7 but just a poorly thought out hole.

WhiZ

[quote name='WhiZ' timestamp='1434000317' post='11730202']
[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1433998855' post='11730136']
[/quote]

Agree with everything you said. But worse par 5 bar none in the Greater Vancouver Area is #6 at Pagoda. An internal OB? Seriously? I realize there is a safety concern with people cutting across #7 but just a poorly thought out hole.

WhiZ
[/quote]

The concern I have with that OB is mostly that it isn't clear from the tee till you get there. Should be flagged big-time.

My favorite course will always be Capilano (and no, I am not a member). Great views, good variety of holes. And I love the 18th!

Nicklaus North is an amazing track up in Whistler and always in pristine condition.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

[quote name='Hathstauwk' timestamp='1434027985' post='11731072']
My favorite course will always be Capilano (and no, I am not a member). Great views, good variety of holes. And I love the 18th!

Nicklaus North is an amazing track up in Whistler and always in pristine condition.
[/quote]

Never had a chance to play Cap. Don't know any members. :( I've played Shaughnessy a few times and that for sure is my fave. My father-in-law was a member but he passed away a few years ago.

Played NN once a while back. It was good but I wasn't wowed by it. I found it a bit pricey for what it was. Just my take.

WhiZ

• 2 months later...

Played Swaneset Links course on Monday. My course was still closed to restore the course for the members after last weeks LPGA event.

It was in pretty rough shape. I always though they were not on the GVRD water system and had access to the water from the Pitt River so I am not sure why the dry spots.

Pictures from the 9th fairway and green.

But as always the club house is glorious.

Those Swaneset pics look like Augusta National compared to Point Roberts. I went out there a couple weeks ago for a twilight round, and the greens were green, but the rest of the course was just a brown dust bowl. I feel bad for Pt Roberts as the lady said they haven't had any rain out there since April, and it is just too much $$ to truck in water. Yeah, I would think they could tap into Pitt River being right there as well. Riverway in burnaby is in great condition, as I guess they are pretty low lying to the fraser river and can maybe tap into their water ?? The Vancouver club looked pretty good on TV for the LPGA from the spare reservoirs you guys have, but looks like we will get some rain this weekend.

Yes the Board of Directors were very forward thinking 10 years ago when the irrigation system was updated.

While we do have the reservoir and two wells to feed it we still have to conserve.

Don't know if you attended the LPGA or not but VGC went to great effort to advise everyone that we are not on GVRD water and have our own supply.

Guess it worked because I did not see one news report or TV report questioning our green grass!

[quote name='bb123' timestamp='1440609312' post='12212552']
Those Swaneset pics look like Augusta National compared to Point Roberts. I went out there a couple weeks ago for a twilight round, and the greens were green, but the rest of the course was just a brown dust bowl. I feel bad for Pt Roberts as the lady said they haven't had any rain out there since April, and it is just too much $$ to truck in water. Yeah, I would think they could tap into Pitt River being right there as well. Riverway in burnaby is in great condition, as I guess they are pretty low lying to the fraser river and can maybe tap into their water ?? The Vancouver club looked pretty good on TV for the LPGA from the spare reservoirs you guys have, but looks like we will get some rain this weekend.
[/quote]

Sadly Point Roberts will likely be gone in a year or two, it's an incredible fall as when the first opened in the late 90s they were rated amongst the top 100 courses in America.

ProV1

[quote name='Golfnuck' timestamp='1441331334' post='12260650']
[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1441271513' post='12255788']
Sadly Point Roberts will likely be gone in a year or two, it's an incredible fall as when the first opened in the late 90s they were rated amongst the top 100 courses in America.
[/quote]

Especially the way the CAD$ is heading.
[/quote]

Point Roberts has traditionally accepted $Cdn at par but I haven't been in ages and don't know if that is still the case. Considering how expensive and packed most courses around here are, you'd think they'd be able to pull some people in.

Edit: Just checked their website - accepting Cdn cash at 15%

WhiZ

[quote name='WhiZ' timestamp='1441331571' post='12260660']
[quote name='Golfnuck' timestamp='1441331334' post='12260650']
[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1441271513' post='12255788']
[/quote]

Especially the way the CAD$ is heading.
[/quote]

Point Roberts has traditionally accepted $Cdn at par but I haven't been in ages and don't know if that is still the case. Considering how expensive and packed most courses around here are, you'd think they'd be able to pull some people in.

Edit: Just checked their website - accepting Cdn cash at 15%

WhiZ
[/quote]

Sometimes they accept it at Par depending on who you get at check-in.

ProV1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any of you guys out there playing right now? If so where?

Unless it's cold and clear overnight...therefore frosty in the morning or snow....it's 365 days of golf here.......although it's really mucky from Nov to mid April.

For value....the drier courses in the Vanc area include Burnaby Mountain, Riverway and Fraserview....these are all muni's...the 1st 2 had good drainage projects performed recently.

A more expensive course that is drier is Morgan Creek.

Unless it's cold and clear overnight...therefore frosty in the morning or snow....it's 365 days of golf here.......although it's really mucky from Nov to mid April.

For value....the drier courses in the Vanc area include Burnaby Mountain, Riverway and Fraserview....these are all muni's...the 1st 2 had good drainage projects performed recently.

I work close to Northview, Surrey and Guildford, any idea how they are right now?

I work close to Northview, Surrey and Guildford, any idea how they are right now?

I would assume your answer lies here: I work close to Northview, Surrey and Guildford ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I have a friend that will be playing Surrey this weekend...supposedly some drainage work has been done there...I have never played there in the winter.

Northview is OK...not great...but not worth the money they charge.

Guildford is suppose to be a muck pit.

Belmont, Redwoods and Ft. Langley can be fairly wet....not really dry.

I think your best bet for conditions out there might be Pagoda Ridge.

S*ck up to Golfnuck here...he's a member of VCC....lol.

I have a friend that will be playing Surrey this weekend...supposedly some drainage work has been done there...I have never played there in the winter.

Northview is OK...not great...but not worth the money they charge.

Guildford is suppose to be a muck pit.

Belmont, Redwoods and Ft. Langley can be fairly wet....not really dry.

I think your best bet for conditions out there might be Pagoda Ridge.

S*ck up to Golfnuck here...he's a member of VCC....lol.

Guildford really needs to do something about their drainage, it is not a bad course to play at all. I like doing Northview for twilight in the summer. I'm itching to play, may wait a few more weeks before getting out there or wait for a couple days of pure dry conditions.

I was playing Northview in Jan. It was OK - they don't do a lot of maintenance in the winter months. Burnaby Mountain was OK. Riverway was slightly better but is crowded, even in winter.

I joined Kings Links full time for the season. Opened Jan 30th. It's a bit mucky in areas but the greens are decent (no temps) and it's playing fine. The new clubhouse is really nice! 3 rounds so far. Shot a 70 yesterday and 86 today. :| Playing Sunday and Monday as well. I love being able to book as a single. :)

WhiZ

Kings Links is maybe one of the worse drives from North Vanc....lol.

It drains pretty well.

I played there last April for the 1st time since 2000 when it was Boundary Shores owned by Bob Ahoh (sp?). Rumors back then was that Bob might sell it to Shaughnessey due to the Indian land lease issue.

It's a brute with all the wind....but I find the course kinda boring....I liked it more when there was punishing fescue back in the old days.

I'm glad to hear the clubhouse is nice.

Many people like playing there.

Kings Links is maybe one of the worse drives from North Vanc....lol.

It drains pretty well.

I played there last April for the 1st time since 2000 when it was Boundary Shores owned by Bob Ahoh (sp?). Rumors back then was that Bob might sell it to Shaughnessey due to the Indian land lease issue.

It's a brute with all the wind....but I find the course kinda boring....I liked it more when there was punishing fescue back in the old days.

I'm glad to hear the clubhouse is nice.

Many people like playing there.

Yeah it's a drive but all the courses I like to play are a drive for me. Cap is fully private. Seymour is only open on Mon/Fri and expensive. Northlands is too close to clown golf for my liking. King's Links is only 45 minutes if you go at the right time. :)

I'm glad the current owners have it. As well as the clubhouse they are clearly re-investing back into the course. Apparently they had a lot of dry spots last year when the drought hit and they're laying lots of sprinkler lines to deal with it.

I understand why some people find it boring. The Old Course at St Andrews and almost all 'classic' links courses suffer the same thing - the course has two defenses : the wind and the greens. And if the wind ain't blowing... Personally I love it but that's why I joined. :)

I love links courses like the Northview Canal or North Bellingham or Kings Links. Not everybody does (I think you commented once you found N Bell boring?) and that's cool. That's the great thing about golf in Vancouver - different courses are available for different tastes. In Aug my wife and I are going to Ireland and we're staying at Portmarnock which is a pure Links course and I can't wait! :D

WhiZ