2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The New Master's Womens Amateur Championship

So only 30 players will qualify to play one round at Augusta on Saturday....so when will they have time to practice and figure out the course....there are a lot of nuances associated with Augusta...especially leading up to the conditions set up for the Masters one week later.

I assume most will want to employ a Masters caddie who understands the course...but what happens if the player doesn't like their caddie...some of these girls could be as young as 15 or 16. If they use a family member...they won't know anything about the course.

I assume they will play the member tees and the pins will be set in the easiest spots on the greens....but with minimal or no practice...this could get really ugly from a scoring perspective for the players and it will be televised.

And if indeed the 72 players are invited for a day to practice (cost will be a challenge for some of the poorer Am's) well prior, those conditions will be quite different vs. an Augusta course on the Saturday before the Masters is played.

So, if you have thought of all of this, don't you really think that the powers that be have thought of all this, as well as things you haven't thought of? I think they've got this.

I don’t know. Hosting a major championship probably pales in comparison to a women’s amateur event.

They just may be in way over their heads.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Good idea and I'm impressed with the efforts of ANGC to grow the game in recent times. Latin-American Amateur, Asian Amateur, Drive Chip & Putt and now this, its clear they see that they have an important role in the growth of the game and to their credit they are doing some very good things.

For the reasons above I think a women's pro event is unlikely not sure they see their role extending in the professional area of the sport.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Good idea and I'm impressed with the efforts of ANGC to grow the game in recent times. Latin-American Amateur, Asian Amateur, Drive Chip & Putt and now this, its clear they see that they have an important role in the growth of the game and to their credit they are doing some very good things.

For the reasons above I think a women's pro event is unlikely not sure they see their role extending in the professional area of the sport.

I agree with your comments and observations. Also, I would add that I think that ANGC are focusing on growing the amateur game as that is the foundation for spreading golf all over the world. Professional players do not happen overnight so to speak. They spend years learning the game and developing their skills as junior players and the better ones then move onto a collegiate or competitive amateur career. It is usually from that pool that the professional players emerge from. Of course, there has been the odd teenage phenom that has jumped right into a professional career, but its usually the outlier and not the norm.

fine print:

tournament will be played entirely on par 3 course

I heard the winner would be the honorary "Cart Girl" for the Masters. Wow what a treat.

Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I agree with your comments and observations. Also, I would add that I think that ANGC are focusing on growing the amateur game as that is the foundation for spreading golf all over the world. Professional players do not happen overnight so to speak. They spend years learning the game and developing their skills as junior players and the better ones then move onto a collegiate or competitive amateur career. It is usually from that pool that the professional players emerge from. Of course, there has been the odd teenage phenom that has jumped right into a professional career, but its usually the outlier and not the norm.

The devil is in the details. We need to hear more about it in the ensuing months.

The devil is in the details. We need to hear more about it in the ensuing months.

I don't believe there is anything being held back

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2018-augusta-national-womens-amateur-championship-to-debut-in-2019

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

• 6 months later...

Also was awarded 2 tickets to final round, and excited to attend.

The best way to tour Augusta National.

For sure, I've been several times. Seems to me that given the field-size that the number of tickets allocated would be a relatively small number, and hopefully a more laid-back/closer to the action setting.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I got my email telling me I wasn't selected. Why? Why? Why? Sad. Congrats to thos who will go.

slight chance that I'll have something come up the same weekend and won't be able to attend. if that happens I'll let you know. :)

So uhhh any chance something is coming up that weekend for you?? Can i get in line behind him?

Not sure when is the last time ANGC had been given the finger . But 4 of the top amateur girls just did, including the #2 and #3 .

https://golfweek.com/2019/02/04/four-top-amateurs-commit-to-ana-choosing-desert-over-augusta-national/

The ANGC, of course , did not consult the LPGA when they decided to stage this event in the same week as the ANA. Maybe they thought just the name "Augusta National" should be enough, or maybe they don't care if they get ALL of the top amateurs. But imagine the Masters without DJ , Rory and Phil.

Not sure when is the last time ANGC had been given the finger . But 4 of the top amateur girls just did, including the #2 and #3 .

https://golfweek.com/2019/02/04/four-top-amateurs-commit-to-ana-choosing-desert-over-augusta-national/

The ANGC, of course , did not consult the LPGA when they decided to stage this event in the same week as the ANA. Maybe they thought just the name "Augusta National" should be enough, or maybe they don't care if they get ALL of the top amateurs. But imagine the Masters without DJ , Rory and Phil.

Why do you think the LPGA wasn't contacted. I've read multiple articles to the contrary.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2018/04/04/augusta-national-to-host-womens-amateur-tournament/33540077/

I've watched many Masters without DJ, Rory, and Phil. I've enjoyed all of them.

https://golfweek.com...gusta-national/

Why do you think the LPGA wasn't contacted. I've read multiple articles to the contrary.

https://www.usatoday...ament/33540077/

If by "contacted" , you mean a courtesy call from Fred Riley, telling the LPGA we are doing this, you better figure the hell out what you want to do with your major ( and the amateur invites with it ) .

https://golfweek.com/2018/04/22/nichols-no-easy-answers-for-lpga-with-addition-of-augusta-national-womens-amateur/

LPGA commissioner Mike Whan found out about the new Augusta National Women’s Amateur not long before the rest of the world. That’s significant and disappointing in that it gave Whan less than a year to address a perplexing schedule conflict

I have enjoyed the Masters without DJ , Rory and Phil too, when they MC/injured/not qualified. It wouldn't be the same Masters if they actually turned down the invites. would it ?

https://golfweek.com...gusta-national/

https://www.usatoday...ament/33540077/

If by "contacted" , you mean a courtesy call from Fred Riley, telling the LPGA we are doing this, you better figure the hell out what you want to do with your major ( and the amateur invites with it ) .

https://golfweek.com...womens-amateur/

LPGA commissioner Mike Whan found out about the new Augusta National Women’s Amateur not long before the rest of the world. That’s significant and disappointing in that it gave Whan less than a year to address a perplexing schedule conflict

I have enjoyed the Masters without DJ , Rory and Phil too, when they MC/injured/not qualified. It wouldn't be the same Masters if they actually turned down the invites. would it ?

Well, its really only an issue for six players. But it does suck that they have to make that choice.

But by the quote, are they inferring that the LPGA would have changed the date of the ANA?

I see no reason why they’d change the date. Only the final round at Augusta is on TV and it’s scheduled to end one hour before the ANA comes on. It’s on NBC, so they’ll probably promote the ANA on Golf Channel.

It is not necessarily the broadcast window, but rather it's the media coverage and the attention of the public. It will no doubt attract tons of eyeballs in its first year. Many fans who think Lucy Li solves murder on TV are going to the event just to see Augusta National.

It will be interesting to see how the two event coexist in the long term. assuming they remain in the same week.

I think over time, it's a pretty clever construct to have a major women's amateur event play simultaneously with a major pro event. It's clunky in the first year, because a tiny fraction of players will have to make a choice. But going forward, they'll be able to plug the ANA as a field 'full' of past ANWA players/champions. Bring eyeballs to the game with the view of Augusta before the Masters...try to hold their attention for the LPGA.