Thoughts on why people are walking away from the game...

I'm very fortunate there is an amazing amount of great courses in Northwest Indiana. But I haven't played on a weekend in the past 4 years. It's the slow play that keeps me away. I try to play every single day that I'm rained off of a job. Usually $20 to $40 I can walk all day. And I never have a problem when the high school golf teams are out there. They are courteous, play by the rules, and I could always make some extra money selling them beer and cigarettes. (Joking about the last part).

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time is obviously an issue. Playing a round is a full day commitment, packing the bag and car, driving, warming up, playing my five hour round and waiting before every shot, having a beer and meal at the end, driving home, unpacking, clean the clubs and shoes, wash my sweaty clothes, shower, and then say hello to the wife.

Money too. When I was a junior a membership was $150 and my parents paid for it. Played from 12-18 years old and loved it, just messing around with some buddies and the old timers hated us. Then at 18 and going to college I was broke and quit. Went to college for nine years, five years building a foundation for a career, started golfing again at 32 and I'm 34 now. Can't find anybody my age to come play.

People are walking away from the game because golf isn't that much fun. It's work. It takes tons of time, effort and money to play well enough to enjoy the game. In my case, I've been playing for over 50 years, and it's more of a part-time job than enjoyable leisure activity. I don't like the person I become when I play. Golf drives me into a concentrated head space that makes me difficult to be around. Sometimes I'm quite ashamed of myself. The notion that it teaches positive values like honesty and integrity is just a lie. Judging by the people I see, it actually teaches discourtesy, gambling and drunkenness. I wouldn't advise people to get involved with the game. Like an abusive lover, golf promises much more than it delivers, and the entire relationship is often toxic.

Why do you play? I've also been playing as long as you, and my experiences are just about opposite of yours. If it ever became work for me, I'd quit!

Mountain Goat: Yesterday I was trying to learn/groove a new wedge. Trying from 100 yards, to consistently drop a ball within a few feet from a small hole, because I want to. After about 30 tries, with eyes closed and head still, I visualized exactly where the ball should land, it did and ended up about 2" from hole. It just seems amazing to me that can happen at will. Then there's your attitude.

Adding on to earlier about the price points.. junior memberships were amazing to play up to x age. Basically half price dues, no voting privileges (but who cares you just want to golf), and plenty of free time in high school. Golf is a declining sport at least in the south east. I’ve seen more courses close in neighboring states rather than switch management. Investors are reluctant to put money in. Courses are slowly turning down quality. Now this isn’t to say there are courses around that are booming and making huge strides. However, the ones slowly closing are staggering.

In turn, this is causing the green fees to creep up. 3 years ago, I could play a decent course for $45 with maybe $10 on lunch and a beer. Now the same courses are $75 with $15 lunch not including a beer. The rising prices just turn many people away these days. It’s harder and harder to find people on the weekends who have a free day and $50 to spend.

Time. 18 holes on the weekend takes too darn long. I generally walk 9 in the afternoons at my local muni course when it is dead, but I would love to play 18 at some of the mid tier publics here, but I don't have 5+ hours (not including driving, getting ready, warming up, etc.)

Until you get to the really high end public courses, or private, pace of play is not enforced. Mid level courses need to get serious about pace of play. I don't expect the goat tracks to employ marshalls, although it would be nice.

Adding on to earlier about the price points.. junior memberships were amazing to play up to x age. Basically half price dues, no voting privileges (but who cares you just want to golf), and plenty of free time in high school. Golf is a declining sport at least in the south east. I've seen more courses close in neighboring states rather than switch management. Investors are reluctant to put money in. Courses are slowly turning down quality. Now this isn't to say there are courses around that are booming and making huge strides. However, the ones slowly closing are staggering.

In turn, this is causing the green fees to creep up. 3 years ago, I could play a decent course for $45 with maybe $10 on lunch and a beer. Now the same courses are $75 with $15 lunch not including a beer. The rising prices just turn many people away these days. It's harder and harder to find people on the weekends who have a free day and $50 to spend.

:shok: "Creep" up ???

That's a 67* increase in just 3 years. That's STAGGERING, not "creeping". Damn !!! :russian_roulette:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

People walk away because they lose interest. Golf like most things in life is a commitment. Whether giving up 6 hours on a weekday or weekend, that can be too much for people these days. Add to that the rising cost of everything else in life and not making that much more, disposable income is not so disposable any more. I think golf had a major growth spurt during the "Tiger Woods era" but now has circled back to those who really love to play the game and are willing to give up the time and money to play it.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Who says you don't have to buy new equipment, then who do the iron groove policy apply to? A lot of courses are ignoring the groove ruling so as not to pi.. people off. But the rule is there never the less, so don't say they don't force people to buy new equipment. This is an old trick to make equipment out of date.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Definitely time.

Cost is an issue.

But I think you have a generation of instant gratification junkies that all of a sudden don't get that even after they buy their new gear.

Golf is hard and requires perseverance...and dedication. Both of which arent suited to the impatient.

Titleist TS3, Evenflow stiff, 9.5, A1
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

1. It's hard. Most people never really get good at it.

2. Our society has moved rapidly towards instant gratification in all forms of entertainment.

Combine those two...

The younger generation is a bit different than past Generations, and you are right, the desire for instant gratification. When you mix that personality with a sport that takes 6 hours to play 18 holes, and the difficulty it is to be decent at the game, you have the decline in the younger generation.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

People can play 9 holes...it's not an "all day" event. But aside from that, what's happened is folks with kids can have STAGGERING commitments during the week, and especially on the weekend to shuttle kids from one sport to the other...then practice...then commit to $1,000's for equipment, then travel if the team advances. I honestly think kids are pushed way too hard these days, and the stress level of the parents, for which both often have otherwise full-time jobs is beyond insane.

Some of my friends have successfully gotten their kids into golf. Now that's not cheap either, but at least they hang together...talk the same language each day.

New generation of youth view golf and golfers as stodgy and rigid.

Proper dress codes, no music allowed on most courses, having to wear polo collared shirts, a rule book that even the pros can't quite decipher and on and on.

Lucky Strike bowling for those of you who know it got it right with respect to most of the younger generation thinking bowling is boring as heck. And how is it they are packed to the gills just about every night if the week?? They make bowling more about a fun event with turning it more into a party scene w great music, a fun and happy vibe and yes, there's also some bowling involved. Similar to Top Golf which took the very basic and somewhat boring world of driving ranges and added a pure unadulterated FUN factor.

If we don't change or at least greatly simplify the rules and make golf exciting or cool, we will continue to see less interest.

I think there are two types of players. Competitive players and go have fun players. To me, taking the game seriously and being competitive is fun and exciting. It doesn't have to be a party to be fun. I agree some of the rules need to be simplified. However personally, I prefer golf to be played how it was traditionally meant to be played. That is just me though. Different "strokes" for different folks. No pun intended. Haha.

I generally agree with you about how and why I play. Trying to shoot the best score I can under the rules is the enjoyment for me. The problem with tradition(as per my bolded part) is determining what tradition do you subscribe to? Traditions change and evolve. Anchored putting was ok for 20+ years, to me thats long enough to be traditional. The game as played by Nicklaus and Palmer was different than that played by Jones and Quiemet so where do you define tradition.

When I say traditionally. I mean the etiquette of golf. I think that the majority of competitive players amateur and pro alike play golf with traditional etiquette. On the public courses, not as much. Maybe they were not taught the etiquette of golf or care about the etiquette of golf. The etiquette helps to make sure everyone is playing under same conditions that is why the USGA has etiquette rules printed in the rule book.

I think its time and cost to play. Time is tough on the weekends. If more would sell 9 holes at a decent rate it might attract more weekday afternoon play?

There is really no reason to purchase new irons. Woods need to be updated but it makes more sense to buy the components and have the local shop put it together for 20 dollars. 600 for a driver? Ha. I have the best driver ever I had put together for 250 total.

Around here I have noticed the better ranges are closing down. Not easy to find quality practice facilities so unless a club member that’s probably not helping either. I seriously doubt Top Golf is bringing in a new generation of golfers. Maybe I’m wrong about that but seems like a circus to me.

Who says you don't have to buy new equipment, then who do the iron groove policy apply to? A lot of courses are ignoring the groove ruling so as not to pi.. people off. But the rule is there never the less, so don't say they don't force people to buy new equipment. This is an old trick to make equipment out of date.

The groove rule is the dumbest rule in golf. Change the rules because it might make golf easier for .0000000005% of golfers but cause confusion for 100% of people interested in taking up the game.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

The groove rule is the dumbest rule in golf. Change the rules because it might make golf easier for .0000000005% of golfers but cause confusion for 100% of people interested in taking up the game.

You understood platgof's post ??? :fie:

Could you explain it to me please ? :blink:

TIA

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Over-instruction to the point of "OH...FORGET IT". Keep arm straight...bend knees...keep head still....turn back...NOT LIKE THAT!...LIKE THIS!....now keep your wrists like this at the top....NO...a flat left wrist....now feel the weight on the inside of your foot..."what foot"...the RIGHT FOOT!...OK now keep your eye on the ball...important...then get that club "in the slot". "What's the slot?' HERE...right HERE! Now keep those wrists back to create lag...NO...LIKE THIS! Your P3 thru P6 needs work!!! "What's the P stuff?". The CLOCK you IDIOT!

Remind anyone of some idiot teaching them golf?

Over-instruction to the point of "OH...FORGET IT". Keep arm straight...bend knees...keep head still....turn back...NOT LIKE THAT!...LIKE THIS!....now keep your wrists like this at the top....NO...a flat left wrist....now feel the weight on the inside of your foot..."what foot"...the RIGHT FOOT!...OK now keep your eye on the ball...important...then get that club "in the slot". "What's the slot?' HERE...right HERE! Now keep those wrists back to create lag...NO...LIKE THIS! Your P3 thru P6 needs work!!! "What's the P stuff?". The CLOCK you IDIOT!

My wife has been trying to learn, and has taken lessons from a couple of 'teaching pros' who spouted all that crap. Didn't do her a bit of good. So I reluctantly agreed to work with her a bit. Two sessions at the range and she is now making decent, fairly repeatable contact with the ball. Some repetition and fine tuning and we can start playing together. :)

Teaching pros...

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.

I think teaching pros are at a disadvatage in that most people expect to pick up the game so quickly, and when they don’t, they feel they had a poor teacher. So pros don’t have the luxery of teaching a few basics and letting trial and error take its run. With a family member or friend you wouldn’t bog them down with too much detail. A work in progress would be understood.

My wife has been trying to learn, and has taken lessons from a couple of 'teaching pros' who spouted all that crap. Didn't do her a bit of good. So I reluctantly agreed to work with her a bit. Two sessions at the range and she is now making decent, fairly repeatable contact with the ball. Some repetition and fine tuning and we can start playing together. :)

Teaching pros...

There is a pro at the public range I go to who is the worst. He might know the game well, I have no idea, but his communication to the audience is awful. I have seen him give many lessons to beginners and kids which are overly complex. He used the word "spine angle" when teaching two 5 year old twins. On the putting green he was working with a woman new to the game and he was showing her how to hit the toed putter when your ball is against the collar. I haven't hit that shot once in 25 years of playing.

I think guys like this are the exception, but it is painful to watch a beginner get overwhelmed with the complexities of the game.

The groove rule was written in 2010, and still won't take effect for general play until 2024. Until then it only applies as a local rule, typically to very high-level amateur and professional competitions. If you're not playing in organized competitions, it won't EVER take effect for you. If you ARE playing competitions, I imagine you'll be playing something newer than 14 years old. And if you "walk away from golf" because you won't be able to play your father's antique clubs in competitions 6 YEARS FROM NOW, you're not sticking around golf anyway.