Thoughts on why people are walking away from the game...

Bringing it back to the topic at hand, if Millennials aren't as interested in golf as generations past, it's wouldn't be a knock against them as people. It would suggest to me that maybe golf isn't the most efficient means of doing whatever it is that golf does for us. That said, golf is still extremely popular here in the South. There are a ton of Millenial golfers everywhere I go. Every school has a team and there's a ton of competition when it comes to golf scholarships.

Now, not everyone plays but that's mostly because compared with a lot of other potential hobbies, golf is both boring and difficult. Why does no one seem to say that? Golf is really freaking boring to most people. It does not hold their attention and it's exceedingly challenging for beginners (for a host of reasons).

FWIW, an active junior program doesn't mean golf is still popular with a bright outlook. I've done a lot of research on why sailing is waning as an activity, and the parallels to golf are many. Junior sailing is still healthy, but those who've looked further have found that over 90% of junior sailors have quit by age 25 if not long before. They don't have time, their too busy with careers/family. There seem to be way more activity choices today than generations ago, and most are cheaper, less time consuming, easier to learn and more active/exciting than golf (or sailing).

And neither does professional golf, or sailing. Professional sailing is still thriving and lucrative, but the median age of sail boat owners has gone from mid 30's to mid 50's. Most everyone sailing now is a junior (sailing with other juniors) or a Boomer - there are very few middle aged sail boat owners. And where sailing, and golf, used to be a family outing - today's kids seem more averse to family activities than earlier generations.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing it back to the topic at hand, if Millennials aren't as interested in golf as generations past, it's wouldn't be a knock against them as people. It would suggest to me that maybe golf isn't the most efficient means of doing whatever it is that golf does for us. That said, golf is still extremely popular here in the South. There are a ton of Millenial golfers everywhere I go. Every school has a team and there's a ton of competition when it comes to golf scholarships.

Now, not everyone plays but that's mostly because compared with a lot of other potential hobbies, golf is both boring and difficult. Why does no one seem to say that? Golf is really freaking boring to most people. It does not hold their attention and it's exceedingly challenging for beginners (for a host of reasons).

FWIW, an active junior program doesn't mean golf is still popular with a bright outlook. I've done a lot of research on why sailing is waning as an activity, and the parallels to golf are many. Junior sailing is still healthy, but those who've looked further have found that over 90% of junior sailors have quit by age 25 if not long before. They don't have time, their too busy with careers/family. There seem to be way more activity choices today than generations ago, and most are cheaper, less time consuming, easier to learn and more active/exciting than golf (or sailing).

And neither does professional golf, or sailing. Professional sailing is still thriving and lucrative, but the median age of sail boat owners has gone from mid 30's to mid 50's. Most everyone sailing now is a junior (sailing with other juniors) or a Boomer - there are very few middle aged sail boat owners. And where sailing, and golf, used to be a family outing - today's kids seem more averse to family activities than earlier generations.

It's also about budget. The erosion of the middle-class, which now seems to be turning around, has had a negative impact on any activity that requires a moderate budget. Golf and boating remain popular in wealthier areas. I bet Newport Beach CA marinas still charge an arm and leg for slip rental. Then add-in student loans of $100k or more, private school cost, preschool cost, paying for kids sporting events because schools don't support programs anymore, and there's simply less money for recreational activities.

I totally agree with both of the above.

Disposable income is down and in general, golf is an expensive way to spend your time if you play often enough to be good at it. It's easy to invest $300/mo either through regular greens fees or a membership at a nice course. As we know, being a range rat does not equate to being a low-handicap golfer so the investment of time and money are real. Most married guys I know could be better at the game if they had the time but alas family limits how much they can invest (in every sense).

I also agree that there can be a difference between a culture where many young folks are exposed to the something because that's the cultural norm for that class and a thing which attracts people on it's own merit. Golf is still very much supported by each generation "handing it down" to the next. I would guess that most avid golfers discovered it either through a family member or via some transition from another sport in which they hit their ceiling. Even then, there tend to be families that are athletic and those that aren't. So in the end, I just don't think golf could ever be universally popular.

As I was hinting at before, golf is very much a game for athletic folks who cannot play their primary sport anymore. Most "great" players I've met came from some other sport: baseball, tennis, hockey, etc. And those players only came to golf after they had to give up on those other sports. Either they got too old or they had an injury or there was no "adult" version for working folks, etc.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

As I was hinting at before, golf is very much a game for athletic folks who cannot play their primary sport anymore. Most "great" players I've met came from some other sport: baseball, tennis, hockey, etc. And those players only came to golf after they had to give up on those other sports. Either they got too old or they had an injury or there was no "adult" version for working folks, etc.

This is definitely something that I've noticed, too. For those who took up golf later in life, there seems to be direct correlation between those who have reached a reasonable level of competence at golf and those who've spent serious time in early years with other sports - particularly those that are hand-eye oriented - e.g. your list above. (Take your pick at the definition of competence, but for the sake of discussion, let's call it those who shoot low 80's or below somewhat regularly.)

This is definitely something that I've noticed, too. For those who took up golf later in life, there seems to be direct correlation between those who have reached a reasonable level of competence at golf and those who've spent serious time in early years with other sports - particularly those that are hand-eye oriented - e.g. your list above. (Take your pick at the definition of competence, but for the sake of discussion, let's call it those who shoot low 80's or below somewhat regularly.)

100%.

I think it follows naturally that you develop those things as a youngster and golf is simply the outlet later in life. If you don't find some reasonable ability within 2-3 years, it's mostly not there at all. The upside is that a good 3-year commitment is really all it takes to establish yourself in anything.

It's kind of amazing but you plus 3 years of intense dedication to mathematics is a version of you that could publish a paper involving quantum mechanics or general relativity. It's really not that far away. That same dedication could just as smoothly take someone down to scratch in golf or bowling.

My best golf was probably played at about that 3-year mark. There are elements of the game at which I'm better today (10 years in) but I haven't 2-over par since way back then in my mid-20s. I was about as good with playing guitar at 3-4 years as I am today.

Every time someone bemoans how hard it is to shoot good numbers I just think, 'hey, I feel your pain, but it's not that complicated. It's right out there for you to grab if you want it, brother!'

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I agree with the above...very interesting points of view...which tells me there's no "one thing"....it's culmination of many things. But I think the common denominator is time, budget, and possibly whether or not golf was introduced at an earlier age, a "hand me down" sport if you will. I think golf is a great sport because unlike football, baseball, basketball, hockey, you can still play and not kill yourself.

I just met a guy today who joined my club....he's 62 years old, and took up the game two years ago. While I didn't ask, I bet he's now an empty nester and can devote time to recreation vs. kids.

The initial cost of golf is too high to just give it a shot unless you already have money. I know plenty of people who love going to top golf but don't want to put up the money to get a set if they don't know if they'll like it. I think if more clubs provide free/cheap rentals this would help a lot. Every club has rentals but they are like $30-$40 for the round. Drop that price and it would be a lot easier for new people to get out to the course.

The initial cost of golf is too high to just give it a shot unless you already have money. I know plenty of people who love going to top golf but don't want to put up the money to get a set if they don't know if they'll like it. I think if more clubs provide free/cheap rentals this would help a lot. Every club has rentals but they are like $30-$40 for the round. Drop that price and it would be a lot easier for new people to get out to the course.

bo

A few evenings at Top Golf and somebody could buy their own clubs and not have to worry about rentals.

This is a similar discussion I used to have with a co-worker, when I'd have a golf club delivered to the office, and he'd make some kind of comment about not understanding how I could afford it. And then I'd ask him how much he blew at the bar last Friday night. He'd respond, and I'd look at the new club and back at him, and back at the new club and back at him, and I'd finally say, "At least I've got something to show for my 100 bucks." ... And he'd walk away

bo

A few evenings at Top Golf and somebody could buy their own clubs and not have to worry about rentals.

This is a similar discussion I used to have with a co-worker, when I'd have a golf club delivered to the office, and he'd make some kind of comment about not understanding how I could afford it. And then I'd ask him how much he blew at the bar last Friday night. He'd respond, and I'd look at the new club and back at him, and back at the new club and back at him, and I'd finally say, "At least I've got something to show for my 100 bucks." ... And he'd walk away

Blowing funds at the bar was an absolute waste in my college days. I rather have spent it on golf. You can get chicks without leaving your couch now, wasn’t as easy even a decade ago

bo

Blowing funds at the bar was an absolute waste in my college days. I rather have spent it on golf. You can get chicks without leaving your couch now, wasn't as easy even a decade ago

But to him his time is worth the $100 he spent at that bar and the $100 you spent on the golf club is a waste of money. People aren't going to spend money on golf until they think it is worth it.

bo

Blowing funds at the bar was an absolute waste in my college days. I rather have spent it on golf. You can get chicks without leaving your couch now, wasn't as easy even a decade ago

But to him his time is worth the $100 he spent at that bar and the $100 you spent on the golf club is a waste of money. People aren't going to spend money on golf until they think it is worth it.

Was giving my personal account, not really saying what’s right or wrong way to spend. But I hear ya

I wouldn't say that cost is a big problem.

If someone picks up golf and they want to play they can slowly put together a bag. After all, that's probably what we all did. We added stuff $100 at a time via Ebay or the used bin and wound up with a set we loved. Maybe we spend a bit more now. Maybe we don't. But it's certainly not like you need $1,000 worth of brand new clubs to play.

It's more expensive to buy a nice boat or a sports car or a jetski or vacation regularly.

As spending money goes, golf can be pricey but it's really still quite unlikely that someone would quit because the initial investment in clubs is $200 or the weekend round is $45.

Again, we have to keep perspective.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Cell phone internet generation wants things to be fast

I don't buy that. That's a huge generalization that doesn't mesh with what I've seen. Every generation has it's favorite hobbies.

I think guys have less time. Somehow it feels that between work, dating, gym and having a social life all the day just gets consumed.

I think stuff like video games can be addicting for some types of people, and that's fine, but golf's biggest drawback is still the fact that is usually requires a choice between socializing with 90% of your friends or just the 10% who play.

That's why I said, the biggest issue is that golf is too hard and too boring for most of the population. I don't see how you're going to change that.

6 hour weekend rounds don't quite fit the bill

Nobody likes it when rounds exceed 4 hours and if you're at the course for more than 5...well, that's just about my limit!

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

There are many reasons as to why some walk away from golf, but what I have noticed amongst most of my friends is that it is time consuming and can be financially straining. I have lost many playing partners because they are starting a new family, I would be lucky to see them out on the course ONCE A MONTH. Courses around me range anywhere from $45-$60 walking and to get out every weekend, that would set you back ~$200/month and that doesn’t even include range cost. That’s money that could be used towards something else for their family i.e day care, home improvements, family vacations, kids clothes....etc.

. I think these can be a big factor as to why many walk away from the sport forever or temporarily. Golf is a luxury sport that can’t be enjoyed by many forever. I am lucky to have the money to spare for the sport, but my time has been cut in half or maybe more because I also fall into the category of starting a new family.

There are many reasons as to why some walk away from golf, but what I have noticed amongst most of my friends is that it is time consuming and can be financially straining. I have lost many playing partners because they are starting a new family, I would be lucky to see them out on the course ONCE A MONTH. Courses around me range anywhere from $45-$60 walking and to get out every weekend, that would set you back ~$200/month and that doesn’t even include range cost. That’s money that could be used towards something else for their family i.e day care, home improvements, family vacations, kids clothes....etc.

. I think these can be a big factor as to why many walk away from the sport forever or temporarily. Golf is a luxury sport that can’t be enjoyed by many forever. I am lucky to have the money to spare for the sport, but my time has been cut in half or maybe more because I also fall into the category of starting a new family.

You're spot on, but the price of everything just keeps going up. Sadly, businesses have learned how to bleed the middle class dry.

I'm only 32 and I recall a bottle of Coke being 99 cents...now it's $1.79 or something close. The carwash near me charges rates of $15-$30 per wash. That's just shocking when you stop to think about it.

I remember when you purchased something outright...now you sign up for recurring monthly payments. That's the new norm. You entire paycheck is consumed by that stuff.

How we'll have enough for retirement is amazing.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

100%.

I think it follows naturally that you develop those things as a youngster and golf is simply the outlet later in life. If you don't find some reasonable ability within 2-3 years, it's mostly not there at all. The upside is that a good 3-year commitment is really all it takes to establish yourself in anything.

It's kind of amazing but you plus 3 years of intense dedication to mathematics is a version of you that could publish a paper involving quantum mechanics or general relativity. It's really not that far away. That same dedication could just as smoothly take someone down to scratch in golf or bowling.

My best golf was probably played at about that 3-year mark. There are elements of the game at which I'm better today (10 years in) but I haven't 2-over par since way back then in my mid-20s. I was about as good with playing guitar at 3-4 years as I am today.

Every time someone bemoans how hard it is to shoot good numbers I just think, 'hey, I feel your pain, but it's not that complicated. It's right out there for you to grab if you want it, brother!'

Sorry my friend but that just ain't true. You make some good points but there IS such a thing as "potential", even is nobody knows where it actually is, or ends.

The math example is flawed simply because "all" the math takes in a reasonably high IQ and study. One can study and practice golf all one's life and never be good (enough) at it.

Surely you don't think "everyone" has the potential to be another Tiger or Jack. It just ain't so. One needs to be almost a prodigy to reach the pinnacle,,,,,,,,,, or even "only" scratch. And there just aren't that many around. And your learning curved MAY have peaked at 2-3 years in but for many players it takes a fair bit longer to get there.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

A 2-liter of coke was $0.99 in 1993 and it being $1.79 now would be pretty much right in line with inflation. Not really shocking.

"Only" 80 per cent in 25 years. That is incredibly low. But soda does have a lot more competition now than it did then.

One can take almost any period of time and cherry pick a few items to make their argument. A gallon of premium cost 25 cents in the late 60's. 50 years later $4.

Slice of pizza - 25 cents. Today - About $2.00

A gentleman above pointed out the "entry cost" to golf as being prohibitive. Just not so. The gubmint's (US of course) official inflation rate shows a 625% inflation from 1968-2018.

A set of forged blades back then cost around $250. 50 years later, about $1000-$1200. Not so bad, eh ? Back then a round at a muni cost about $10. Now ? $30-50 or so, (depending on where you go of course).

Not to mention that back then if you decided you didn't want to play you threw the clubs in the garage. Nowadays you can get rid of 'em on the 'bay for a minimal "loss".

Anywho, in my mind, "cost" doesn't cut it. It's time first and foremost and next, competition from so many other things to do.

Titleist Pro V1X

A 2-liter of coke was $0.99 in 1993 and it being $1.79 now would be pretty much right in line with inflation. Not really shocking.

I was talking about a 20-oz drink.

Still sucks though.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

One can study and practice golf all one's life and never be good (enough) at it.

My point was close to what you just said, which is that if you can't achieve something (assuming a high level of dedication) within roughly 3 years, you simply don't have it in you.

And your learning curved MAY have peaked at 2-3 years in but for many players it takes a fair bit longer to get there.

It's not me. It's a general trend amongst anyone who's competent at one thing or another.

You can play golf all your life and be a 20 handicap because you're not really dedicated. The question is, how good can you be once you've committed yourself. And the truth is generally that it takes about 3 years worth of intense dedication to find out.

And no, there are no promises that you'll make it to scratch but at least you can say you tried.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

It's not me. It's a general trend amongst anyone who's competent at one thing or another.

You can play golf all your life and be a 20 handicap because you're not really dedicated. The question is, how good can you be once you've committed yourself. And the truth is generally that it takes about 3 years worth of intense dedication to find out.

And no, there are no promises that you'll make it to scratch but at least you can say you tried.

Is this 3 years your personal opinion or is there some science, theoretical or otherwise, behind it ?

Titleist Pro V1X

I was talking about a 20-oz drink.

Still sucks though.

I think the general population would freak out more if there was no inflation. They need to think they are making progress income wise when they are actually going backwards or staying the same despite the raise they were just given.

I don't think the fact that golfer's in their 30's are not playing is all that different than in the past. A golfer's "playing arc" pretty much follows the same path. You play when you are young. You get married and have a family and time and money priorities change. You than pick it up when you are empty nester's and into retirement.

There are significant lifestyle differences now vs. 40 or 50 years ago:

1. Back than gender roles were more clearly defined. Men worked, did the yard work and played golf on weekends. Mom's mostly stayed home with the kids 24/7

2. Kid's lives were far less scheduled with less organized activities. I can promise you, for the most part, no parents in my generation were going to spend every weekend and thousands and thousands of dollars carting kids to dance, cheerleading, karate, AAU sports or any other money suck that is routine now. Helicopter parenting did not exist.

3 The current lifestyle that we consider common place today we could not envision 40 years ago. AC in houses and cars, cable TV, video games, internet, smart phones, etc. These have become huge expenses today. The only guys I knew that owned trucks were construction company owners and farmers. Paying for a gym membership was unheard of. You want to work out, you push mowed the lawn, shoveled the driveway, cut wood, rebuilt the car engine, fixed the roof on the house, etc.

4. When you did play golf, the only people who rode were the ultra rich or the real old guys.

Is this 3 years your personal opinion or is there some science, theoretical or otherwise, behind it ?

It's totally my opinion. But that said it's a view borne out of my personal experience and one that I've heard reported back to me over and over by loads of other people in all walks of life from athletics to academics to the arts. There's clearly a common theme.

To be honest, I'm not interested in discussing it further though. I'm going to hold onto my view of how things work in life. I don't really want to have a philosophical discussion on WRX. No offense intended.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I don't think the fact that golfer's in their 30's are not playing is all that different than in the past. A golfer's "playing arc" pretty much follows the same path. You play when you are young. You get married and have a family and time and money priorities change. You than pick it up when you are empty nester's and into retirement.

1. Back than gender roles were more clearly defined. Men worked, did the yard work and played golf on weekends. Mom's mostly stayed home with the kids 24/7

2. Kid's lives were far less scheduled with less organized activities. I can promise you, for the most part, no parents in my generation were going to spend every weekend and thousands and thousands of dollars carting kids to dance, cheerleading, karate, AAU sports or any other money suck that is routine now. Helicopter parenting did not exist.

3 The current lifestyle that we consider common place today we could not envision 40 years ago. AC in houses and cars, cable TV, video games, internet, smart phones, etc. These have become huge expenses today. The only guys I knew that owned trucks were construction company owners and farmers. Paying for a gym membership was unheard of. You want to work out, you push mowed the lawn, shoveled the driveway, cut wood, rebuilt the car engine, fixed the roof on the house, etc.

4. When you did play golf, the only people who rode were the ultra rich or the real old guys.

I started at age 30 and was a total addict for about 15 years. My son started playing with me when he was 5. So awesome having him out there with me all the time. He just finished high school and his high school golf career. If not for playing with my son I really have no interest in playing at this point.

Great post!

You're spot on.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I agree with 1 & 2 but not 3 & 4. The cost of my smartphone, including purchase price, is much cheaper these days than a landline phone back in the day when inflation adjusted. Video games are also cheaper when adjusted for inflation. There were gyms around but certainly not for an inflation adjusted $10 per month. Internet and cable TV are a luxury not a necessity. My grandfather owned a truck where you needed to manually pump up the brakes. He did not own a business and was not a farmer or construction worker.

My memory is much different than yours for #4 but I do agree more people used to walk. However, I think this has a lot to do with courses. Many courses around here don't allow you to walk during weekend morning rounds.