The Open @ Carnoustie (NO POLITICS)

Ralphyboy84

https://www.independ...n-a8459096.html

A spectator in a hospitality box was heard screaming just as Woods, bidding for a first major win in five years, went through his backswing.

Some witnesses claimed they shouted: “Free Palestine.” The offending fan then made an offensive gesture at Woods as the former world number 1 seethed.

Well that's obviously not how it was explained...

Just took a listen to it, and it does sound like that is what was screamed.

Whatever/whoever it was, they had a whole bunch of Hennigan's

OV9fpx.gif

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this one:

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Maybe it's true that playing with Tiger was less of an impediment to Molinari than it would be to a lot of people. Based on his body language and the way he goes about playing his game, Francesco seems to have a great ability to seal himself in a bubble and just do his thing. Kind of boring to watch but it beats watching YJS's non-stop histrionics.

Spieth once again "faltered" late in a final un major......starting to get the label of a choker....

It blows my mind that people think like this. He has won the Masters, US Open, British (best finish OF ALL TIME), a 2nd at the PGA, the FedEx Champ, 3 time Ryder Cup, 11 PGA wins, PGA money leader, Player of the Year, multiple Vardon trophys, multiple Byron Nelson awards, all before the age of 25. My God.

Yeah, that's just not the case. They had a graphic of TGC showing he's had 6 54 hole leads at majors, his previous 5 finishes were 3 wins and 2 2nds.

Maybe it's true that playing with Tiger was less of an impediment to Molinari than it would be to a lot of people. Based on his body language and the way he goes about playing his game, Francesco seems to have a great ability to seal himself in a bubble and just do his thing. Kind of boring to watch but it beats watching YJS's non-stop histrionics.

See I don't get the boring bit? You want to watch shots right? That striped 2 iron on 17 was awesome, was there a better long iron shot played on the weekend than that?

Because he's not shouting 'Forza!' after hitting it that is boring? ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

He didn't end with a bogey though. It was a mediocre wedge but he almost made the putt anyway.

Was it that mediocre, under 8 feet was it? PGATour best average 10 feet from 75-100 yards.

Rory was inside eight feet? I remember it being more like 15. I could be wrong.

Rory? Sorry I thought this was about TW. My bad. Rory was 10 yards away or something.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

See I don't get the boring bit? You want to watch shots right? That striped 2 iron on 17 was awesome, was there a better long iron shot played on the weekend than that?

Hey, I'm with you. I'm all for the guy who lets the shots speak for themselves.

But I suspect the television ratings would tank like a son of a gun if every tournament had a field of "shots speak for themselves" guys. Television loves the fist pump, the steely-eyed staredown and guys like Jordan Speith who react to every shot like a silent move heroine emoting over a dead lover.

But I suspect the television ratings would tank like a son of a gun if every tournament had a field of "shots speak for themselves" guys. Television loves the fist pump, the steely-eyed staredown and guys like Jordan Speith who react to every shot like a silent move heroine emoting over a dead lover.

As much as I like FM, I agree. He's a put-your-head-down-and-play kind of guy. He's not high or low. He just plays. People want theatrics in order to be interested in, no matter where they come from.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

When they show Molinari's iron shots on Shot Tracker in a regular tournament, they always seem to be lasers headed right for the pin. I don't get bored watching those.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

When they show Molinari's iron shots on Shot Tracker in a regular tournament, they always seem to be lasers headed right for the pin. I don't get bored watching those.

I've been aware of him sporadically over the years but have seen him play some lately on US and Euro tour coverage. What I wonder about is how he gets sufficient distance out of a swing that looks like it ought to sacrifice gobs of power for straightness and accuracy.

He's not the longest player in any field but among guys who hit it as straight as he does, he's very long indeed.

The only reason anyone is calling FM boring is because he was going up against "their guy" (TW, JS, Rory, JR, XS, etc...). Put a swoosh on FM's shirt and all of the sudden he's not boring, he's clutch, he's making every short putt, he's putting his irons in the right place, he's steady, he's cerebal, etc... FM is "boring" because his fan base is nothing compared to the other guys. Good thing FM hasn't spit in a cup in his past life or he would be the villain!

Had TW played those same exact shots and putts that FM did, the sporting world would be going nuts right now. We would all be talking about was an awesome display of control. Put a red shirt and a swoosh on FM and suddenly the story is how the wind was gusting to 40 mph and the birdie on 18 was one of the best holes ever in Open Championship golf. CNBC would stop talking about the market to talk Tiger's comeback story.

FM played so good yesterday I don't recall him having a single "stressful" shot other than maybe the 2nd shot on 17 because it was a long way from the hole, but he nailed that 2 iron. Did he have a tough chip/pitch all day?

Boring? Not even close. Clinical? Absolutely.

Spieth once again "faltered" late in a final un major......starting to get the label of a choker....

It blows my mind that people think like this. He has won the Masters, US Open, British (best finish OF ALL TIME), a 2nd at the PGA, the FedEx Champ, 3 time Ryder Cup, 11 PGA wins, PGA money leader, Player of the Year, multiple Vardon trophys, multiple Byron Nelson awards, all before the age of 25. My God.

Yeah, that's just not the case. They had a graphic of TGC showing he's had 6 54 hole leads at majors, his previous 5 finishes were 3 wins and 2 2nds.

when you dive a bit deeper and you look back at his US open win when Johnson 3 putted from 12 feet to hand him the win, you see that he took a double bogey on 17..if he hadn't won that tourney, his legacy might be very tainted by the media.... he is becoming a legend and these labels thrown on him are unfair. I just think the masters flop will forever stay with him in certain media circles

All I know is when Tiger started rolling I was freaking out. Got to where I was getting nervous on everyone's shots and putts -- this was a compelling final round.

Tiger:

• he still has tons of game.
  • I hope this round does wonders for his inner belief that he can still win.
  • His iron game reminded me of the good ol days -- how many great shots did he hit from 200+ out?!
  • Why didn't he use his 1 iron more? That one he hit on 17 I think was only like 50' in the air. Vintage stinger action
  • Can someone pray a prayer that will allow the driver demons to leave Tiger alone?

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant
  • Hope he gets his putting back on track
  • Hope these close calls help and not hurt him

Rory:

• He showed some fire and passion today - please keep this up Rory
  • Also, please keep working with Faxon
  • Keyboard instructor here -- learn to flight the ball down with irons??? Seems like it would be a useful shot for him to have

Fleetwood:

• Keep rollin dude
  • Didn't someone in this thread call you Fleetwood of Nazareth?

Xander:

• Thanks for laughing at that child that started babbling. Funny moment there
  • Dude has game a plenty

Rickie:

• Still got mad love for you bro

I disagree with all of this, excepted XANDER laughing at the toddler. Spieth, Tiger, and Rory needed to win this, and they all choked. They should be devastated that they had a major championship within their grasp and straight out lost it. Well played, Molinari. Somebody had to win it..

Really they choked?... WTF. So now anyone that doesn't win Chokes? Rory shot -1 for the day, hardly choking.

That's right - he choked. That LW on 18 was pathetic.

Rose, on the other hand, lost by one, and there was no sign of choking. Get it..?

Errr did you even see the end?..Rose lost by 2, exactly the same as Rory

Its not choking, its called not being good enough with a wedge, which at this level, compared to a lot of others, he isnt

So you’re saying that Rors, possibly the most naturally talented golfer on the planet, can’t hit a LW to inside 10 feet..? Oh boy.. Really? Listen, he needed to stuff that wedge and make birdie. He is capable of hitting that shot. Like Rose did. Like Molinari did. And countless others with less talent than Rory. He made a poor swing, at the biggest moment of the tournament for him, when a clutch shot would’ve given him the OUTRIGHT lead, and would have applied more pressure on Molinari down the stretch. He choked on that swing. And he knew it.

It’s cool that most people on here are buying the cheese and following along with the forced positive outlooks out of all these players’ mouths in post round interviews. You have to be a psycho to be the best at golf. Remember Nicklaus never missed an important putt inside 5 ft when the pressure was on. When reminded that he did...yesterday...., he said, “Noooope.”

Looking at the leaderboard, everyone except Molinari and Rose and drunk Pepperell choked it away. Don’t care what they shot on Sunday. They each had a really good chance to win it, and they wilted in the heat of the moment. If the players were real with themselves, they’d all be screaming that they absolutely had it in their hands, and blew it. Plain and simple.

The only reason anyone is calling FM boring is because he was going up against "their guy" (TW, JS, Rory, JR, XS, etc...). Put a swoosh on FM's shirt and all of the sudden he's not boring, he's clutch, he's making every short putt, he's putting his irons in the right place, he's steady, he's cerebal, etc... FM is "boring" because his fan base is nothing compared to the other guys. Good thing FM hasn't spit in a cup in his past life or he would be the villain!

Just a small point of order - he does have a swoosh on his shirt ;)

F.T.

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

I like it! Next time I go through a stretch of blocking it out right or blow one 50yds wide into a bush - hey no worries fellas I'm just savanting at the moment.

F.T.

^^^ I don't care who it happens to -- it's always a disgrace to the player and the tournament. Guy deserves to get his a** whooped by the closest pack of drunk Scottish dudes.

But apparently this only happens stateside... ;)

I believe Peter Alliss says what we all feel. what a legend

[media=]

[/media]

It happens all over....however the reaction of the crowd who were obviously around this guy tells you a lot. Just unacceptable. Im sure he was 'advised' not to do that again.

They keep using that excuse "it happens all over, in America too", however there were no yells in Patrick reeds swing at Augusta nor koepka's at shinnecock. No, yesterday was a deliberate act to try and distract a player and influence the outcome of a major. And it may have... Again, well never know. What do know is that golf js supposed to be a game of honor. That applies not only to players but to fans too... It's simply not possible to officiate everything otherwise and hence the game loses its essential essence. We keep hearing about the tradition and how it started in Scotland, and this and that, and yet this crap keeps happening there.

I think that's the only time I can recall...where else as I can't think of one in any major on top of his back swing??

Seriously? Boorish behavior has been a problem at the tournament for decades.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Just a small point of order - he does have a swoosh on his shirt ;)

Oh...oops...SMH

What a dummy I am.

I was confusing him with Xander and his three stripe shirt.

But my point still stands...only the people who like the big names more call FM boring.

He is a very good player.

1) Aren't the vardon trophy and byron nelson award essentially for the same thing (lowest scoring avg for the year)??

2) You should probably gauge a players accomplishments by number of starts, or number of years on tour - not so much age.

For example, in 6 years on tour, JS has had the lowest scoring average twice (which is really good).

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

I like it! Next time I go through a stretch of blocking it out right or blow one 50yds wide into a bush - hey no worries fellas I'm just savanting at the moment.

He sucks. You're right.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

He sucks. You're right.

{Spieths 2017/18 ball striking stats screenshot}

Yes those statistics totally helped him win the 2018 Open Championship at Carnoustie.

F.T.

Let's just rename "golf" "Tiger". That way all the Tiger fans can watch Tiger on the Tiger Channel. They can see who the Champion Tigerer of the year is, and see who wins the Professional Tiger Assoscioation championship, and catch up with the Tiger coverage at ESPN ... Because face, that's a much more accurate description of what we get, and what 90% of fans want.

Would work. Play jack re-runs and Phil shortgame instruction and you could sell plenty of ad space.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

He sucks. You're right.

Yes those statistics totally helped him win the 2018 Open Championship at Carnoustie.

Come on. If it’s ok for Rory to hit Driver so well and not be able to hit a wedge or putt , then surely Jordan can block a few Drivers right and miss some 5 footers without being “done”.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Had TW played those same exact shots and putts that FM did, the sporting world would be going nuts right now. We would all be talking about was an awesome display of control. Put a red shirt and a swoosh on FM and suddenly the story is how the wind was gusting to 40 mph and the birdie on 18 was one of the best holes ever in Open Championship golf. CNBC would stop talking about the market to talk Tiger's comeback story.

FM played so good yesterday I don't recall him having a single "stressful" shot other than maybe the 2nd shot on 17 because it was a long way from the hole, but he nailed that 2 iron. Did he have a tough chip/pitch all day?

Boring? Not even close. Clinical? Absolutely.

You do know FM has a swoosh on his shirt , right ?

The reason he’s boring is because that long iron he hit was around 215 or so with a touch of run. A 5 iron for most.

You can do anything you want. But a 5ft 4 Italian with no smile isn’t going to be anything but boring. And I admire the guy and have watched him for years in European play.

He hits it so straight because he’s short armed , upright and doesn’t hit it extremely far. Like Corey Pavin. Nothing exciting there. All that said the right guy won. Just wasn’t exciting. See. I’m being converted on the ball roll back theory. Funny how several already on the anti rollback Side disagrees with my take here. Hmmm

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

He sucks. You're right.

It just kind of sounds like you're saying a few bad shots makes him a bad ball striker. Which of course isn't the case.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

He sucks. You're right.

He's a good ball striker and above average in tour, but savant is probably not the best word choice. 14th strokes gained TTG doesn't get him to savant status in most people's minds.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

YJS:

• Ball-striking savant

He sucks. You're right.

He's a good ball striker and above average in tour, but savant is probably not the best word choice. 14th strokes gained TTG doesn't get him to savant status in most people's minds.

Dang it, 14th strokes gained TTG on the PGA Tour and still not savant status? That’s basically saying YJS is 14th best TTG on planet earth.

I should have said on planet earth YJS is really really really really good. But not savant.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black