2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @baddomes said:

> HAT-B is a perfect Wolf Trap band. I can picture them playing to a bunch of 50-60 year olds and most people sit down, and then when the band says "come on everyone stand up!" everyone stands up for that song and then sits down again when it's over.

We're standing up and waving hands back and for for "Hold my Hand"

And, believe me, no one needs to tell me to stand up for "only wanna be with you".

Me and Gmen gon' be there.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @FAbb said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > > @TheCityGame said:

> > > > @SullGolf said:

> > > > I'm not sure what ever gave you the impression that I was responsble about meeting deadlines.

> > > You tuck your shirt in and comb your hair?

> > >

> > I thought it was because he drives a volvo?

> >

>

> The Volvo isn't even his! Well, I guess it became 50% his, when he married Mrs. Sully.

>

> Can we get Mrs. Sully to fire in City's picks? She's clearly the responsible adult in that house.

Well, her judgment should be questioned, considering who she married.

three weeks ago i was in 4th in my big pool. i switched from brooks to rose and fell down to 19th. The next week 6 of us were left in the suicide pool. Kisner missed along with three others. BUT. one of the guys who was left is my friends dad so we cut a deal where if either of us win we'd give the other 20%. After the MC and then another last week i've fallen all the way to 30th and out of the money. ouch. bad couple weeks for me.

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > HAT-B is a perfect Wolf Trap band. I can picture them playing to a bunch of 50-60 year olds and most people sit down, and then when the band says "come on everyone stand up!" everyone stands up for that song and then sits down again when it's over.

>

> We're standing up and waving hands back and for for "Hold my Hand"

>

> And, believe me, no one needs to tell me to stand up for "only wanna be with you".

>

> Me and Gmen gon' be there.

Gmen isn't going to be allowed to put his hands above his head for the next 3 months

• Like 1

All this US Open talk is why I forgot about this week's tournament.

You could cap crowds to make the in person attendance lower, and greatly expand the potential number of courses that could be suitable. Merion only allowed 25,000 people a day, while other US Opens have had more than double that. Augusta is somewhere between those two.

There are TONS of courses that have the logistics to host 25k/day, both inside and outside the fence. Maybe Streamsong can't host because of the lack of hotels nearby, fine. But there aren't so few that we can only have a rotation of 10 courses that are capable of doing it. Most of the reason is financial, not logistical. Is it worth $10 million a year in lost ticket sales to open up a whole range of other places? That's what we are talking about here.

> @dcmidnight said:

> Courses like Streamsong and Primland just dont have the surrounding logistics to support something like a major. I just thought it was an interesting mental exercise because it sounds easy to say there are a ton of great public courses out there that could host a major. But other than ones that already have hosted one - I dont really think there are that many.

I had started to write that the other day and thought I deleted it. I didn't mean to post it along with the other topic. But as for Streamsong and Primland, I was alluding to what you mentioned. You could do it at new courses like those; there would just be sacrifices in terms of spectating and logistics. It would either all be televised or only very limited tickets and minor concessions - stuff like that. What Aiyyer said resonates with me. Walking Pinehurst was awesome as is Bethpage as you are able to play the courses all the greats have. Especially Pinehurst. However, I'll very likely never set foot on Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Olympic, Brookline, etc... Pinehurst is a great test of golf, but I have to say the most special thing was the walk and knowing that Jack, Tiger, Payne, etc... all stood where I was standing. I wasn't expecting to feel that as I was focused on the golf, but it turned out to be the coolest part.

That said, you are right in that there aren't too many new places they could go. I used the top 100 You Can Play list to see what was out there, and there weren't many courses long or challenging enough for those guys...

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

And I mean that for public courses too, not just the exclusive places I've whined about. Do we need a 2021 Torrey Pines tournament to follow the 2008 one? A 2024 Pinehurst one to follow the 2014 one? Oakmont in 2025? Shinnecock in 2026? Pebble Beach in 2027? I don't think so. I like all those courses, but its an uninspiring lineup overall. Hosting should be a once in a generation event, not once every 10 years.

> @SullGolf said:

> And I mean that for public courses too, not just the exclusive places I've whined about. Do we need a 2021 Torrey Pines tournament to follow the 2008 one? A 2024 Pinehurst one to follow the 2014 one? Oakmont in 2025? Shinnecock in 2026? Pebble Beach in 2027? I don't think so. I like all those courses, but its an uninspiring lineup overall. Hosting should be a once in a generation event, not once every 10 years.

Just a terrible, uninspiring lineup for the next 10 years - all courses we've seen before. Nothing to get overly excited about.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

Cally Rogue ST Max 3w - Ventus Blue 6s

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @SullGolf said:

> > And I mean that for public courses too, not just the exclusive places I've whined about. Do we need a 2021 Torrey Pines tournament to follow the 2008 one? A 2024 Pinehurst one to follow the 2014 one? Oakmont in 2025? Shinnecock in 2026? Pebble Beach in 2027? I don't think so. I like all those courses, but its an uninspiring lineup overall. Hosting should be a once in a generation event, not once every 10 years.

>

> Just a terrible, uninspiring lineup for the next 10 years - all courses we've seen before. Nothing to get overly excited about.

Was able to get good use out of the disagree button for this one:) I like the list. Love watching Pebble and we get that twice. The Country Club and LA North are two highly regarded courses that I'm interested in seeing. Then you add what has/will be the stable rota of US Open courses, Oakmont, Shinny, Winged Foot, Pinehurst.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

I think DC was juts being sarcastic, but I'm not positive.

The current US Open schedule is risk free. They'll make money. There won't be major flops except if they create it themselves. I'll watch all of them and enjoy it. But it's unimaginative. It's like they combined a bunch of market data that told them how to maximize their revenue and then executed on it. It was probably analyzed by an MBA consultant who doesn't even play golf.

> @SullGolf said:

> I think DC was juts being sarcastic, but I'm not positive.

I was mostly being dead serious. Unimaginative is maybe a better word. But its almost as if they tried to break out of their box at Erin Hills at Chambers and they heard so much whining about it that they went running back to their safe list.

Could we maybe at least agree to not call Shinnecock Hills, "Shinny" anymore, please?

It's up there with the use of "pure" as an adjective to describe anything golf related, particularly courses.

The newest annoying trend popping up are the "if you know, you know" posts. Where somebody posts a picture of a nondescript landmark at a really exclusive course (like a mailbox with just a street number on it, for example), and gives it that caption.

> @HighBoomingDraws said:

> Is there zero chance they’d have it at chambers bay again? I feel like they could learn from their mistakes the first time. That was a good watch on tv as well.

I feel like the just had a piece on Golf Channel - and by just I mean this week - about the new greens at Chambers and how they are hoping for another major.

> @dcmidnight said:

> Around this time of year you always hear a lot of tough talk from the ~~players~~ fans about the USGA and how they hate the setups and hate this and hate that and blah blah blah. Normally I just find it annoying - and I hate the USGA as much as anyone - but it seems to me that they are even more outspoken this year. At some point, the ~~players~~ fans are going to be in a put up or shut up spot. Either STFU and dont ~~play~~ watch the US Open or STFU and ~~play~~ watch the US Open. No one loves the USGA setups, just quit the constant complaining about it.

Well said.

> @baddomes said:

> I would prefer they never play at Chambers again on the extreme chance that I am out there with the ability to play it but it's closed for US open prep.

>

That's how I feel about Augusta. Find a new course for the Masters, I want to play that one.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

> @siegel159 said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > I would prefer they never play at Chambers again on the extreme chance that I am out there with the ability to play it but it's closed for US open prep.

> >

>

> That's how I feel about Augusta. Find a new course for the Masters, I want to play that one.

>

Tennis has the grand slams figured out - no venue changes

> @SullGolf said:

> I think DC was juts being sarcastic, but I'm not positive.

>

> It was probably analyzed by an MBA consultant who doesn't even play golf.

Bayrat?

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Bulle Rock. Narrow fairways grow the rough. Have at it boys!!

When Bulle first opened there was an article saying how tough it was and could hold a major. A couple years later another article about Justin Leonard stopped in to play based on the hoopla. He said he could not believe how hard and good it was. He could not reach the 9th fairway. ( Although that doesn't mean it's a good course. It just stuck out.) Love to see it to really shake the "rota" up! But it will never happen. In the middle of nowheresville.

> @baddomes said:

> I would prefer they never play at Chambers again on the extreme chance that I am out there with the ability to play it but it's closed for US open prep.

>

> They're also bulldozing the best tee boxes on that property (9th - Downhill par 3 that is awesome) to make way for a resort. That annoys me a lot.

>

> View from the 9th (new tees are on the very right of this picture. Will be a flat par 3):

>

> ![](https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/H59zaXxFGxAgizktVtDwj44WGh8ou2U5mNQvDwIYn0Bpzzj_SQAlOWW4QvcmZWQ_rfEPokn_nzvXwlw3SNE481y04M7V7ueb28OTThtGmAyOcQNKHgIuRF-EX2_3ltdS9VHqG8n6Mo1ahab6KwfNIitfkOk3IeoZ4ID6Xk22qnhlIVXiQ8ZwclLnva48hcLWGfU2BoRExuQ4osryJCDEI-tFEQU96fCQW12MDroE2urYGi-mzpYMVehbWlp32jSW6hY0ycfSlz9XmhesFyP69bCEvrxaNSoinqKaFVrae9LwG-yScN31XefDjomdihX30MxhGug1qKCfaOqNpDmGplM5q64aotkBrYBqm__kksIu-m0jL5czJYNT9JztOf-GO_xRt4tNEKtjZJJLtVZOci8MPEduyMvYyWyhLgLEJGEFzjG0x1chsahhf5K4JYg-jBRaJXaJPUyLdt1i7oi_eF8b6Q6iB9BlDIdwkLK3E0NlWxXscLPLFWICtch06C0dke08ohp91dmSlRgdcIzHmm9sZk0CusXMIhpzeNv7Xaz0FLnh8piWJKP-FC8hn7Oy1dNBmJu9uRnQD4X2qyqm2pGF57CPovrcHipa4LKgM-ec7b9gsViRTKsb8T8DMTXgWHngsaJisDIn7BPUp0wLmjtrl7EwQALo=w1271-h953-no-tmp.jpg "")

>

>

>

>

This is a blog post by one of the Pierce Co. Council members about the development at Chambers. Includes a worthwhile look at the finances. Chambers is currently losing money to the tune of $1.9mil/yr (I don't know how much of the current loss is due to closing to put new greens in).

https://medium.com/@derekmyoung/explaining-my-vote-on-the-resort-at-chambers-bay-f85927aa2b36

Below is another Councilmembers op-ed. Both provide some interesting context for the costs/benefits associated with publicly funded golf courses.

https://tacomaweekly.com/guest-editorial/guest-opinion-chambers-bay-resort-project-needs-to-be-done-with-the-public-in-mind/

Regardless, I'm 100% certain they can figure out a way to do this without eliminating the 9th tee box.

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @SullGolf said:

> > I think DC was juts being sarcastic, but I'm not positive.

>

> I was mostly being dead serious. Unimaginative is maybe a better word. But its almost as if they tried to break out of their box at Erin Hills at Chambers and they heard so much whining about it that they went running back to their safe list.

I get that. But where would you like to see them play it? Other than Bandon/Sand Hills/Sand Valley?

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Since I know you are all so deeply interested in the finances and politics of municipal golf, Seattle-area golf in particular, you might find these two articles interesting. Seattle is considering what to do with its 3 1/2 courses. Provides pretty in-depth discussion of costs and pressures on municipal courses.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/golf/seattle-considering-what-to-do-with-4-public-golf-courses-and-528-acres-of-green-space-they-cover/

https://thecisforcrank.com/2019/04/16/golf-revenues-remain-on-downward-trajectory-raising-questions-about-sustainability/

• Like 1