2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland Trip - Preparing your game??

Headed out wednesday, Carnoustie saturday. Can't wait to get demolished by that course!!!

Can't get anything done I'm so excited. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Amazing !! Very happy and excited for you as Well !!

I had a great weekend comparing My carnoustie score card / stroke saver and pin positions with those of this weekend

You Will have a great time !!!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the 25th of this month me and my pop will be making the trip over the pond to Scotland :slow_en: . We'll be playing Trump International, Carnoustie, St Andrews (on ballot), Nairn, and Royal Dornoch. I've read pretty extensively through most of these threads.

I'm a bit of a range rat as I've done some pretty extensive prep for tournaments in the past. As we all know, it's an entirely different game over there. I know all of my game should be in shape, but aside from putting and ball flight, what part(s) of my game should I really focus on? Just those? I want to be as prepared as possible to get the most out of this trip, as I probably wont be making it back for at least 10 years.

On the 25th of this month me and my pop will be making the trip over the pond to Scotland :slow_en: . We'll be playing Trump International, Carnoustie, St Andrews (on ballot), Nairn, and Royal Dornoch. I've read pretty extensively through most of these threads.

I'm a bit of a range rat as I've done some pretty extensive prep for tournaments in the past. As we all know, it's an entirely different game over there. I know all of my game should be in shape, but aside from putting and ball flight, what part(s) of my game should I really focus on? Just those? I want to be as prepared as possible to get the most out of this trip, as I probably wont be making it back for at least 10 years.

Trip Will be amazing experience !!

Are you and your father staying in St Andrews ?

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Yes, we'll be there for 3 or 4 days staying at Rusacks.

Any recommendations?

Any recommendations?

I have a lot of them :-) !

I will post later !!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Any recommendations?

I like cask ale/real ale :) If you don't like beer, this won't be of help, but if you do, if you get to these 5 pubs you'll have a great sampling of beers on offer in that neck of the woods, in some cool old spots, and also avoid some of the more golfer-centric spots:

https://goo.gl/maps/yTXmzbz1Mf52

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Any recommendations?

I have a lot of them :-) !

I will post later !!

I just saw , YOU ARE LEAVING TODAY??

Very excited for you that you will be there soon :-)

1. For drinks, it's a cliché but I really liked The Dunvegan ( 2 mins walk of the Russacks entrance) and the Jigger inn next to the 17 th hole, as well the road hole bar of the Old course hotel ( very impressive for a last drink before bed when the buildings are lit and the old course in the moonlight , and its also open to non hotel residents after the jigger in closes :-) )

2. For dinner , little italy and sea food restaurant, a little walk away , you should call in front for reservations

3. play the st andrews ladies putting course, two minutes walk from Russacks, next to the 2nd tee of the old course ( also open on Sunday)

4. For the Wrx'er Auchterlonies and Auchterlonies pre owned , great golfstore :-) ( on the other side of the street of Dunvegan)

5. MOST IMPORTANT : enjoy every minute in st andrews, walk around and feast your eyes!!!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

I found the Whey Pat pretty easily, we didn't really have time to take it in for an evening, would have enjoyed more time there.

Monday afternoon, after we'd played the New Course and lunched at the waffle place and gone all over town, we were walking past the Dunvegan and for the first time there weren't crowds of people hanging about (had wedged in once just to see it, but no room and rest of the time people everywhere so just kept passing it by). Just a few folks in there and nice and quiet, so we enjoyed some refreshment and relaxed for a bit. Took the time to look over the photos, that was pretty neat and wouldn't have gotten close to them the other times we were near the place. Bought what the family wanted for drinks, got myself a nice scotch and apparently tipped the barman more than he expected, because after my whisky I asked one of my daughter's if she'd go get me a Coke and the guy told her it was on the house because of her dad's tip - pleasant surprise.

Oldest and I stopped in the Jigger Inn on Sunday just to look about (just climbed over the wall from the course). I really liked it, but it wasn't cocktail time and we agreed if it had been a colder, blustery day and evening with a nice fire, it would have been a cool place, but it was pretty warm and nothing about the inside or outside patio had us feeling the need to stay (and we were excited to get back out on the course and explore).

Best bar experiences for us were the whisky bar at the Dornoch Castle Hotel and the clubhouse at Royal Dornoch and the pub room at the Glenfinnnan House Hotel (recommend highly for food and drink).

I found the Whey Pat pretty easily, we didn't really have time to take it in for an evening, would have enjoyed more time there.

Monday afternoon, after we'd played the New Course and lunched at the waffle place and gone all over town, we were walking past the Dunvegan and for the first time there weren't crowds of people hanging about (had wedged in once just to see it, but no room and rest of the time people everywhere so just kept passing it by). Just a few folks in there and nice and quiet, so we enjoyed some refreshment and relaxed for a bit. Took the time to look over the photos, that was pretty neat and wouldn't have gotten close to them the other times we were near the place. Bought what the family wanted for drinks, got myself a nice scotch and apparently tipped the barman more than he expected, because after my whisky I asked one of my daughter's if she'd go get me a Coke and the guy told her it was on the house because of her dad's tip - pleasant surprise.

Oldest and I stopped in the Jigger Inn on Sunday just to look about (just climbed over the wall from the course). I really liked it, but it wasn't cocktail time and we agreed if it had been a colder, blustery day and evening with a nice fire, it would have been a cool place, but it was pretty warm and nothing about the inside or outside patio had us feeling the need to stay (and we were excited to get back out on the course and explore).

Best bar experiences for us were the whisky bar at the Dornoch Castle Hotel and the clubhouse at Royal Dornoch and the pub room at the Glenfinnnan House Hotel (recommend highly for food and drink).

Great advice as always Mister Hawkeye!

Looking at All the foto's @ Dunny's is great indeed, and a perfect after lunch / afternoon thing to do / to relax after stroling through town.

I'm with you as Well that the jigger inn Has a more evening atmosphere inside ( we went there for 2 evenings after dinner before doing the Road hole bar) / and indeed on a Sunday @ the old course you just want to look / strole about as much as you can!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Hope the trip is off to a safe start and hope you get on the Old Course.

One good way to prepare your game would be to watch the Senior Open! Sitting here this morning is bringing back some great memories from just a few weeks ago and they've shown a couple of good views of a couple holes, really hope they continue to show the course more and keep explaining some of the strategies, and not just show iron shots, balls landing and putts. Good opportunity to see some good stuff if they outline/discuss some of the holes. Even my wife said she'll be excited to see if they show play on 5, lol, because she parred it!

It is fun to watch the compare how the guys are doing compared to when we played, and having only played it the one time, some holes are just plain hard to remember, so fun getting reacquainted. Did I say fun?

Hope the trip is off to a safe start and hope you get on the Old Course.

One good way to prepare your game would be to watch the Senior Open! Sitting here this morning is bringing back some great memories from just a few weeks ago and they've shown a couple of good views of a couple holes, really hope they continue to show the course more and keep explaining some of the strategies, and not just show iron shots, balls landing and putts. Good opportunity to see some good stuff if they outline/discuss some of the holes. Even my wife said she'll be excited to see if they show play on 5, lol, because she parred it!

It is fun to watch the compare how the guys are doing compared to when we played, and having only played it the one time, some holes are just plain hard to remember, so fun getting reacquainted. Did I say fun?

I had Exactly the Same fun ? Experience When watching the Open at Carnoustie last week ?

Totally get What you mean ! Great !

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Coverage has been awesome so far. Have loved watching Gullane, Carnoustie and now the OC the last few weeks!

I leave a week from tomorrow, have spent the last couple days scratching stuff off the packing list and trying to pack lighter. Hopefully I dont jinx myself but I'm leaving the umbrella at home.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Great advice as always Mister Hawkeye!

Looking at All the foto's @ Dunny's is great indeed, and a perfect after lunch / afternoon thing to do / to relax after stroling through town.

I'm with you as Well that the jigger inn Has a more evening atmosphere inside ( we went there for 2 evenings after dinner before doing the Road hole bar) / and indeed on a Sunday @ the old course you just want to look / strole about as much as you can!

The advice of a novice for sure, our first trip there, but already scheming how to get back and maybe next year!

Again, as with my thread, sorry about the quality of the pics from resizing, but here is the Dunvegan from that Monday afternoon. You can just see my man Stenson top middle of the ceiling, lol. Will take Dave's advice the next time and spend more time/evening at the Whey Pat and hope for an evening suitable for the Jigger Inn. If the Dunvegan is crowded, and it seemed too loud and bustling and overflowing every time but this one, it's just a little too much for me.

Coverage has been awesome so far. Have loved watching Gullane, Carnoustie and now the OC the last few weeks!

I leave a week from tomorrow, have spent the last couple days scratching stuff off the packing list and trying to pack lighter. Hopefully I dont jinx myself but I'm leaving the umbrella at home.

LOL! Always leave the umbrella - as it's cumbersome/takes up space in the clubglove travel bag - you can stop at a Sports Direct once you're there and get a decent golf umbrella for a fiver or a fancy double-vent one for 10 pounds.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

LOL! Always leave the umbrella - as it's cumbersome/takes up space in the clubglove travel bad - you can stop at a Sports Direct once you're there and get a decent golf umbrella for a fiver or a fancy double-vent one for 10 pounds.

Have a great trip! We could have left our raingear at home when we went, lol, as it turned out just because we were lucky with the weather. I read so many things about umbrellas not being useful because of wind, didn't even think about taking one, but absent a lot of wind, if it was raining I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

Obviously, you are an experienced campaigner.

St. Andrews and Gullane double header on TV this week.

Funny with the tipping story. You do realize no one tips for drinks in Scotland.

To me forgans is the best food for the money. That’s the place most folk I know eat on a random night down there.

Interesting with the weather, I have been in Houston for three weeks and it’s only rained properly once in aberdeen. They need rain bad!

Looking forward to playing my first day back in three weeks, only good thing about it living in Aberdeen in the summer.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Funny with the tipping story. You do realize no one rips for drinks in Scotland.

To me for fans is the best for for the money. That's the place most folk I know eat on a random night down there.

Interesting with the weather, I have been in Houston for three weeks and it's only rained properly once in aberdeen. They need rain bad!

Looking forward to playing my first day back in three weeks, only good thing about it living in Aberdeen in the summer.

Really - nobody tips for drinks in Scotland?

Honestly didn't know, but I recall at least one tip dish on the bar at the Dornoch Castle Hotel Whisky bar and happily added to it (but maybe it wasn't intended as such). I will say people at bars and some restaurants seemed genuinely more appreciative of tips.

Funny with the tipping story. You do realize no one rips for drinks in Scotland.

To me for fans is the best for for the money. That's the place most folk I know eat on a random night down there.

Interesting with the weather, I have been in Houston for three weeks and it's only rained properly once in aberdeen. They need rain bad!

Honestly didn't know, but I recall at least one tip dish on the bar at the Dornoch Castle Hotel Whisky bar and happily added to it (but maybe it wasn't intended as such). I will say people at bars and some restaurants seemed genuinely more appreciative of tips.

I had someone tell me that if you're seated for just drinks in a bar they didnt tip and if it was a place where they got their own drinks they might leave the change. Seated meals they said 10% was viewed as a huge tip and the staff was really appreciative.

This is one of those things that sounds crazy to me but I'm glad I thought to at least ask about.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I had someone tell me that if you're seated for just drinks in a bar they didnt tip and if it was a place where they got their own drinks they might leave the change. Seated meals they said 10% was viewed as a huge tip and the staff was really appreciative.

This is one of those things that sounds crazy to me but I'm glad I thought to at least ask about.

People in most parts of the world find the exorbitant tipping culture in USA to be crazy. I tend to agree.

That's really interesting. I'm just accustomed to tipping I guess and apparently a "big" tipper by their standards. There was a little restaurant we would return to in Dornoch where the young lady gave us a tin of shortbread one day for coming back, strawberry tarts another, looking back, maybe that was part of it, but given the owner came out and said hello a couple times, I think it was just plain friendliness and good marketing for a new place happy to see returning customers.

Not trying to make too broad of a statement because it probably isn't completely fair, but I will say the small sample size of service we got at a variety of different pubs/restaurants in Scotland put to shame almost any service we have seen traveling about home/visits to California and other places, etc. There are always exceptions - some owner operated places here have a good culture, there are always good examples of wait staff to be found, but in general, I just had the vibe, especially in the smaller areas of Scotland, that people really cared and maybe "get it" that so much of their success depends on tourism. Only one meal in Edinburgh (great) and none in Glasgow, so I can't speak from any experience in larger cities or "chain" kind of restaurants.

Guess there are worse things than potentially overtipping, so I'm erring on the side of caution, lol.

Don't tip your barman, but do return your empty pint glasses when you go up for your next round or leave.

F.T.

Hopefully I dont jinx myself but I'm leaving the umbrella at home.

Rookie move!

I'm playing Cruden Bay tomorrow and Trump at Aberdeen Saturday. The forecast is wet!

Our first course while we've been here, so take it with a grain of salt, but Just got done playing Trump Aberdeen and it was by far THE best course I've ever played in my whole life...

Like I said I know it was first but it will be very hard to top. Absolutely surreal experience. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

If you're here (Trump Scotland) and need caddies ask for Jack and Ian. IF you can choose take Jack over Ian but both were very pleasant. Ian was your stereotypical Scott, Jack was too but a tad more friendly, both fantastic caddies. Staying at Trump International one more night, tomorrow morning off to Carnoustie and St Andrews. I have many pictures to share but can't figure out how to upload... :russian_roulette:

Good news you had fun.

What was the condition like at trump Aberdeen? It was no where near as good as royal Aberdeen a month ago. It’s a very good layout though.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Good news you had fun.

What was the condition like at trump Aberdeen? It was no where near as good as royal Aberdeen a month ago. It's a very good layout though.

It was semi-linksy. I say that because they have sprinkler systems here so it wasnt playing how "it should" but it was good fun. Absolutely beautiful layout but both caddies said its greener than its supposed to be.

Good news you had fun.

What was the condition like at trump Aberdeen? It was no where near as good as royal Aberdeen a month ago. It's a very good layout though.

That's really interesting. I'm just accustomed to tipping I guess and apparently a "big" tipper by their standards. There was a little restaurant we would return to in Dornoch where the young lady gave us a tin of shortbread one day for coming back, strawberry tarts another, looking back, maybe that was part of it, but given the owner came out and said hello a couple times, I think it was just plain friendliness and good marketing for a new place happy to see returning customers.

Not trying to make too broad of a statement because it probably isn't completely fair, but I will say the small sample size of service we got at a variety of different pubs/restaurants in Scotland put to shame almost any service we have seen traveling about home/visits to California and other places, etc. There are always exceptions - some owner operated places here have a good culture, there are always good examples of wait staff to be found, but in general, I just had the vibe, especially in the smaller areas of Scotland, that people really cared and maybe "get it" that so much of their success depends on tourism. Only one meal in Edinburgh (great) and none in Glasgow, so I can't speak from any experience in larger cities or "chain" kind of restaurants.

Guess there are worse things than potentially overtipping, so I'm erring on the side of caution, lol.

In Belgium we don't have a tipping culture ourselve , But wherever I come and feel good about the place / experience and mostly the staff I always tip as Well, and I Did the Same in Scotland / other places I visit.

This Said, I Would really second your opinion , I als had a great feeling with the people in Scotland generally , ans more specific the owners / staff of places / staff of the golf courses / hotel / staff in the smaller and bigger reatail shops / .. and in most places I came for the first / 2nd time ...

But at manny places I felt like threated as I was the bet customer / a regular Who came in every week ..

IT only added to the experience

I'M thrilled you liked Trump Aberdeen / had a great round ? ?

Have a great stay !!!!! And keep

Us posted ?

Countdown for Augusta!!!

I played Trump Aberdeen today. Simply stunning course and anyone in the area should play it. Fabulous layout with a choice of 5 mens tees so make sure you pick the ones suited to your game. Caddies are not essential there but it is helpful as they can direct you to the optimum choice of tee on each hole. We played the 18th off the black tees which made it 651 yards straight into a stiff breeze. As widely noted, the locker room and clubhouse are very basic at the moment but the course is simply stunning and now firmly in my top 5 favourites of all time, which is quite an achievement given where I have been fortunate to play.

In answer to another question I played Cruden Bay yesterday. In my view you MUST have either a caddie or someone who has played there before in your group. Lot's of blind shots , elevation changes and I have never played a course that would be trickier to work out without local knowledge. You will literally stand on some tees scratching your head at where you need to play to. Nice course worth a trip and the catering and general hospitality there is fabulous.

The umbrella had a good work out too. The weather changes quickly locally and it reinforced my view that you would be crazy NOT to bring a decent umbrella with you

Any questions on these two courses feel free to ask.

Well friends, on my flight home now. I will upload pictures and a more detailed description when I arrive home. Apologies for not keeping you updated but I wanted to live in the moment and get the most out of my trip, and to do that I had to abandon technology.

WOW, what a place. I can confidently say I'll be going back soon. Exceeded any dreams and expectations I had, thanks to all of your advice, everything went much MUCH better than planned and I owe much of that to this forum.

THANK YOU ALL. Cheers! :lol: