Thoughts on why people are walking away from the game...

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.

Some are, and some are not. And some can actually play better than most teaching pros as well. Becoming a teaching pro isn't that hard. Some are good at it, some are not.

But if all you have as evidence of ability is what you read here, you really don't know which is which. But that doesn't stop most here (including myself) from espousing an opinion. :)

I agree.

Assuming all teaching pros are skilled is a colossal error in judgment. Thinking it doesn't matter if teaching pros can play the game at a high level is also not the best decision. Some of them can exacerbate problems. To my way of thinking they need to demonstrate/execute what they hope to teach; meaning they should be at least a single digit with sound judgment and people skills before I sign up, refer my wife or others. If there's one thing that always irritates me, it's people with no talent or experience telling me or others how to...

Years back after taking up the game and reaching single-digit in under five years, I wanted a set of lessons to ensure my self-taught mechanics were on track. I met and talked with three PGA teaching pros before finally picking the forth which was referred to me by college golfer friend. The first three asked a limited number of superficial questions and jumped at signing me up, while the fourth asked me serious questions over about 45mins covering all sorts aspects of my then game, and being self-taught, what I knew about my mechanics. As it later turned out that teacher went on to build a pretty impressive list of touring pros on his roster. Though he's climbed above teaching pro, he's still teaching a limited number. In a few months, I may see him again for help with my next step. I got lucky. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very expensive to get into. I don't think it's more complicated than that. And kids have to come from a fairly well off family to get into it. I came from a middle-class family, but it's not like I could just go out and hit the range or play 9 anytime I wanted to - like I could have in basketball or soccer or any other sport.

Clubs/equipment can be $1000 investment on the mid-level, a range bucket is $10, playing anywhere around here is at least $30, $40+ on the weekends. That's a lot to ask someone to invest before they even get hooked on the game.

There is a serious cost obstacle to golf that other sports don't have to contend with.

That may be true but the thread is about why people are "walking away from the game". ;)

Ok fair. I interpreted it as why are the collective "people" walking away from the game. As in, why is the popularity declining.

I think cost is the major factor either way.

This is all accurate, but in order for cost to be the reason, golf has to be more expensive today than it was in 1990. Since that is not really true, cost is probably not the cause of golfers leaving the game. Any reason for why the game is declining has to have a difference between today and the past, so that should be the starting point to reason from.

I'd be interested in reading why that isn't true. The cost of golf may be stagnant when adjusted for inflation but the disappearing middle class leaves a lot less people with a lot less disposable income. So in a relative sense, I'd think it would be more expensive.

Would be an interesting read if you had a study on an alternative viewpoint.

Not to get too into the economic weeds, but most evidence shows that real incomes are increasing. Definitely not as fast as they used to, but most people are richer today than they were 30 years ago. A lot of the growth has gone to the top few percentiles, but an often overlooked piece of the puzzle is the multiplication of households. Economic stats are often reported as income per household and now there are a lot more households due to lower marriage rates. Slightly more income is being spread out over a lot more households, so income per household looks flat or down.

Here is a good video outlining the concept:

When is the last time you had to buy a new baseball bat or glove?

What about a new football?

Maybe you need a new tennis racket?

How about a racketball racket?

You must need a better basketball this year?

NO? What?!?!?!

How do you expect the sports equipment manufacturers to survive? OMG...!!!

All I see is greed from the big manufacturers of this game. Many would say it's back lash from the tiger era...I say it's human nature unchecked. I pray bifurcation solves this problem...but I know it won't. Capitalism is kind of a monster when left to it's own devices...but I guess regulation is kind of a joke too. Hmmmm....

I get so confused as to why golf manufacturers think they need to put out new clubs and balls every year? Seems like a lot of effort for no reason other than profit. Kind of silly IMHO...bet they could be doing better things with their time and capital.

People are sick of spending $600 on a driver that doesn't work. $1000+ for irons that aren't fit right for them. Damn near $200 a wedge now?!?!?!?!

Mind blowing...

Whilst I agree with you on much of that, the choice is with the money owner over what he/she spends it on. There is a lot of competition for spend.

Since this thread started, I have walked away from playing the game. I stopped because I am no longer good enough to enjoy it. Every round is torture, no amount of practice improves the situation, and no one seems to be able to help. It's as simple as that.

Book a set of lessons.

It's very expensive to get into. I don't think it's more complicated than that. And kids have to come from a fairly well off family to get into it. I came from a middle-class family, but it's not like I could just go out and hit the range or play 9 anytime I wanted to - like I could have in basketball or soccer or any other sport.

Clubs/equipment can be $1000 investment on the mid-level, a range bucket is $10, playing anywhere around here is at least $30, $40+ on the weekends. That's a lot to ask someone to invest before they even get hooked on the game.

There is a serious cost obstacle to golf that other sports don't have to contend with.

Thats a regional issue. At one club I am a member of its 125 dollars a month. Rangeballs are FREE for junior members in the FREE junior golf program. This is for kids 18 and under. We had a gentleman years ago leave a large gift to our club to help kids play. I think this is more common than a lot of people know, at least in our area. Did you read about Lanto Griffen in the last Golf Digest? His coach taught him for free, to help a kid that needed it, I know his coach, he is the teaching pro at another club I am a member of, and he still helps kids that need it. The First Tee in our area lets kids play at top rate private courses once a week for FREE. There are a lot of options for kids to play if you look for them.

Thats a regional issue. At one club I am a member of its 125 dollars a month. Rangeballs are FREE for junior members in the FREE junior golf program. This is for kids 18 and under. We had a gentleman years ago leave a large gift to our club to help kids play. I think this is more common than a lot of people know, at least in our area. Did you read about Lanto Griffen in the last Golf Digest? His coach taught him for free, to help a kid that needed it, I know his coach, he is the teaching pro at another club I am a member of, and he still helps kids that need it. The First Tee in our area lets kids play at top rate private courses once a week for FREE. There are a lot of options for kids to play if you look for them.

As you preface, it varies.

In your region it seems pretty darn good. That is not always the case everywhere.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Golf has a rather big learning curve. It isn’t fun for a lot of people getting good enough to partake. It also requires practice. That takes time. There are also many more people who just can’t physically play. Have you taken a look at American kids? Physical fitness is not what it used to be. And it goes a long ways to explain a lot of troubling things in our society. Though we’ll always have the best drone pilots! Takes time and some money, and have to have a car generally. It isn’t an activity you can just casually do...have to make a tee time...partners...meh.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

At our little club, people are not walking away from the game, they are dying away from the game. Our problem is that there are no new young people playing.

The boomers entering their spending years raised the levels of so many areas. Their deaths have to create the reverse.

Consider the 30 to 40 year old parents you know today. They are putting their kids into any number of activities, 6 to 10 a year. Base ball, hockey, soccer etc. Sometimes golf.

Golf isn't special. Why should it be immune from ebbs and flows of more societal factors than other activities. Many failing clubs are just poorly run. Many failing clubs shouldn't have been there in the first place, built around a failed residential subdivision.

Here’s my experience and I am/was a die hard golfer(even went to one of those fancy golf colleges) A couple of months ago I played in a tournament with a men’s club. My partner and I were a twosome scheduled to tee off last playing behind all foursomes. We come off the first green and the marshall alerts us the first group is 2.5 holes behind!!! Needless to say the pace was horrible that day. I’ve never had such a miserable time on a golf course. Checking the results to see that many shot well over 100 that day. 130 was highest.(Not a difficult course or conditions) I am/was a 7.1 at the time and from that day forward for some reason I just don’t want to subject myself to that ever again. Not to mention the lack of etiquette( not repairing ball marks on the green, not raking bunkers, super slow play) and it’s easy to see why people walk away. I sold all my clubs last week but I’ll be back?

Edit to mention that was not a one time experience. I’ve played casual rounds where it took 3.5hrs for 9 holes...on pace for a 7 hour round! The ball marks and bunk issue seems to be quite common in this area(NorCal) and seeing groups of 5-6 is not uncommon. Who wants to golf behind Wu Tang clan??

915 D3 8.5* Attas 7x
CB4 16.5* Kuro Kage HBP 80x
Sldr 19* Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8x
4,5 AP2 714, 6-9MB 714 C-Taper S+
46.8F,50.12F,53.7S,58.8M SM5 C-Taper S+
Ping Karsten TR Zing 34"

Since this thread started, I have walked away from playing the game. I stopped because I am no longer good enough to enjoy it. Every round is torture, no amount of practice improves the situation, and no one seems to be able to help. It's as simple as that.

Sorry to hear that. I think everyone of us have shared your frustration at one time or another, I know I have.

The last time I played I was at the range doing the body centric thing...which has endlessly frustrated me...and still not getting it, so I said "f" it and just swung the way that felt natural to me. I took that swing to the course and hit 11 fairways, 10 greens, did not lose a ball on a course riddled with hazards, and shot a 75 (par 70). I am a 9.1 HI, and in my 60s. I also hit the ball farther with all my clubs. It was quite liberating not playing golf swing, but just hitting the damn ball.

Book a set of lessons.

Do you honestly think I haven't tried that? Read where I said "no one seems to be able to help".

Here's my experience and I am/was a die hard golfer(even went to one of those fancy golf colleges) A couple of months ago I played in a tournament with a men's club. My partner and I were a twosome scheduled to tee off last playing behind all foursomes. We come off the first green and the marshall alerts us the first group is 2.5 holes behind!!! Needless to say the pace was horrible that day. I've never had such a miserable time on a golf course. Checking the results to see that many shot well over 100 that day. 130 was highest.(Not a difficult course or conditions) I am/was a 7.1 at the time and from that day forward for some reason I just don't want to subject myself to that ever again. Not to mention the lack of etiquette( not repairing ball marks on the green, not raking bunkers, super slow play) and it's easy to see why people walk away. I sold all my clubs last week but I'll be back

Edit to mention that was not a one time experience. I've played casual rounds where it took 3.5hrs for 9 holes...on pace for a 7 hour round! The ball marks and bunk issue seems to be quite common in this area(NorCal) and seeing groups of 5-6 is not uncommon. Who wants to golf behind Wu Tang clan??

Get out early if you can. Makes all the difference in the world. Not sure where you're playing 3.5 9s, unless you are teeing off somewhere like Crystal Springs at 11am on the weekend. Playing earl in the East Bay, under 4 for 18 was common.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Book a set of lessons.

Do you honestly think I haven't tried that? Read where I said "no one seems to be able to help".

I used to bowl. I stopped because I wasn't good enough to enjoy it.

Here's my experience and I am/was a die hard golfer(even went to one of those fancy golf colleges) A couple of months ago I played in a tournament with a men's club. My partner and I were a twosome scheduled to tee off last playing behind all foursomes. We come off the first green and the marshall alerts us the first group is 2.5 holes behind!!! Needless to say the pace was horrible that day. I've never had such a miserable time on a golf course. Checking the results to see that many shot well over 100 that day. 130 was highest.(Not a difficult course or conditions) I am/was a 7.1 at the time and from that day forward for some reason I just don't want to subject myself to that ever again. Not to mention the lack of etiquette( not repairing ball marks on the green, not raking bunkers, super slow play) and it's easy to see why people walk away. I sold all my clubs last week but I'll be back��

Edit to mention that was not a one time experience. I've played casual rounds where it took 3.5hrs for 9 holes...on pace for a 7 hour round! The ball marks and bunk issue seems to be quite common in this area(NorCal) and seeing groups of 5-6 is not uncommon. Who wants to golf behind Wu Tang clan??

Get out early if you can. Makes all the difference in the world. Not sure where you're playing 3.5 9s, unless you are teeing off somewhere like Crystal Springs at 11am on the weekend. Playing earl in the East Bay, under 4 for 18 was common.

As I have no sponsor and like to play many rounds I usually rely on golfnow for decent deals. Tough to spend $50 on a course you just played for $15. I’ve done it but with the amount I played I wouldn’t e able to afford the early rates

915 D3 8.5* Attas 7x
CB4 16.5* Kuro Kage HBP 80x
Sldr 19* Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8x
4,5 AP2 714, 6-9MB 714 C-Taper S+
46.8F,50.12F,53.7S,58.8M SM5 C-Taper S+
Ping Karsten TR Zing 34"

I’ve read this thread a few times and always wondered if the underlying premise was even true.

The number of beginning golfers is up, and the number of committed golfers is up. So we lost some sad sacks that weren’t really into the game. Big whoop.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-ngf-annual-golf-participation-report-uncovers-favorable-trends-for-the-games-future

Golf has a rather big learning curve. It isn’t fun for a lot of people getting good enough to partake. It also requires practice. That takes time. There are also many more people who just can’t physically play. Have you taken a look at American kids? Physical fitness is not what it used to be. And it goes a long ways to explain a lot of troubling things in our society. Though we’ll always have the best drone pilots! Takes time and some money, and have to have a car generally. It isn’t an activity you can just casually do...have to make a tee time...partners...meh.

American kids? The UK kids with purple hair and nose rings aren't exactly pillars of athleticism.

Book a set of lessons.

I used to bowl. I stopped because I wasn't good enough to enjoy it.

I played for over 50 years and gave the game as much effort as it's possible to give. But, at some point you just say "enough is enough".

I agree that people don't want to spend that much money on a new driver, but as long as there are Demo Days and they see they are driving the ball 10 yards longer, they will sell drivers. I wonder which of the last ten TM drivers are the best?

A quick trip over to Rick Shiels' YouTube channel gives you all the info you need.

Taylormade:

Callaway:

Ping:

Cobra:

Titleist:

I don't think any brand other than Titleist changed or improved in a consistent manner over the past 5-7 years. And even their improvements were a couple hundred RPMs less spin, 3 extra yards...negligible.

As someone who recently bought the driver in my signature, I can say without a doubt that the predominant factor was price.

I love everything I've seen about the Rogue and the G400...but $500 and $400 respectively for one club is ridiculous when they were $300 on average just a couple of years ago when I got into this game. The average single iron is what...about $150?

A friend essentially did the same. It's hard for me to understand his or your position or how trying to play a challenging game ends up being torture? It sounds like my buddy's expectations; they are far above his ability. If someone has a difficult time learning, it isn't necessarily a failure. Its only failure when someone quits or gives up on themselves. It seems as though when people do the latter, it has a more profound emotional effect on them than they expect, especially if they have done that before in other areas; essentially accumulating bad experiences.

Then there's Charles Barkley's pathetic swing and ugly control, and NO teacher publically or privately has been able to help him. Yet, he hasn't quit on himself. I applaud that...

My buddy doesn't put the time in learning and maybe plays 5-10 times per year when I push him, no practice other than before he tees off. I will never see meandering down a fairway chasing a straight or errant ball as torture when walking or riding on a golf course makes life enjoyable. Sure I don't like hitting errant shots, but when that happens to me, it's not for the same reasons. It's my opinion some of us can have expectations others shouldn't until they have a steady game. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Studies have shown that the average working class American has less PTO off than they did back in the 70's and 80's. Thus, one of the big issues is that the competition for the money that is spent on that time off has increased mightily. I think the subject of lost golfers is very nuanced and there's more to it than people think, but I think the crux of it is that with PTO shrinking, golf has not appropriately adjusted to make playing golf and being at the course a worthwhile option for customers.

I will say that I believe one of the largest and overlooked issues today is the price of golf balls and golf course design.

Golfers that play regularly are drawn to the Pro V1 ball because it's considered the premium ball. Even if the ball doesn't fit their game, they still want to play it. Problem is that you're looking at $50 for a dozen....or roughly $4.17 per ball.

I grew up on older designed courses. Most of them were designed prior to 1960. Those designers tended to make courses that were along the lines of Augusta...you could hit a bad shot and be penalized for it...but you would at least find your ball.

Now the courses are designed where losing a golf ball is more likely. This not only costs more money for the golfer, but now they are more intent on finding the ball which means slower play and now putting even more stress on the free available time people have.

RH

Playing the game on your own terms is the anecdote to no longer enjoying the game.

Play 18, or 9 or 6. Hit balls. Chip or putt. Hang out at the club. Do any combination of these.

Like you, I've been playing for 50 years and I know I'm not the golfer i was 40 years ago (or 10, or 5, for that matter). I'm still in shock over how much shorter I am with all clubs now.

I love the game too much to walk away from it: A well struck/played shot is still rewarding.

Get out there & screw around! Just don't keep score (unless you want to, of course) :blind:

I will say that I believe one of the largest and overlooked issues today is the price of golf balls and golf course design.

Golfers that play regularly are drawn to the Pro V1 ball because it's considered the premium ball. Even if the ball doesn't fit their game, they still want to play it. Problem is that you're looking at $50 for a dozen....or roughly $4.17 per ball.

I grew up on older designed courses. Most of them were designed prior to 1960. Those designers tended to make courses that were along the lines of Augusta...you could hit a bad shot and be penalized for it...but you would at least find your ball.

Now the courses are designed where losing a golf ball is more likely. This not only costs more money for the golfer, but now they are more intent on finding the ball which means slower play and now putting even more stress on the free available time people have.

And I call BS!

While modern multi-piece premium urethane balls aren't cheap on their own - the mere fact that you can get more than a few holes (and in some cases multiple rounds) out of a ball today suggests to me that you're a newbie to the game, and never had the pleasure of thinning brand new ballata or scuffing one so badly merely with a well struck sand shot that it forced you to take it out of play immediately.

Going through a sleeve of ballatas, and sometimes more just because they became unplayable, each round was rather routine.

Are there courses out there in which a poorly struck shot into a hazard or the weeds results in a lost ball? Sure.

But I played many of the old courses you referenced, and just as many of them were just as penal to stray shots.

Now, are many modern upscale courses with tree-lined fairways and dotted with lakes and landscaping to make them more appealing to the eye? Sure. But there are plenty of dogtrack munis still out there, available to play at affordable prices, that are just as devoid of ball-eating hazards as there ever was.

It still comes down to the fact that golf has never been a poor man's game, and if you're hitting a lot of stray shots you probably should be playing TopFlites instead of Titleists.

A friend essentially did the same. It's hard for me to understand his or your position or how trying to play a challenging game ends up being torture? It sounds like my buddy's expectations; they are far above his ability. If someone has a difficult time learning, it isn't necessarily a failure. Its only failure when someone quits or gives up on themselves. It seems as though when people do the latter, it has a more profound emotional effect on them than they expect, especially if they have done that before in other areas; essentially accumulating bad experiences.

Then there's Charles Barkley's pathetic swing and ugly control, and NO teacher publically or privately has been able to help him. Yet, he hasn't quit on himself. I applaud that...

My buddy doesn't put the time in learning and maybe plays 5-10 times per year when I push him, no practice other than before he tees off. I will never see meandering down a fairway chasing a straight or errant ball as torture when walking or riding on a golf course makes life enjoyable. Sure I don't like hitting errant shots, but when that happens to me, it's not for the same reasons. It's my opinion some of us can have expectations others shouldn't until they have a steady game. :beach:

Precisely!

Golf went into fashion - and now it's going out of fashion and that's why fewer people are taking it up. As for people walking away, as others have said, it's a hard game to play to a level that's actually enjoyable to play, and that means to a level where you're at least expecting a bogey or better when you stand on the tee. Below that level the game itself simply isn't enjoyable. There might be enjoyable aspects to walking or riding around the course - the company, the view, the beer cart girls, whatever, but the game itself will be either a torment or an irrelevance. Consequently if it's not a fashion - why be there at all? You can get the fresh air, the view, or the company doing something else without the expense and frustration of losing balls or going OB three times in a row.

But for those of us who've played the game (off an on in my case) all their lives, or for the kids starting out who - along with their like-minded friends - are determined to break 100, 90,80, it doesn't matter how many others are playing the game. There's always be a track somewhere and like-minded people to play it with......

Hotter temperatures every summer, (possibly due to climate change), is a also becoming a factor now. The ever-increasing oppressive summer heat can take much of the fun out of playing golf during the summer months!.

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft