Thoughts on why people are walking away from the game...

5 hour rounds.

In a nutshell, yes. Golf just takes entirely too much time for most people with young families or for the attention span of the youth, and the old guys just keep dying off every year with nobody to really replace them. You just have too much of an issue pacing a group of 25 year old guys and a group of 75 year old guys. One moves at half speed, and both resent the other. I teach juniors each week and the #1 reason many don't come back or end up quitting is that it just takes too much time to play. Keep rounds around 3 hours or so and I keep the kids engaged and interested. Make them have to start waiting on groups in front or start creeping up on 4 hours and I lose them mentally. Bottom line, the game needs to speed up.

Nonsense. 50 years (at least) and counting. Their #1 reason for you has been their #1 reason "forever".

Of course it takes too much time for them to play - they've got to get back to their i-phones, x-boxes and streaming games and movies.

Kids have always had the attention span of a gnat,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and nowadays it's that much worse,,,,,,,,,,,,

I don't disagree with you, however, if we don't get today's youth interested in the game, it's going to eventually go the way of bowling in terms of interest. I know we all want to resist and say it's not the game but the people that need to change, but that's a death sentence for the game long term. I'm not that old, early 30's, however I see and know what causes everyone my age and younger to not be interested in the game. It's the amount of sitting around doing nothing while "playing" the game. I don't know what the solution is to this issue exactly, but I do know that whenever anyone threatens the status quo, the traditionalists jump right in with all the negative shoot down commentary they can muster. This won't solve the issue of young people just not having any interest in the game because of the time it takes to play it. As I've said, I teach kids every week and hear what they have to say constantly. When I was a kid, that's not the way we thought, however it's a different world today, and if SOME changes aren't made, we are going to start losing courses, practice facilities, etc...and golf is going to become Top Golf to the next generation.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but,,,,,,, that's life.

We get new course, and we lose "old" courses. It has always and will always ebb and flow. There will most likely be enough room for everyone and when there aren't enough players to support a course the course will die.

This is how it always was and how it will always be sans benefactors with disposable income in the millions (and millions) that want to see the game survive and thrive on THIER own dimes.

Just like how you run your own business.

Personally I don't want to see the game die a slow economic death and I think it's preventable with some forward thinking that doesn't change what the game is or what it represents. It will never be a game for everyone but we certainly don't want to see it become only a game for the old guys. My family from me on up lives golf but I can't tell you a single person in the family under 30 that has any interest. It wasn't like that in past generations and we need to realize it is a problem that needs to be addressed.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf is expensive, takes a long time to play, and is difficult. But all those things have always been true. People talk about golf declining, but I don't see it in real life. Courses are jam-packed every evening and weekend, weather permitting.

I think golf had a bubble from the early 2000's that needed to burst to get back to normal capacity.

One thing that I've noticed, is that kids don't seem to play golf recreationally. They either don't play or compete. I feel that may be problematic. When I was a kid (I didn't play golf, but lived near a course and several friends played), people played for fun. Kids playing with parents, kids playing with other kids. Messing around stuff. Now it's camps, formal instruction, structured practice, tournament play, etc. Golf seemed like it was more of an activity that a lot of people and kids just did for fun, than a sport to be focused upon.

I remember all sports being played by kids for fun. I did. Then the damn parents ruined everything. Helicopter parents living vicariously through their children. Screaming, yelling, getting into fights with other parents or the coaches. Really?!?!

Desperately hoping their kids will become professionals so they will support them later in life or some such nonsense. Whatever.

Kinda like forcing kids into structured learning at earlier and earlier ages, only to have them graduate HS and/or college dumber than graduates of 40-50 years ago.

Our education system was destroyed decades ago. Why should our children's sports be any different?

I'll get off my soapbox now and go get another cup of coffee... ;)

Athletes are better than they ever were and people are significantly more educated and intelligent than they ever were. Just saying.

Not according to the hard data/test scores. This is not news, and has been common knowledge for years. Just saying.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

In a nutshell, yes. Golf just takes entirely too much time for most people with young families or for the attention span of the youth, and the old guys just keep dying off every year with nobody to really replace them. You just have too much of an issue pacing a group of 25 year old guys and a group of 75 year old guys. One moves at half speed, and both resent the other. I teach juniors each week and the #1 reason many don't come back or end up quitting is that it just takes too much time to play. Keep rounds around 3 hours or so and I keep the kids engaged and interested. Make them have to start waiting on groups in front or start creeping up on 4 hours and I lose them mentally. Bottom line, the game needs to speed up.

Nonsense. 50 years (at least) and counting. Their #1 reason for you has been their #1 reason "forever".

Of course it takes too much time for them to play - they've got to get back to their i-phones, x-boxes and streaming games and movies.

Kids have always had the attention span of a gnat,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and nowadays it's that much worse,,,,,,,,,,,,

I don't disagree with you, however, if we don't get today's youth interested in the game, it's going to eventually go the way of bowling in terms of interest. I know we all want to resist and say it's not the game but the people that need to change, but that's a death sentence for the game long term. I'm not that old, early 30's, however I see and know what causes everyone my age and younger to not be interested in the game. It's the amount of sitting around doing nothing while "playing" the game. I don't know what the solution is to this issue exactly, but I do know that whenever anyone threatens the status quo, the traditionalists jump right in with all the negative shoot down commentary they can muster. This won't solve the issue of young people just not having any interest in the game because of the time it takes to play it. As I've said, I teach kids every week and hear what they have to say constantly. When I was a kid, that's not the way we thought, however it's a different world today, and if SOME changes aren't made, we are going to start losing courses, practice facilities, etc...and golf is going to become Top Golf to the next generation.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but,,,,,,, that's life.

We get new course, and we lose "old" courses. It has always and will always ebb and flow. There will most likely be enough room for everyone and when there aren't enough players to support a course the course will die.

This is how it always was and how it will always be sans benefactors with disposable income in the millions (and millions) that want to see the game survive and thrive on their OWN dimes.

Just like how you run your own business.

Personally I don't want to see the game die a slow economic death and I think it's preventable with some forward thinking that doesn't change what the game is or what it represents. It will never be a game for everyone but we certainly don't want to see it become only a game for the old guys. My family from me on up lives golf but I can't tell you a single person in the family under 30 that has any interest. It wasn't like that in past generations and we need to realize it is a problem that needs to be addressed.

The only constant in the Universe is change.

Enough kids will pick it up for its challenge and uniqueness,,,,,,,,,,,, or they won't. :dntknw:

Keep fighting the good fight.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Other golfers.

I do think there's a lot to this. With so much pressure from the industry to play fast (which makes them more money if we're objective) newer and more casual golfers are intimidated. I see it all the time...for all the "grow the game" rhetoric out there, I truly believe the frantic rush that some seem to bring to the course is doing far more harm than good. Obviously there is balance, but pace can make for miserable round on both ends of spectrum, too slow and too fast.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

When is the last time you had to buy a new baseball bat or glove?

What about a new football?

Maybe you need a new tennis racket?

How about a racketball racket?

You must need a better basketball this year?

NO? What?!?!?!

How do you expect the sports equipment manufacturers to survive? OMG...!!!

All I see is greed from the big manufacturers of this game. Many would say it's back lash from the tiger era...I say it's human nature unchecked. I pray bifurcation solves this problem...but I know it won't. Capitalism is kind of a monster when left to it's own devices...but I guess regulation is kind of a joke too. Hmmmm....

I get so confused as to why golf manufacturers think they need to put out new clubs and balls every year? Seems like a lot of effort for no reason other than profit. Kind of silly IMHO...bet they could be doing better things with their time and capital.

People are sick of spending $600 on a driver that doesn't work. $1000+ for irons that aren't fit right for them. Damn near $200 a wedge now?!?!?!?!

Mind blowing...

no one is making you spend money on new stuff year after year. also, there is very good stuff that can be found for pennys on the dollar is you are willing to look just a little. every hobby is expensive. generally all of it fall is the luxury item category.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Other golfers.

I do think there's a lot to this. With so much pressure from the industry to play fast (which makes them more money if we're objective) newer and more casual golfers are intimidated. I see it all the time...for all the "grow the game" rhetoric out there, I truly believe the frantic rush that some seem to bring to the course is doing far more harm than good. Obviously there is balance, but pace can make for miserable round on both ends of spectrum, too slow and too fast.

In my experience golfers are unhappy playing with or behind beginners no matter when they show up and often react poorly... like they have a grow the game somewhere else mentality.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

For one, golf is damn expensive. Even without buying brand new equipment, rounds and driving range sessions add up FAST.

Beyond that - and I say this as a guy in my early 20s - if you're young, you just don't feel welcome on courses. Especially nice ones. I can probably count on one hand the number of people I've been paired up with who aren't, at a minimum, 10 years older on me. Nobody blatantly treats me poorly, of course, but it's just a different world from that of a young college kid. The demographics of the game just get older and older, and it's not easy to get into if you're young.

For one, golf is damn expensive. Even without buying brand new equipment, rounds and driving range sessions add up FAST.

Beyond that - and I say this as a guy in my early 20s - if you're young, you just don't feel welcome on courses. Especially nice ones. I can probably count on one hand the number of people I've been paired up with who aren't, at a minimum, 10 years older on me. Nobody blatantly treats me poorly, of course, but it's just a different world from that of a young college kid. The demographics of the game just get older and older, and it's not easy to get into if you're young.

You hit it on the head with the expensive part. That is partially why I do not play nearly as often as I should. Also, the learning curve is very steep. Trying to actually get out on the course can be very intimidating when you are in the beginning stages. My buddy almost quit because he would hit fine on the range, but would panic whenever he got paired up with decent golfers on the course. We just went out and played a bunch of practice rounds towards the end of the day when it was nearly dark, so he could just drop a few and work on it. This is his third summer playing now, and he can hang with almost any group he plays with now. I understand it can be frustrating playing with a newer player, but without them there won't be as many golf courses eventually.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Yes, blame it on older folks. I could start ranting about today's youth and their shortcomings, but I won't go there. Personally, I see plenty of younger players participating, at least those with an ambitious character.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Young golfers, IE everyone under 40, need to seek out other younger players and not wait for them to come to the others (them). Depending on your social circles, it can be very hard to find young golfers and even then it's a mix of beer golfers and serious golfers.

I am lucky that not only does my wife play seriously along side me and she breaks 100 most times and plays all her holes into the cup and counts each stroke...but I also have friends from college that play at varying levels. Even then, I had to seek these friends out from a larger pool of friends.

Oh, and golf isnt expensive. Everyone knows about second hand items on craigslist and ebay and etc. Plenty of new equipment at Dick's and other big stores like Wilson and Top Flite to start with, for under $59 per club (in reference to the poster in here who said all drivers are $499)

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

You can get into decent (used) golf equipment for pretty cheap, but there's nobody out there telling folks how to go about this. Like a lot of things, it's easier to get crappy new equipment than good used. Only us experienced "savvy" golfers really get this and know how to go about it. There is a lot of marketing "pressure" to have the latest gear, too.

It is expensive to play a round. Sure, some courses have season passes, but that usually locks you into a single course (or, at best, two or three). Want to make it less expensive? Offer season passes that group many courses in an area together. This is what is happening among ski areas. But is this what you really want? I suspect most of the established population of golfers actually want fewer golfers out there - less crowding, less fighting for good tee times, etc... Can't really have it both ways, at least in the long term.

It's an uptight, rigid game and has some people in it that are equally uptight and rigid. Yes - it's also rich with traditions and those who respect what the game represents and has been. Both are true. It's inter-related.

While there is a huge contingent of players who play just for fun, don't keep score or only "loosely" keep score, there's nothing in the industry that officially supports that sort of play. The result is that sometimes those who play exclusively for fun feel intimidated. (I play both strict competitive golf and fun golf, and also experience this.) Those in the strict camp that say if you're not playing 100% by the official rules of competitive golf, you're not playing golf. Nothing takes the buzz out of a fun round quicker than that stickler who is all about pointing out you aren't sticking to the letter of the USGA rulebook and I'm left to explain to them that I'm just practicing and having fun.

Other golfers.

I see the opposite at my course. The absolutely glacial pace of play by the better players/long term members drives new people from returning. Long time players give off the "im better than you so therefore more important, stay out of my way" vibe.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

It was the same for the generations before yours. The older you get the more time and disposable income (you should have) to play.

One word........TIME. Everything today in life gains attention and favorability in short durations. Many existing golfers and newcomers to the game easily get turned off by a 4 - 5 hour round of golf. We are losing newbies because of this. I would like to see the USGA give money to public golf courses so they don't have cram tee times together.

There are many great points here and I agree with most of them. I've been playing since the early 60s and I still love the game. I think what we're seeing is what financial people call a correction in the market. the mid 90s brought us massive real estate development which created an over-supply of courses. That coupled with the emergence of John Daly and Tiger Woods added the increased interest level among sports fans that hadn't shown much interest before. Golf became cool. For the next two decades the sport and the marketing around it grew rapidly. Everybody saw the income generating potential and jumped on the wagon. Then; 2008 happened. The economy collapsed and so did Tiger. Those two things ushered in what we see now. I think it will come back some, but probably never to where is was in 2000.

Golf is very expensive and extremely difficult.but, I believe one of the greatest games ever invented. At 68 years of age with several physical issues my football playing, basketball playing, tennis playing days are over, but I can still play golf.

There are way too many vehicle options....what's the point? That vehicles are bad?

People buy a lot of crap they don't need. That's just how they are.

I don't think consumerism is hurting golf, although it is unattractive. It does make it unbearable to walk into a big box retailer knowing how contrived it all is. Sure, that element of it can dumb you down and make you OCD about having a bunch of useless, overpriced crap you don't need.

But no one I play with obsesses over equipment when they're at the course.

People shop because they're stuck inside, browsing a forum and sadly, they can't help but think about golf. If I could go to the range right now, I wouldn't type this or browse ebay.

I’m a big believer in the “that could be you” view on life. Whatever happens to someone else could just as easily have happened to you.

If someone walks away it’s because they’re burned out. So if you’re not burned out (now) just be thankful.

Sometimes it’s one thing that does it. Sometimes it’s everything. Inevitably golf requires a lot of investment and it weighs on people. And not everyone gets the same return from golf. Some people play the game with no one around. Some people play with their best friends.

Well, that’s not fair. So if you have friends who play, be thankful.

And let’s be real, golf is never going to be the most popular game because there’s so much about it that isn’t appealing from the monetary cost to the difficulty to the fact most rounds are a struggle. It’s a wonder anyone plays.

I quit because I wasn’t happy playing. I literally wasn’t happy. I was on my own in a new place working a new job and like a lot of guys I see, I was out there by myself. That put me in a lonely place I suppose. And I had come from a place where I loved golf too much for too long. Since the moment I pickup it up I hadn’t ever not loved it. When I started not loving, and actually kind of loathing it, I knew I needed to separate.

But I’m back. For whatever reason, I’m back.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Today's Kids see golf as another 'outdoor entertainment activity' but they are impatient and tend to demand 'instant gratification' from it. Golf doesn't provide that...you must actually be willing to work at it if you want to get better, and it's only then that you begin to derive a sense of personal satisfaction from it. Seems so many beginners these days lack both the patience and the work ethic the game of golf requires. They tend to become 'frustrated' and walk away from the game much too quickly!.

Perhaps it's due to this electronic age which has created kind of a 'video game mentality'; among our youth, and when it's not that, it's the obsession with facebook, constant texting, and other forms of social media. Today's Kids often grow up spending far more time with indoor video games than with outdoor sports activities that were so popular during my younger days. In fact, When I was a young lad, my friends and I always wanted to be playing some kind of sport outside the house, and actually hated being cooped up inside. However, obviously things have changed considerably since those days. Too many of today's Kids prefer being inside the house with their electronic games, going on facebook, or texting with their friends. In fact, many are completely addicted to that kind of lifestyle. No, it's not true for every Kid, and I do think most Parents encourage their Kids to get outside and enjoy organized sports to ensure they get enough proper exercise andalso develop the social skills and the sense of teamwork they will need later in life to be successful. However, given all the 'electronic fog' these kids choose to live in , it can be a real struggle for a Father to introduce his son or daughter to a slow moving game like golf. They tend to quickly become bored when they realize the difficulty and time required by the game, and as soon as that happens they go right back to their social media and/or video game obsessions..

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

People in this day and age don't have the attention span for golf. It's go, go, go. Where is my Iphone? I'm late, this kid as soccer, this one dance, this one swimming. video games, TV, blah, blah,

Played golf with a nice college age kid the other day. The first 7 holes or so were great we had a pleasant conversation, until some soccer game started, he spent the rest of the round staring at his cell phone trying to watch the game. I had to keep reminding him it was his turn to play, had to yell at him to drive the cart over to me as I was waiting for him to bring me a club, but he was busy staring at his phone while I was in the fairway assessing my shot. His ADD totally took over after about 1 1/2 hours, could not focus, then started whining when he didn't hit good shots. The last 11 holes were miserable.

His cart driving was so distracted he took the wrong cart paths, didn't remember where balls were hit to, and what was going on around him, it reminded me of a bunch of teenagers driving to school.

I for one hope he never plays again, the golf world is better off without him and anyone like him. Go play Top Golf, it's how his brain is permanently wired I think.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Some people seem to think of a sport like golf as an 'outdoor entertainment activity' and expect some instant gratification. Golf doesn't usually provide that...you must actually be willing to work at it if you want to get better, and it's only then that you begin to derive personal satisfaction from it. Seems so many beginners these days lack both the patience and the work ethic the game of golf requires. They tend to become 'frustrated' and walk away from the game much too quickly!.

Perhaps it's due to the electronic age which has created a 'video game mentality'; among our youth. Today's Kids often grow up spending far more time with indoor video games than with outdoor sports activities that were so popular during my youth. When I was young, my friends and I always wanted to be playing some sport outside the house, and actually hated being cooped up inside. Things have changed so much since then. Many of today's Kids prefer being inside the house with their electronic games, and can even become completely addicted to that kind of lifestyle. It's not true for every Kid, of course! I think most Parents do encourage their Kids to get outside and enjoy organized sports activities to ensure they get proper exercise and develop the social and teamwork skills they will need to be successful. However, it may be more of a struggle these days than it used to be, due to all these electronic (indoor) games temptations.

:golfer:

. .

I met a guys once, he was telling us how good he was at golf, we were all really impressed till we learned he was talking about video games.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Golf is a difficult game to be good at. And I think most people that enjoy it have taken the TIME to become somewhat proficient at it.

Many see golf on TV ad think " I'd like to do that" Only to find it takes a lot of hard work to become even an above average player.

If the average citizen these days has to work at something to be proficient, they're out in no time flat. That's the society we live in.

Not many young people have the patience to work at it to become an 80's golfer, let alone a low single digit.

That's my take. Places like TopGolf are just target practice, and I do't think the majority of folks who get introduced to hitting ball there are going to enjoy hitting it sideways on a real golf course where you lose balls you have to pay for......

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

A big problem is high-cappers / newbies play the wrong tee lengths. I've seen it a thousand times....A new golfer gets paired with experienced golfers and the newbie feels compelled to play the back tees. A newbie playing the back tees is like a pro playing a 9,000 yard course. They don't stand a chance of any meaningful success in terms of score...any improvement....just a continued exercise in frustration. That's part of the reason why there's a "Trying to Break 100" thread on another golf forum with like 153,271 posts that started in 2010.

In addition to improper tee yardage lengths, and as I've stated before, learning golf is much like learning the piano or guitar. Folks with average coordination can hit a few good shots in a relatively short time period...not great...but good enough. Likewise, most folks can self-learn to strum basic chords or play simple songs on the piano within a couple of weeks. But beyond that lies a "do you really want to continue this" moment, because the commitment required becomes painfully obvious. It's why folks quit all the above.

As for cost, remember, the newbies are asking the "experienced" guys for advice. You know the guys they're likely asking....the one's who shoot 100, but are experts in shafts, COR, MOI...and of course....get "FITTED". So the newbie becomes convinced they must go buy new clubs when they could test all the used sets for the same "fitting".. I paid $89 for a set of excellent condition Eye 2's....1-SW. Less than the cost of two dozen ProV1's.

I've been a member at my club for 9 years, and there used to be a bunch of kids that spent all day at the range, playing, and just hanging around the clubhouse absorbing all the pearls of wisdom from all the old geezers like me. These kids are now all recent college graduates, and just don't have a lot of free time. The thing is,they haven't been replaced by a new bunch of kids. I just don't see as many kids taking up the game. Soccer is big. Lacrosse has exploded in our area. Also there has been a big increase in travel teams, which extends seasons, and leads to concentration in one sport with year long training. There seems to be many reasons people walk away from the game, but the big problem,as I see it, is there are not enough kids coming to the game.

You hit it on the head with the expensive part. That is partially why I do not play nearly as often as I should. Also, the learning curve is very steep. Trying to actually get out on the course can be very intimidating when you are in the beginning stages. My buddy almost quit because he would hit fine on the range, but would panic whenever he got paired up with decent golfers on the course. We just went out and played a bunch of practice rounds towards the end of the day when it was nearly dark, so he could just drop a few and work on it. This is his third summer playing now, and he can hang with almost any group he plays with now. I understand it can be frustrating playing with a newer player, but without them there won't be as many golf courses eventually.

Where are you guys playing to say it's expensive and how much is that? As I said in an earlier post, 18 walking is $25-$40 walking in most of the the USA outside of major metros. That's less than $10/hour for entertainment.

Clubs are cheap also if you buy used and there is more inventory than ever.

Compared to other mainstream sports like snowboarding and skiing, golf is definitely significantly less expensive.

About the only ding against golf is the learning curve.

Where are you guys playing to say it's expensive and how much is that? As I said in an earlier post, 18 walking is $25-$40 walking in most of the the USA outside of major metros. That's less than $10/hour for entertainment.

Compared to other mainstream sports like snowboarding and skiing, golf is definitely significantly less expensive.

There's SO MANY sets of used clubs that were "fitted to the teeth" that are half off, or more. Don't pay the asking price because it's more than double what the poor sap got in trade.

Snowboarding and skiing ??? :swoon:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Snowboarding and skiing ??? :swoon:

Yea, I saw that and almost spit coffee on my computer.

To each their own though. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19