2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

2 minutes ago, Colej said:

5* bent strong? That may make these dig pretty hard? 

May not need to. The gap between my 4 and 5 iron is likely smaller then I think. I suppose I could just get the 4 iron. But I'd have to drop a club somewhere. 

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Nevemind. Apparently math is hard right now lmao.

Edited by Bobb3rdown
  • Haha 2

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

11 hours ago, woodriff said:

Yup. Love ‘em. Can’t find them anywhere, but I ran across a used graphite set as a backup. Terrific solid feel. 

The backs were a bit disarming, but a forged model with weights … hazaa.

The top line of this model is great, size ideal, a smidge of offset. 
I’d be surprised if Maltby didn’t resurrect something like this down the road in a soft forging.

They already have weighted wedges. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

What makes the TSWs dig so much . Debating about the Max wedges. Compared to the Ksigs they just seem to really grab the turf a lot. Is it bounce? Or just the way the leading edge is ? 

Though it has a V type sole the leading edge to the V of the sole is relatively short. The more friendly wedges have a longer,, more of a rocker sole. So even though the V is pronounced you are not benefitting from that longer continuous sole length. 

If you roll open the TSW just a bit it plays entirely different. Then it plays like a game improvement wedge. It's almost like a dual personality. Toe in or square to the target and it plays more like a players wedge. My $.02

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

What makes the TSWs dig so much . Debating about the Max wedges. Compared to the Ksigs they just seem to really grab the turf a lot. Is it bounce? Or just the way the leading edge is ? 

The main thing is the bounce. Lower bounce wedges, like the TSW, the leading edge sits flatter on the ground. The max has much more bounce, which slightly lifts the leading edge off the ground. The higher bounce gives it more of a glancing blow then a digging sole. 

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/Wedge article_TSW.pdf

this talks about the player that the TSW would fit ^^^^^^^

Edited by Colej
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 8:44 PM, Popeye64 said:

Though it has a V type sole the leading edge to the V of the sole is relatively short. The more friendly wedges have a longer,, more of a rocker sole. So even though the V is pronounced you are not benefitting from that longer continuous sole length. 

If you roll open the TSW just a bit it plays entirely different. Then it plays like a game improvement wedge. It's almost like a dual personality. Toe in or square to the target and it plays more like a players wedge. My $.02

I'll have to try that , I fight tight lies a lot with these wedges. Waiting for my TS2 7i .

On 5/20/2022 at 11:29 AM, iamlowsound said:

I just want to say that I joined this forum due to this thread and was convinced to buy the TS1 irons from all the extremely positive reviews here. I'm now four rounds into playing with the TS1s with the Score TT shafts (4-6 trimmed to stiff and 7-GW 1/4" past stiff) and they are amazing irons. I'm pretty steep and the soles glide through the turf with zero issues, the ball flight is easily manipulated high or low (I'm not good enough to draw/fade on command), and they are forgiving both on the toe and heel. Popeye has mentioned a few times that they really shine if you give them a little extra clubhead speed and I can confirm that while they are good at any speed, when I give them a bit more juice they feel and perform amazing. I shot a PB of 79 today and wanted to start again on one. 

Thanks to Popeye and everyone else who has reviewed and tested these irons, they really shine!

I have to agree that they seem amazing, though I may wait for the TS4's and the new version of the TS1's to drop before committing to a whole set. I have a demo 6 iron with a Nippon Modus 120X, and was alternating with a new PXG 0211 ST blade with KBS tour 130X. Probably just the shaft differences, but the TS1 was going way higher. SS for both was around 98, and the PXG carried around 201 on average, and the TS1 around 204. I'm thinking that with all that extra height, the TS1 would really stop on a dime on the green. Such a smooth feel to them, every Maltby head I've ever hit has been butter, but these take the cake.

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

Just bought a TS1 3 iron to use as a test.  If it works out, the plan is to use it in place of my normal 3i, either on occasion, or more than just occasionally.  

Probably going to put a Rapid Taper 95 in it, but also have NV95 shafts lying around that could be used.  Decisions...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

That 5 degree gap again, looks like the specs on the Max 6 iron are basically the same as the Tour+ 5 iron. The GW heads are one degree off.

I guess it comes down to the actual gap in yardage for the player.

• Like 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

In my un ending putter quest a forgotten build rose to the top.

Over the winter I built up a PTM-1 head with an RTI 105 shaft. The PTM-1 has a post neck so the .370 shaft doesn't readily fit. A piece of aluminum stock drilled out made for my adapter. Not as clean as I would have liked but it was just an experiment. 

Grip is an Golf Pride Tour SNSR. Built to 35". 

Between my Bettinardi, TM Spider and the three Maltby mallets I have one problem continued. I struggled to get a pure roll. Ball at times would jump up off the face and bounce of skid. Nothing seemed to cure it.  

In my pile of clubs my stepson asked what the hell this was. I had forgotten it was made. 

I brought it out on the Muni we play at and instantly had one of my best putter days ever. The ball leaves the face with authority. The roll is so pure I needed to back of on effort.  The sound off the Japanese forged steel is the sound of a well struck forged head. Though its muted, the contact feels soft and quick but distinct. Like a forged iron, that almost felt as if you didn't hit it.  

Today I brought it out to an Elite course that eats my lunch on the greens. Again I had an amazing day putting. Only 1 3 putt on a championship level course. 

A playing partner after three holes remarked on how the ball was rolling off my putter. He checked out the putter and asked for one to be built. 

My putter quest has ended for good. On a very Un likely champion. 

20220525_163122.jpg

20220525_163108.jpg

20220525_163101.jpg

20220525_163056.jpg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

In my un ending putter quest a forgotten build rose to the top.

Over the winter I built up a PTM-1 head with an RTI 105 shaft. The PTM-1 has a post neck so the .370 shaft doesn't readily fit. A piece of aluminum stock drilled out made for my adapter. Not as clean as I would have liked but it was just an experiment. 

Grip is an Golf Pride Tour SNSR. Built to 35". 

Between my Bettinardi, TM Spider and the three Maltby mallets I have one problem continued. I struggled to get a pure roll. Ball at times would jump up off the face and bounce of skid. Nothing seemed to cure it.  

In my pile of clubs my stepson asked what the hell this was. I had forgotten it was made. 

I brought it out on the Muni we play at and instantly had one of my best putter days ever. The ball leaves the face with authority. The roll is so pure I needed to back of on effort.  The sound off the Japanese forged steel is the sound of a well struck forged head. Though its muted, the contact feels soft and quick but distinct. Like a forged iron, that almost felt as if you didn't hit it.  

Today I brought it out to an Elite course that eats my lunch on the greens. Again I had an amazing day putting. Only 1 3 putt on a championship level course. 

A playing partner after three holes remarked on how the ball was rolling off my putter. He checked out the putter and asked for one to be built. 

My putter quest has ended for good. On a very Un likely champion. 

20220525_163122.jpg

20220525_163108.jpg

20220525_163101.jpg

20220525_163056.jpg

Have you measured the actual lofts of all your putters clamped in a spec gauge?  In other words, not just measuring the "face loft" of the heads alone,... but the actual effective lofts with the shafts installed and the face squared up in a gauge

Just now, Cwebb said:

Have you measured the actual lofts of all your putters clamped in a spec gauge?  In other words, not just measuring the "face loft" of the heads alone,... but the actual effective lofts with the shafts installed and the face squared up in a gauge

No I have not. I would have to build a jig. But having a few OEM putters on hand I would think that I wouldn't have a loft issue. 

It would be interesting to measure the PTM-1 against the others. The way this is rolling the ball it's night and day better. 

2 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

No I have not. I would have to build a jig. But having a few OEM putters on hand I would think that I wouldn't have a loft issue. 

It would be interesting to measure the PTM-1 against the others. The way this is rolling the ball it's night and day better. 

If one putter has a 1.5-2* difference in actual effective loft, in can definitely be an issue.  This can happen through the manufacturing tolerance combined with the exact angle that a double or single bend shaft is installed

On 5/25/2022 at 1:46 PM, gioreeko said:

I have to agree that they seem amazing, though I may wait for the TS4's and the new version of the TS1's to drop before committing to a whole set. I have a demo 6 iron with a Nippon Modus 120X, and was alternating with a new PXG 0211 ST blade with KBS tour 130X. Probably just the shaft differences, but the TS1 was going way higher. SS for both was around 98, and the PXG carried around 201 on average, and the TS1 around 204. I'm thinking that with all that extra height, the TS1 would really stop on a dime on the green. Such a smooth feel to them, every Maltby head I've ever hit has been butter, but these take the cake.

The TS1 irons do launch high, I've had mine launching as high as 23° with a seven iron in a simulator but the great thing about them is that they are also very easy to flight low if needed just by playing the ball back a bit further. They do stop fast when I actually hit the green. 

• Like 2