The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

Euros setup the course up perfect. US open type rough and slower greens. The only Americans not afraid to run a putt 2-3 feet by are spite hand Thomas. The rest are playing scared. There are way too many Americans missing fairways with fairway woods and even irons for godsake. To make matters worse they all look gassed. Way too much golf played by them leading up to this event. Terrible lead up. I think a week off would have made a difference. Made them sharper. I’m just spitballing but man

The 6 Euro players in the Tour Championship played just as many (I think all the top players had almost identical scheds from the PGA to the Ryder Cup) events as the US Players and they might have added in a quick trip home across the pond in between as well.

Except most of the Euro's played those courses their entire lives until they were good enough to make it to the PGA Tour and the USA team (except for Reed) has almost zero experience on Euro courses.

Brooks spent 2012-2014 Playing in Europe full time.

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's no coincidence that Thomas has been the best US player so far. The stat I read earlier was that the US team had played 8 competitive rounds over Le Golf National before this week. The European Team had 230+. If the Ryder Cup was a big picture thing for the US team, that stat wouldn't be as skewed as it is.

Unfortunately from the American perspective I don't think the leaders will learn from that like they should. Even if the course is not a regular tour stop like this one, you can at least have plenty of practice sessions among the team members before the event. I get the sense they have never really done that on the U.S. side of it.

Maybe it will come up in the next taskforce! Haha.

I don't have much faith in the old guard to figure that out, lol. Youngster J-Thomas figured it out on his own this time.

This Ryder cup makes me realize the USGA or the PGA or whoever should truly evaluate the state of golf in the American PGA tour.

Big, wide fairways with no rough anywhere and super hard firm fairways is easy bomb and gouge golf.

The US team average 131st in driving accuracy? Gimme a break.

I've enjoyed watching players who spray it 20 yards off line being truly penalized for terrible shots. You hit it in the wrong spot and you can't just flop a lob wedge out there and make birdie.

This has been a nice eye opener IMO.

I agree. This is the same argument you get prior to the US Open. Judging by the "I don't get why people like watching pro's make bogies" comments in those threads, most US fans enjoy the bomb n gouge game. I am not one of them. These RC performances are really no surprise in recent years when you take in all the factors. The biggest in my opinion is the EU players having to play both types of golf often throughout a year. It gives them a decided advantage in home years and greatly reduces the US home advantage as the record clearly shows.

I also don't get why people get so much more worked up over it vs a major for example. On the surface, the US vs EU would be the reason, but to me with almost all of the players base camping in the US and playing against each other all season long takes that away. If the 2 tours and players on those tours were truly separate and this event was one of the few times they squared off, the RC would be out of this world. As is it's meh

It's no coincidence that Thomas has been the best US player so far. The stat I read earlier was that the US team had played 8 competitive rounds over Le Golf National before this week. The European Team had 230+. If the Ryder Cup was a big picture thing for the US team, that stat wouldn't be as skewed as it is.

Unfortunately from the American perspective I don't think the leaders will learn from that like they should. Even if the course is not a regular tour stop like this one, you can at least have plenty of practice sessions among the team members before the event. I get the sense they have never really done that on the U.S. side of it.

Right, lol....If the United States don’t bring the cup back, Phil Mickleson will trash Furyk, like he did Watson, because, you know, Phil is a man of great character, lol.....

Phil reminds me of David Simms in Tin Cup.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Webb should have played 4balls. Tiger/Reed should’ve split after day 1. Phil in 4somes??? Can’t sit the POY on day 1. Bjorn did a great job of switching up pairings. Rory stunk at 4balls in the AM so he paired him somebody who could get him going...Poulter. I know it comes down to players needing to actually hit some fairways, but Furyk has been out-captained.

It is going to come down to who wants it more.

To offer an equally inane comment to an inane comment:

It is going to come down to who putts better.

the team with the most points will win, book it

You got it, lol....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)

Can a player turn down to play the RC when he is qualified or picked (without faking a injury or family desaster etc)? Just wondering...

Wow, thanks for calling me stupid, lol.....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

Unless it finishes 14-14...

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 15* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I’m done making excuses for tiger in this event. If he managed 1 freakin point it’s 9-7 or 1.5 and it’s 8.5-7.5.

He just doesn’t have it in this event ever. 13-20-3 is embarrassing for a golfing great. Without his singles wins it’s 9-19-1.

I’m done with him in this event.

How can you be done? You never started. You've been using to Tiger's play to excuse Phil's play for the last 95 pages. We get it. They've both played like crap. For someone that claims to be a Tiger fan, you spend an awful lot of time and effort proving other wise. Why do you get so upset when people comment on how poorly Phil is playing and reply with ",but Tiger" ? It sounds oddly similar to all your complaints of why you don't like Tiger fans.

Right, lol....If the United States don’t bring the cup back, Phil Mickleson will trash Furyk, like he did Watson, because, you know, Phil is a man of great character, lol.....

Phil has just not felt invested in the process! Haha.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Unless it finishes 14-14...

Please, please, don’t say that, lol....

Phil has just not felt invested in the process! Haha.

Of course, hahahahaha!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

Youre really challenging ferguson for the biggest Phil hater on the site!! well played. Seriously, if you think hes the problem this week...

Watson deserved Phils scold because he rejected the players input all throughout the process that year so when they lost he echoed what the players believed. It took balls to call out a legend like that and it could only be a legend like him who could call out watson. Lets not forget Phil put his money where his mouth was in 2016 and played inspired golf at hazeltine. Lets see Tiger say something fiery for once at this event. Guy DGAF and people on here will defend him for that.At least Phil is engaging the team and doing his best.Look at how Spieth and Thomas are gravitating towards him. This has been probably our 100th post crapping on Phil but just take a second and be fair about whats really going on here. theres no fire

Youre really challenging ferguson for the biggest Phil hater on the site!! well played. Seriously, if you think hes the problem this week...

Watson deserved Phils scold because he rejected the players input all throughout the process that year so when they lost he echoed what the players believed. It took balls to call out a legend like that and it could only be a legend like him who could call out watson. Lets not forget Phil put his money where his mouth was in 2016 and played inspired golf at hazeltine. Lets see Tiger say something fiery for once at this event. Guy DGAF and people on here will defend him for that.At least Phil is engaging the team and doing his best.Look at how Spieth and Thomas are gravitating towards him. This has been probably our 100th post crapping on Phil but just take a second and be fair about whats really going on here. theres no fire

No, no, no, I don’t hate Phil.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

Actually, Simms was based on Fred Couples.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

This Ryder cup makes me realize the USGA or the PGA or whoever should truly evaluate the state of golf in the American PGA tour.

Big, wide fairways with no rough anywhere and super hard firm fairways is easy bomb and gouge golf.

The US team average 131st in driving accuracy? Gimme a break.

I've enjoyed watching players who spray it 20 yards off line being truly penalized for terrible shots. You hit it in the wrong spot and you can't just flop a lob wedge out there and make birdie.

This has been a nice eye opener IMO.

That is a really good point.

A player like Kevin Kisner might have been a really good addition to the US Team.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I'm almost wondering if Zach and Kuchar should have been picks? Seems like a track suited for them.

In that instance he should have gone full 'wildcard' with a pick and taken Julian Suri ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Actually, Simms was based on Fred Couples.

Wow, I’m surprised, but thanks for the 411.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

I'm almost wondering if Zach and Kuchar should have been picks? Seems like a track suited for them.

Great point, Kuch and ZJ must be walking round watching the US team missing fairways for fun thinking, I could be doing better than that! Heck Furyk must be thinking the same thing.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I’m done making excuses for tiger in this event. If he managed 1 freakin point it’s 9-7 or 1.5 and it’s 8.5-7.5.

He just doesn’t have it in this event ever. 13-20-3 is embarrassing for a golfing great. Without his singles wins it’s 9-19-1.

I’m done with him in this event.

How can you be done? You never started. You've been using to Tiger's play to excuse Phil's play for the last 95 pages. We get it. They've both played like crap. For someone that claims to be a Tiger fan, you spend an awful lot of time and effort proving other wise. Why do you get so upset when people comment on how poorly Phil is playing and reply with ",but Tiger" ? It sounds oddly similar to all your complaints of why you don't like Tiger fans.

Bud go look up my posts calling for tiger to be on this team in july.I thought he and phil would step it up because it might be their last ryder cup on foreign soil and illicit some emotion some win one for the gippers from the other guys. i was dead wrong Im saying "but tiger" because hes lost all 3 matches brutally.Phil has lost 1. Tiger has looked bad and i mean really bad yet in here all this is transpiring "because Phil" give me a break. lets be at least honest. I am a tiger fan regardless of your comment but i also have eyes. it was a mistake to play him 3 matches and in the end it will cost team USA.What did Furyk see this morning in tiger that would say to him, "you know all he needs is another partner and he'll takeoff". He was crap on his own ball, short on every putt, couldnt hit the fairway. i mean if he was driving it great or spot on with his irons or making all kinds of putts sure give him the benefit of the doubt but man what a terrible mistake. you could see it in molinari and fleetwoods eyes, they knew they won before they teed it up against him.

Come on man, lets be real here.You want to defend tiger go for it, im done doing it. Freaking Gator and BSc have quit on him in this event, thats all you need to know

Can a player turn down to play the RC when he is qualified or picked (without faking a injury or family desaster etc)? Just wondering...

Pretty sure that Sandy Lyle did that back in 1989 and there was US player (the name escapes me) who also refused to go.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I know of a little someone who should have done that, lol.....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

Pretty sure that Sandy Lyle did that back in 1989 and there was US player (the name escapes me) who also refused to go.

Weiskopf, who famously preferred to go hunting.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.