2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

So I caved to thread pressure and bought a carry/sunday bag today. Even though I am a SIMK (single income multiple kids) with all this talk of expensive sunday bags I didn’t want to be ostracized from the group without a bag of my own to show off my social status. I can’t keep up with all you hoity toity new Eaglemore members but at least I now have a bag to give the appearance I am rolling in dough with multiple memberships like BethesdaRick. Now before I get further shunned by the group can someone please point me in the right direction to buy the non-gmo, organic, free range $500 hickory chop sticks I can pair with my $10 sun mountain Sunday bag I scored off Facebook?

I have the plain black version of that bag. It’s virtually indestructible. I’ve been quite happy with it the few times I’ve used it over the years. Normally at Needwood Executive or Cane Patch in Myrtle. I don’t have the fancy chopsticks either, so I’m not quite as classy as you’re aiming for.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

I picked the right college football game to watch this season.

And I'll tell ya... That geico commercial with the old guy's nose whistling... Kills me. The kid changes the station at the end of it and the girl starts tapping her fingers.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Bush 41 was a member at the club my dad and uncle are in up in Maine. Its semi private (public can play afternoons) and probably the least glamorous place you can imagine a president playing (besides Andrews). Club house is tiny with no bar, no food, no real gathering room. The bar is a cooler of bud light set out on the porch. When they have a dinner they set up a tent on the 18th fairway. Club house was renamed/dedicated to him a number of years ago. Its a definite golfers golf club, not a fancy country club to hob nob and make connections. Dues and fees are equivalent (or so) to joining any of the not crazy clubs here (Turf, Norbeck, Argyle, etc).

They played fast golf. Around 2 hours. Hit your ball, drive to it, hit it again. He was out there to play golf, not enjoy the weather and mess around.

Club is famous as the location for the Bush 43 "Now watch this drive" video that led him to giving up golf for awhile.

After DC's post this week, I went down to Pinecrest for 2 hours in the Trackman. Very cool setup. The room would be good for 4-5 guys or so. It has a couch, high top table with some chairs. Has it's own door to close for privacy. $50 for the first hour, $30 for extra hours, which I feel is a good value for what you get. Last winter I set an off-season goal to hit up a simulator once and awhile and failed miserably, but I'll try to get down there a few more times this winter. If you're nearby you should make the trip, unless you are trying to go when I want to be there.

Numbers were kind of surprising for me. Whatever I've done recently, I'm hitting from the inside consistently. But my face control wasn't good. Path was 3 +/- 2, Face was 1 +/- 4. So all the hooks and fade/slides I've hit haven't actually been over the top like I'm used to. They're from the inside with a too closed or open face. I was actually trying to work to a more out to in path and picked up some speed when I did it. I downloaded it to CSV, so I'll have to take a look in more detail.

My driver fit numbers are turrible, and pretty much reinforces the short carry I've seen compared to my fairway woods. My 7-wood carry was the same as my driver carry. Way too low launch/spin. Need to visit Callaway Tex, I guess. But that F8+ looked so much cooler than the normal non-low-spin model! I was consistently 30 yards short on carry from TM "ideal" numbers. If you throw out some pop ups and burners I hit, here's some averages on 9 "normal" drives:

Swing speed: 97 +/- 1.5

Ball speed: 146 +/- 3.5

Path: 4 +/- 1

Face: 3 +/- 1.5

AoA: -2.5 +/- 1

Launch: 7.5 +/- 2

Spin: 2000 +/- 400

Looks like a regular shaft and high spin head is in my future. The speed and face/path angles are a bit better than I was expecting actually. AoA could be less negative, but that's not too bad.

Numbers were kind of surprising for me. Whatever I've done recently, I'm hitting from the inside consistently. But my face control wasn't good. Path was 3 +/- 2, Face was 1 +/- 4. So all the hooks and fade/slides I've hit haven't actually been over the top like I'm used to. They're from the inside with a too closed or open face. I was actually trying to work to a more out to in path and picked up some speed when I did it. I downloaded it to CSV, so I'll have to take a look in more detail.

Found the same thing when I was on trackman this fall. Figured I was outside->in but was showing pretty consistent inside->out just with a face also open. More issue with face than path for me as well. Some other swing issues were making that number a bit higher, but I thought I had a path issue and was focused on the complete wrong thing.

Launch does look low with driver. Doesn't the Cobra allow you to adjust loft from like 8-12? Could you just bump it all the way up?

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Found the same thing when I was on trackman this fall. Figured I was outside->in but was showing pretty consistent inside->out just with a face also open. More issue with face than path for me as well. Some other swing issues were making that number a bit higher, but I thought I had a path issue and was focused on the complete wrong thing.

Launch does look low with driver. Doesn't the Cobra allow you to adjust loft from like 8-12? Could you just bump it all the way up?

I already have it set at 12. And the shaft I'm playing in it really isn't all that stiff of a stiff.

I copped this image from another website, and circled where I'm at. It's for 140 ball speed versus my 147, but it's not far off. So maybe my low spin is okay, but I'd need to launch it twice as high. I don't think I'm going to suddenly get to 20 degrees launch at the same spin without making a big swing change to increase AoA, but maybe I could get it up to the 13ish launch range and add some spin.

Actually, the F8+ only plays up to 11 degrees. I actually have a shaft in it that's from a FlyZ I played, and it's labeled 8-12. But even though it says 8-12 and is compatible, the F8+ is only 11 on the 12 setting. I didn't realize Cobra did it like that.

I also have the weights set up in the low launch setting. Because I'm a moron. Changing that now.

I think FAbb made the comment a short while ago that I needed to drop the ego and go to a regular flex. I don't think I was suffering from ego at all on that. Just ignorance. I ordered a ProLaunch Blue in regular flex, which with shipping sets me back less than $60. I'll see how it goes and take it back on the monitor next time I go. Then FAbb can brag about how he was right all along, even though he was just being a donk.

I joined Hivemore today. Bring on all of the golf.

Yay!

Can you golf during the week or a weekend warrior?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I think FAbb made the comment a short while ago that I needed to drop the ego and go to a regular flex. I don't think I was suffering from ego at all on that. Just ignorance. I ordered a ProLaunch Blue in regular flex, which with shipping sets me back less than $60. I'll see how it goes and take it back on the monitor next time I go. Then FAbb can brag about how he was right all along, even though he was just being a donk.

Do yourself a favor ...

Come out to Eaglemoore and lets check out some stats on a trackman... just we can see some numbers to back up your thoughts. It comes down to feel to be honest ... I betcha you see little difference between stiff/regular but I would like to take away self doubt.

Just saw your post.. I quit following the thread for a bit but my Woodmore homies brought me back..

If we can get your AoA closer to neutral it will change your launch naturally but I want to see where you are hitting it on the face more times than not

P.S. OMG Tex has a trackman year round..who would of thought it.

protos F4

Tex, I didn't check the face contact screens, but I can almost guarantee you it's low on the face. Not super low, since it still came out hot with low spin. But a bit low at least. That's an issue I've had long term.

I didn't forget you or your Trackman. I'll get the temporary fix with the cheap shaft replacement, then work toward actual swing changes and a real fitting before the spring. The teacher I've been going to also uses one, so that's on the gameplan as well, but need some solo time to work on things.

Tex, I didn't check the face contact screens, but I can almost guarantee you it's low on the face. Not super low, since it still came out hot with low spin. But a bit low at least. That's an issue I've had long term.

I didn't forget you or your Trackman. I'll get the temporary fix with the cheap shaft replacement, then work toward actual swing changes and a real fitting before the spring. The teacher I've been going to also uses one, so that's on the gameplan as well, but need some solo time to work on things.

Sully...

Oh I was not throwing that at you about the trackman.. some people just do not know how I access to it or I am a Master fitter now.

Low on the face will launch low and spin high.

Loft impacts spin and attack angle impacts launch

Impact on face and angle of attack will mess with your launch and spin more than anything.

Honestly, I would focus on your lessons because once you get that grooved we can see if this or that will help your distance, etc

protos F4

i dunno if sully remembers, but i told him that he 100% should be in the regular, non-plus version of the F8. since he didn't listen to me on that, i said put the heavy weight in the back. since he didn't listen to me on that either, i hope tex can prove me right twice, or that sully breaks his driver on the downswing of the first hive event and we have to count it as a stroke.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

i dunno if sully remembers, but i told him that he 100% should be in the regular, non-plus version of the F8. since he didn't listen to me on that, i said put the heavy weight in the back. since he didn't listen to me on that either, i hope tex can prove me right twice, or that sully breaks his driver on the downswing of the first hive event and we have to count it as a stroke.

And after he breaks it, can’t we come up with a Hive Only rule saying it’s not a stroke due to the lack of a whole club? Is that legal? Or do we wait to hear from the USGA?

Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

Sull- highly recommend you try a driver not made by cobra if your miss is low off the face. I don’t know why, but I feel distance falls off and spin skyrockets with a lot of cobra drivers. I’m not good enough to explain why, or what’s going on that makes cobra do it more so than others (do recall that cobra has face tech not dissimilar from twistface).

97 SS should be in a stiff by most standards but Tex or another fitter can probably advise you in the right direction. Perhaps shorter is better.

I joined Hivemore today. Bring on all of the golf.

Yay!

Can you golf during the week or a weekend warrior?

Mostly going to be a weekend warrior until time changes back, but I do have some PTO days I need to exhaust before I start the new job in mid to late January.

Well.. maybe I can squeeze out early Sunday rounds

protos F4

And the latest TG2 Podcast had a Cobra higher up on it and as I understood him, the difference between the plus versions and the regular versions wasn’t that drastic. I think he said that the King LTD was their last really low spin head. But I’d still flip the weight to the back and throw in the Prolaunch. Although the Rifle Guy said in another podcast that there are rare Unicorns whose swings create launches that make the Reds and Blues behave opposite. I’ve listened to too many equipment podcasts.

Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65