What is your favorite part of Junior Golf?

My kid played in a tournament this weekend. I have thought about this on several occasions. Reflecting back to this weekend and the other occasions, my favorite part of Junior Golf is watching my son make new friends. My kid is not a socialite at all. He has his hand full of friends at school that he is a group of and that is about it. Nothing with them outside of school. His best friend comes over and they play golf about every weekend. My son plays on athletic teams and he will not socialize or hang out with the other kids. When he is playing golf, he has never met a stranger. My favorite part of golf is watching my son make new friends on the course and socialize with those he has been playing tournament golf with since he was 5. Being on the golf course is in his atmosphere and am really glad he can meet new friends playing this game. This weekend he played with a kid a year younger than him in a tournament. You would have thought they were long lost buddies. Watching them tee off and walk down the fairway together talking and chatting was awesome.

Β 

It isn't always about shooting a score or earning a scholarship.

I am GenX.Β  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I played a lot it was always that long drive, the emotion of sticking one close or making a long put and of course the scenery. But as a father, I get more enjoyment of watching my daughter have success which in turns gives her confidence in her daily life. The smile she has after. Yesterday she came about one foot from an ace, after she hit it she was running toward the green. Doesn't get better than that. Like HH I enjoy watching her talk to people she never meet as when she was younger she was a very shy shy kid. Very cool to see what golf has done for her in the short year since she started playing.

I 100%

My kid played in a tournament this weekend. I have thought about this on several occasions. Reflecting back to this weekend and the other occasions, my favorite part of Junior Golf is watching my son make new friends. My kid is not a socialite at all. He has his hand full of friends at school that he is a group of and that is about it. Nothing with them outside of school. His best friend comes over and they play golf about every weekend. My son plays on athletic teams and he will not socialize or hang out with the other kids. When he is playing golf, he has never met a stranger. My favorite part of golf is watching my son make new friends on the course and socialize with those he has been playing tournament golf with since he was 5. Being on the golf course is in his atmosphere and am really glad he can meet new friends playing this game. This weekend he played with a kid a year younger than him in a tournament. You would have thought they were long lost buddies. Watching them tee off and walk down the fairway together talking and chatting was awesome.

Β 

It isn't always about shooting a score or earning a scholarship.

Β 

Dead on. My son is only 7, but in the few years he has been playing tmnts I've always said this is one of the best parts. Like a lot of posters here, my son is lucky enough and has worked hard enough to play at some regional and national events. It's been really cool to see him make friends over the last 3 years from all over the country - literally. Seeing the buddies he has met at regional and national events is something he really looks forward to. I've said it before - I love staying at hotels when we play out of town events. Most of the times the pools are packed with golf kids, lots of fun. Love going back to course in evenings at the multi-day events and seeing the kids hanging out have putting contests and just fooling around in their flip flops - not grinding or stressing, just having a good time on their own without parents leaning over them giving orders about alignment or whatever. I've done some griping about the cost of USKG regionals and worlds , but these kinds of experiences and family vacation time have made it worth it. He plays every sport we can seem to fit in - golf, tennis, football, basketball, soccer, etc - made good friends in all but the golf does seem to be different. Like yours Heavy, he has a small group of friends, but isn't the most outgoing kid, but in the golf setting he has a heightened level of social confidence for sure. Last weekend he had his first USTA tennis tmnt - After match , the kids met at net to shake hands (normal in tennis) and my son removes his cap (doesn't seem to be normal in tennis) - Another parent walks over to compliment me on his etiquette and says that "he must be a golfer" Proud Dad! :taunt:

I have coached high school athletes for 10 years, watching them receive college scholarships, all-state awards, and find high levels of success in their chosen sports. However, nothing is better than getting to be a dad and being more of an advisor and teammate. My son has a swing coach and I don't dare interfere with how he has developed my son as a golfer. My job is to support and help this process along and enjoy sunny afternoons getting to know more and more about my little buddy.

It's been tough for my son to find a golfing buddy over the years, because he is pretty shy and doesn't just walk up to people. He has a close friend at school, but he doesn't play golf, just baseball. And there hasn't been any kids in his elementary school that play. When we go to events, usually kids already have their group of buddies by his age, 11, and he just doesn't reach out to them. I am hoping that next year when he gets to 6th grade and all the kids from area schools start being under a larger roof he will find a buddy that plays golf. I just keep telling myself that I didn't find the true friend that had the same interests as me until middle school when there was a larger group of kids to interact with. If nothing else, he will find his group hopefully in 7th grade when he plays on the HS team.

Β 

Don't get me wrong, he plays a lot with neighborhood kids and his best friend, but they play typical kid stuff. Biking, basketball, slime, Musically, nerf wars. Which is great, but really hope he finds a golf buddy to keep fueling his interest in the game. Mom and Dad can only drive it so much, kids need someone they can relate to better.

Β 

It's really nice to hear all these great things with Jr. golf. It's a great community to be a part of.

It's been tough for my son to find a golfing buddy over the years, because he is pretty shy and doesn't just walk up to people. He has a close friend at school, but he doesn't play golf, just baseball. And there hasn't been any kids in his elementary school that play. When we go to events, usually kids already have their group of buddies by his age, 11, and he just doesn't reach out to them. I am hoping that next year when he gets to 6th grade and all the kids from area schools start being under a larger roof he will find a buddy that plays golf. I just keep telling myself that I didn't find the true friend that had the same interests as me until middle school when there was a larger group of kids to interact with. If nothing else, he will find his group hopefully in 7th grade when he plays on the HS team.

Β 

Don't get me wrong, he plays a lot with neighborhood kids and his best friend, but they play typical kid stuff. Biking, basketball, slime, Musically, nerf wars. Which is great, but really hope he finds a golf buddy to keep fueling his interest in the game. Mom and Dad can only drive it so much, kids need someone they can relate to better.

Β 

It's really nice to hear all these great things with Jr. golf. It's a great community to be a part of.

Β 

He can come hang with our group.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Β 

Β 

Β 

He can come hang with our group.

Β 

Thanks! Waterboy is also one of his favorite movies btw.

I took my time on this one cause there are so many things I love about Jr golf.

• Spending time and talking about the round before and after.
  • Watching him make friends with random kids on the course.
  • His ability to appreciate a good shot from a competitor although that just ruined his chances at a victory.
  • Nothing motivates my son more than golf and that has helped him in school and grades.

The thing I love most is that jr competitive golf, is that unlike most sport it is about self-policing. I know he has had numerous opportunities to be liberal with the rules (i am not even talking about ignoring the rules) and that could impact the outcome. He is very particular and that is a life skill that cannot be taught.

So hard for me to pick just one. Here's what I love about it:

Β 

1. Friendships. Not only my daughter, but the one's my family is making as well. We often have a group from all over go grab something to eat after the tournament is over.

Β 

2. The time with my daughters. I spend a lot of time with my oldest since I caddy for her, but I do get time with my middle daughter as well when we get to go out and practice. This is time well spent.

Β 

3. Character development. I was so proud of my daughter for immediately calling a penalty on herself this past Saturday for a double-hit on a ball. She was in a tight battle for 2nd (no way 1st was happening), but did the right thing, and did so immediately. I was more proud of her for that than getting second.

I remember when I was walking with this Vietnamese mom during a 11 year old tournament that our sons were playing in the same foursome. My son had just had a 10 in the first hole and they were on about hole 5 when she tells me. They aren't even concentrating, they're just talking with each other and having a good ole time and she was disgusted about it.

Β 

I looked at her and said the following. My son has told me that the greatest thing he liked about golf was that you could meet 3 other guys for the first time at the 1st tee and by the end of the round it was as if you knew them like lifelong friends.

Β 

I said, they are 11. If you take that away from them, then this sport will be like work. It won't be fun. They have all their adult like to work. You make it like work and they won't want to do it after long. My son is normally quiet, he will socialize more on a golf course with young or old men or girls than he ever would in everyday life, but being able to do so on the golf course, has given him the confidence to relate off the course as well.

Β 

My son is a great listener and conversationalist on the course. He gets a lot of respect for his game, but more respect for the kind of person he has become.

Β 

This is my favorite part of golf, watching him become the man I want him to be.