The Open @ Carnoustie (NO POLITICS)

Ralphyboy84

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said a couple of days elsewhere that it would be very interesting to see if Tiger still had it coming down the back 9 on a Sunday afternoon in a Major. Well, not sure if he did really because once he hit the front his decision making went all to pot when - at the first sign of adversity - he turned what should have been a single dropped shot at 11 into a double. Then rattled at dropping two shots, his swing immediately went all thrashy and he bogeyed the next. The result was 3 shots gone in 2 holes when it should have been one. But that's the pressure of leading a Major and he's out of practice at it. People say that Tiger will be happy that he's back and able to play at this level again, but I'm not so sure. He knows how seldom anyone gets to lead a major with 10 holes to play and and I think he'll be absolutely gutted that he's battled adversity for 10 years to get the opportunity and then messed it up when the chance finally arrived. That's got to really, really hurt.

After watching his press conference I think he’s taking it as well as you could. You can see the sincerity when he talks about just being grateful and blessed to even be playing in this tournament let alone have the jug in his grasps. He’s had to start back from square one and this was just the next step in his progression. Sure he made two bad 3i swings and played the wrong shot around 11 green but other than that he showed he is capable of winning another major. Hes disappointed for sure but I think he’s got the perspective to use this as a stepping stone.

I said a couple of days elsewhere that it would be very interesting to see if Tiger still had it coming down the back 9 on a Sunday afternoon in a Major. Well, not sure if he did really because once he hit the front his decision making went all to pot when - at the first sign of adversity - he turned what should have been a single dropped shot at 11 into a double. Then rattled at dropping two shots, his swing immediately went all thrashy and he bogeyed the next. The result was 3 shots gone in 2 holes when it should have been one. But that's the pressure of leading a Major and he's out of practice at it. People say that Tiger will be happy that he's back and able to play at this level again, but I'm not so sure. He knows how seldom anyone gets to lead a major with 10 holes to play and and I think he'll be absolutely gutted that he's battled adversity for 10 years to get the opportunity and then messed it up when the chance finally arrived. That's got to really, really hurt.

Solid take.

I thought the same thing, but he's not going to sulk about it. He's going to use it as motivation. Even in his prime he didn't get them all.

True, but that was because his game wasn't on or he had bad breaks, it was never mental. What happened yesterday was that he hit the front and stopped. Very un-Tiger like.

He has had problems continuing his good rounds through to the finish. I think this was just more of that, opposed to being nervous in the lead. Maybe som of both, either way it is mental. He will figure it out.

All I know is when Tiger started rolling I was freaking out. Got to where I was getting nervous on everyone's shots and putts -- this was a compelling final round.

Tiger:

• he still has tons of game.
  • I hope this round does wonders for his inner belief that he can still win.
  • His iron game reminded me of the good ol days -- how many great shots did he hit from 200+ out?!
  • Why didn't he use his 1 iron more? That one he hit on 17 I think was only like 50' in the air. Vintage stinger action
  • Can someone pray a prayer that will allow the driver demons to leave Tiger alone?

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant
  • Hope he gets his putting back on track
  • Hope these close calls help and not hurt him

Rory:

• He showed some fire and passion today - please keep this up Rory
  • Also, please keep working with Faxon
  • Keyboard instructor here -- learn to flight the ball down with irons??? Seems like it would be a useful shot for him to have

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude
  • Didn't someone in this thread call you Fleetwood of Nazareth?

Xander:

• Thanks for laughing at that child that started babbling. Funny moment there
  • Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

• Still got mad love for you bro

I disagree with all of this, excepted XANDER laughing at the toddler. Spieth, Tiger, and Rory needed to win this, and they all choked. They should be devastated that they had a major championship within their grasp and straight out lost it. Well played, Molinari. Somebody had to win it..

Really they choked?... WTF. So now anyone that doesn't win Chokes? Rory shot -1 for the day, hardly choking.

That’s right - he choked. That LW on 18 was pathetic.

Rose, on the other hand, lost by one, and there was no sign of choking. Get it..?

Brew me up a batch o dat moonshine, OB ; )

All I know is when Tiger started rolling I was freaking out. Got to where I was getting nervous on everyone's shots and putts -- this was a compelling final round.

Tiger:

• he still has tons of game.
  • I hope this round does wonders for his inner belief that he can still win.
  • His iron game reminded me of the good ol days -- how many great shots did he hit from 200+ out?!
  • Why didn't he use his 1 iron more? That one he hit on 17 I think was only like 50' in the air. Vintage stinger action
  • Can someone pray a prayer that will allow the driver demons to leave Tiger alone?

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant
  • Hope he gets his putting back on track
  • Hope these close calls help and not hurt him

Rory:

• He showed some fire and passion today - please keep this up Rory
  • Also, please keep working with Faxon
  • Keyboard instructor here -- learn to flight the ball down with irons??? Seems like it would be a useful shot for him to have

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude
  • Didn't someone in this thread call you Fleetwood of Nazareth?

Xander:

• Thanks for laughing at that child that started babbling. Funny moment there
  • Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

• Still got mad love for you bro

I disagree with all of this, excepted XANDER laughing at the toddler. Spieth, Tiger, and Rory needed to win this, and they all choked. They should be devastated that they had a major championship within their grasp and straight out lost it. Well played, Molinari. Somebody had to win it..

Really they choked?... WTF. So now anyone that doesn't win Chokes? Rory shot -1 for the day, hardly choking.

That’s right - he choked. That LW on 18 was pathetic.

Rose, on the hand, lost by one, and there was no sign of choking. Get it..?

But Rose also pegged the flagstick on 14 to a foot, otherwise he’s 30 feet past.

Completely agree. Better to be lucky than good. He still scores 4 on that hole without the luck. He hit a marvelous wedge on 18 to take the clubhouse lead. And before he did that, the lead analyst-in-waiting, Lehman, stated that whoever gets in first at -6 wins this thing. He was wrong of course, but Rose did everything he could to win it.

If I’m having a great round and finish it off with a birdie, then I’m clutch. If I’m having a great round and finish it off with a bogey, then I choked. It happens. Luck n all.

Saying one choked isn’t like damning them to hell, okay. My god, the way some of you guys react on this board it’s like I’m dealing with a bunch of emotional broads. Do you really act this way in conversations??

- I think he choked.

- WHAT??? WFT???? NO HE DIDN’TTTTTT

Calm down, people. It’s only a golf forum.

After watching his press conference I think he's taking it as well as you could. You can see the sincerity when he talks about just being grateful and blessed to even be playing in this tournament let alone have the jug in his grasps. He's had to start back from square one and this was just the next step in his progression. Sure he made two bad 3i swings and played the wrong shot around 11 green but other than that he showed he is capable of winning another major. Hes disappointed for sure but I think he's got the perspective to use this as a stepping stone.

I haven't seen the press conference so that's good to hear. Actually, I'm probably being a bit harsh on Tiger. It's not like he just folded up - he had a little off period and then recovered OK..but by that time the damage was done. But in the cold light of day there are far more positives to take from this for him than negatives.

Let's face it, he wouldn't be human if hadn't had doubts that he'd ever be in that position again, and to actually find himself there must have startled him a bit.

I don't like the excuse that people yelling mess up Tiger's swings. He's a little ****** if he's that sensitive. Isn't this the dude known for his laser focus and unbeatable mindset? How would a noise truly distract his swing which he has repeated millions of times by now?

It's all just a convenient excuse. I hit at the range all the time with people laughing, kids yelling, etc and I can focus enough to hit the shot.

Jordan is the big loser today. If TW shot a final round 76 after having a share of the 54-hole, making zero birdies, it'd be viewed as an epic, sad collapse.

All 3 guys at -9 faltered today... hardly a collapse when it blows like that. These things happen. When youve won a few majors you get some slack and tiger would get some slack in this exact scenario (3 way tie for the lead)

I don't like the excuse that people yelling mess up Tiger's swings. He's a little ****** if he's that sensitive. Isn't this the dude known for his laser focus and unbeatable mindset? How would a noise truly distract his swing which he has repeated millions of times by now?

It's all just a convenient excuse. I hit at the range all the time with people laughing, kids yelling, etc and I can focus enough to hit the shot.

He hit a pretty damn good shot actually.

Completely agree. Better to be lucky than good. He still scores 4 on that hole without the luck. He hit a marvelous wedge on 18 to take the clubhouse lead. And before he did that, the lead analyst-in-waiting, Lehman, stated that whoever gets in first at -6 wins this thing. He was wrong of course, but Rose did everything he could to win it.

If I'm having a great round and finish it off with a birdie, then I'm clutch. If I'm having a great round and finish it off with a bogey, then I choked. It happens. Luck n all.

Saying one choked isn't like damning them to hell, okay. My god, the way some of you guys react on this board it's like I'm dealing with a bunch of emotional broads. Do you really act this way in conversations??

- I think he choked.

- WHAT??? WFT???? NO HE DIDN'TTTTTT

Calm down, people. It's only a golf forum.

LOL coming from the guy typing with the most emotion. But I think the true guys who choked were Spieth and Kisner. In fact, DJ also choked after his favorite to win every tournament comment as well when he didn't even make the cut. Xander choked. The co leaders all choked when they couldn't even shoot even par. Would have thought maybe 1 out of the three could have. Fleetwood I was rooting for but he didn't play all that well on the weekend.

Molinari was a deserving winner, but the leaders more gave the tournament away as they all dropped shots instead of improving it.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

If I'm having a great round and finish it off with a birdie, then I'm clutch. If I'm having a great round and finish it off with a bogey, then I choked. It happens. Luck n all.

Saying one choked isn't like damning them to hell, okay. My god, the way some of you guys react on this board it's like I'm dealing with a bunch of emotional broads. Do you really act this way in conversations??

- I think he choked.

LOL coming from the guy typing with the most emotion. But I think the true guys who choked were Spieth and Kisner. In fact, DJ also choked after his favorite to win every tournament comment as well when he didn't even make the cut. Xander choked. The co leaders all choked when they couldn't even shoot even par. Would have thought maybe 1 out of the three could have. Fleetwood I was rooting for but he didn't play all that well on the weekend.

Molinari was a deserving winner, but the leaders more gave the tournament away as they all dropped shots instead of improving it.

FM deserved to win for sure.

Can't help but think that Xander could have won by two or three if he putted mediocre for the tournament.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Does this need to be explained? Why do they care about people yelling and not about airplanes or blimps? Think about that for a second.

Yeah but Tiger always acts so annoyed afterwards; staring into the crowd etc. Dramatic.

Did you watch the tournament? Did he even hit one really bad driver?

i believe unless im wrong he hit 10 or 11 drivers all week. i think 2 misses that lead to bogeys.. but under the gun he has no confidence in it thats for sure.

He hit it on 18 today. He didn’t hit it so few times because of confidence he did so because it was strategy not to. He hit it on 6 every day and OB is like three feet left.

Yeah but Tiger always acts so annoyed afterwards; staring into the crowd etc. Dramatic.

You must never have seen Monty play in America.

He’s a little on edge. Hasn’t won in a while.

Watching some of the replay...

My god shuffles got at least 4 terrible breaks!! Just plain bad luck. Really should’ve at least been in a playoff with chicco.

Tigers reaction to the fan yelling in his backswing is the exact way I react when i find my 2 yo daughter has defecated on the floor again trying to make it to the potty.

ashame the ignoramus who yelled in tigers swing may have changed the outcome of this event. Tiger ended up wiping right and ended up about 20 yards short of molinari and in the rough. He turns it over like he intended, and it's in middle of fairway and 20+ yards ahead. That means molinari hits first and doesn't have benefit of seeing how tigers shot was effected by wind and reacted on green. Seeing tigers shotbhad to help. We'll never know what would have happened otherwise.

Complete dick move obviously but it didnt change anything.Tiger hit a great drive and great wedge and molinari stuffed it inside tigers wedge. i knew tiger ws going to miss that putt because i saw Phil miss that exact same putt 2 hours back.When i saw tiger set up that open i knew it would be left. He did great considering how conservative he was. He played carnoustie like this in 2007 and 99.He had a plan and stuck to it. he played more aggressive on saturday with tame condidtions. He has a champions mind so he can manage his way around the course even without his a stuff.look at Phil. Played in his words bad yet still shot 1 under for the tourney.These guys know how to grind. Spieth is like that too. old school mental approach. Never out of it as we saw at augusta in the spring and now at carnoustie. he will have alot more kicks at the can

Come on man thats grounds for a punch in the face. Only clowns do crap like that no matter the player

Come on man thats grounds for a punch in the face. Only clowns do crap like that no matter the player

18 tee was one of the most egregious displays of douchbaggery involving Tiger that I can remember.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Because you hitting ball after ball at your local range equals 72nd hole of a major when its dead silent? Its a dick move and the guy should have been thrown in the burn along with his car keys. I dont care who the player is you dont pull crap like that. Security should have caddle prodded the guy and banned him for life.

18 tee was one of the most egregious displays of douchbaggery involving Tiger that I can remember.

It happened to phil and stenson a few years back as well. they gave death stares. Someone did it years ago to JB Holmes when he was playing tiger in the match play and tiger gave the guy the same look/reaction.

Scary part about today is the guy is a tiger fan!!! what an idiot...

^^^ I don't care who it happens to -- it's always a disgrace to the player and the tournament. Guy deserves to get his a** whooped by the closest pack of drunk Scottish dudes.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

After a long day I finally got to watch some golf. The suspense wasn’t there knowing the outcome but man what a Sunday.

Btw - what the hell was up with the kid crying while Xander was trying to hit his shot on 17. I have two little ones and all about kids but someone should of either had the kid moved or duct taped.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Probably read too many stories about how his dad would throw stuff at him during his swing to train his mettle.

It happened to phil and stenson a few years back as well. they gave death stares. Someone did it years ago to JB Holmes when he was playing tiger in the match play and tiger gave the guy the same look/reaction.

Scary part about today is the guy is a tiger fan!!! what an idiot...

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

- I think he choked.

Remember seeing Nicklaus once saying that he won most of his titles by simply maintaining while others fell away. Being in contention down the back nine of a major involves a different degree of pressure. That's how you win them - by resisting the pressure, and Frankie Molinari absolutely did that yesterday with his bogey free card. Under the circumstances and conditions he played one of the all time great Open Championship rounds.

- I think he choked.

Remember seeing Nicklaus once saying that he won most of his titles by simply maintaining while others fell away. Being in contention down the back nine of a major involves a different degree of pressure. That's how you win them - by resisting the pressure, and Frankie Molinari absolutely did that yesterday with his bogey free card. Under the circumstances and conditions he played one of the all time great Open Championship rounds.

That's very true. First Italian winner too. I've watched him play before and he is a very solid pro. Also came in on fire too 2 wins last five and two second place finishes. Playing his best golf in his mid thirties it seems!

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

ashame the ignoramus who yelled in tigers swing may have changed the outcome of this event. Tiger ended up wiping right and ended up about 20 yards short of molinari and in the rough. He turns it over like he intended, and it's in middle of fairway and 20+ yards ahead. That means molinari hits first and doesn't have benefit of seeing how tigers shot was effected by wind and reacted on green. Seeing tigers shotbhad to help. We'll never know what would have happened otherwise.

Wut? So Molinari was getting a Bogey from 100 yards? And that yelling was the difference in the tournament?

The blind love for a guy who sole reason he won't beat Jack is his own dang fault. Don't schtoop other women while married. Pretty simple really.

It worked for Arnold and Michael Jordan