Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

I haven't played Surrey in 10 years so I can't speak for it but Guildford has really improved the drainage. Not so soupy anymore. 12, 13 are still awkward and terrible holes but other than that, it's not half bad when I play it for next to nothing. Plus I play it at sunrise so we're the first off and the round is usually around 3 and a half hours.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

WOW, all the nostalgia!!! GGCC was a good time yesterday I must say. We got out at 415 and wrapped up around 823 so it wasn't too bad. The layout is not the greatest, if you want to come close to getting hit by a golf ball a couple time a round go there!! The par 3's are amazing, except number 6, not a big fan of that whole. It looks like they have stepped up their ground maintenance, I remember a few years back the greens were littered with ball marks, mind you they were in better shape but still lacking speed.

Ah man good stuff guys :)

Ladies night = lulz.

With all the solid courses in the GVRD and across the line we know of and enjoy playing... is there a worse course still open in the Lower Mainland than Tall Timbers?

There was a 'worst course' thread last year where I posted the Yelp page for it, and it had a pic of a dead possum on it :taunt:

We played it once back in the day (late 90s) and then never again... my lasting memory is of a couple holes effectively being gravel fairways and that it had the impression they never actually mowed anything.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I must be living under a rock or something cause I've never even heard of Tall Timbers. :dntknw: Google time

Haha... You're not missing much. Played it years ago just after it opened. I remember thinking it had potential if you sunk a bunch of money into it but I think sadly it's done.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

I must be living under a rock or something cause I've never even heard of Tall Timbers. :dntknw: Google time

Haha... You're not missing much. Played it years ago just after it opened. I remember thinking it had potential if you sunk a bunch of money into it but I think sadly it's done.

I was thinking TT was Eighteen Pastures (formerly Iron Mountain, that I called Iron Lung some holes were so steep). Haven't played TT and it's been many years since 18P. Green fees are sure low at TT....senior 22.95 with cart weekdays it says.

Lol tall timbers is right. Played that course once about 12 years ago,truly terrible.

We played Northlands yesterday. As always visually impressive, but I would not want to play mountain golf every week. Course was in fair condition. Fairways were fine but greens were actually not great. Very slow and in rough shape on a lot of holes. Overall still a good time though.

Anyone played Pt Roberts very recently? Been a couple of years for me .

The showers this week will prob help rejuvinate any local courses. But my wife and I and friend have a tee time next Sat (friend's pick) and if it is absolute drought/dogpatch I might try to get her to reconsider before we do the cross-border thing from Kits. On the other hand, it's a quiet layout usually, and I don't think my wife has played there and not being pushed on a serene tree-lined course is a good thing for her.

My wife usualy does exec. unless we are in travel mode. We head to Osoyoos Labour Day ( both Osoyoos GC courses-Desert and Meadows- and Fairview Mountain booked) and are looking forward to those golf rounds and good eats and beverages. Practice for her meantime on any full size course is good.

The showers this week will prob help rejuvinate any local courses. But my wife and I and friend have a tee time next Sat (friend's pick) and if it is absolute drought/dogpatch I might try to get her to reconsider before we do the cross-border thing from Kits. On the other hand, it's a quiet layout usually, and I don't think my wife has played there and not being pushed on a serene tree-lined course is a good thing for her.

My wife usualy does exec. unless we are in travel mode. We head to Osoyoos Labour Day ( both Osoyoos GC courses-Desert and Meadows- and Fairview Mountain booked) and are looking forward to those golf rounds and good eats and beverages. Practice for her meantime on any full size course is good.

I played it in early May I think (after 10 years) and it was not in the best shape. Not terrible, but the greens were pretty bumpy. DIdn't ask how long ago they had punched so that may have been part of it. We also had a hot April so that might have added to it as well. Hopefully the rainy July/Aug has kept it green.

I like the course and the layout, and it was nearly empty so there's that. Plus, since they're hurting for business it's pretty decent price.

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

I played it in early May I think (after 10 years) and it was not in the best shape. Not terrible, but the greens were pretty bumpy. DIdn't ask how long ago they had punched so that may have been part of it. We also had a hot April so that might have added to it as well. Hopefully the rainy July/Aug has kept it green.

I like the course and the layout, and it was nearly empty so there's that. Plus, since they're hurting for business it's pretty decent price.

Thanks. My sentiments really...they can use the business too. We'll do breaky there first and that's been pretty good in the past.

Thanks. My sentiments really...they can use the business too. We'll do breaky there first and that's been pretty good in the past.

We played the park course early August and I don't recall the conditions being particularly good or bad. It's a pretty good layout and a decent vacation value. I would imagine it's tough for any business in Osoyoos to survive the other 8 months of the year when there are few tourists. Looking at the website it looks like they have a pretty solid membership package available so maybe that helps. We didn't trek out to Fairview this last trip but that's always a really nice round.

LOL Tall Timbers. If I had a herd of goats I'm not sure I'd let them graze there.

I learned to play at Surrey Golf. Started on the Willows 9 and then graduated to the full course once I sucked a little bit less.

I played the Willows on Saturday with a buddy and his gf who are just starting to get into golf. I like it was nice having a casual round, great place to learn if you are just getting into the game, and the fact they let you play the course over and over again make it a great deal.

I'm a snob. I refuse to play either Peace nor Hazelmere =)

Langara, Northlands, UBC and a few more on that list as well hahah...

I went to North Bell this morning and it's in great shape. Greens are pretty fast and the wind was up which is always fun. About a club the whole day and gusts of a club and a half on occasion. It was quite enjoyable even though I shot a 79 with 5 three putts. Don't ask.

Someone who enjoys organizing should really set up something

Why is Northlands on this list? I understand the others..

I went to North Bell this morning and it's in great shape. Greens are pretty fast and the wind was up which is always fun. About a club the whole day and gusts of a club and a half on occasion. It was quite enjoyable even though I shot a 79 with 5 three putts. Don't ask.

Well its been over 10 years since I've played it and I don't remember enjoying it. I'm playing it again tomorrow so maybe I'll have a different opinion of it =)

Played Northview Ridge today. There was dirt all around where the cart paths would be but it wasn't bad at all. Especially at $44 tax included. Also 11 is back open and 16 is closed.

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

Northlands is great, but those par 5's straight up hill suck ... I always walk it and complain about that, but you either go in carts there and have a good time, or huff and puff it and are angry I guess :) .. It's a great test of golf, but I just cant stand #18. Nice tee shot, then bump it over the creek, but then you are like 120-130 straight up hill blind and you gotta rip like a hard 8-9 iron at it and I always come up short (thats what she said) .. maybe it's just one of those holes I dont' like. Add Mcleery #10 to that list as well. Only parred it once in like 30 times

Pt Roberts was just a dust bowl last year with the drought (felt sorry for them), but it must be in better shape this year. They are just really nice down there, free coffee, they also got the best brekfast sandwich in town. The brekfast bogey or something? I don't think the greens will be the best, but its still way better than Guildford/Surrey, etc.

Just got home from Northlands. Course was beautiful but I don't know if that made up for the awkward holes and the ridiculous elevation changes. I didn't know any better and walked the course. BIG MISTAKE. The greens were nice, save for 11 and 14 but all the greens are also pretty damn slow.

For $45, worth it but next time, definitely getting a power cart =)

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

Feels like fall today but yesterday was great.

Had a chance to play at this course and as usual it was in spectacular shape.

Wow, that's a really nice place to play. Love the setting and the Stanley Thompson design. I played there once years ago. I'd love to play again sometime.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Cap?

WOW...never seen pictures before. Looks beautiful! Hoping for a sunny and cool September =)

Yes it is Capilano.

Sorry I was a bit "cheeky" by not posting the name of the club in my original post.

Counter clockwise from top left .....

- looking back up #1 from below green

- down #6 fairway

- up #13 fairway

- from tee box of #14 (must make sure not to hit the $$$$ cars below)

For the first set of pictures .....

- up towards club house from fairway of #18

- down #17 fairway

- down #18 from the green

Cap?

WOW...never seen pictures before. Looks beautiful! Hoping for a sunny and cool September =)

Yes it is Capilano.

Sorry I was a bit "cheeky" by not posting the name of the club in my original post.

- down #6 fairway

- up #13 fairway

- down #17 fairway

No worries. At first I figured it was VGC but with the mountains I realized it must be Cap. Thanks for sharing the pics!

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

Cap?

Yes it is Capilano.

- down #6 fairway

- up #13 fairway

- down #17 fairway

Great pics, thanks for sharing :)

I have a childhood family friend who's a member of cap. We're not close now, and frankly I don't particularly like him. But every time I happen to run into him, I think to myself at least for a moment, that really need to make an effort to be friends with him, solely to get onto cap. Disingenuous? Yup.

I have a childhood family friend who's a member of cap. We're not close now, and frankly I don't particularly like him. But every time I happen to run into him, I think to myself at least for a moment, that really need to make an effort to be friends with him, solely to get onto cap. Disingenuous? Yup.

Ha! I had the same feeling - with regards to someone I worked with who had an in at the Cal Club - a very highly regarded track here.

In the end I couldn't do that used car salesman crap just to play a golf course... we're better than that surely ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.