2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Cult classic 3 woods/underrated 3 woods

nogamejames

Ping 2014 Rapture 13°. I wished more OEM's did something like that more often. Now it's basically all JDM doing full Ti heads with deep faces on those lofts at $500-700/head.

I need to look into ping equipment. I have never played a ping club except the rapture V2 driver years ago. I am eyeing a g15 3 wood on ebay right now. Thanks and keep them coming

Never mind the V2, I'm still playing the OG Rapture with a Blueboard in it. I tried and tried to knock it out of the bag with an M2 but it just wouldn't happen. Best shot I hit playing this weekend was just puring a 3W baby fade on the 320 yd dog-left 9th hole (I'm a lefty) to about 30 yards. GPS says I hit it about 275.

So the OP asked for suggestions for a new cult 3 wood and gets bombarded with old 3 wood suggestions. . .

Somewhat tough to achieve "cult" status overnight - not saying it can't be done.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

So the OP asked for suggestions for a new cult 3 wood and gets bombarded with old 3 wood suggestions. . .

I did but I'm not mad at it. It seems to take 5 years for a 3 wood to get a "special" status. I remember that a lot of people didn't have the love for the Xhot pro at the time and now it has a classic status since more have played it. I think a lot of it is club ho'ing as well, I am guilty of that... Hit 3 balls and then put it on the BST and if you are asked about it you have a negative view of it because you sold it so fast.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

A current 3 wood that I'd put out there that could be a cult classic is....

Cobra F7

Just super easy to elevate and with the right shaft...just becomes very playable/workable.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 8* - Tensei White Pro 70TX

Callaway Paradym TD 3 wood (14*) - Kai'Li White 80x (tipped extra 1/2")

Callaway UW 17* - Kai'Li White 90TX

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3 (20*) - Kai'Li White 100TX

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 5-9 - KBS Tour V 125 S+

Titleist Vokey 46, 50, 55 & 60 - KBS 610

TaylorMade Spider S Platinum Single Bend - KBS CT Tour Matte Black shaft

Of the newer model fairways the only ones I see being at "cult status" would be the original M2 3hl and the F6 Baffler.

I never would've looked at the F6 baffler until it came up in this thread. I hadn't played a new 3 wood in forever so I figured I had missed something good.

WITB:

Somewhat tough to achieve "cult" status overnight - not saying it can't be done.

Totally agree, just seemed the thread was turning into yet another best 3 wood of all time thread, rather than what the OP was hoping for. Fwiw I'm still on a TS V Steel so I'm out!

As far as new 3 woods go, I would say the Rogue for pure ball speed.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

I used to have a V Steel as well and loved it. Then the R7 TP knocked it out of the bag and still using it to this day. Haven't been able to find anything I like better.

[size=3][color=#0000ff][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Taylormade M3 440 10*
Taylormade R7 TP 15*
Titleist 816h1 19*
Ping G400 4 - 7
Ping i200 8 - UW (Power Spec Lofts)
Mizuno MP-T4 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron Futura X7 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/color][/size]

My first orlimar 3w was magic

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X 
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18.0 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Titleist T100 4-PW Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Raw SM8 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T with Black Onyx Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Inovai 8.0 Black Friday Murdered Out Edition 34.5"

Surprised no one has mentioned the X2 Hot fairways in either standard or pro heads. I think the X2 Hot Pro 3 wood is one of the very easiest to hit off the ground. Cup face design and no composite in the heads. Sound and feel great.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

taylor made 200 steel all day every day. i still game the 3w and have a 5w and 7w in storage should a course call for it, also have a 300 tour 4w which is similar. i put the 200 steel on a launch monitor last week against a ping anser (a model 10 years newer) and for me the TMAG 200 steel matched it numerically in terms of spin, launch, distance, dispersion and carry. maybe i've just learned how to it after using it for 16 years but it would take another 15 yards plus tighter dispersion for a 3w to supplant it. i've contemplated trying last year's epic with the rogue shaft to match my GBB sub zero w/ that shaft, but haven't had chance yet. the 200 steel to me is a special club, and i even find the stock TMAG shaft to be very good. i think fujikura made it for TMAG back in 02 but it was a shaft for mass consumption yet awesome, at least for me

Steelhead Plus went as far as my driver just 20 yards left of it. Still hit off the tee to be conservative for some stupid reason. Sonartec was my baby but I can't hit it that well these days. I remember the V Steel but I never put it in the bag. Played the Titleist with the shut face for awhile, that was a giant failure from them.

Original Taylormade RBZ. Even today, incredibly long 3 wood that never fails to surprise me. My next 3 wood may very well be the updated RBZ wood.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

Of the newer model fairways the only ones I see being at "cult status" would be the original M2 3hl and the F6 Baffler.

I never would've looked at the F6 baffler until it came up in this thread. I hadn't played a new 3 wood in forever so I figured I had missed something good.

Give it a serious look. I put the F6 baffler in the bag late last year and it is never coming out. The only negative some people may have on it is the loft (don't think it goes lower than 16 or so), but thats plenty for my game.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

I don't know how well these fit the "cult classic" label, but I would give a vote to the TEE E8 Beta or Ex9 Tour fairways. I own an E8 Beta but haven't hit an Ex9 Tour, so I'm extrapolating a bit. The E8 Beta is fairly ridiculous; I picked up a 12* to try as a driver replacement for a couple months, it's definitely naughty (in a good way).

To me, the bonus is the stock shafts in these two models. You get real world Rogues and Diamanas stock. What's not to like?

You could maybe extend that to the CB Pro or CB Pro F2.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Guess I've never understood why the V-Steel is the cult classic like it is? What about this club makes it so special?

I only use the vsteel 7w now. For me the feel is so pure and control thru the turf is great. The 3w is not the longest but its great for control. Great feel as well. Both my brothers bought a vsteel 7w after hitting mine. ...je ne sais quoi!

Cobra Aerojet LS Ventus Black 7

Srixon ZX 3w GD AD TP 7

Rogue 5w HZRDUS 

Vsteel 7w OG Kai'li 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ, 

Cleveland RTX4 PW PX 
SM8 56* PX
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

Original callaway S2H2. Wish they'd update that headshape. Played one of my best tournament rounds ever with that as my primary club off the tee. Also, the Bobby Jones Deep Face was spectacular.

V-steel is the cult 3-wood.

I don't mind the 915FD, but there are many many many great clubs out there now.

S2H2 3W was the first club I couldn't get rid of. It was so good to me. It currently resides in my father's garage. Maybe I'll regrip it and mess around one of these days!

I just took mine out of my bag, where it’s resides for an easy 17-18 years. Was doing a Trackman session two weeks ago to update my yardages, and I could barely out carry my five wood. Two other three Woods I tried both carried the ball 14-16 yards further.

I don’t know do they deteriorated, but someone this one developed issues. Too bad. Because now I’m on the hunt for a “new” classic.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Cobra F6 Baffler

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

I have been using an RBZ stage 2 tour (14.5) for years until 2 weeks ago I caved the face in. I am struggling to find something to replace it. I have tried a 917F3, Adams xtd ti, TEE ex9 and Cally epic. I am very tempted to put the 07 burner tp or Nike SQ2 back in the bag and forget about anything newer.

My long winded question actually is... Has anyone made a "cult classic" fairway wood like the 07 burner tp, TEE cb2 or SQ2 recently? Other than what is listed above I haven't tried anything newer than the rbz stage 2.

Thank you in advance.

I think you already know the answer to your problem. I've had the SQ2 in the bag for maybe 8 years and haven't even tried anything else.

Give it a serious look. I put the F6 baffler in the bag late last year and it is never coming out. The only negative some people may have on it is the loft (don't think it goes lower than 16 or so), but thats plenty for my game.

It is my favorite fairway wood I have ever played. I can work it both ways and the rails are great for a digger like myself. I have mine set to 17.5 with a HZRDUS Black 75 in it playing at 42.5. I like it so much that I bought 2 of them. I got one dirt cheap with a senior shaft when DSG was blowing out their Cobra gear last year.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

After reading all the replies I have 6 new (to me) 3 woods on the way... Now that I think about it I should have named the thread " newer fairway woods that could achieve cult classic status" or something similar. I don't think my intentions were too clear. Thanks for all the replies and be on the lookout for my all 3 woods BST ad! Lol

WITB:

It is my favorite fairway wood I have ever played. I can work it both ways and the rails are great for a digger like myself. I have mine set to 17.5 with a HZRDUS Black 75 in it playing at 42.5. I like it so much that I bought 2 of them. I got one dirt cheap with a senior shaft when DSG was blowing out their Cobra gear last year.

Another +1 for the F6 Baffler. I would add it to my list of favorite fairway woods - Tisi Tec, CB1, and Super LS. I thought the stock shaft would be too light, but it actually works well for me. I think the head has a nice, heavy feel to it, which helps make it easy to hit (along with the stock shorter shaft).

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H