Thoughts on why people are walking away from the game...

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf is for retired folks with time to spare. I hope to be there someday soon.

Having just retired recently, and getting back into the game, I may have to agree with that sentiment. Being retired does give one more time to stop and smell the roses.

And more time to look for lost golf balls. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

Golf is hard. It is hard to just become proficient. Almost anyone can throw a ball, catch a ball, kick a ball, shoot a basket, even hit a tennis ball. But learning how to hit a little white ball off of a tee or the ground in the general direction you aim with the hoped for amount of distance. I have been playing it around 40 years and it is still humbling (though at 8-9 hcp I am considered better than proficient). My kids spent close to 3 years just taking lessons and hitting on a driving range before they ever stepped foot on a course - and then I had to teach them the rules of etiquette. I think most people walk away from the game not long after starting because they lose patience far before they ever get to the golf course.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

5 hour rounds.

Just had one today, being the weekend and the memorial weekend, It's not too bad !

I got in a 3 hour and 10 minutes round last Monday.

Always walked the 18.

Today, we had a group of young guys in front of us, teed off from the very edge of the tee box. The starter said he had played with them before and they "can" hit long tee shots. From what I had observed, they were just 15 -18 yards longer off the tee than us. One of the guy was playing the boom box all the way with rock and roll....

I love music, any kind except the ghetto rap.

But I don't want to hear any on the golf course, I just want to hear the birds and the wind brushing through the tree top...... Hated these whom selfishly imposing their wish onto the others. Wear a head phone !

Ah, ghetto rap.

I'm a fan of klan country, myself.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

So where exactly are all these people leaving the game? The local courses seem pretty crowded to me. Or is someone just making this up?

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

People are leaving because of cost and time.

At least that what everyone I personally know who has stopped playing has said. The cost of the sport is too high for them or they just don't have the time to spend on it anymore.

All of the courses around us seem a little less busy then they were the past few years. Not turn off the lights slow by any means. But slow enough that I don't worry about making our weekly Saturday / Sunday morning tee time anymore a week early. I can still call Wednesday and have no issue getting a early morning time.

New generation of youth view golf and golfers as stodgy and rigid.

Proper dress codes, no music allowed on most courses, having to wear polo collared shirts, a rule book that even the pros can’t quite decipher and on and on.

Lucky Strike bowling for those of you who know it got it right with respect to most of the younger generation thinking bowling is boring as heck. And how is it they are packed to the gills just about every night if the week?? They make bowling more about a fun event with turning it more into a party scene w great music, a fun and happy vibe and yes, there’s also some bowling involved. Similar to Top Golf which took the very basic and somewhat boring world of driving ranges and added a pure unadulterated FUN factor.

If we don’t change or at least greatly simplify the rules and make golf exciting or cool, we will continue to see less interest.

Proper dress codes, no music allowed on most courses, having to wear polo collared shirts, a rule book that even the pros can't quite decipher and on and on.

Lucky Strike bowling for those of you who know it got it right with respect to most of the younger generation thinking bowling is boring as heck. And how is it they are packed to the gills just about every night if the week?? They make bowling more about a fun event with turning it more into a party scene w great music, a fun and happy vibe and yes, there's also some bowling involved. Similar to Top Golf which took the very basic and somewhat boring world of driving ranges and added a pure unadulterated FUN factor.

If we don't change or at least greatly simplify the rules and make golf exciting or cool, we will continue to see less interest.

I think there are two types of players. Competitive players and go have fun players. To me, taking the game seriously and being competitive is fun and exciting. It doesn't have to be a party to be fun. I agree some of the rules need to be simplified. However personally, I prefer golf to be played how it was traditionally meant to be played. That is just me though. Different "strokes" for different folks. No pun intended. Haha.

Proper dress codes, no music allowed on most courses, having to wear polo collared shirts, a rule book that even the pros can't quite decipher and on and on.

Lucky Strike bowling for those of you who know it got it right with respect to most of the younger generation thinking bowling is boring as heck. And how is it they are packed to the gills just about every night if the week?? They make bowling more about a fun event with turning it more into a party scene w great music, a fun and happy vibe and yes, there's also some bowling involved. Similar to Top Golf which took the very basic and somewhat boring world of driving ranges and added a pure unadulterated FUN factor.

If we don't change or at least greatly simplify the rules and make golf exciting or cool, we will continue to see less interest.

I think there are two types of players. Competitive players and go have fun players. To me, taking the game seriously and being competitive is fun and exciting. It doesn't have to be a party to be fun. I agree some of the rules need to be simplified. However personally, I prefer golf to be played how it was traditionally meant to be played. That is just me though. Different "strokes" for different folks. No pun intended. Haha.

I generally agree with you about how and why I play. Trying to shoot the best score I can under the rules is the enjoyment for me. The problem with tradition(as per my bolded part) is determining what tradition do you subscribe to? Traditions change and evolve. Anchored putting was ok for 20+ years, to me thats long enough to be traditional. The game as played by Nicklaus and Palmer was different than that played by Jones and Quiemet so where do you define tradition.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Golf is an expensive and time consuming game. More and more households have 2 working spouses and in today's generation dad helps out more around the house. It's the wise hubby that doesn't go play golf every weekend. :D In addition today's younger generation just aren't into golf as much. Dern millenials. :D Oh wait courses aren't as crowded anymore. Love them millenials. :D

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Why do people walk away from learning anything that requires dedication and hard work? LIke piano, guitar, tennis, baseball, or even bailing out on a degree in engineering.

Golf does not require either of those. I know plenty of players that play less than 15 rounds a year, don't practice and still seem to enjoy the golf immensely.

Why do people walk away from learning anything that requires dedication and hard work? LIke piano, guitar, tennis, baseball, or even bailing out on a degree in engineering.

Golf does not require either of those. I know plenty of players that play less than 15 rounds a year, don't practice and still seem to enjoy the golf immensely.

I know people who play piano and guitar 2 times a month and enjoy both...there's a wide gap between dabbling for fun vs. wanting to reach advanced levels.

I know people who play piano and guitar 2 times a month and enjoy both...there's a wide gap between dabbling for fun vs. wanting to reach advanced levels.

I happen to play guitar... about 2 times a month would be accurate but I don't really enjoy it these days. I just refuse to give it up given how much time, money and effort I have spent and how much I enjoy music in general. If asked I can fake my way through some songs as once you learn a song it I is much like riding a bike. I very rarely run across a musician who used to be proficient at their instrument who still greatly enjoys the experience when their skills are diminished. I have run across plenty of golfers whose skills are greatly diminished but yet they still have a passion for the game. The difficulty of the game is NOT a problem IMO. In fact I have come across a significant number of players that get more enjoyment out of the game once they stop taking it so damn seriously. Your mileage may vary.

I happen to play guitar... about 2 times a month would be accurate but I don't really enjoy it these days. I just refuse to give it up given how much time, money and effort I have spent and how much I enjoy music in general. If asked I can fake my way through some songs as once you learn a song it I is much like riding a bike. I very rarely run across a musician who used to be proficient at their instrument who still greatly enjoys the experience when their skills are diminished. I have run across plenty of golfers whose skills are greatly diminished but yet they still have a passion for the game. The difficulty of the game is NOT a problem IMO. In fact I have come across a significant number of players that get more enjoyment out of the game once they stop taking it so damn seriously. Your mileage may vary.

Everyone is different...but doing anything 2X per month is not a commitment...it's a passing hobby. That's fine, but let's not mix striving to do something well, at an advanced level, with hobbies. I also know guys who practically kill me with bladed sand wedge shots who have fun...but I also know they wish they could play better, but for a 1,000 reasons they elect to not improve...so to me...golf is a passing hobby for them...something to do with their buds. Totally cool.

Everyone is different...but doing anything 2X per month is not a commitment...it's a passing hobby. That's fine, but let's not mix striving to do something well, at an advanced level, with hobbies. I also know guys who practically kill me with bladed sand wedge shots who have fun...but I also know they wish they could play better, but for a 1,000 reasons they elect to not improve...so to me...golf is a passing hobby for them...something to do with their buds. Totally cool.

Doing something for 17 times a year for 10+ years IS a commitment and is more representative of the average golfer than you are willing to admit. To play guitar for that many times a year, for the next ten years, I can easily invest $0.00 and continue on. Not very easy to do the same with golf.

5 hour rounds.

The thing with 5-hour rounds is not necessarily that people don't have that much time to spend in their day, it makes golf very unenjoyable to be waiting over a shot all the time. Is 1/2 - 1 hour a make or break length of time? Not necessarily, but waiting 5-10 minutes every shot gets old real quick. My round yesterday was 4:45 long, but I was in a amicable 4some and the waits were tolerable.

If you have young kids at home the difference between 3:30 and 5:00 does make a big difference, at least to me and Mrs Jeff

I have a 5 week old right now. Afternoon rounds and tournaments are not happening this season entirely due to length of rounds

Almost everyone I know who has quit golf it has been due to time commitment after having kids. Its almost 100 percent of cases at least for me

Put a Skytrak in the garage and just duck out for a hole or two during naps. That's what I do to keep sharp.

5 hour rounds.

The thing with 5-hour rounds is not necessarily that people don't have that much time to spend in their day, it makes golf very unenjoyable to be waiting over a shot all the time. Is 1/2 - 1 hour a make or break length of time? Not necessarily, but waiting 5-10 minutes every shot gets old real quick. My round yesterday was 4:45 long, but I was in a amicable 4some and the waits were tolerable.

If you have young kids at home the difference between 3:30 and 5:00 does make a big difference, at least to me and Mrs Jeff

I have a 5 week old right now. Afternoon rounds and tournaments are not happening this season entirely due to length of rounds

Almost everyone I know who has quit golf it has been due to time commitment after having kids. Its almost 100 percent of cases at least for me

Put a Skytrak in the garage and just duck out for a hole or two during naps. That's what I do to keep sharp.

As long as you are not using JNPG and building your own courses that seems plausible.

I just saw this on the news................... these people are leaving the game. Some look happy and others relieved.

I'm gonna go ahead and call that the best golfwrx post I've ever read. ??

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

If people learned how to build their own clubs, it would solve the gigantic equipment cost. I shudder hearing people drop clubs off at the shop for any work. It's so simple.

The only piece of equipment I bought was a $49 shaft puller. I literally build clubs in my kitchen. Oh and a $25 reamer since I use .370 often.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X