Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

Got out and played 2 rounds this weekend, the first was at Morgan Creek, took advantage of their twilight rate. The course was in amazing conditions, greens had been punched a week ago and wasn't as fast as normal but still the ball rolled true. Exceptional course and very well taken care of, will have to do a few more rounds there this year.

Sunday morning joined and early morning Shotgun Scramble at Fort Langley, and well the greens were just punched and sanded so it played like putting through a sand box. Their greens have yet to recover from last summer's heat. I did win a KP so I get to go back for a free round, will see how it is in the next month or so.

Barring the greens, how is Ft. Langley? I know if the river level is up/it's been raining it can be pretty mucky. Gimpy back likely means no, but as I'm up this weekend visiting the family I might think about teeing it up in the valley somewhere. Thanks.

The course is very hilly, so I suggest with your leg you ride rather than walk. Fairways are wide open so your misses don't hurt as much, the greens are on the smaller side. Some of the holes have quite the elevation changes on them, 2 par 5's end up going a long way up hill. When I played on Sunday it hadn't rained all week so it was dry.

Got out and played 2 rounds this weekend, the first was at Morgan Creek, took advantage of their twilight rate. The course was in amazing conditions, greens had been punched a week ago and wasn't as fast as normal but still the ball rolled true. Exceptional course and very well taken care of, will have to do a few more rounds there this year.

Sunday morning joined and early morning Shotgun Scramble at Fort Langley, and well the greens were just punched and sanded so it played like putting through a sand box. Their greens have yet to recover from last summer's heat. I did win a KP so I get to go back for a free round, will see how it is in the next month or so.

Barring the greens, how is Ft. Langley? I know if the river level is up/it's been raining it can be pretty mucky. Gimpy back likely means no, but as I'm up this weekend visiting the family I might think about teeing it up in the valley somewhere. Thanks.

The course is very hilly, so I suggest with your leg you ride rather than walk. Fairways are wide open so your misses don't hurt as much, the greens are on the smaller side. Some of the holes have quite the elevation changes on them, 2 par 5's end up going a long way up hill. When I played on Sunday it hadn't rained all week so it was dry.

I haven't played The Fort for so many years I almost forgot about it. Do they still have that cowbell on the hole to ring when it's clear to?hit.

I haven't played The Fort for so many years I almost forgot about it. Do they still have that cowbell on the hole to ring when it's clear to?hit.

They sure do. That is the Par 5 15th, the one with the drastic uphill green.

• 2 weeks later...

Pagoda Ridge was in amazing shape on Sunday, greens were nice and quick! Very well maintained, climbing up my list and becoming one of my favs!

Yes Pagoda is always in great shape...even in the off season. I played the ridge at Northview on Monday and must say there conditions were incredible from the carpet like fairways to pure rolling greens. Other than Morgan Creek I think it is the best maintained public golf course.

Pagoda Ridge was in amazing shape on Sunday, greens were nice and quick! Very well maintained, climbing up my list and becoming one of my favs!

Yes Pagoda is always in great shape...even in the off season. I played the ridge at Northview on Monday and must say there conditions were incredible from the carpet like fairways to pure rolling greens. Other than Morgan Creek I think it is the best maintained public golf course.

Playing a tournament on the ridge course on the 15th of May, I have the day off Monday the 9th so might get in a practice round, have not played the ridge in years! Grass range is open at Northview used that this past weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Playing a tournament on the ridge course on the 15th of May, I have the day off Monday the 9th so might get in a practice round, have not played the ridge in years! Grass range is open at Northview used that this past weekend.

So we're you as impressed with Northview as I was...conditions were a 10 out of 10 when I was there. Wish that course was on my side of the bridge

So we're you as impressed with Northview as I was...conditions were a 10 out of 10 when I was there. Wish that course was on my side of the bridge

YUP very very very impressed with it. I played the Ridge course last week Sunday and then played Morgan Creek on Thursday and I must say those two courses are simply amazing. I would have to give Morgan the edge just slightly. Both places have yet to hit their speeds on the greens but they are consistent.

YUP very very very impressed with it. I played the Ridge course last week Sunday and then played Morgan Creek on Thursday and I must say those two courses are simply amazing. I would have to give Morgan the edge just slightly. Both places have yet to hit their speeds on the greens but they are consistent.

Download the Morgan Creek app and turn on the push notifications as they are always sending me deals. They have some earlier twilight times this year, etc.

I played both the courses at Bear Mountain last September.

I don't recall the exact rate but no way it was $250 and $150 for the Mountain and Valley courses.

I must have playing with off season rates.

There is no way those courses are worth $250 and $150.

We played Highland Pacific on the same trip and I liked it just as much as the Bear Mountain courses.

http://www.highlandpacificgolf.com/golf-course-information/rates-program/

We also played Olympic View and it is solid as always.

http://www.golfbc.com/courses/olympic_view/about/rates

I had to double check the rates at Bear Mountain and indeed they are $249 for the Mountain course and $159 for the Valley course.

Wow no way they are worth even close to that.

As a comparison we played the Jasper $199 and Banff Springs (Thompson) $239 courses and there is NO WAY any of the Bear Mountain courses comes even close. Now the two rocky mountain courses are worth what they are charging.

Agreed ..... Bear Mountain ..... what are they thinking.

$250 and $150 is insane for Bear mountain!!! Yes they are nice, but not even close to that. I thought $160 for Predator Ridge ridge course was pretty steep but this takes the cake. Sounds like they think their stuff doesn't stink since as they are getting a champions tour event? Yes banff blows it away, as well as Nicklaus north, etc. so many other great choices. Hopefully this comes back to bite them. Even their $190 rate for Vancouver island locals is crazy.

Bear Mountain is definitely overpriced these days for the current course offering. I would much rather play Highland Links which is cheaper and offers in my opinion a better course layout combined with similar conditioning.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Played Peace Portal yesterday afternoon and I must say for $24 after 4:30pm it is a decent deal. Course is in good shape, the greens were rolling true and fast! Tons of slope on the course though, I walked with a cart and it was a tough walk but good work out I guess. There is a lot of elevation changes and some very tight fairways.

Played Morgan creek yesterday at 430 for $49 and must say that course is in perfect condition. Thick rough, carpet like fairways and perfect greens made for a great day as we got the round in no problem. Drove through Surrey without getting shot so that was another bonus.

There's no public courses out my way that can compete with Morgan creek or Northview...played meadow gardens a few weeks ago and it was all burnt and just in average shape and Westwood Plateau is the worst of them all. Gonna have to buck up and get a membership and VGC

Played Morgan creek yesterday at 430 for $49 and must say that course is in perfect condition. Thick rough, carpet like fairways and perfect greens made for a great day as we got the round in no problem. Drove through Surrey without getting shot so that was another bonus.

There's no public courses out my way that can compete with Morgan creek or Northview...played meadow gardens a few weeks ago and it was all burnt and just in average shape and Westwood Plateau is the worst of them all. Gonna have to buck up and get a membership and VGC

LOL!!! You will not get shot going to Morgan...maybe if there was a golf course in Newton you may need to wear a vest for that round.

Where VGC really shines is during the winter as it stay in remarkable conditions given the rain etc.

A few more pictures from last weekend to tempt you ......

Vancouver club is my favourite course in the lower mainland. Excellent, consistent conditions year round on top of great architecture.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

I'm going to Victoria to visit my sister so looked into playing Bear Mountain...haven't played it in years and haven't played the new 18. They want 250 for the mountain course and 150 for the valley course...what are they thinking. Last time i played it was 80 to 90 bucks.

Hard pass, I played the Mountain course once when I was at UVic 2 years ago, paid 75 I think, it was good for that but no damn way 250.

Walk down beach drive and sneak onto number 3 at Victoria Golf Club, you should be at least able to get around the point before someone catches wind

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I'm going to Victoria to visit my sister so looked into playing Bear Mountain...haven't played it in years and haven't played the new 18. They want 250 for the mountain course and 150 for the valley course...what are they thinking. Last time i played it was 80 to 90 bucks.

Hard pass, I played the Mountain course once when I was at UVic 2 years ago, paid 75 I think, it was good for that but no damn way 250.

Walk down beach drive and sneak onto number 3 at Victoria Golf Club, you should be at least able to get around the point before someone catches wind

Guess you didn't get an A in an ethics course at UVic. If you are serious, and no reason to see otherwise, shame. BS and stealing.

Guess you didn't get an A in an ethics course at UVic. If you are serious, and no reason to see otherwise, shame. BS and stealing.

That was sarcastic, and pretty clearly so I thought atleast, I was a member at VGC for 2 years and know Mr. Kolb so I would never advocate sneaking on.

I did get an A in business ethics actually FWIW

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

That was sarcastic, and pretty clearly so I thought atleast, I was a member at VGC for 2 years and know Mr. Kolb so I would never advocate sneaking on.

I obvously didn't see the sarcasm in the post but your clarifying post will hopefully avoid anyone else getting you wrong. Cheers.

I obvously didn't see the sarcasm in the post but your clarifying post will hopefully avoid anyone else getting you wrong. Cheers.

No worries, tough to translate sarcasm online sometimes and I always forget that.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62