2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best Budget balls that perform

AZstu324

I know this topic has been posted before but it's always good to renew stuff like this. The topics talking about the latest and most expensive equipment are nice and all.. but lets face it.. many of us just won't ever be playing the "new release".. at least for a good 2-3 seasons and by then it's just a used club. I still can't afford to play an M1 or Epic.. and they're over 2 years old.

Golf balls however have been a tricky bit.. Nothing beats the feel of a ProV1 or TP5X. Usually good ProV's used are still quite expensive and the less expensive ones have very little life left and the covers are all worn. I've had mixed results with many of the "budget balls" out there. While some have good feel, I find I'm losing distance because of the lower compression (108 driver speed) and they just don't perform well on approach or chipping... well that is until recently.. I gave the Top-Flite (yes you read correctly) Gamer and Gamer Tour a whirl and think they may be my new permanent "Gamer" as the ball suggests. I picked up 2 dozen at Dick's for $15 (why the hell not?). I kid you not, they're a good 10-15 yds longer carry off the tee over anything and spin a little less on drives. They are an extra club longer in my irons. They perform nicely around the green and feel surprisingly good for all types of shots and roll true with a slightly muted click on putts (which I like). On chips I'm more comfortable landing closer to the hole because the ball checks up much harder and the roll-out is minimized. Top Flite is owned by Dick's so it's not likely that they'll go away and there will probably be a 2 for 1 sale whenever I'm looking to get more.

Looking for other performers for less than $20/box. Please share.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you said sub $20 but you can't beat Snell for price and performance! I play the MTB ball but have heard good things about get sum ball and they are right around the $20 mark.

Driver-Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3Wood -Cobra F8 Irons-Srixon ZX7 3-PW Wedges-Haywood Putter-Seemore M1W Ball-Snell MTBX, Vice Pro Plus

Bot 6 dz Tm tour preferreds for less than $20/dz shipped. It’s a 4 piece, nice ball markings for easy setup.

Ebay. Two months ago. Prolly less now..

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I'd go ahead and buy Vice Pro's in bulk, you get really big discounts in bulk and you'll have enough to last a long time.

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

TopFlite D2+ Feel. Definitely an underrated ball. Plenty of spin all around.

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

TopFlite D2+ Feel. Definitely an underrated ball. Plenty of spin all around.

That's good news, i found 2 15 packs hiding in the closet last week. Never hit one, glad there decent.

Played a best ball with a fellow who only hits Top-Flites, the rock hard ones. This guy just kills the ball and has amazing touch. I was shocked when he said that. He's having a hard time finding the old hard ones.

What ever works.

Callaway Chrome soft feel nice, might have to get more of those.

I have a similar approach. I buy cheap balls like the Gamer and such after I use 2 B330rx during a round. If my game is off or if I lose one late in the round, out come the cheapos. Nothing wrong with a cheaper ball and in my opinion it gives me a mental check mark saying this ball won't do this or that. Sometimes it saves my round as well.

Buy mint pro v1x on eBay or Kirkland when they are available. I have 5 dozen Kirkland and they are my favorite. Mint used balls are fine and if you wait for 15 off 75 eBay coupon then you can find 4 dozen prov1x in mint for $60-75 with coupon code.

Ping Hoofer bag
Ping I20 10.5 Driver with Projext X Black 6.0 shaft
Callaway Mini 1.5 14* Speeder Stiff
Ping G5 5 wood with Pro Launch Blue stiff shaft
Adams V4 3 Hybrid
Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-S - DG PRO stiff
58 Callaway Mack Daddy 3
Scotty Cameron California Monterey putter 34"
Pro V1x

I usually buy whatever urethane's they're closing out, this year I was able to find an old favorite, Wilson FG Tour on sale for 21 a dozen, also bought some Wilson Duo Softs for 13 dz. No shortage of good ball deals out there.

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

I bought the sample pack from Cut golf. I love my Z-Stars, but Cut's offerings (the 4 piece urethane Blue and the 3 piece urethane Grey) were pretty darn impressive for $19.95 a dozen.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 10* 

TaylorMade Qi10 4W & 7W

Ping G430 4H

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 6-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Swag Savage Too

Titleist Pro V1 yellow 

I love my Kirklands...still have 4.5 dozen.

When those run out, assuming Costco doesn't straighten out their supply issues, I'll be giving Cut Golf's urethane balls a look. I won a dozen of them in a Giveaway thread and am looking forward to taking them out for a spin. If for some reason we don't get along well, I'll take a glance at Vice, Snell, or one of the bigger brand's cheaper urethane offerings (Wilson or Srixon, most likely).

At GG today I saw top flight has a new gamer urethane, 19.95 a dz. I didn't get any cuz I just got some '14 b330s for $20 a dz.

yeah I've got a sleeve of these as well. I'll be taking them to the launch monitor to see how they compare to the Gamer and Gamer Tour. I'm almost wondering if these are just a re-naming of the Gamer Tour.. being as how nobody on the tour would ever actually use Top Flite balls.. It might make more sense to market them as what they are rather than what they're not.. :)

I bought the sample pack from Cut golf. I love my Z-Stars, but Cut's offerings (the 4 piece urethane Blue and the 3 piece urethane Grey) were pretty darn impressive for $19.95 a dozen.

I just got done reading the article on these guys.. They definitely look like like they're worth trying out. I know the Top Flite Gamer Tour/Urethane goes for around $20.. right now they're buy one get one free at Dick's so that's cheaper.. but also relying on a sale.. and they're 3 piece and not 4 piece.

I just got done reading the article on these guys.. They definitely look like like they're worth trying out. I know the Top Flite Gamer Tour/Urethane goes for around $20.. right now they're buy one get one free at Dick's so that's cheaper.. but also relying on a sale.. and they're 3 piece and not 4 piece.

Really curious to hear your thoughts on the TF's

In case you missed my intro to the topic :)

"I gave the Top-Flite (yes you read correctly) Gamer and Gamer Tour a whirl and think they may be my new permanent "Gamer" as the ball suggests. I picked up 2 dozen at Dick's for $15 (why the hell not?). I kid you not, they're a good 10-15 yds longer carry off the tee over anything and spin a little less on drives. They are an extra club longer in my irons. They perform nicely around the green and feel surprisingly good for all types of shots and roll true with a slightly muted click on putts (which I like). On chips I'm more comfortable landing closer to the hole because the ball checks up much harder and the roll-out is minimized. Top Flite is owned by Dick's so it's not likely that they'll go away and there will probably be a 2 for 1 sale whenever I'm looking to get more."

In case you missed my intro to the topic :)

"I gave the Top-Flite (yes you read correctly) Gamer and Gamer Tour a whirl and think they may be my new permanent "Gamer" as the ball suggests. I picked up 2 dozen at Dick's for $15 (why the hell not?). I kid you not, they're a good 10-15 yds longer carry off the tee over anything and spin a little less on drives. They are an extra club longer in my irons. They perform nicely around the green and feel surprisingly good for all types of shots and roll true with a slightly muted click on putts (which I like). On chips I'm more comfortable landing closer to the hole because the ball checks up much harder and the roll-out is minimized. Top Flite is owned by Dick's so it's not likely that they'll go away and there will probably be a 2 for 1 sale whenever I'm looking to get more."

>.< reading is hard - still suffering from Snow Blindness I guess! My bad!

These are great. Get a trial pack of the Cut Blue and Cut Grey for $12.50 with free shipping. Make a decision based upon the one you like, then $19.95 per dozen.

Top Flite is owned by Dick's so it's not likely that they'll go away and there will probably be a 2 for 1 sale whenever I'm looking to get more."

Dicks is having a one day Flash sale today on Top Flites (as well as some other balls). For Top Fliter, they have the Gamer (2 for $15) Gamer Tour (2 for $20) and Gamer Soft (2 for $15)

They had one of these sales last week. I bought 10 dozen of both the Tour and Softs. Last week, there was a 6 box limit on each type of ball. But that was a per order limit, not a per customer limit. So, I was able to place 2 orders of 6 dozen and 4 dozen of each.

BTW - The Gamer Tour is being discontinued and replaced by Gamer Urethane. Common thought is that it's the same ball with a new name.

Top Flite Gamer, I have a dozen and just bypass them every time I’m adding balls to my bag for a round. I’m going to have to throw in a sleeve on my next round, as soon as it hits 65°+ it’s to cold the last two weeks here in upstate SC or I’m getting to old to deal with it being below 70°. Thanks for the thread AZstu

Top Flite is owned by Dick's so it's not likely that they'll go away and there will probably be a 2 for 1 sale whenever I'm looking to get more."

Dicks is having a one day Flash sale today on Top Flites (as well as some other balls). For Top Fliter, they have the Gamer (2 for $15) Gamer Tour (2 for $20) and Gamer Soft (2 for $15)

They had one of these sales last week. I bought 10 dozen of both the Tour and Softs. Last week, there was a 6 box limit on each type of ball. But that was a per order limit, not a per customer limit. So, I was able to place 2 orders of 6 dozen and 4 dozen of each.

BTW - The Gamer Tour is being discontinued and replaced by Gamer Urethane. Common thought is that it's the same ball with a new name.

Great I just bought 4 dozen Gamer Tours and I doubt I'm done. Better value than the KSig at that price point

Uh oh another hoarding opportunity.

OP: did you prefer the GAMER or GAMER TOUR off the tee? My SS is much slower (~90) and I get decent diatance from the GAMER (for me)

GAMER is one of my favs with enough wedge spin. The D2 series is decent but wedges and short irons sometimes carry too far due to higher launch and less spin.

I like the (modern) TF XL when playing goat tracks and soggy courses. I seem to putt well with the XL and D2 distance.

These are great. Get a trial pack of the Cut Blue and Cut Grey for $12.50 with free shipping. Make a decision based upon the one you like, then $19.95 per dozen.

I did the cut grey/white trial packs but sadly after 2 nor'easter's this current one knocking my power (no idea what that will be back) out while dumping 14 inches of snow with another storm on the way hasn't be delayed longer in getting any golf in to try them out

In to read recommendations

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1