2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The New Master's Womens Amateur Championship

I DVR’d this and just watched it. Total fun. Jennifer was great down the stretch and I was surprised she beat Fassi who looked so good. But then... wow... in Butler Cabin when this kid takes a bout having a migraine and not being able to see. Ive never had a migraine but I’ve seen people having one and the fact she played thru it (and couldn’t see one th left side of her vision for pete’s sake) - that is just mind-blowing, the stuff legends are made of.

Great launch of the event and I hope a bunch of 10’year old girls pick up golf as a result.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @tatertot said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > > Who said no one would break 76?

> > > > >

> > > > > Sierra Brooks has a nice Nike contract waiting for her when she turns pro.

> > > >

> > > > That was me. Obviously, I was wrong.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I've found that most average male recreational players underestimate the abilities and talents of these girls. They've got all the shots and many, like Kupcho and Fassi, can really move it out there. Some of the short game shots I saw executed out there were very impressive.

> >

> > That was one of the most impressive things for me to see. In person, these ladies can move a ball. Longer than the vast majority of my regulars/members back at my course. Some of these ladies are very petite humans, and when watching them blast it from the tee, it's quite shocking in person.

>

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > >

> > > > > Sierra Brooks has a nice Nike contract waiting for her when she turns pro.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I've found that most average male recreational players underestimate the abilities and talents of these girls. They've got all the shots and many, like Kupcho and Fassi, can really move it out there. Some of the short game shots I saw executed out there were very impressive.

> >

> > That was one of the most impressive things for me to see. In person, these ladies can move a ball. Longer than the vast majority of my regulars/members back at my course. Some of these ladies are very petite humans, and when watching them blast it from the tee, it's quite shocking in person.

>

> In person, how did the green speeds compare to normal tournament conditions?

>

>

Greens speeds really didn’t look out of line with those seen during the men’s event.

> @Potatohead said:

> I almost never watch women’s golf, but I tuned in today and really, I was seriously impressed. I think Koch summed it up best after Kupcho’s second into thirteen, just a simple ‘whoa.’

Yes. The hybrid into 13 was fantastic and especially how much height and spin she must have had on it. What really got me however was her 2nd into 15 around the trees. With her opponent not able to go for it in 2 it almost seemed like unnecessary heroism. Hats off to her!

> @tatertot said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

> In person, how did the green speeds compare to normal tournament conditions?

>

>

FWIW, I was told the green speeds were only a touch slower than we usually see for the Masters. But I was also told that the fairways and greens were both considerably softer and the pins were very accessible. Which makes sense. I think we all know ANGC could set up the course to embarrass a bunch of amateurs if they wanted to. Even world class amateurs like we saw yesterday. Clearly they knew how to set it up “fairly” and kudos to them for setting up a great event.

> @disco111 said:

> > @manku said:

> > I enjoyed watching, but for me it took much of the magic and mystery away from ANGC. It felt after a few holes like just another golf course. Just in better shape and with more history.

> > Which I guess it always was.

> >

>

> Have to agree with this assessment. I've always considered the Masters to be the un-official start to the golf season and anxiously awaited the first major of the year and looking at ANGC in all it's spring time glory. Now I've already viewed the course and for some inexplicable reason, for me the** sensuous part of the Masters is no longer a factor and now a big part of what the tournament means has been greatly diminished**.

That's a bit dramatic, no??

• Like 1

> @denvergolf said:

> > @disco111 said:

> > > @manku said:

> > > I enjoyed watching, but for me it took much of the magic and mystery away from ANGC. It felt after a few holes like just another golf course. Just in better shape and with more history.

> > > Which I guess it always was.

> > >

> >

> > Have to agree with this assessment. I've always considered the Masters to be the un-official start to the golf season and anxiously awaited the first major of the year and looking at ANGC in all it's spring time glory. Now I've already viewed the course and for some inexplicable reason, for me the** sensuous part of the Masters is no longer a factor and now a big part of what the tournament means has been greatly diminished**.

>

> That's a bit dramatic, no??

I’d say the grandiose nature of his comment aligns nicely with Augusta National. LOL

• Like 1

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

> > @tatertot said:

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > > > Who said no one would break 76?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Sierra Brooks has a nice Nike contract waiting for her when she turns pro.

> > > > >

> > > > > That was me. Obviously, I was wrong.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I've found that most average male recreational players underestimate the abilities and talents of these girls. They've got all the shots and many, like Kupcho and Fassi, can really move it out there. Some of the short game shots I saw executed out there were very impressive.

> > >

> > > That was one of the most impressive things for me to see. In person, these ladies can move a ball. Longer than the vast majority of my regulars/members back at my course. Some of these ladies are very petite humans, and when watching them blast it from the tee, it's quite shocking in person.

> >

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > > > Who said no one would break 76?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Sierra Brooks has a nice Nike contract waiting for her when she turns pro.

> > > > >

> > > > > That was me. Obviously, I was wrong.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I've found that most average male recreational players underestimate the abilities and talents of these girls. They've got all the shots and many, like Kupcho and Fassi, can really move it out there. Some of the short game shots I saw executed out there were very impressive.

> > >

> > > That was one of the most impressive things for me to see. In person, these ladies can move a ball. Longer than the vast majority of my regulars/members back at my course. Some of these ladies are very petite humans, and when watching them blast it from the tee, it's quite shocking in person.

> >

> > In person, how did the green speeds compare to normal tournament conditions?

> >

> >

>

> FWIW, I was told the green speeds were only a touch slower than we usually see for the Masters. But I was also told that the fairways and greens were both considerably softer and the pins were very accessible. Which makes sense. I think we all know ANGC could set up the course to embarrass a bunch of amateurs if they wanted to. Even world class amateurs like we saw yesterday. Clearly they knew how to set it up “fairly” and kudos to them for setting up a great event.

It was extremely fair. Scoring average of 74, low scores were out there, only one player above 80. If you gave these ladies the mens conditions and flags it would be a massacre and they would skip it. I think they could give them some traditional pins on a few holes with the conditions they had, but might be protecting those areas for The Masters. I was impressed, I think the course and set up did a great service in showing the next up and coming women in golf.

They were very fast not quite Masters fast but not much off and probably a little less firm

Mavrik  max 10.5 *  hzrdus t1100 2* adapter
Epic flash 3 wood Hzrdus yellow 85
3 iron PXG 0811 gen 2 0311X Mitsubishi 105 mmt 
4-PW Titleist t100s limited black px lz 
50 Taylormade hi toe px

54 Taylormade hi toe px
60 Taylormade hi toe px 

Toulon Austin garage 

> @"Golf Dino" said:

> >@18majors said:

> > > @denvergolf said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > Lost in the shuffle; Yuka Saso outplayed Maria Fassi -3 to -2 at Augusta National.

> > >

> > > And?

> >

> > Yuka Saso for the win in Japan!

> She is a Philippine player -- albeit of Japanese heritage! The other Yuka is Japanese. :)

>

The two Yuka's will duke it out again at Women's Amateur Asia Pacific in Japan April 25-28.

> @Steele47 said:

> > @Potatohead said:

> > I almost never watch women’s golf, but I tuned in today and really, I was seriously impressed. I think Koch summed it up best after Kupcho’s second into thirteen, just a simple ‘whoa.’

>

>

> Yes. The hybrid into 13 was fantastic and especially how much height and spin she must have had on it. What really got me however was her 2nd into 15 around the trees. With her opponent not able to go for it in 2 it almost seemed like unnecessary heroism. Hats off to her!

I was more referring to her last six holes. Five under in the last six to win is something special no matter who does it. If someone did that to win the Masters we’d be talking about it for eons.

• Like 1

I thought they did a great job setting up the course. Once again, the back nine at Augusta demonstrated why it's the best 9 finishing holes in tournament golf. You just can't sit on a lead and try to par your way in with the two par 5s that can give those chasing you an opportunity to catch up in a hurry. Excellent shots on 13 and 15 to determine a champion. And it was nice to get a competitive preview of ANGC.... Can't wait for Thursday.

• Like 1

FORE RIGHT!!!!

> @denvergolf said:

> > @disco111 said:

> > > @manku said:

> > > I enjoyed watching, but for me it took much of the magic and mystery away from ANGC. It felt after a few holes like just another golf course. Just in better shape and with more history.

> > > Which I guess it always was.

> > >

> >

> > Have to agree with this assessment. I've always considered the Masters to be the un-official start to the golf season and anxiously awaited the first major of the year and looking at ANGC in all it's spring time glory. Now I've already viewed the course and for some inexplicable reason, for me the** sensuous part of the Masters is no longer a factor and now a big part of what the tournament means has been greatly diminished**.

>

> That's a bit dramatic, no??

no, it's not a "bit dramatic" ... mostly just half-witted drivel ... it's one day of golf on a course we know more about than any other course ... seems to be the trampling of the fairways by fair maidens that has diminished it for him ...

> @BB28403 said:

> Why didn’t they play the whole thing at Augusta?

> Is property for sale at the other 2 day site ?

They didn't want to attract any more bears.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

> @tiderider said:

> > @denvergolf said:

> > > @disco111 said:

> > > > @manku said:

> > > > I enjoyed watching, but for me it took much of the magic and mystery away from ANGC. It felt after a few holes like just another golf course. Just in better shape and with more history.

> > > > Which I guess it always was.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Have to agree with this assessment. I've always considered the Masters to be the un-official start to the golf season and anxiously awaited the first major of the year and looking at ANGC in all it's spring time glory. Now I've already viewed the course and for some inexplicable reason, for me the** sensuous part of the Masters is no longer a factor and now a big part of what the tournament means has been greatly diminished**.

> >

> > That's a bit dramatic, no??

>

> no, it's not a "bit dramatic" ... mostly just half-witted drivel ... it's one day of golf on a course we know more about than any other course ... seems to be the trampling of the fairways by fair maidens that has diminished it for him ...

Just because he didn't love the event doesn't mean he's half-witted or a chauvinist .... He has an opinion that it took away some of the mystique. No reason to attack the guy and jump to conclusions because his view may not fall in line with yours.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @tiderider said:

> > @denvergolf said:

> > > @disco111 said:

> > > > @manku said:

> > > > I enjoyed watching, but for me it took much of the magic and mystery away from ANGC. It felt after a few holes like just another golf course. Just in better shape and with more history.

> > > > Which I guess it always was.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Have to agree with this assessment. I've always considered the Masters to be the un-official start to the golf season and anxiously awaited the first major of the year and looking at ANGC in all it's spring time glory. Now I've already viewed the course and for some inexplicable reason, for me the** sensuous part of the Masters is no longer a factor and now a big part of what the tournament means has been greatly diminished**.

> >

> > That's a bit dramatic, no??

>

> no, it's not a "bit dramatic" ... mostly just half-witted drivel ... it's one day of golf on a course we know more about than any other course ... seems to be the trampling of the fairways by fair maidens that has diminished it for him ...

Apparently that half-witted drivel was beyond reading comprehension for some.........Nothing was eluded to about who was playing.

> @Potatohead said:

> > @Steele47 said:

> > > @Potatohead said:

> > > I almost never watch women’s golf, but I tuned in today and really, I was seriously impressed. I think Koch summed it up best after Kupcho’s second into thirteen, just a simple ‘whoa.’

> >

> >

> > Yes. The hybrid into 13 was fantastic and especially how much height and spin she must have had on it. What really got me however was her 2nd into 15 around the trees. With her opponent not able to go for it in 2 it almost seemed like unnecessary heroism. Hats off to her!

>

> I was more referring to her last six holes. Five under in the last six to win is something special no matter who does it. If someone did that to win the Masters we’d be talking about it for eons.

uhh. ok.

> @Potatohead said:

> > @Steele47 said:

> > > @Potatohead said:

> > > I almost never watch women’s golf, but I tuned in today and really, I was seriously impressed. I think Koch summed it up best after Kupcho’s second into thirteen, just a simple ‘whoa.’

> >

> >

> > Yes. The hybrid into 13 was fantastic and especially how much height and spin she must have had on it. What really got me however was her 2nd into 15 around the trees. With her opponent not able to go for it in 2 it almost seemed like unnecessary heroism. Hats off to her!

>

> I was more referring to her last six holes. Five under in the last six to win is something special no matter who does it. If someone did that to win the Masters we’d be talking about it for eons.

I don't know about "eons', but certainly for at least 33 years :)

• Like 1

I just watched it today. Completely impressed. Kupcho hit a couple of amazing second shots on 13 &15. No matter whose playing, it’s always good to see the course. Although I thought it looked very soft, both of their approaches on #15 stopped quicker than I thought they would just long over the back.

One thing, I know many people really dislike Paige on Morning Drive, but she’s way better there than in the booth.

I like how ANGC did not use all of the traditional Sunday locations but mixed in enough of the "iconic" (that is a stretch but struggling to find the correct word) hole locations. 16 comes to mind.

I watched all of it. Maybe the announcers were told to keep the references to The Masters landing spots and hole locations to a minimum but I really wanted to see and hear how the ladies playing the course had to handle things differently due to less distance and less spin. I really wanted to use what they did as a barometer as to how your average male golfer of say a 4-10 handicap would handle Augusta. Maybe I missed it but I did not hear much as to how they hit longer clubs from the fairway, drives landing in different spots or playing the holes differently than The Masters strategy. I am glad they did not have to tee off from the back tees on 18. Just seeing that on tv makes me feel claustrophobic.

Apparently there is no way to bring the MacKenzie bunker on 10 back into play from the tee.

I personally hope the course dries out significantly between Saturday and Thursday. I want to see the roll out of drives and lay-ups be a factor in where a player's ball winds up. I want to see drives not perfectly placed bounding through the grass into the trees to create recovery opportunities.

> @chris975d said:

> > @ClintDagger said:

> > My uncle goes to the Masters every year and usually is on the grounds from Monday on. He’s there today and he texted me that this is the poorest condition he can remember seeing ANGC. I admit that in just 30 minutes of watching this I’ve noticed more blemishes than I can recall in the past. I wonder if they are jamming too much into these few weeks.

>

> Having just returned from the event, I will say that my assistant and I were noticing the same things. More..."blemishes" if you will than I've noticed before at ANGC. Mind you, these same things wouldn't even be noticed or out of place on virtually any other golf course on the planet, but in 25+ visits to the course, there were a few uncharacteristic things I could "nit pick" if so inclined. And I only really noticed them because ANGC is stupidly perfect virtually every year, and I look at stuff like that every time I'm on the property because I run a golf course myself, and am just in awe of the precision with which they are able to maintain the course.

>

> That being said, this event was a home run. The atmosphere was much different (for me) than The Masters, in a good way...not that The Masters is ever bad. I love The Masters more than any other event by far, but this was such a different (and great) way to experience the course itself. Seeing players with skill levels closer to mine (but still could beat my pants off, I'm sure) playing ANGC from more relatable tees, smaller field, and what seemed to be a much more manageable gallery. Being able to walk each hole, without the sometimes overwhelming crowd, enjoying the course in what felt like a much more intimate way than during the men's event.

>

> After today, I do believe I'd much rather attend this event each year to experience Augusta National, and then enjoy the men's event on TV. In talking to quite a few patrons on the property, I heard several say something similar.

>

>

Well said, Chris & I agree that the ANWA was probably my favorite experience that I've had there in a dozen or so visits. I haven't had a chance to watch the telecast yet (will get around to that this evening), but did notice a few of the blemishes you & Clint mentioned. Did you notice the newly-sodded circle between the new 5th tee and 4th green? Also, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how that whole new area around 5 tee looked & felt. To me, it just didn't quite fit with the aesthetics of everything else on the property... still my favorite hole there, though.