2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

CBD oil is so overrated. All hail El Tigre from Deutschland! I walked to 17 bars and they all laughed at me when I asked to put The Masters on. They didn’t even know what I was talking about until I said “Tiger Woods, Green Jacket.” Soccer Sunday’s rule all around here. I was relegated to streaming Tirico and Andy North on the radio broadcast. I passed out from jet lag when Tiger Woods missed his eagle putt on 15. Woke up in the middle of the night even more jet lagged and started flipping out. YES!

• Like 1

> @2moreTerps said:

> Golf is so rarely obvious. Molinari just fairway and greening his way to a mega solid 69 and a W just seems so obvious. I don’t see Finau or Tiger shooting 67.

I've already listened to like 3 hours of podcasts about the 2019 Masters. Very smart decision by NLU and "Fairway Rollin'" to do the pods on Sunday when they still had the feels. You could hear the excitement from the killhouse.

They were recapping all the funny stuff. . .ZJ's duff, the "slide tackle", Phil's video. I never saw Barn Rat fall over, but that sounds funny. Great tournament.

Everyone seems to think that Phil killing Kuch is the funny part of that video, but talking about the tiny shelves and hitting bombs just kills me.

I can't wait for Bethpage in a month. Tiger already went to the shortest odds last I saw.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

What a great major that was. You could distill the whole thing down to how all the leaders played #12. With those fronts moving in you'd need to be crazy to fire at that pin. IIRC Brooks, Finau, Poulter, and Molinari were all in the water and made doubles.

If Faldo and Nantz weren't trying so desperately to come up with a sappy soundbite, they could have actually found an interesting point to make. Tiger was in contention in two majors last year- in one, Molinari out-clutched him and avoided mistaked and in the other, Brooks held off his charge on the back nine. He flipped it around on both of them and held those two off.

In the words of George Lucas, "it's like poetry...it rhymes."

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Did Phil make some comments this weekend about the gum he was chewing and how he couldn't talk about it just yet? So much gum chewing yesterday.

It was surreal watching the back nine. Molinari really boned me in my pool but by halfway through the front nine I was in full on Tiger rooting mode so I didn't care.

And once the green jacket ceremony was over, I immediately went to the range to get some swings in.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> Did Phil make some comments this weekend about the gum he was chewing and how he couldn't talk about it just yet? So much gum chewing yesterday.

>

> It was surreal watching the back nine. Molinari really boned me in my pool but by halfway through the front nine I was in full on Tiger rooting mode so I didn't care.

>

> And once the green jacket ceremony was over, I immediately went to the range to get some swings in.

Yeah, in the NYT article about the gum chewing, Phil said he couldn't disclose what the kind of gum was.

After the golf ended, I had to walk the dog, and it's 30 minutes to the club, and it looked like weather was moving in, so I didn't even go hit balls. I was actually looking forward to a relaxing round Sunday morning and then watching the Masters, but that didn't happen, obviously.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

shot 80 yesterday at woodmore with another 6 lipouts (COUNT EM UP). went inside to catch the back 9. surreal scene. people from an ongoing birthday event in the banquet hall kept coming over to check how tiger was doing. i high-fived a guy wearing an outstanding bowtie after tiger almost holed the shot on 16.

different tvs had different feeds, so depending on the one you were watching you might be ahead or behind. it was pretty funny.

• Like 1

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I'm not one to brag, but I think my up&down chip shot on 18 yesterday to try and break 80 at EPP was more impressive than Tigers chip on 18 at Augusta to win the Masters. Take from that what you will.

I missed the putt. But so did Tiger.

Played yesterday morning and at EPP with Domes, and got back in time to watch the back 9 for the featured groups. Super awesome. Quick recap.

Teed off as a twosome on a Sunday morning, and hardly had to wait all day. People either stayed home because it was sort of wet out, or to watch golf, or both. I dunno. Had another awesome ballstriking day, but the greens were so wet that getting the right speed on putts was tricky. On a number of occasions I hit what I thought was a decent putt, only to come up like 5-8 feet short, then proceed to overcompensate and blast my second putt straight by the hole. Really hit it well off the tee though. Maybe a little bit too much on the power-fade side of things, but basically every shot was in decent position and perfectly playable. Irons were crisp too. Was hitting distances that I feel like I haven't been able to get to in a couple years. Like hitting it pin high with an 8i on a couple of par 3's that were playing 165 yards. I don't think I've hit a 165 yard 8i since 2016? It was awesome. I had an up&down on 18 to try and break 80 for the first time in years, though I didn't realize it at the time. Accidentally lasered the trees behind the green instead of the pin, so my shot wound up just to the left of a tree. I managed to sort of squeeze myself in between the tree and the ball, and flail/chip a 9i that got a great kick and rolled to like 5 or 6 feet. Played a bit too much break though, missed the putt by an inch or so on the high side, and wound up shooting an 80. But, if I'm flirting with the 70's this early in the season, I feel like I'm in a great spot to finally reach a goal I seem to have every year and never manage to quite grasp.

Domes played well too, considering he hasn't been out much this year. He was also power-fading a number of tee shots, but wound up in decent position for the most part. And the shots that were caught center went a mile. Easily out drove me by 20 yards a few times. And if the greens were easier to putt on I feel like his score would have been significantly lower.

• Like 1

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

So, we got bounced in A-team matches this weekend.

We were playing Columbia, who is historically very good. I think it was within reach. I played at home and the team in front of us got 3 points (against their club champ). My partner and I were playing a 0 and a .2 and we destroyed them on the front. We were 6 up after 9. They missed some putts, but we birdied 1 and then they both outdrove us on 2, but we had better looks at birdie. On 3, we set up a "home team" pin and I missed on the right side and 2-putted as everyone else 3-putted. On 4, they both outdrove me. My partner hit a ball OB, and I hit a 5 iron from the rough from 176 to about 8 feet. We just kept throwing in shots like that and I wasn't in their heads, but we just kept leaning on them. Never gave them breathing room.

They made a couple birdies on the back and when we got to 17, we were 2 down and partner and I were like "let's do this." We knew the team in front of us took 3, and that other matches were close so the half point might matter. We had another home team pin on 17. It looks like there's room right, but there isn't and one of their guys missed right and bogeyed. The other guy tugged one.

So, we're 1 down going into 18 and I'd noticed the pin earlier in the day was on a tiny back shelf. And you know what to do when shelves are tiny. . .HIT BOMBS. I hit my best drive the day, center stripe. Only time all day I was past them off the tee. Had 153 down wind to the tiny shelf and I was like "that is a perfect down wind 8 iron number". Hit my best iron of the day. 7 feet. Right over the flag. I'd missed a very similar putt on 15 that would have halved and I was NOT missing this putt. There was a wedding going on. A small audience, a house alarm going off. Bang. I wanted to make that putt so bad. It's generally a mistake to try to make birdie from the tee box, but when you do, and then you do it, it feels next level.

Anyway, as we all mentioned last week, these matches are great fun. Everyone is just a tough competitor. Every match I played came down to 18. There's a lot of way to have fun on the golf course. . .listening to music, drinking, air wolf. . .but just sinking as deep as I can into playing good golf, laser focus on every single shot, playing for something bigger than yourself, reacting to what other golfers are doing. . .it's so much fun. It's stressful. I can't do it every weekend, but I love it.

They beat us 10.5 to 7.5 and then beat Hobbits the next day by the same score. Our team has come a long way and I think next year it can be even better.

• Like 2

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @eagle1997 said:

> shot 80 yesterday at woodmore with another 6 lipouts (COUNT EM UP).

what percentage of your lipouts are low side vs high side?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @eagle1997 said:

> > shot 80 yesterday at woodmore with another 6 lipouts (COUNT EM UP).

>

> what percentage of your lipouts are low side vs high side?

>

no joke, it was 50-50, 3 high, 3 low. we've got some odd breaks, or lack thereof.

apparently, there's even a saying about it: the dreaded woodmore straight putt.

i just need to play more. 10 minutes to warm up wouldn't hurt either.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

> @TheCityGame said:

>There's a lot of way to have fun on the golf course. . .listening to music, drinking, air wolf. . .but just sinking as deep as I can into playing good golf, laser focus on every single shot, playing for something bigger than yourself, reacting to what other golfers are doing. . .it's so much fun. It's stressful. I can't do it every weekend, but I love it.

Great way to put it. And honestly its one of the things I love the most about doing a lot of different leagues. Different mix levels on the all-fun to super-serious scale but they are all a good time for different reasons. I think I would get bored if I was limited to only doing one of them so its nice to have a mix of things during the season. In any given week I might have three different matches of varying levels of "seriousness" which I think helps keep me engaged.

Speaking of staying engaged, at some point last week while trying to shake the rust off from three weeks of not touching a club, I decided to make a grip change. I have always had a super strong grip with both thumbs essentially on the right side of the grip, if not underneath it. But I have an old swing trainer (swing setter) that has a golfpride trainer grip on it and the much more neutral grip has both thumbs on the top.

Decided to try it and was pretty encouraged with the results. Much more consistant contact with my irons although it was a struggle with the driver. Cant explain why but I felt like I was having issues really creating enough wrist hinge with the way the club now sits in the left hand. On the flip side, I loved the contact I was getting chipping around the greens.

As if I needed something else to obsess about while the season is getting ramped up.

HBD dropping truth bombs. funny thing: we were pulling the stick all day yesterday, and all day at beaver last week, had 6 lipouts as previously mentioned (CEU). left it in at bowie all day the day before (no lips, 4 birds). there might be something to this. could be caught in the inbetween, especially after leaving it in all winter.

we are aerating the greens today and tomorrow. big holes i think. 100% necessary, but so hard to take as they were going end over end so sweetly. we will top-dress and roll, and with any luck they'll grow in quick. hopefully by may the rough will have filled in, the greens will have recovered and most of the new sod will have taken.

maryland open qualifier on may 16.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

@dcmidnight

I do not mess around with my grip.

Made a big grip change a few years back and I hope that's the last one ever. I'm strong to very strong and I've learned to cut the ball off that grip and when that cut is working, I'm a happy golfer.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @eagle1997 said:

> masters.org has got to be the best website of all time. did you know you can re-watch the broadcast/feature group/any video online? AWESOME.

Seriously the Track feature has to be one of the greatest website additions in any sport - ever. It was amazing. It was so amazing that I was playing the "how much would I pay for this" game when I realized they could easily start charging for this.

I did have to give a WTF to Ridley though when he was talking about the website and how they are always trying to stay up to date and giving fans what they want. LOL. Didnt it take them decades to even allow cameras on the front nine - or years to even have a functioning scoreboard on their website? Good on them for doing it now but lets not pretend they've always been some kind of market leader.

BTW in reading through Twitter I'm probably in the minority but I loved the early start / early finish. Left most of the afternoon to get out and do stuff if you wanted.

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @eagle1997 said:

> > masters.org has got to be the best website of all time. did you know you can re-watch the broadcast/feature group/any video online? AWESOME.

>

> BTW in reading through Twitter I'm probably in the minority but I loved the early start / early finish. Left most of the afternoon to get out and do stuff if you wanted.

In general I'd agree with this if it was scheduled like that in advance. I love watching the Open Championship in the morning and the tournament being over by 2pm. I had it all planned out with an 8am tee time and being home by 1 to watch 6 hours of coverage until they had to change the schedule due to crappy weather.

When I was walking by the window at lunch, I saw what appeared to be the contents of a dropped binder swirling about in a mini-tornado along the ground. Then I remembered Sully and Greg were playing their match this morning. Excellent.

• Like 1

From twitter. . .

His Asian mom: “You finish with bogey though”

— Alan Yang (@alanyang) April 14, 2019

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Speaking of lipouts, I must've touched every edge (that's what she said) at the Pete Dye River course last week. Didn't make a single putt. Fun track, never thought I'd miss the up-and-down of some of the more undulating courses in our area, but it was definitely a little weird playing something so flat. Pretty good sized greens and quite a few putts with very little break.

I've also been putting with the flagstick out and that will continue. Thought I would get used to it, but it just throws me all of seeing the flagstick. Longer putts are ok, but anything inside of like 15ft is no bueno for me. Also going back to a mallet putter as soon as possible. Maybe I need to add some more lead tape to my Scotty, but I am just not smooth and solid with it. I much prefer the look and feel to any mallet, but results don't lie.

Siegel played better golf than I've ever seen him play on Saturday. He's taking a normal amount of time over the ball, not getting frustrated with poor shots, and his putting was very good on those slow greens.

Even the ones he didn't hit flush were good. He wore two pieces of purple that didn't quite match, bold move. Said he got dressed in the dark. I believe him.

My driver all weekend was good. Getting speed back. Getting stronger. Putting needs some WORK