2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

21 hours ago, Shushwap said:

The way prices are going on everything I may not be able to afford to play golf much longer.. $2 for fuel to get to the course.. $150 for a round.. Throw lunch and drinks  in there and it's $250 to play a round of golf.. My buddies used to make fun of me for packing a lunch when I would play.. I noticed more of them bringing snacks or water with them last year.. 

I don't think the average Joe has a extra grand a month to play once a week 

I feel bad for courses as this golf boom is going to slow down 

How many rounds do u all plan to get in this year if u do not have a  membership at a course ? 

I'm looking at around 20.. Possibly a few more as my kid got a job at a course this year.. Hopefully he can hook up the old man for some cheap golf.. Need to get something out of these money sucking kids lol 

There is a idea I never thought of.. I should have started my kids on the path of golf course maintenance when they were young.. Groomed them to be a super at a high end course.. I didn't think that through lol 

It's tough.  

The weekly round of golf is a lifestyle.  If I could only play 1-2x per month I think I would enjoy the game less and less.  

The market will dictate what happens.  My fear is that when all the "older people" (use your own definition of old haha) with deep pockets age out - courses will just sell to developers rather than re-think their business plans.

For me golf is instead of a car payment.  I drive old vehicles and fix them myself when they break.  Even so, it's still tight.  And yeah, I pretty much never eat/drink at the course.

2 hours ago, The Beav said:

It's tough.  

The weekly round of golf is a lifestyle.  If I could only play 1-2x per month I think I would enjoy the game less and less.  

The market will dictate what happens.  My fear is that when all the "older people" (use your own definition of old haha) with deep pockets age out - courses will just sell to developers rather than re-think their business plans.

For me golf is instead of a car payment.  I drive old vehicles and fix them myself when they break.  Even so, it's still tight.  And yeah, I pretty much never eat/drink at the course.

This "older people" retired guy had stopped golf for quite  a few years, partly back issues, partly finances.  Even though I also drove old vehicles and was single then.

When I semi-retired in 2008 I bought a  full bag of Adams as a "re-starter" more current set. I thought my golf might just be at an Exec course like Country Meadows a couple of times  a month.

Shortly after buying those Adams,  I stumbled into a seniors group foursome as a single, got a handicap and  joined that group.  That day changed my retirement (and my wife's who had never swung  a club before then).  She doesn't really play now other than the odd round when we go away, or maybe a couple of times a year at an Exec course with me.

Fortunately I am blessed now that I am able to golf several times a week if I choose. Combination of a better financial position and improved back and the benefit of senior weekly rates at the munis and UBC, usually with group affiliations  that book times.  I don't generally play locally at other than Burnaby or Vancouver munis or UBC, unless the group has an "away game" somewhere. 

Will golf carry on the same? Will courses become housing? Who knows?  But to beat the bushes a bit again,  that's  the reason I've encouraged on here for folks to sign up into the Vancouver Golf Players Association to show support to help at least the Vancouver munis keep thriving.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Beav said:

It's tough.  

Covid has been great for golf as it brought in some younger blood which was desperately needed.. 

As u say the older generation is retiring from golf as well and getting priced out for some...

I hear ya on the older vehicles I can't bring myself to make a car payment... If I ever did it would slow down the amount I play as I wouldn't have as much disposable income.. 

I play with a guy a few times a year and he is one of those payment people.. 800 SUV payment 1650 for his one bedroom apartment and then wants to golf at least once a week at a nice course at 100 plus a round.. 

These kids are all going to be working until there 80

16 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

Covid has been great for golf as it brought in some younger blood which was desperately needed.. 

As u say the older generation is retiring from golf as well and getting priced out for some...

I hear ya on the older vehicles I can't bring myself to make a car payment... If I ever did it would slow down the amount I play as I wouldn't have as much disposable income.. 

I play with a guy a few times a year and he is one of those payment people.. 800 SUV payment 1650 for his one bedroom apartment and then wants to golf at least once a week at a nice course at 100 plus a round.. 

These kids are all going to be working until there 80

Yeah...rental rates, not just mortages and kids. That $1650 one bed apt rent is apparently $125 less than the current Kelowna average, and would be 500 more in Vancouver, just to be the current average.  Nuts.  Not to mention current inflation trends. So maybe this golf surge will be short-lived.  Certainly a bunch of courses closed down south in the great recession of 2008. Though part of that were ones tied to gated communities and people losing their houses. 

Cheery thoughts this morning. Not.

Edited by myspinonit

26 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

Yeah...rental rates, not just mortages and kids. That $1650 one bed apt rent is apparently $125 less than the current Kelowna average, and would be 500 more in Vancouver, just to be the current average.  Nuts.  Not to mention current inflation trends. So maybe this golf surge will be short-lived.  Certainly a bunch of courses closed down south in the great recession of 2008. Though part of that were ones tied to gated communities and people losing their houses. 

Cheery thoughts this morning. Not.

We had a bunch of courses go into bankruptcy in this area in 08

I think tobiano is on there 3rd owner.. 

The rise in Vernon went into bankruptcy..Tower ranch.. Sagebrush in merrit is just coming back into play this year after being closed for years 

I just hope these courses shovel some of there windfall away for a rainy day 

Enough talk abiut about courses closing.. Let's talk about who is opening in the next few weeks... Things are starting to open up here this coming week 

I need to get out to the range on Monday and get this crappy back into some sort of golf shape 

Edited by Shushwap
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

We had a bunch of courses go into bankruptcy in this area in 08

I think tobiano is on there 3rd owner.. 

The rise in Vernon went into bankruptcy.. Sagebrush in merrit is just coming back into play this year after being closed for years 

I just hope these courses shovel some of there windfall away for a rainy day 

Enough talk abiut about courses closing.. Let's talk about who is opening in the next few weeks... Things are starting to open up here this coming week 

I need to get out to the range on Monday and get this crappy back into some sort of golf shape 

Right on.

By the way, please send me a PM after your trip south on  stores you find that are carrying XW.  Looks like we’ll be in Mulkiteo  (near Everett) late May for a few days  and possibly one day will be a shopping day, especially if it rains. 

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

^^ Yes, looks like pent up demand to play will be tempered some by conditions.

I'm still expecting to play McCleery and University this week with expected better weather and hope it dries a touch by then. But after last week's mud-caked shoes at McCleery,  this time I'll probably wear my washable golf boots.

Speaking of those courses, some aeration dates for those not aware: 

University is closed all next week for aeration and McCleery Monday-Wednesday.

Langara is the following week, and Fraserview a week after Easter on April 25-27.

Riverway aerated the greens early last week; not sure about Bby Mountain but presumably that was done the week earlier or will be this week.

Langara was in surprisingly good shape all considered with the new drainage when I last played it  on March 10.

Edited by myspinonit

Looking for recommendations a club builder in Vancouver/GVRD. Who's the best, most meticulous or just plain knows their stuff. I've got shafts and grips coming, and want to get them built up properly.

There's been a couple other posts here, but they're much older so looking for current info.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

2 hours ago, IcemanYVR said:

Looking for recommendations a club builder in Vancouver/GVRD. Who's the best, most meticulous or just plain knows their stuff. I've got shafts and grips coming, and want to get them built up properly.

There's been a couple other posts here, but they're much older so looking for current info.

Ticking all your boxes is Lincoln Li  who runs Tru-Fit Golf Studio in Richmond (at the Go Go Golf location close to IKEA).  Plus very fair prices. I just checked to ensure it comes up on a Google search. 

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, myspinonit said:

^^ Yes, looks like pent up demand to play will be tempered some by conditions.

I'm still expecting to play McCleery and University this week with expected better weather and hope it dries a touch by then. But after last week's mud-caked shoes at McCleery,  this time I'll probably wear my washable golf boots.

Speaking of those courses, some aeration dates for those not aware: 

University is closed all next week for aeration and McCleery Monday-Wednesday.

Langara is the following week, and Fraserview a week after Easter on April 25-27.

Riverway aerated the greens early last week; not sure about Bby Mountain but presumably that was done the week earlier or will be this week.

Langara was in surprisingly good shape all considered with the new drainage when I last played it  on March 10.

Morgan just reopened on Saturday after punching. The course didn't recover as well as they planned, so this past weekend, to the shock of all, THEY REDUCED GREEN FEES BY $20!!

Now, they should have done that anyway, but since they are constantly bending over everyone that walks in to the golf shop, it was a nice touch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liquid said:

Northview Canal is like golfing in the Everglades. 3 lost balls in the fairway and 5 in the rough for our group. The greens were maybe running at a 6 at best, just horrible.

Matches our experience last weekend as well.  Pretty much a complete joke for what they charge.

Remember when Northview was a great facility? WTH happened?

18 minutes ago, The Beav said:

Matches our experience last weekend as well.  Pretty much a complete joke for what they charge.

Remember when Northview was a great facility? WTH happened?

I used to love playing Northview, haven’t been there for at least 5-6 years now. For an expensive round I much prefer Morgan Creek. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Hi Boys, how's the weather looking in Vancouver? Our long awaited trip begins April 19 then we go south to Bandon and back in BC around May 1. From my observation of the various websites it looks like cool temps and occasional rain. How are the courses emerging from winter? Still a bit soggy? Hopefully they harden up over the next month.

Played at Meadow Gardens this morning. The grounds crew were working really hard at getting the bunkers back in shape. 
Course has dried up a bit since Wednesday, but the dump of rain coming in over the next 24-36 hours will probably set us back again. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

Just now, The Beav said:

Morgan was great this morning.  White shoes were still bright white after the round & drives were getting bounce and roll a little.  Greens were a little bumpy, but fast enough.  Probably another week needed to fully recover from aeration.

I’m hoping to get out there later this month one weekday morning. Hopefully it’s in decent shape by then. 

2 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Hi Boys, how's the weather looking in Vancouver? Our long awaited trip begins April 19 then we go south to Bandon and back in BC around May 1. From my observation of the various websites it looks like cool temps and occasional rain. How are the courses emerging from winter? Still a bit soggy? Hopefully they harden up over the next month.

For course conditions, I can only suggest you take the time to read through the past couple of more recent pages and check in on the posts frequently. Rain is part of Vancouver, certainly through the Spring.  Today's post about white shoes staying white today at Morgan Creek ( a more premium course not far from the border) was not the more common experience for right now.  Certainly not mine. And some more rain is on the way starting tonight for the next couple.

Aeration is in full swing now so that may help.

If you are planning on playing here, don't wait too long before picking a course (s) and booking. Getting tee-times is still at a premium. Hopefully (we all hope) the courses will be fairly dry by your return visit the beginning of May.

Edited by myspinonit

You all are about to get dumped on from the looks of it.. I'm finally going to get out and play this week after a long winter in the snow..my usual Thursday night mens crew is getting together.. should be fun as there is always plenty of trash talk going on lol 

Supposed to play tower next weekend as well 

I'm ready for warmer weather and no rain as I have a massive amount of pre paid golf to get through this year..

Things seem like they are going to be crazy busy again this year..most weekend morning tee times are booked at talking rock into late may 

1 hour ago, The Beav said:

Morgan was great this morning.  White shoes were still bright white after the round & drives were getting bounce and roll a little.  Greens were a little bumpy, but fast enough.  Probably another week needed to fully recover from aeration.

It was a major improvement over last week, but still a couple weeks to go for the greens I'd say. Especially with the lousy weather expected.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

For course conditions, I can only suggest you take the time to read through the past couple of more recent pages and check in on the posts frequently. Rain is part of Vancouver, certainly through the Spring.  Today's post about white shoes staying white today at Morgan Creek ( a more premium course not far from the border) was not the more common experience for right now.  Certainly not mine. And some more rain is on the way starting tonight for the next couple.

Aeration is in full swing now so that may help.

If you are planning on playing here, don't wait too long before picking a course (s) and booking. Getting tee-times is still at a premium. Hopefully (we all hope) the courses will be fairly dry by your return visit the beginning of May.

Considering the black pants I wore at Canal pretty much need to be thrown away, I was surprised the white shoes survived haha.

59 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

Looking to head down that way mid next month.. I would like

To play Morgan and Westwood.. how far out do I need to book to get on as a single 

It’s really difficult to get on as a single, except for day of, at least at Morgan Creek. 

• Like 1