2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

41 minutes ago, gdb99 said:

I have in the past played bigger heads. AP1, X14, X20, etc. I think I will order a TS3 and a Max 7 iron head.

I bought a set of ACCRA iCWT 95 gram stiff flex iron shafts. I will be soft stepping them once or twice.

I do like the idea of the Max head, just make them like you suggested. 7 iron as my 6 iron. The 26* 6 iron is the least loft I would want to play anyway, so that will be my 5 iron @ 38".

To be honest I hit my new PXG 0211 XCor2,  Sim2 Max 28.5*, or the STi2 32* (had built for my SIL) the same distances. 🤷‍♂️

Because of the shaft I use, I get higher trajectories and all similar distances, though with the new PXG's I went into a lighter graphite from steel getting a few more mph and hence about 5 yards more on the 6-7 irons.  Same distances on the GW-8 irons.  I'm sure it's all shaft dependent.  

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 6:05 PM, Popeye64 said:

That's huge especially for an iron shaft. 

Which is why I was shocked, especially from KBS. The whole reason I ordered the X was to get 135 gram shafts as I like my wedges heavier, probably would have just gone with the S if they weren't 125 grams. The built club feels good, now I just need everything to dry out so I can test it!

Played with the TSW wedges for the first time today and in very wet conditions, no carts at all. I didn't find that they dig very much, but I do play with the face open a bit on most shots. Hit two nice bunker shots with the 60° that spun really well, first one went past the hole but stopped almost dead on pretty hard greens. Second one gripped quickly too. The 54° performed well on a couple chip and runs. I'm going to spend some time with them on the practice green over the next few days to better get used to them. Overall, I'm quite happy with them so far.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2024 at 11:22 AM, AZstu324 said:

Hey gang, so im looking for a solid graphite shaft option for a 72 yr old with arthritis and neuropathy (my dad). Considering the 60-70 g range. He's currently playing he TT Elevate 90g R flex. I'm almost wondering if this shaft is just a little too much for him to handle. I know often times "budget friendly" and good performance can be hard to align but sometimes it's definitely a possibility.

I'm considering the M890 in A flex OR the Kuro Kage 2nd gen also in A flex. 

If anybody has any experience or input on these 2 or can give another sub $20 suggestion, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

Ultimately I'm just looking for something smooth, stable, and higher launch to help him get the ball in the air a little easier. 

Thanks! 

The M890 is a great shaft IMO.   I have built them in two different sets.  Both perform very well.    SOLID shaft for the $$

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bryceslu said:

@vandyfan I finally got to hit the TS1IM and TS4 7irons off a mat with trackman (with worn out balls that hardly had any cover left so probably disregard spin numbers). This was my first time hitting a ball since winter and my swing was far from consistent or that good. But it was a great way to see how they react to hitting it all over the face (mostly low or toeside).

The TS1IM had a little more of a click to it on off center hits and based on my numbers may have retained more yardage. Each felt really really good on center strikes (it only happened a handful of shots). I want to get on some grass/course time to get a actual idea of how these compare. If I had to pick on looks/feel, TS4 is a winner. If I had to pick solely on my numbers so far I would have to pick TS1IM as it seemed to retain more yards on all my bad swings. Honestly both really felt and played fairly similar off of a mat without seeing the ball go.

Here are my numbers with both - I hit about 10-15 shots back and forth between the 2 for maybe 60 total:

TS4 Averages:              
ball speed smash factor club speed attack angle carry total spin launch
122.6 1.35 91.4 -2.7 175.5 184 5946

A solid shot with TS4:

127.8 1.38 92.7 -2.2 182.2 188.3 6310 17.5

TS1IM Averages:

122.8 1.36 90.2 -2.2 176.5 185 5807 17.5

A solid shot with TS1IM:.

128.3 1.41 91.3 -2 186.9 194.9 5710 17

my results were similar.  TS1-IM launch high with little spin.  

10 hours ago, mstuewe said:

The golfworks catalog came in the mail today.  They had the new hybrid listed.  Looks very similar to the IST fairway woods.  I wish it came in 22 degrees or was adjustable, but I will probably pick up the 23 degree to compare against my ping hybrid. 

Can you post a screenshot of the page?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

10 hours ago, mstuewe said:

The golfworks catalog came in the mail today.  They had the new hybrid listed.  Looks very similar to the IST fairway woods.  I wish it came in 22 degrees or was adjustable, but I will probably pick up the 23 degree to compare against my ping hybrid. 

You can get it online as well.  

My question would be what would be the difference between the new hybrid and the KE4 Tour TC hybrid?  I may be looking to get a 23*-25*  hybrid to replace my 21* UW and 26* 2010 Cleveland DST 5i hybrid.  The top of my bag is too cluttered.  

Driver: 2021 TM M4 release, KE4 Tour TC 4W, 2022 Cleveland 18* Hy-Wood, 21* Maltby KE4 Tour TC Hy-Way UW, 26* Cleveland DST hybrid.  

It's odd that the new hybrids are in the catalog I got but not on the website yet.  

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

6 hours ago, wantacigar said:

You can look on the Golfworks website and look at the entire catalog in .pdf.  Scroll to the bottom of the first page

https://store-k9nvqai7wz.mybigcommerce.com/content/PDFs/2024 GW FullLine_cat.pdf

Thanks. Nice looking design and available in a 26° head.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

7 hours ago, Cwebb said:

I don't know why they continue making "tour" and "pro" type hybrids, with top lines that are set behind the front of the hosel.

Oddly their best looking hybrid for that aspect, with a top-line that is directly in line with the front of the hosel, is their value ST hybrids

That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw the new head. They just slapped the tour name on it. 

I joined the Maltby iron club today, ordered TS3 4-5 irons, TS4 6-GW.  I'm going to have some Dart V 105 F4 shafts pulled from another set and used in these heads.   Looking forward to them, beautiful heads.

Edited by Mike_C
  • Like 4

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

6 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

I joined the Maltby iron club today, ordered TS3 4-5 irons, TS4 6-GW.  I'm going to have some Dart V 105 F4 shafts pulled from another set and used in these heads.   Looking forward to them, beautiful heads.

Keep in mind, (I believe) they will play short based on a comparison of the shaft length in my PXG's vs my TS4's.

13 hours ago, Cwebb said:

I don't know why they continue making "tour" and "pro" type hybrids, with top lines that are set behind the front of the hosel.

Oddly their best looking hybrid for that aspect, with a top-line that is directly in line with the front of the hosel, is their value ST hybrids

As someone that likes to treat hybrids like irons and really hit down on them I actually love this about their Pro hybrids.  It's easier for me to align and really pinch it.  The first hybrid I ever really recall being like this was the old J33 Hybrids and I played the 18* for years.

Mentally hybrids with onset feel like they are made for sweepers and I just can't hit them.

Edited by achappy
  • Like 4

Maltby KE4 TC Max UST V2 HL Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW C-Taper Lite Stiff

Titleist SM7 52*/S, 58*/D DG120 Stiff
<Searching>

18 minutes ago, Cameron Circle T said:

Keep in mind, (I believe) they will play short based on a comparison of the shaft length in my PXG's vs my TS4's.

I had a discussion about that with the guy who I"m having pull the shafts and having the TS3/4s put  together, he may do an extension if its more than 1/8 of an inch.  He didn't seem concerned.....

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

6 minutes ago, achappy said:

As someone that likes to treat hybrids like irons and really hit down on them I actually love this about their Pro hybrids.  It's easier for me to align and really pinch it.  The first hybrid I ever really being like this was the old J33 Hybrids and I played the 18* for years.

Mentally hybrids with onset feel like they are made for sweepers and I just can't hit them.

Do you struggle with fairway woods?

"Onset" with a hybrid, wood, or driver would be the top line sitting out in front of the hosel, or more "face progression".  A more "neutral" look by today's standards, is the top line being in line with the front of the hosel.

It's the draw bias issue that so many better players have battled with hybrids, with the COG being further behind the shaft line....and why many wouldn't play a hybrid.  This is why we don't see it with hardly any of the "tour" type hybrids from most companies in the last 15 or so years.

Couple this with the fact that they design little bulge into their hybrids (more squared toe side) and it makes them look and play even more draw biased, for players who have battled this with hybrids.

33 minutes ago, achappy said:

As someone that likes to treat hybrids like irons and really hit down on them I actually love this about their Pro hybrids.  It's easier for me to align and really pinch it.  The first hybrid I ever really recall being like this was the old J33 Hybrids and I played the 18* for years.

I am more in line with this as I am steep/ish......but I just don't like the current line up at all from a looks perspective.  The KE4 Tour TC 🤮.  The STh2 looks ok but the fins, ugh.  The new ICT Pro is an improvement in the looks department over what they currently have.  They nailed the irons and are maybe starting to try and catch up with their woods and hybrids🤔

8 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Do you struggle with fairway woods?

"Onset" with a hybrid, wood, or driver would be the top line sitting out in front of the hosel, or more "face progression".  A more "neutral" look by today's standards, is the top line being in line with the front of the hosel.

It's the draw bias issue that so many better players have battled with hybrids, with the COG being further behind the shaft line....and why many wouldn't play a hybrid.  This is why we don't see it with hardly any of the "tour" type hybrids from most companies in the last 15 or so years.

Couple this with the fact that they design little bulge into their hybrids (more squared toe side) and it makes them look and play even more draw biased, for players who have battled this with hybrids.

I'm an excellent fairway player but for me that's a different swing. I will naturally sweep it more due to the longer shaft and due to the lower loft, the leading edge/top line difference isn't as drastic as a hybrid.  The issue is with the higher loft hybrids the leading edge ends up being way out in front of the top line and it's just mentally distracting trying to align.  I have had no more left "issue" with the KE4 Tour TC than I have had with other so called "tour" hybrids.

To me one of the best looking hybrid is the Srixon ZX. 

6 minutes ago, ode said:

I am more in line with this as I am steep/ish......but I just don't like the current line up at all from a looks perspective.  The KE4 Tour TC 🤮.  The STh2 looks ok but the fins, ugh.  The new ICT Pro is an improvement in the looks department over what they currently have.  They nailed the irons and are maybe starting to try and catch up with their woods and hybrids🤔

Yeah the new ICT Pro looks really good.  My only concern is the face height.  3/4" is a big difference for someone that's steep.

Maltby KE4 TC Max UST V2 HL Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW C-Taper Lite Stiff

Titleist SM7 52*/S, 58*/D DG120 Stiff
<Searching>

Just now, achappy said:

concern is the face height

Agreed, it's pushing it as I stated before.  Likely be a pass for me.  Currently loving the original 0211,s they are perfect for what I want.  If the ICTs had a taller FH I'd be all over them.  Currently also have the STiH 3h in the bag and that is perfect for FH.

40 minutes ago, ode said:

I don't like the look of it at all.  The face looks like a sideways spoon

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, achappy said:

I'm an excellent fairway player but for me that's a different swing. I will naturally sweep it more due to the longer shaft and due to the lower loft, the leading edge/top line difference isn't as drastic as a hybrid.  The issue is with the higher loft hybrids the leading edge ends up being way out in front of the top line and it's just mentally distracting trying to align.  I have had no more left "issue" with the KE4 Tour TC than I have had with other so called "tour" hybrids.

To me one of the best looking hybrid is the Srixon ZX. 

Yeah the new ICT Pro looks really good.  My only concern is the face height.  3/4" is a big difference for someone that's steep.

One of the really good ones with that design with the top line set slightly back, was the Titleist 585H.  They did a really good job hiding that look, with an unpainted hosel to head transition.  They also have a 12" bulge radius so the toe side doesn't look shut.  If I recall, the Bridgestone J33 has this as well

• Like 1

Almost all of the heads I've ever gotten from GW have been underweight.  The last set of iron heads I purchased (TS2) I asked for them to insure they were at least advertised weight or heavier.  They replied that there would be an extra charge for weighing heads, lol. 

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter