2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

questions of the day:

1. how many hours a week do you practice or play, if you average out a typical month?

2. how many hours a week do you think city practices or plays, on average?

1. recently, 4-5 for me. prior to nov. 1, 2.5 (1/2 round plus some putting+chipping).

2. 24. and that's conservative.

1. I'm probably closer to 6 hrs a month during the season -- an hour at the range, a half hour on short game each weekend.

2. At least. It may be the thing I am most jealous of in my life. I love practicing and play-cticing. It seems like City is out there every day. It's glorious. He has earned every inch of the improvement he has made.

I've been practicing a lot lately. And some of it is paying off, but the one area where i dont practice enough (and i know it) is putting. And that's hurting, a lot. I'll put an hour and a half into different full swing stuff (and sometimes its helping, and sometimes it isnt). But i have a hard time spending more than 20-30 minutes putting.

priority #1 for the winter time is working on a practice regime that works for ME. That keeps me interested, challenged, and working on the things that make my game better. And right now those things, in order are:

1. Putting

2. Putting

3. Lag putting

4. DOWN HILL LIES

5. 160+ yard approaches. I'm not saying im a wizard inside 150, because i'm not, but for some reason i have a mental block if i have to pull anything longer than an 8 iron.

I practice probably 6-8 hrs a month. I play 6-8 times a month. Not counting getting warm as practice that is.

I haven't practiced a single time since the 7s. Work, bad weather, family stuff. During the season this year, I probably averaged 2 hours a week practice and two hours a week playing (2 rounds a month).

Between practice and play, I'd guess City at 15 hours. 3 rounds plus a few other sessions.

I think if I played as much as City, I still wouldn't be as good as him. My ability to effectively practice and improve has been poor. If anything, I've made negative progress over the last 3 years.

1. how many hours a week do you practice or play, if you average out a typical month?

In season, I am around 12-15 hours a week. One to two full rounds. One or two other "practice" loops where I just go out for an hour or so and jump around. Mix in one or two range sessions on those days. Really no reason I couldn't do more. I had a lot of downtime this year - that cant help. Took a few weeks off after Scotland. Took a month off after the ankle. Also didn't help.

City seems very consistent in this regard.

My goal between now and say March 20 is 8 hours a week. Couple of range sessions and maybe sneak out on the course once per week. This obviously gets harder the colder it gets if courses actually close for an extended period. I'm back to two spin classes a week and thats definitely been helping. If I can get to 4, even better.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

During the season, I average one 18-hole round a week.

I get outside to practice maybe once a month, for 1-1.5 hours. That's putting, and MAYBE some chipping.

I probably putt for 15-20 minutes 2-5 nights/week.

Other than pre-round, I don't really hit balls.

I don't play practice 9s.

If I had to guess, City probably plays two 18-hole rounds a week. Maybe 2-3 hours or so of practice, max. The guy does work full time, and has a spouse. I don't have the impression he's spending every free daylight hour at the golf course.

In case you are not familiar with Black Lab Golf, Chip Usher is the best. Quality custom putters at a great price and incredible communication.

I’m going to Savannah today and sent him an email this morning and immediately got a response - see below. Check out his website - www.BlackLabGolf.com. There are some collectors of his putters on this thread also.

“I am open this morning from 7am- 11.30am and this afternoon from 12.15pm -2pm.”

Thanks, Chip

--

Chip Usher

Usher Golf

www.chipandputt.com

www.BlackLabGolf.com

912-303-9650

Is this Tex's burner account?

Chip will be taking 45 for lunch today - in case thats when you needed to reach him.

Said he would be open 7-10.30 tomorrow

My time for golf has mostly been limited to weekends, so when I get a chance to play, I get out onto the course. I occasionally hit shots before playing, but it's maybe one-third of the time. I usually will hit some putts for a few minutes too. That's the extent of my practice time. If I have limited time and I have a choice between the driving range and a course, I'm choosing the course 10/10 times.

City is one of the better athletes in this group.

This is a very underappreciated fact.

Tough day for Kent in this thread. First he gets left off the top GIR % post now all this talk about thread athletes and ZERO mention of his HS track days. Do you know his times?! No respect for the senior citizens in here.

City is one of the better athletes in this group.

This is a very underappreciated fact.

Athlete means a lot of things. I don't have the speed that PQ does. I feel like I have decent proprioception, which is an athletic quality and difficult to measure/observe in people. I swear there are people in yoga class who can't tell when a limb is straight or bent (or other subtle things).

It's all relative. There are 5-7 guys at my club who are 45+ and keep a sub-5 handicap, plenty of these guys put up 69s occasionally (including one dude who is about 70. He has a kid my age.). I've been joking with guys that when I hit 50, we're going to have a senior flight 8 deep with caps between 0 and 4, so I don't actually look at myself and go, "I'm good". I look at these other guys and go, "how are they so good and I never see them working on it?"

This year was crazy because of the rain, but I'm at the club 5 days a week. That's a couple rounds and a few pracky seshies between 1-3 hours. I'm also able, many a few times a year, to "go deep" because wife will go out of town. But, I'll also totally not golf for 10 days straight on vacation.

I just really think the main advantage I have over other people is a remarkable ability to enjoy repetition and practice. And I'm robust. My injuries go away without rest.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'm going to hedge a bit on this. I think City is an above average athlete for this thread, but I don't think he is too far above most for athletic ability. He's out working on it 5 days a week, both on golf skills and general fitness. Walking 5+ miles a day on the course is no joke. He's a better athlete because he works at it while most of us are posting about our post-work beverage and getting fat.

My point is that an average 46 year old would not be able to work on golf 5 days a week. Their bodies wouldn't allow it.

I think measuring athletes, as we get older, is more about ability to stay healthy (which is as much mental as it is physical) and coordination rather than power/speed/explosiveness. City is light years ahead of the average 46 year old.

But at the same time.....I've never seen City shoot a basketball, and the mental image of him doing so is counter-intuitive to my entire argument about his athleticism, so.....nevermind.

What are the chances that in addition to developing a plan for how he'd fight every one of us, he also has a plan for how he'd beat each of us in a one-on-one basketball game?

I forgot all about that. Maybe one of the best things I've ever read on this thread

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

My point is that an average 46 year old would not be able to work on golf 5 days a week. Their bodies wouldn't allow it.

I think measuring athletes, as we get older, is more about ability to stay healthy (which is as much mental as it is physical) and coordination rather than power/speed/explosiveness. City is light years ahead of the average 46 year old.

But at the same time.....I've never seen City shoot a basketball, and the mental image of him doing so is counter-intuitive to my entire argument about his athleticism, so.....nevermind.

Picture a guy with decent form who can get blocked by anyone anywhere on the court. I do not have ups.

I used to like posting up and had a little drop step and when my guy caught on, I had a fake off that I'd turn into a turnaround that I could work with effectiveness against some people. I could get just enough room. I also had a couple difficult to stop shots that I could convert with some regularity when I was playing a lot, sort of a running underhand when I got just enough space.

My real skill was in a game of 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 to grab loose rebounds. Too many bodies in 5's to find the spaces.

For the record, I did not start #CityTalkFriday.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

questions of the day:

usually 9-18 holes per week

maybe 30 minutes a week split between chipping/putting

haven't swung a club since City took my money at LB 1.5 months ago

I'm fairly certain City sleeps in the cart barn and practices 20/24 hrs per day and 7/7 days per week

Water polo

Well yes because you need long arms, but that sport also seems to take a level of ferociousness and trying to outlast people and stamina. And I'm an aquarius and love the water.

I think pole vault takes a bit of commitment to flight and I could handle that. I have stones, but I don't have explosiveness.

Think long jump, triple jump, high jump. You need a higher center of gravity for that stuff.

Fencing I'd be fine at. That's reaction/hand-eye and having a plan to fight someone. I'm ok there. They always look like they have a solid, yet dynamic, base.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Worst hole at EagleMore is probably the first. Basically just dead straight and flat. Not a single obstruction between the tee and the green. The 4th hole isn't much different, but at least it has a tough green.

I really like the 3rd hole out there. This is the dogleg right with the green protected by water front and left. It takes a sort of precise, but not difficult tee shot, and presents a pretty small target on the second shot, with the green at an odd angle. Draw back is that it's not a driver hole. Then there's the hole with the "island tee box" (15). This is a very good hole. A drive that looks quite intimidating, but you get out there and find the fairway is actually huge.

The par 5's out there are all a little wacko. The first 3 are all sort almost double-dog legs. I'm interested in hearing what guys say after playing it for a year. . .what holes they like and what are frustrating.

That par 4 on the back (13) with the hazard down the left and then cutting in front of the green seems innocuous at first, but I think it has just enough length to be good. Going to be a different hole in dry conditions.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I've played there less than a handful of times, and hear everytime walking up to the 13th tee how much somebody hates that hole. Personally it's one of my favorites, both aesthetically and stratgically. Gives you options off the tee as far as what to hit. Bail right and you have a difficult sidehill, downhill shot. Too far and the trees obstruct by overhanging. Miss it short and left off the tee and your blocked. Other scenarios of course as well.

I think its the fact that you might get a breather off the tee as far as hitting an iron or hybird, but you still have to execute. I've been taking 4 iron off the tee and have about an 8 iron left to the middle. Fun approach as well if the pin is in the back. I really like the stretch from 12 on with the exception of 17 due to the fact that you can hit the middle to right fairway off the tee and not have a shot sometimes.

Part of my reason for joining was the variety. Three of the four par 5s have great risk/reward and exciting approaches. Never play a hole that you can say this reminds me of #... (same course). Par 3s are great too. I agree #1 is the weakest just because it is what it is - straight away and no thinking required. Maybe throw a bunker up the right. But then again, it gives you a chance to get a good start.

I am hoping we have a good season and course stays in condition to see what we have when it plays as should.

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

Woodmore Holes:

Worst Hole - 13. Best thing you can do is max out your 245ish club with tee shot to get to 140-150 because of the angle of the hole. Very little chance to get the tee shot into a short wedge distance unless you try to hook a driver over the creek.

Best Hole - 15. The island tee boxes. The surprisingly large fairway. The semi island green. Another one to watch out for if and when firm and fast conditions return. If the pin is left and you are coming in from the right side of the fairway, any bounce/spin too far left and that ball will trickle all the way into the drink.

I am hoping we have a good season and course stays in condition to see what we have when it plays as should.

At any course that stayed in reasonable shape this year, their super should get a nice fat holiday bonus. We're currently less than one inch away from being the wettest year on record. If Woodmore was in shape that made you want to join, then I bet next year will be great.