The Open @ Carnoustie (NO POLITICS)

Ralphyboy84

All I know is when Tiger started rolling I was freaking out. Got to where I was getting nervous on everyone's shots and putts -- this was a compelling final round.

Tiger:

• he still has tons of game.
  • I hope this round does wonders for his inner belief that he can still win.
  • His iron game reminded me of the good ol days -- how many great shots did he hit from 200+ out?!
  • Why didn't he use his 1 iron more? That one he hit on 17 I think was only like 50' in the air. Vintage stinger action
  • Can someone pray a prayer that will allow the driver demons to leave Tiger alone?

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant
  • Hope he gets his putting back on track
  • Hope these close calls help and not hurt him

Rory:

• He showed some fire and passion today - please keep this up Rory
  • Also, please keep working with Faxon
  • Keyboard instructor here -- learn to flight the ball down with irons??? Seems like it would be a useful shot for him to have

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude
  • Didn't someone in this thread call you Fleetwood of Nazareth?

Xander:

• Thanks for laughing at that child that started babbling. Funny moment there
  • Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

• Still got mad love for you bro

I disagree with all of this, excepted XANDER laughing at the toddler. Spieth, Tiger, and Rory needed to win this, and they all choked. They should be devastated that they had a major championship wiyhin theor grasp and straight out lost it. Well played, Molinari. Somebody had to win it..

Not meaning to be sensitive or confused.....but what is it to "choke" ? Bad shots, missed putts and unclear thinking are completely part of the game....

THIS GAME IS REALLY, REALLY HARD!

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still gotta love the progression of TW... look out the rest of the way. As I recall he’s got a decent record at Midwest PGA championships (medinah x2 and southern hills)

Damn people have been saying this for two years. When’s the explosion of form going to happen?

Did you miss the fact that he almost won playin this course from 800 yards back of everyone else by hitting irons off the tee ? Its here. He’s 42. What are you like looking for ?

Key thing to your statement is almost...big difference. I mean how many times in middle school did you say I almost got to second base but when you finally got there it was so much more.

Fantastic tournament. Have to give credit to the R&A and all the folks who made this the success it was. It had it all: sun, rain, wind; a formidable yet beautifully set up Carnoustie; incredible competition. I realize many wanted to see TW pull it off, or Spieth go back to back, but Molinari was cool as ice. Awesome golf-a true major.

ashame the ignoramus who yelled in tigers swing may have changed the outcome of this event. Tiger ended up wiping right and ended up about 20 yards short of molinari and in the rough. He turns it over like he intended, and it's in middle of fairway and 20+ yards ahead. That means molinari hits first and doesn't have benefit of seeing how tigers shot was effected by wind and reacted on green. Seeing tigers shotbhad to help. We'll never know what would have happened otherwise.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

All I know is when Tiger started rolling I was freaking out. Got to where I was getting nervous on everyone's shots and putts -- this was a compelling final round.

Tiger:

• His iron game reminded me of the good ol days -- how many great shots did he hit from 200+ out?!
  • Why didn't he use his 1 iron more? That one he hit on 17 I think was only like 50' in the air. Vintage stinger action
  • Can someone pray a prayer that will allow the driver demons to leave Tiger alone?

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

Rory:

• Keyboard instructor here -- learn to flight the ball down with irons??? Seems like it would be a useful shot for him to have

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude

Xander:

• Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

I disagree with all of this, excepted XANDER laughing at the toddler. Spieth, Tiger, and Rory needed to win this, and they all choked. They should be devastated that they had a major championship wiyhin theor grasp and straight out lost it. Well played, Molinari. Somebody had to win it..

Not meaning to be sensitive or confused.....but what is it to "choke" ? Bad shots, missed putts and unclear thinking are completely part of the game....

I know. I know. But these guys are really good!!

FM didn’t seem to have a problem plotting along. “Choking” is all in the result, isn’t it?! Spieth did his best to “choke away the 2015 US Open, with that ugly pulled iron on the par three 17th, but as he’s proved to do time and again, he sank some putts, and poof - no “choke!”

Is no one aloud to use that word..? You start the final round in the lead and shoot way over par, especially when even par wins it for you... and... = choke. You miss multiple putts inside 6 feet = choke. You take the lead on the back 9, and then go double bogey, bogey on the next two holes and never recover = choke.

What’s wrong with “choking”? It happens on tour every once in a while, yes..?

If Tiger ever does put together a few years of consistent winning and a couple majors, I bet this spoiled “next generation” of golfers implodes when they get no attention or media credit for their world-beater games. It’s not just Tiger that used to make ‘em wilt - it was the whole world that was pulling against them, and for him.

ashame the ignoramus who yelled in tigers swing may have changed the outcome of this event. Tiger ended up wiping right and ended up about 20 yards short of molinari and in the rough. He turns it over like he intended, and it's in middle of fairway and 20+ yards ahead. That means molinari hits first and doesn't have benefit of seeing how tigers shot was effected by wind and reacted on green. Seeing tigers shotbhad to help. We'll never know what would have happened otherwise.

Molinari had guys in the clubhouse at -6 already when he hit his drive on 18. Was he supposed to become paralyzed with worry while over his second shot, thinking Tiger was going to hole a wedge?? I highly highly doubt that your scenario plays out sans the idiot screaming during Tiger’s tee shot.

Molinari had guys in the clubhouse at -6 already when he hit his drive on 18. Was he supposed to become paralyzed with worry while over his second shot, thinking Tiger was going to hole a wedge?? I highly highly doubt that your scenario plays out sans the idiot screaming during Tiger’s tee shot.

Grasping at straws. Molinari wasn't going to bogey from the fairway lmao.

Tiger:

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

Rory:

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude

Xander:

• Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

I know. I know. But these guys are really good!!

FM didn’t seem to have a problem plotting along. “Choking” is all in the result, isn’t it?! Spieth did his best to “choke away the 2015 US Open, with that ugly pulled iron on the par three 17th, but as he’s proved to do time and again, he sank some putts, and poof - no “choke!”

Is no one aloud to use that word..? You start the final round in the lead and shoot way over par, especially when even par wins it for you... and... = choke. You miss multiple putts inside 6 feet = choke. You take the lead on the back 9, and then go double bogey, bogey on the next two holes and never recover = choke.

What’s wrong with “choking”? It happens on tour every once in a while, yes..?

If Tiger ever does put together a few years of consistent winning and a couple majors, I bet this spoiled “next generation” of golfers implodes when they get no attention or media credit for their world-beater games. It’s not just Tiger that used to make ‘em wilt - it was the whole world that was pulling against them, and for him.

I hear ya.....I guess Rory played solid enough to win just doesn't putt well these days....yes uncomfortable golf and nerves get in the way.....this is the spectacle that is golf....FOUR rounds of grind....leaders rarely win due to a number of factors: self-imposed internal pressure, not getting that bad round out the way, condition changes etc,etc....mostly due I think to the pressure.... so I guess , if the inability to handle that pressure is called choking, then so be it!

What exactly is choking? Playing without winning? No No No!

That course was tough today. Greg Norman choked at the Masters is one of the few times I’ve ever saw a guy choke. Tiger didn’t even come close to choking today. Spieth? You might make a case for, but nothing like Norman.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Top win for FM, kept his head, and just played his way to the Claret Jug, TW still impressive, and oh so close ;) bring on the PGA

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

Wut? So Molinari was getting a Bogey from 100 yards? And that yelling was the difference in the tournament?

The blind love for a guy who sole reason he won’t beat Jack is his own dang fault. Don’t schtoop other women while married. Pretty simple really.

Wut? So Molinari was getting a Bogey from 100 yards? And that yelling was the difference in the tournament?

The blind love for a guy who sole reason he won’t beat Jack is his own dang fault. Don’t schtoop other women while married. Pretty simple really.

Tigers injuries are why he didn't get 18+

I said a couple of days elsewhere that it would be very interesting to see if Tiger still had it coming down the back 9 on a Sunday afternoon in a Major. Well, not sure if he did really because once he hit the front his decision making went all to pot when - at the first sign of adversity - he turned what should have been a single dropped shot at 11 into a double. Then rattled at dropping two shots, his swing immediately went all thrashy and he bogeyed the next. The result was 3 shots gone in 2 holes when it should have been one. But that's the pressure of leading a Major and he's out of practice at it. People say that Tiger will be happy that he's back and able to play at this level again, but I'm not so sure. He knows how seldom anyone gets to lead a major with 10 holes to play and and I think he'll be absolutely gutted that he's battled adversity for 10 years to get the opportunity and then messed it up when the chance finally arrived. That's got to really, really hurt.

Tiger:

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

Rory:

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude

Xander:

• Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

I disagree with all of this, excepted XANDER laughing at the toddler. Spieth, Tiger, and Rory needed to win this, and they all choked. They should be devastated that they had a major championship within their grasp and straight out lost it. Well played, Molinari. Somebody had to win it..

Really they choked?... WTF. So now anyone that doesn't win Chokes? Rory shot -1 for the day, hardly choking.

I said a couple of days elsewhere that it would be very interesting to see if Tiger still had it coming down the back 9 on a Sunday afternoon in a Major. Well, not sure if he did really because once he hit the front his decision making went all to pot when - at the first sign of adversity - he turned what should have been a single dropped shot at 11 into a double. Then rattled at dropping two shots, his swing immediately went all thrashy and he bogeyed the next. The result was 3 shots gone in 2 holes when it should have been one. But that's the pressure of leading a Major and he's out of practice at it. People say that Tiger will be happy that he's back and able to play at this level again, but I'm not so sure. He knows how seldom anyone gets to lead a major with 10 holes to play and and I think he'll be absolutely gutted that he's battled adversity for 10 years to get the opportunity and then messed it up when the chance finally arrived. That's got to really, really hurt.

Solid take.

nothing against him and wish him all my congratualtions for a sterling performance but i just couldn't get excited over Molinari's win..

my preferences in descending order would have been Tiger, Jordan, Rory and am ambivalent on the rest..

but--sigh--that's golf!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

How do you sat Tiger and Rory choked? They played their hearts out but made a couple of bad swings and, in Tiger's case on 11, a bad decision.

Molinari doesn't make a bogey all day. Give all the credit. Bravo!

PS....I'm sure this was covered, but after royally screwing up 11 why didn't Tiger hit driver or 3W on 12? Even if he puts the 3 iron dead center, he's still got a VERY long second shot and was starting to run out of holes.

Tiger:

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

Rory:

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude

Xander:

• Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

Well done, eb.

Ill look forward to the PowerPoint deck.

Just get a pic of RFs chick in there and lets get a con-call going.

Disregard OBbogey. Per avrag, "choke" is a notional concept and need not be referenced.

Needs to go back to Butch and get help with his confidence on the back 9 of any tournament. It has been a problem for quite awhile, not just in majors.

Molinari would’ve still won.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Let's just rename "golf" "Tiger". That way all the Tiger fans can watch Tiger on the Tiger Channel. They can see who the Champion Tigerer of the year is, and see who wins the Professional Tiger Assoscioation championship, and catch up with the Tiger coverage at ESPN ... Because face, that's a much more accurate description of what we get, and what 90% of fans want.

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: On a rotating basis
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

PS....I'm sure this was covered, but after royally screwing up 11 why didn't Tiger hit driver or 3W on 12? Even if he puts the 3 iron dead center, he's still got a VERY long second shot and was starting to run out of holes.

His decision making started going awry when he hit the lead and then it took him two holes to right the ship.By that time the opportunity to win had gone.

Solid take.

I thought the same thing, but he’s not going to sulk about it. He’s going to use it as motivation. Even in his prime he didn’t get them all.

Tiger:

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

Rory:

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude

Xander:

• Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

I disagree with all of this, excepted XANDER laughing at the toddler. Spieth, Tiger, and Rory needed to win this, and they all choked. They should be devastated that they had a major championship within their grasp and straight out lost it. Well played, Molinari. Somebody had to win it..

Really they choked?... WTF. So now anyone that doesn't win Chokes? Rory shot -1 for the day, hardly choking.

That’s right - he choked. That LW on 18 was pathetic.

Rose, on the other hand, lost by one, and there was no sign of choking. Get it..?

Tiger:

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

Rory:

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude

Xander:

• Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

That’s right - he choked. That LW on 18 was pathetic.

Rose, on the hand, lost by one, and there was no sign of choking. Get it..?

But Rose also pegged the flagstick on 14 to a foot, otherwise he’s 30 feet past.

Tiger:

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

Rory:

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude

Xander:

• Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

That's right - he choked. That LW on 18 was pathetic.

Rose, on the hand, lost by one, and there was no sign of choking. Get it..?

Not a choke - that's just how he plays all the time these days.

Tiger would have won if he could hit driver. When could he hit driver well last? Lotta burned edges out there on putts for several players.

Great to see Rory with a fist pump.

76 for Spieths gotta sting.

Molinari displayed his solid swing.

It’s gotta be different for Tiger-these guys now don’t wilt like the whole field used to.

Turned it off after Spieth kept missing. Good for Molinari. Tiger of old would have pushed the knife in deep and twisted-just can’t call a golfer GOAT who can’t hit driver.

Solid take.

I thought the same thing, but he's not going to sulk about it. He's going to use it as motivation. Even in his prime he didn't get them all.

True, but that was because his game wasn't on or he had bad breaks, it was never mental. What happened yesterday was that he hit the front and stopped. Very un-Tiger like.

Tiger:

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

Rory:

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude

Xander:

• Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

Well done, eb.

Ill look forward to the PowerPoint deck.

Just get a pic of RFs chick in there and lets get a con-call going.

Disregard OBbogey. Per avrag, "choke" is a notional concept and need not be referenced.

Allison is lovely, isn't she? Rickie scores again.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black