2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Riviera - Completely Deserving of Its Accolades

Obee

Played Riviera today in a charity tournament. Format was two best balls of the foursome, so we all got to play our own balls all the way through.

The course is just magnificent. There is literally one mediocre hole on the entire property: number one. It's an easy par five. Other than that, pure golfing heaven.

The scale of the property is fantastic. It's open, but not too open. Enormous eucalyptus trees line several of the fairways. Bunkering is unique. Many holes play along or around a nasty barranca that is used to excellent effect.

The kikuyu fairways are absolutely perfect. You don't get much roll, but the ball sits like it is on a tee. You can do whatever you want with the ball: high, low, left to right, right to left. It will give you some of the best lies you have ever had on any fairway. And the rough, when it is not too long, is manageable because the ball sits up, frequently.

I can truly go on and on about the course. Each time I play it I am blown away by just how strong of a course it is.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there at the genesis open at the start of this season after having been wanting to get on the property for years but being stopped by the gate :). Incredible golfcourse and conditioning. At first i thought they must've had a massive putting green but that was the 1st fairway, never seen anything mowed so tight it was almost like some kind of moss. The difficulty of the couse was a nice suprise as well, seems like you really have to know what your doing when approaching the greens which is a nicer challenge than a course with 6' rough and water hazards everywhere.

I went there once, to try to sell them on 'Hickory Golf', back in 2003. Didn't work but that's another gether all-to-thing. Loved it.

Peter Oosterhuis was Golf Director there I think, before he became a talking head on TV, I believe he won the Canadian Open but hasn't been well lately. Anyone heard how he's getting along?

agree that Riviera is a truly great course, especially since it's built on nondescript land.

Played in 2005 with another guest, a scratch player who wanted to play the tips. Since we shared a caddie, I also played the blues. The greens are level, with subtle breaks.

The course is mostly flat, except for #1 & #18. The 1st hole is a downhill short par 5 (but it's not easy especially since you tee off a few yards from the clubhouse with people milling about.) I reached the uphill 18th green in two (with a tailwind), then 3 putted.

The 4th par 3 is challenging; Hogan called it the greatest par 3 in the country. (I don't agree; Pasatiempo's 3d hole is a little better.)

The 6th par 3 has the unusual bunker in the middle of the green. Anywhere else it might seem wacky, but at Riviera it works.

And the famous 315 yd par 10th hole is intriguing. It's flat, but the incredibly small green dictates careful play. (It seemed the green was the size of two pool tables placed end to end.) It's the best short par 4 I've played anywhere, including Pacific Dunes' #6 & #16.

Played a USGA qualifier there, many years ago. Love that course.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Lol, I love Riviera!!

In 1992 while on my honeymoon at Mauna Lani (Big Island). I played 3 consecutive morning rounds with a Riviera member. Both our wives were doing the spa thing as we played.

After our last round he gave me his card and said if I'm ever in the Brentwood area...and I want to play Riviera call him. I promptly said I definitely will!,

Fast forward 2 years....and a young son. We're all on our way to Disneyland from Oahu. I ask my wife how far in Riviera from Anaheim? Haha!!

Fortunately for me my in laws wanted to come along on this trip...so my wife said I could have a day-pass on the 2nd Monday.

I call my contact...he says he had expected to hear from me sooner...knowing the golf addict I was!! He told me that Monday was actually the Monday after the 94' LA Open. He said the course will be pretty tough...greens burnt and rough still at tournament height. I responded " no problem)!!

He was going to be out of town, but made a time for me for 4....if I wanted to bring any friends along!

I have a local golf buddy who is in sales for a Int'l company...also a golf addict. I told him about my Riviera T Time....and he responded that he was going to be in LA that week for a sales convention. Timing is everything in life...I believe!!

he calls me back in 15 mins!,, saying he wants to bring his National and Regional Sales Managers along....I say great!! Playing Rivi with four would be way better than as a single.

We had a great time!!! We walked with caddies....played the blue tees. Rough very penal, greens super fast. I had my c game...84.

But.....my guest's National sale manager picked up my total tab. Round, lunch, shirt and hat! He wouldnt even let me tip the caddie!!

One of my most memorable golf memories.

Lol, I love Riviera!!

In 1992 while on my honeymoon at Mauna Lani (Big Island). I played 3 consecutive morning rounds with a Riviera member. Both our wives were doing the spa thing as we played.

After our last round he gave me his card and said if I'm ever in the Brentwood area...and I want to play Riviera call him. I promptly said I definitely will!,

Fast forward 2 years....and a young son. We're all on our way to Disneyland from Oahu. I ask my wife how far in Riviera from Anaheim? Haha!!

Fortunately for me my in laws wanted to come along on this trip...so my wife said I could have a day-pass on the 2nd Monday.

I call my contact...he says he had expected to hear from me sooner...knowing the golf addict I was!! He told me that Monday was actually the Monday after the 94' LA Open. He said the course will be pretty tough...greens burnt and rough still at tournament height. I responded " no problem)!!

He was going to be out of town, but made a time for me for 4....if I wanted to bring any friends along!

I have a local golf buddy who is in sales for a Int'l company...also a golf addict. I told him about my Riviera T Time....and he responded that he was going to be in LA that week for a sales convention. Timing is everything in life...I believe!!

he calls me back in 15 mins!,, saying he wants to bring his National and Regional Sales Managers along....I say great!! Playing Rivi with four would be way better than as a single.

We had a great time!!! We walked with caddies....played the blue tees. Rough very penal, greens super fast. I had my c game...84.

But.....my guest's National sale manager picked up my total tab. Round, lunch, shirt and hat! He wouldnt even let me tip the caddie!!

One of my most memorable golf memories.

That is a great story! In this tournament, we play the white tees at about 6500 yards. I shot 71 yesterday, 71 the year before, and 70 the first time I played. From that yardage, the course really suits my game.

The greens are receptive, and the fairways perfect. The rough was quite short. Only about a 10 mile an hour wind. Excellent scoring conditions. :-)

What was the charity? Great way to play an exclusive course like Riviera.

Jewish National Fund. My buddy is a member at Brentwood. Takes care of the whole thing every year. Very very kind of him.

OB how did you play #10?

Pin was front left. I hit driver down the middle. Had 42 yards to the pin. Nip a little lob wedge in there with lots of spin. 6 feet. Lipped out.

Riviera would probably be #3 on my bucket list of courses. Since I don't think a 49-year-old special education teacher has more of a chance to play on Mars than Augusta National, I don't think #1 is likely. I got to go there for a practice round. Pebble is #2, and assuming I find a way to pay $$$$ for a round- I still might make it there. St. Andrews would be #4 (I'm going to intentionally hit it in the road bunker when I play there).

I've been to all 4 in person, so that's cool. Riviera is such a great course that it's must-watch television whenever they play an event there, and that's from a diehard Norcal guy who can't admit anything in LA is good

Riviera would probably be #3 on my bucket list of courses. Since I don't think a 49-year-old special education teacher has more of a chance to play on Mars than Augusta National, I don't think #1 is likely. I got to go there for a practice round. Pebble is #2, and assuming I find a way to pay $$$$ for a round- I still might make it there. St. Andrews would be #4 (I'm going to intentionally hit it in the road bunker when I play there).

I've been to all 4 in person, so that's cool. Riviera is such a great course that it's must-watch television whenever they play an event there, and that's from a diehard Norcal guy who can't admit anything in LA is good

You need to put Los Angeles CC North very high on that list, my friend. Wow. It is amazing.

• 3 months later...

Playing there in a few weeks after winning a charity round online... pricey, but you expect that going in with Riviera as it is very desirable.

Playing Riviera Saturday. I felt the same way when I first played Shadow Creek. "Omg $500.........." but soon after leaving the course, it was well spent.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

You need to put Los Angeles CC North very high on that list, my friend. Wow. It is amazing.

I was just going to ask you how LACC compares to Riv. I've been to both, but never played.

I was just going to ask you how LACC compares to Riv. I've been to both, but never played.

I prefer LACC North. But only barely. Definitely two of the very best courses I have ever played.