2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

The closest public golf course to the Sheraton Wall Centre is:

Languara Golf Course - approx 8 km away, not really a good course as tee boxes are very close to other greens and fairways and it is really short course.

http://vancouver.ca/...olf-course.aspx

McCleery Golf Course - approx 9 km away, not a bad course but fairways may be wet at that time due to proximity to Fraser River.

Fraserview Golf Course - approx 11 km away, the best by far of the three Vancouver public courses. If this course was ever turned into a private course and some $$$ was spent to improve things it would easily rival Shaughnessy Golf Club which is considered the best private course in the City of Vancouver.

Northlands Golf Course - approx 29 km away (but probably get there as fast as the other three courses due to using the upper levels freeway vs. city streets). It is a mountain course and should be very playable by April.

http://golfnorthlands.com/

If you have access to play at a private club then Capilano Golf Club is 11 km away. Not sure if you can book as a reciprocal guest on a weekend.

http://www.capilanogolf.com/

lemonbow, I would look at the University Course. http://www.universitygolf.com/

It's a very decent track not far from downtown. Food is good and reasonable too. Can even get there by bus fairly easily. Otherwise McCleery or Fraserview.

That said, the Men's Clubs at all these courses will have started by then, so you should check with the course on blocked off times if coming as a single on a Saturday I think MCCleery has a pretty small Men's Club now, not sure on the other two.

lemonbow, I would look at the University Course. http://www.universitygolf.com/

myspinonit is absolutely correct.

I forgot about University Golf Club it is a great track.

Thanks. If the visitor from Sask has time and interest in golf history, old clubs/balls etc he might want to pop in the BC Golf Museum, which is just behind the 17th tee, and also accessible from Blanca at the UBC gates.

http://www.bcgolfhouse.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work at Morgan. One of my favorite courses in the Lower Mainland, always in excellent shape.

The atmosphere (staff) aren't the greatest. Unless you're a baller they barely give you the time of day. They cater to the members and charge way too much to regular customers, at least in my opinion. I only play there twilight or when they have a discount.

If they charged a more reasonable rate, they'd probably be the busiest place in town.

Morgan Creek is nice, and they have some good afternoon rates, but agree it is not worth their peak summer fees. The biggest gouge i've seen out there for joe public is that they charge like $6-7 for a small warmup bucket of balls, and is literally like 15-20 balls. This year at the golf show they were advertising cheaper afternoon/twilight rates all year round with some range balls included, etc. Its a nice course, but I don't think its that super nice. It's worth the trip though for a couple rounds a year. But if you are driving that far, snag the nexus card and hit across the line to Homestead Farms, Loomis Trail or Semiahmoo as well. They all have good afternoon rates, etc.

Morgan Creek is nice, and they have some good afternoon rates, but agree it is not worth their peak summer fees. The biggest gouge i've seen out there for joe public is that they charge like $6-7 for a small warmup bucket of balls, and is literally like 15-20 balls. This year at the golf show they were advertising cheaper afternoon/twilight rates all year round with some range balls included, etc. Its a nice course, but I don't think its that super nice. It's worth the trip though for a couple rounds a year. But if you are driving that far, snag the nexus card and hit across the line to Homestead Farms, Loomis Trail or Semiahmoo as well. They all have good afternoon rates, etc.

I think semiahmoo and Loomis were offering 40 weekday and 50 weekend with Canadian money at par.

I think semiahmoo and Loomis were offering 40 weekday and 50 weekend with Canadian money at par.

Yeah March special only .. Canadian cash $40 weekday, $50 weekends .. great deal.

Dont forget Shuksan Golf Course just across the border.

To me it is has one of the most interest layouts but it is just a bit hard to walk with all the up and downs.

Shuksan is nice .. just there are 2-3 long walks straight up the hill that you will get buns of steel after. I also really enjoy North Bellingham & Lake Padden as well. Hopefully our dollar keeps going up.

Dont forget Shuksan Golf Course just across the border.

To me it is has one of the most interest layouts but it is just a bit hard to walk with all the up and downs.

Shuksan is nice .. just there are 2-3 long walks straight up the hill that you will get buns of steel after. I also really enjoy North Bellingham & Lake Padden as well. Hopefully our dollar keeps going up.

This! NB and Padden were two of our go-to courses back in the day. Obviously you needed a dry stretch to really enjoy Padden cause it could get so wet. Was the course I shot my first round in the 70s on. The value across the line, put the GVRD to shame. Their earlier twilight times sure helped stretch a dollar as well.

Playing into and out of that valley at Shuksan was a right pain, especially when it got over 25c, you could do some Rocky montages there.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Thanks for this, I grabbed the card at the golf show this year and am looking forward to taking advantage of their twilight rates for sure!!

Played Pagoda Ridge on Saturday and I must say the course was in great shape...greens rolled true and were exceptionally quick for this time of year. However I normally walk but took power carts and both seats on each cart were ripped in same spot and got my shorts wet. One cart the low budget GPS didn't work, it was cart path only and they charged us near $40 for the cart. The round came to $80 with cart which seems pretty rich for this time of year. Its a course I play only a few times a year as it's like a Swaneset...in good shape but the layout gets boring.

• 2 weeks later...

So I thought I would try Westwood Plateau out since I've heard they have put alot of work into the course in the off season. Unfortunately nothing has changed as the course has the same brutal conditions as it did last year. The bunkers need to be refilled with new sand and are full of large rocks, the tee boxes and fairways are spotty and the greens are bumpy and spotty. It's a shame because the course layout is one of my favourites but to charge $100 in the summer is ridiculous when you can play Morgan Creek or northview who actually know how to maintain a golf course. It's your typical overseas owner who doesn't want to put any money into the course.

Just played in my first tournament of the year, it was at Northview the Canal Course, and I must say the course was in fantastic conditions, the greens were not as quick as they are in the summer but the rest of the course was well taken care of.

Well Northviews greenskeeper should give the guy at Westwood plateau some advice because he doesn't have a clue how to maintain a course

Just played in my first tournament of the year, it was at Northview the Canal Course, and I must say the course was in fantastic conditions, the greens were not as quick as they are in the summer but the rest of the course was well taken care of.

Well Northviews greenskeeper should give the guy at Westwood plateau some advice because he doesn't have a clue how to maintain a course

Or is it more a budget issue ?

Got out and played 2 rounds this weekend, the first was at Morgan Creek, took advantage of their twilight rate. The course was in amazing conditions, greens had been punched a week ago and wasn't as fast as normal but still the ball rolled true. Exceptional course and very well taken care of, will have to do a few more rounds there this year.

Sunday morning joined and early morning Shotgun Scramble at Fort Langley, and well the greens were just punched and sanded so it played like putting through a sand box. Their greens have yet to recover from last summer's heat. I did win a KP so I get to go back for a free round, will see how it is in the next month or so.

Got out and played 2 rounds this weekend, the first was at Morgan Creek, took advantage of their twilight rate. The course was in amazing conditions, greens had been punched a week ago and wasn't as fast as normal but still the ball rolled true. Exceptional course and very well taken care of, will have to do a few more rounds there this year.

Sunday morning joined and early morning Shotgun Scramble at Fort Langley, and well the greens were just punched and sanded so it played like putting through a sand box. Their greens have yet to recover from last summer's heat. I did win a KP so I get to go back for a free round, will see how it is in the next month or so.

Barring the greens, how is Ft. Langley? I know if the river level is up/it's been raining it can be pretty mucky. Gimpy back likely means no, but as I'm up this weekend visiting the family I might think about teeing it up in the valley somewhere. Thanks.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.