2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The New Master's Womens Amateur Championship

> @BiggErn said:

> > @CasualLie said:

> > I too was fooled into thinking this was a big deal event hosted at Augusta. I just found out today it is two rounds at the muni to make the cut off top 30 to compete at Augusta after a practice round in the middle of a tournament???!!! Wow those old white guys at Augusta are so magnanimous. What an embarrassment. Sure, I'll go back to my rock; it's the one next to Hootie's.

>

> All the women could just go play the ANA or somewhere else.

If you substitute "ANA" with "kitchen", then it becomes something my mom would hear in her days.

It is funny that ANGC is revered by some as some hallowed institute that whenever they throw us a bone, we should all be on our knees and thank our lucky star.

> @4waymiss said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @CasualLie said:

> > > I too was fooled into thinking this was a big deal event hosted at Augusta. I just found out today it is two rounds at the muni to make the cut off top 30 to compete at Augusta after a practice round in the middle of a tournament???!!! Wow those old white guys at Augusta are so magnanimous. What an embarrassment. Sure, I'll go back to my rock; it's the one next to Hootie's.

> >

> > All the women could just go play the ANA or somewhere else.

>

> If you substitute "ANA" with "kitchen", then it becomes something my mom would hear in her days.

>

> It is funny that ANGC is revered by some as some hallowed institute that whenever they throw us a bone, we should all be on our knees and thank our lucky star.

Not at all. If someone doesn’t like the “bone” thrown they are free to do something else. Women are free to play on the PGA tour and qualify for the masters just like the men where they will be judged solely on their merit. I don’t think there will be any guys playing this weekend at Augusta or at the ANA.

> @BrianMcG said:

> No matter what Augusta does, there's going to be people to complain about it.

No kidding.

The members are already giving up a week to host The Masters. Now they give up another 2 days for this new event and it's a problem?

They aren't the USGA - a public body that exists to promote the game and maintain the Rules. They're a private club with a very special course and a unique history in the game. They really can do whatever they want, and they've chosen to share their course and promote women's and amateur golf.

• Like 1

> @BrianMcG said:

> No matter what Augusta does, there's going to be people to complain about it.

Some people, i.e the usual suspects on this board, just can't help themselves. It's really humorous reading some of those comments when there are 70 young ladies having the time of the life and making a special memory for themselves. But yea, let's crap all over that and the organization that made it happen.

• Like 2

> @Shilgy said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @Tasals said:

> > > > @Shilgy said:

> > > > > @rushfan96 said:

> > > > > > @pollo said:

> > > > > > It's unfortunate for the women who got their invite to the tournament and excited to play competitively at ANGC only to find out it's only the final round, and only if you make the cut, so not even all the invitee's will play there. Especially since, you know, it's called the "AUGUSTA NATIONAL Women's Amateur".

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > The whole field gets to play Augusta the day before the final round

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > They just posted that again on GC-all 72 players get to play the practice round at AN.> @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > @BrianMcG said:

> > > > > > > @CCTxGolf said:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > > > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > > > > Like the drive, chip and putt contest, this event will do more to grow the game than anything the USGA has ever done.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > They don't give a toss about growing the game anymore than the USGA.

> > > > > > > > Scheduling their event opposite the LPGA's first big event of the year on US soil doesn't help grow anything.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Wait?!? ANGC and The Masters scheduled their event opposite the ANA?!? Lol That’s some funny ****.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > That only effects maybe 4 players on whether they play in the ANA or the ANWA.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Yeah, but you're talking about the #2, #3, #4, and #11 ranked amateurs in the world.

> > > >

> > > > It is, in my opinion, a bad optic for AN. As in "who cares if there is a women's major"? We are the home of the Masters and don't care about women's golf outside our event.

> > >

> > > I think its one of the things that they got stuck in. They cant run it the week after The Masters, I feel the membership would throw a fit. I base that on the courses get absolutely packed after a PGA event. Im sure a lot of the members are bringing friends, business partners and whathave you out to try tournament conditions. I hate Glen Abbey but me and some buddies (try to) play it from as far back as the course has open after every Canadian Open. Its always a **** shoot, crowded, and takes a lot longer to play, but its busy and people love trying their hand at it. I dont think Augusta members would be that different. Glen Abbey usually only keeps it set up in tournament conditions until friday, and saturday is back to normal or as close to normal conditions as possible.

> > >

> > > So the ladies get stuck playing the week end before the masters.

> >

> > I seriously doubt that any of the ladies think they "got stuck".

>

> For an aspiring woman pro I would think playing in a LPGA major would be a bigger deal than a round at AN.

I've seen the names of the girls who passed up a chance to play at Augusta and chose the ANA instead. Don't blame one bit. What I haven't seen is how many passed up a chance to play at the ANA and are playing Augusta instead. Probably about the same number?

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @BrianMcG said:

> > No matter what Augusta does, there's going to be people to complain about it.

>

> Some people, i.e the usual suspects on this board, just can't help themselves. It's really humorous reading some of those comments when there are 70 young ladies having the time of the life and making a special memory for themselves. But yea, let's **** all over that and the organization that made it happen.

Yeah. I bet the winner on Saturday as she's holding up her arms in triumph on 18 as a crowd of 30,000 cheers is going to be really disappointed. She will probably go on Twitter to voice her displeasure at not being able to play all 3 rounds at ANGC.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Lots of jealousy and hate from some on here.(kitchen,bone,etc) All things taken into account,AN membership,LPGA major,women's amateur ,seasonal and scheduling logistics for all involved,this year is a good start.My guess is that the loudest complainers now didn't even take the time to fully educate themselves last year when the announcement was made regarding the women's amateur.Going forward I am sure improvements will be made in every area that is reasonable.

Anyone else besides me think that it is somewhat"poetic justice" that Lucy Li in the end did not get to compete in the first women's amateur at Augusta National.

> @BrianMcG said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @BrianMcG said:

> > > No matter what Augusta does, there's going to be people to complain about it.

> >

> > Some people, i.e the usual suspects on this board, just can't help themselves. It's really humorous reading some of those comments when there are 70 young ladies having the time of the life and making a special memory for themselves. But yea, let's **** all over that and the organization that made it happen.

>

>

>

> Yeah. I bet the winner on Saturday as she's holding up her arms in triumph on 18 as a crowd of 30,000 cheers is going to be really disappointed. She will probably go on Twitter to voice her displeasure at not being able to play all 3 rounds at ANGC.

I am sure the winner and the others who get to play on Saturday will be having a ball. But I have a feeling those girls who miss the cut would be slightly disappointed not to have played a tournament round at AN.

You know some of these girls have actually _played_ AN, from their college team invitation , etc. Something is missing when you are playing in "Augusta National Women's Amateur" and not get to actually compete in AN.

• Like 2

> @4waymiss said:

> > @BrianMcG said:

> > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > > @BrianMcG said:

> > > > No matter what Augusta does, there's going to be people to complain about it.

> > >

> > > Some people, i.e the usual suspects on this board, just can't help themselves. It's really humorous reading some of those comments when there are 70 young ladies having the time of the life and making a special memory for themselves. But yea, let's **** all over that and the organization that made it happen.

> >

> >

> >

> > Yeah. I bet the winner on Saturday as she's holding up her arms in triumph on 18 as a crowd of 30,000 cheers is going to be really disappointed. She will probably go on Twitter to voice her displeasure at not being able to play all 3 rounds at ANGC.

>

> I am sure the winner and the others who get to play on Saturday will be having a ball. But I have a feeling those girls who miss the cut would be slightly disappointed not to have played a tournament round at AN.

>

> You know some of these girls have actually _played_ AN, from their college team invitation , etc. Something is missing when you are playing in "Augusta National Women's Amateur" and not get to actually compete in AN.

They need to make more birdies next time.

Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

> @4waymiss said:

> There is a 11 players for 10 spots playoff going on to determine the final 30. Because god forbid , what if 31 players were to play at AN. The humanity.

> st

> The last time I saw a playoff of this size was the Q school. And they were playing for their livelihoods.

This time their playing for more than their livelihood.They are playing for the privelige to tee it up in the historic 1st women's competition at the hallowed grounds of Augusta National Golf Club.

I am positive that all of these young ladies and the ladies that missed their cards at Q school know where their next meal is coming from.This play-off today is a real 1st world problem.Oh the humanities!

What if it were 20 or 30 tied for the 10 spots.Better yet let's just let every woman or those that think they are a woman just show up tomorrow and Saturday and play some golf at Augusta National.

> @4waymiss said:

> There is a 11 players for 10 spots playoff going on to determine the final 30. Because god forbid , what if 31 players were to play at AN. The humanity.

>

> The last time I saw a playoff of this size was the Q school. And they were playing for their livelihoods.

Right on cue with the very predictable criticism.

• Like 1

> @Enduro59 said:

> > @4waymiss said:

> > There is a 11 players for 10 spots playoff going on to determine the final 30. Because god forbid , what if 31 players were to play at AN. The humanity.

> > st

> > The last time I saw a playoff of this size was the Q school. And they were playing for their livelihoods.

>

> This time their playing for more than their livelihood.They are playing for the privelige to tee it up in the historic 1st women's competition at the hallowed grounds of Augusta National Golf Club.

> I am positive that all of these young ladies and the ladies that missed their cards at Q school know where their next meal is coming from.This play-off today is a real 1st world problem.Oh the humanities!

> What if it were 20 or 30 tied for the 10 spots.Better yet let's just let every woman or those that think they are a woman just show up tomorrow and Saturday and play some golf at Augusta National.

All 72 are playing AN tomorrow. So they do have room on Saturday I would think.

My issue is simple. Some say they are promoting women's golf with this event. But why the week of a women's major? They couldn't find two days in their lives to have this event a different week?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @4waymiss said:

> > There is a 11 players for 10 spots playoff going on to determine the final 30. Because god forbid , what if 31 players were to play at AN. The humanity.

> >

> > The last time I saw a playoff of this size was the Q school. And they were playing for their livelihoods.

>

> Right on cue with the very predictable criticism.

Being a SJW is hard work.

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @4waymiss said:

> > > There is a 11 players for 10 spots playoff going on to determine the final 30. Because god forbid , what if 31 players were to play at AN. The humanity.

> > > st

> > > The last time I saw a playoff of this size was the Q school. And they were playing for their livelihoods.

> >

> > This time their playing for more than their livelihood.They are playing for the privelige to tee it up in the historic 1st women's competition at the hallowed grounds of Augusta National Golf Club.

> > I am positive that all of these young ladies and the ladies that missed their cards at Q school know where their next meal is coming from.This play-off today is a real 1st world problem.Oh the humanities!

> > What if it were 20 or 30 tied for the 10 spots.Better yet let's just let every woman or those that think they are a woman just show up tomorrow and Saturday and play some golf at Augusta National.

>

> All 72 are playing AN tomorrow. So they do have room on Saturday I would think.

>

> My issue is simple. Some say they are promoting women's golf with this event. But why the week of a women's major? They couldn't find two days in their lives to have this event a different week?

They’re promoting women’s golf by also promoting the masters. Having it right before the tournament does both. Also don’t forget the place is closed for most of the competitive golf season.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @4waymiss said:

> > > There is a 11 players for 10 spots playoff going on to determine the final 30. Because god forbid , what if 31 players were to play at AN. The humanity.

> > > st

> > > The last time I saw a playoff of this size was the Q school. And they were playing for their livelihoods.

> >

> > This time their playing for more than their livelihood.They are playing for the privelige to tee it up in the historic 1st women's competition at the hallowed grounds of Augusta National Golf Club.

> > I am positive that all of these young ladies and the ladies that missed their cards at Q school know where their next meal is coming from.This play-off today is a real 1st world problem.Oh the humanities!

> > What if it were 20 or 30 tied for the 10 spots.Better yet let's just let every woman or those that think they are a woman just show up tomorrow and Saturday and play some golf at Augusta National.

>

> All 72 are playing AN tomorrow. So they do have room on Saturday I would think.

>

> My issue is simple. Some say they are promoting women's golf with this event. But why the week of a women's major? They couldn't find two days in their lives to have this event a different week?

Yawn

> @4waymiss said:

>

There was an 11 for 3 playoff for a spot in the US Open in Memphis last year.

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @4waymiss said:

> > > st

> >

>

>

What are the odds that on Saturday they will allow NBC to mention that the third round of the ANA Inspiration is coming up on Golf Channel? Snowballs chance in H--l or less?

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > > @Enduro59 said:

> > > > @4waymiss said:

> > > > There is a 11 players for 10 spots playoff going on to determine the final 30. Because god forbid , what if 31 players were to play at AN. The humanity.

> > > > st

> > > > The last time I saw a playoff of this size was the Q school. And they were playing for their livelihoods.

> > >

> > > This time their playing for more than their livelihood.They are playing for the privelige to tee it up in the historic 1st women's competition at the hallowed grounds of Augusta National Golf Club.

> > > I am positive that all of these young ladies and the ladies that missed their cards at Q school know where their next meal is coming from.This play-off today is a real 1st world problem.Oh the humanities!

> > > What if it were 20 or 30 tied for the 10 spots.Better yet let's just let every woman or those that think they are a woman just show up tomorrow and Saturday and play some golf at Augusta National.

> >

> > All 72 are playing AN tomorrow. So they do have room on Saturday I would think.

> >

> > My issue is simple. Some say they are promoting women's golf with this event. But why the week of a women's major? They couldn't find two days in their lives to have this event a different week?

>

>

> What are the odds that on Saturday they will allow NBC to mention that the third round of the ANA Inspiration is coming up on Golf Channel? Snowballs chance in H--l or less?

Totally grasping for straws looking to find something to criticize the Masters/Augusta for.

• Like 1

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > @Shilgy said:

> > > > @Enduro59 said:

> > > > > @4waymiss said:

> > > > > There is a 11 players for 10 spots playoff going on to determine the final 30. Because god forbid , what if 31 players were to play at AN. The humanity.

> > > > > st

> > > > > The last time I saw a playoff of this size was the Q school. And they were playing for their livelihoods.

> > > >

> > > > This time their playing for more than their livelihood.They are playing for the privelige to tee it up in the historic 1st women's competition at the hallowed grounds of Augusta National Golf Club.

> > > > I am positive that all of these young ladies and the ladies that missed their cards at Q school know where their next meal is coming from.This play-off today is a real 1st world problem.Oh the humanities!

> > > > What if it were 20 or 30 tied for the 10 spots.Better yet let's just let every woman or those that think they are a woman just show up tomorrow and Saturday and play some golf at Augusta National.

> > >

> > > All 72 are playing AN tomorrow. So they do have room on Saturday I would think.

> > >

> > > My issue is simple. Some say they are promoting women's golf with this event. But why the week of a women's major? They couldn't find two days in their lives to have this event a different week?

> >

> >

> > What are the odds that on Saturday they will allow NBC to mention that the third round of the ANA Inspiration is coming up on Golf Channel? Snowballs chance in H--l or less?

>

> Totally grasping for straws looking to find something to criticize the Masters/Augusta for.

I have to grasp straws, I'm going to be called an "Augusta Apologist" for the next ten days.

> @BrianMcG said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @4waymiss said:

> > >

> >

> > Right on cue with the very predictable criticism.

>

> Being a SJW is hard work.

So is being an ANGC apologist. :)

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @4waymiss said:

> > > st

> >

>

>

I can see their reasons there. The infrastructure , eg , grandstands , press rooms , are all in place. And it serves as a nice little "build up" for the main event next week.

I can see room for the two events to co-exist in the long run. Some top AMs will play the ANA and some will play the Augusta. The first year will no doubt attract a lot of eyeballs , but it will settle into its own place down the road.

> @4waymiss said:

> > @BrianMcG said:

> > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > > @4waymiss said:

> > > > There is a 11 players for 10 spots playoff going on to determine the final 30. Because god forbid , what if 31 players were to play at AN. The humanity.

> > > >

> > > > The last time I saw a playoff of this size was the Q school. And they were playing for their livelihoods.

> > >

> > > Right on cue with the very predictable criticism.

> >

> > Being a SJW is hard work.

>

> So is being an ANGC apologist. :)

>

![](https://memesbams.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/cool-bazinga-jokes.jpg "")

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > > @Enduro59 said:

> > > > @4waymiss said:

> > > > st

> > >

> > > This time their playing for more than their livelihood.They are playing for the privelige to tee it up in the historic 1st women's competition at the hallowed grounds of Augusta National Golf Club.

> > > I am positive that all of these young ladies and the ladies that missed their cards at Q school know where their next meal is coming from.This play-off today is a real 1st world problem.Oh the humanities!

> > > What if it were 20 or 30 tied for the 10 spots.Better yet let's just let every woman or those that think they are a woman just show up tomorrow and Saturday and play some golf at Augusta National.

> >

> > All 72 are playing AN tomorrow. So they do have room on Saturday I would think.

> >

> > My issue is simple. Some say they are promoting women's golf with this event. But why the week of a women's major? They couldn't find two days in their lives to have this event a different week?

>

>

> What are the odds that on Saturday they will allow NBC to mention that the third round of the ANA Inspiration is coming up on Golf Channel? Snowballs chance in H--l or less?

Since they’re both owned by Comcast I expect it will be mentioned.

> @4waymiss said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > > @Enduro59 said:

> > > > @4waymiss said:

> > > > st

> > >

> >

> >

>

> I can see their reasons there. The infrastructure , eg , grandstands , press rooms , are all in place. And it serves as a nice little "build up" for the main event next week.

>

> I can see room for the two events to co-exist in the long run. Some top AMs will play the ANA and some will play the Augusta. The first year will no doubt attract a lot of eyeballs , but it will settle into its own place down the road.

>

We'll see if they need the grandstands for this event. If so folks will just be going to walk the course and get Masters merchandise, not for the event. The crowd today was very very sparse. But I do agree with you on future years of this. McG was correct it will likely be a yawn compared to the ANA.

At least I think that's what he was saying lol. ?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @4waymiss said:

> > > st

> >

>

>

I find it difficult to consider an event a major when there’s a different sponsor slapped in the title every year and it’s played on a desert resort course. Guess it’s what they have to do to keep secondary tours afloat.