Taylormade Tour Issue 2016-2018 M Series Drivers....Trackman Comparison Data

TollBros

No real surprise.

The OG M2 is a Monster as it has always been

The 2017 M2 was a step Backwards

The M4 was a step foward again going back to the OG M2 Roots

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No real surprise.

The 2017 M2 was as step Backwards

Yes, and I'd like to add, twist face DOES actually work and indeed does help with dispersion and accuracy. It's not going to turn that slice into the woods into a fairway finder, but it will keep a ball normally in the rough by 10 feet, in the fairway by a similar margin.

No real surprise.

Yes, and I'd like to add, twist face DOES actually work and indeed does help with dispersion and accuracy. It's not going to turn that slice into the woods into a fairway finder, but it will keep a ball normally in the rough by 10 feet, in the fairway by a similar margin.

You've said it in this thread, based on dispersion alone, m4 is far superior to anything TM had made. So TM has a driver that keeps up with 16 m2 on distance and has much tighter dispersion...everyone who's a TM fan (or just looking for a better driver than what's in their bag) should be reaching out to you for a M4.

No real surprise.

You've said it in this thread, based on dispersion alone, m4 is far superior to anything TM had made. So TM has a driver that keeps up with 16 m2 on distance and has much tighter dispersion...everyone who's a TM fan (or just looking for a better driver than what's in their bag) should be reaching out to you for a M4.

If you believe everything a manufacturer or retailer ever tells you about their product then you will go broke. Not saying these tests are worthless but you have to take everything with a grain of salt. I appreciate tollbros post but when is last time they posted new product and said they don't like it or thought it wasn't good for most people?

Like I said I appreciate the posts, for instance what he wrote about lofting down but using heavier weight makes total sense

No real surprise.

If you believe everything a manufacturer or retailer ever tells you about their product then you will go broke. Not saying these tests are worthless but you have to take everything with a grain of salt. I appreciate tollbros post but when is last time they posted new product and said they don't like it or thought it wasn't good for most people?

Like I said I appreciate the posts, for instance what he wrote about lofting down but using heavier weight makes total sense

Ah, yes, the naysayer.

I have been playing the 16 m2 for 2 years. I demoed the m4; on launch monitors and on course. I bought one 3 weeks ago. I have missed 7 total fairways the last 3 rounds and have hit the m4 to spots my m2 didn't sniff.

So everything that toll is saying is true.

And, for full disclosure, if you check this thread you'll see that i did not purchase from toll. So i have no affiliation. But give the guy credit. He's showing data, of multiple swing speeds, comparing multiple heads.

No real surprise.

Ah, yes, the naysayer.

I have been playing the 16 m2 for 2 years. I demoed the m4; on launch monitors and on course. I bought one 3 weeks ago. I have missed 7 total fairways the last 3 rounds and have hit the m4 to spots my m2 didn't sniff.

So everything that toll is saying is true.

And, for full disclosure, if you check this thread you'll see that i did not purchase from toll. So i have no affiliation. But give the guy credit. He's showing data, of multiple swing speeds, comparing multiple heads.

I'm giving him credit too. The tests are very interesting and I appreciate them a lot. Not a naysayer, a realist.

5 people hitting a head better doesn't mean it's better. small sample size. It's definitely more solid than single person anecdotes but not definitive by any means.

No real surprise.

I loved this test Toll it was one of the best reads of 2018, I hope you guys keep doing these type of tests!!!

Twist face is helpful, I agree it's not life changing but I did notice my low heel misses were MUCH more manageable this year.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

No real surprise.

I loved this test Toll it was one of the best reads of 2018, I hope you guys keep doing these type of tests!!!

Twist face is helpful, I agree it's not life changing but I did notice my low heel misses were MUCH more manageable this year.

Thank you. Also I have no issues with any person questioning anything. It's why we show data and do a reasonable sample size to show affects at different speeds. Also, we test a lot of stuff that really isn't great and is very unspectacular. I don't like posting that type of stuff. It's not our objective to bash products or make companies look bad. We prefer to simply report on products that test very well, and of course anything that can also help us pay the bills warrants company time and resources invested. Without being able to sell product, we wouldn't be able to do any of these data and review threads. In the end, some products we love and report on. Some we don't, and just don't talk about. We do also always try to provide comparative data so that customers can choose for themselves if something applies to their wants and needs, or it doesn't. I also think for the most part, other than certain anomalies, people will see our data validated if they test for themselves. Ultimately our threads are meant to help everyone, no matter if you buy from us or not, which is why the content is not paywalled.

Not sure if I missed it or not, but can anyone suggest why the m2 17 is such a dog in the group? I just bought one, doh.

Unfortunately I don't have that answer at all. We just test them and report the data. Now I wouldn't call it a dog exactly, but based on just about everything I know, you'd be better off with the M2 2016 or M4 head instead. If it's new, return it, and go with one of the other years instead.

Not sure if I missed it or not, but can anyone suggest why the m2 17 is such a dog in the group? I just bought one, doh.

At least you didn't look at this data and realize your '17 M1 has been lagging behind for the past two seasons! Still, I think that head looks and sounds great. No complaints whatsoever and it was by no means short.

M3 in cooler weather was carrying about as far, and that was with spin that might even be too low. I got a good deal on an M4 head that I'm trying out the next two days after reading through this.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

So what do we have to do to become a tester? Are you near NY? I'm right between you and Ricky Z. :)

Haha. Great thread as always and awesome info. Personally, the only M head I've ever really liked the sound/feel of was the 2016 M1/M2. That was also my favorite looking head. The numbers don't lie and I've heard it time and time again that the 2016 M heads were the best so far. I smell a 1st gen M1/M2 vs. M5/M6 test!?!!?

I've always played an older Callaway head until upgrading and currently testing Epic SZ vs. King LTD Pro. Always nice to see your threads, which are well-written and obviously the method of your testing speaks for itself. Thanks again for this info.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

At least you didn't look at this data and realize your '17 M1 has been lagging behind for the past two seasons! Still, I think that head looks and sounds great. No complaints whatsoever and it was by no means short.

M3 in cooler weather was carrying about as far, and that was with spin that might even be too low. I got a good deal on an M4 head that I'm trying out the next two days after reading through this.

I can't imagine you won't find the M4 and upgrade from the 17 heads. Good luck and hopefully you'll grab some extra yards AND accuracy with the move.

So what do we have to do to become a tester? Are you near NY? I'm right between you and Ricky Z. :)

Haha. Great thread as always and awesome info. Personally, the only M head I've ever really liked the sound/feel of was the 2016 M1/M2. That was also my favorite looking head. The numbers don't lie and I've heard it time and time again that the 2016 M heads were the best so far. I smell a 1st gen M1/M2 vs. M5/M6 test!?!!?

I've always played an older Callaway head until upgrading and currently testing Epic SZ vs. King LTD Pro. Always nice to see your threads, which are well-written and obviously the method of your testing speaks for itself. Thanks again for this info.

First off thank you for the comments. Shoot me a DM and I'll let you know how and where to apply.

As for testing, we have already tested the new M heads. I just cannot discuss it quite yet, but fairly soon. And for the record, I still play my 2016 M2 8.5 head. The M4 is giving me very close results as you can see, but it's about comfort more than anything for me at this point. However if that head ever fails it's nice to know M4 is a seemless transition.

Also, LTD pro was a very unappreciated head and right on par with just about everything released during that period. We still have 2 testers that play it.

. . .

As for testing, we have already tested the new M heads. I just cannot discuss it quite yet, but fairly soon.

. . .

Also, LTD pro was a very unappreciated head and right on par with just about everything released during that period. We still have 2 testers that play it.

Waiting (im)patiently for your feedback on the new M drivers.

Will be testing an LTD Pro shortly, just because it's winter and I have nothing better to do. lol

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

. . .

As for testing, we have already tested the new M heads. I just cannot discuss it quite yet, but fairly soon.

. . .

Waiting (im)patiently for your feedback on the new M drivers.

Will be testing an LTD Pro shortly, just because it's winter and I have nothing better to do. lol

I believe I can release that data sometime next month. Retail reviews should be out all over in the next couple days. However apples to apples, exact spec Tour data isn't something I can release just yet.

I can't imagine you won't find the M4 and upgrade from the 17 heads. Good luck and hopefully you'll grab some extra yards AND accuracy with the move.

I played 9 holes yesterday in 40 degree weather and came away ready to sell the M3 head. The M4 is just great! My results were pretty on point with the data in this thread. I have a 9.2 M4 head that's launching slightly higher than a 9.5 M3. It was just as long, splitting use between a Duo Pro and a Z-Star. I normally play the XV/TP5x but not in this weather.

Downside- when I purchased my head, there was a slight miscommunication and my M4 head weighs 193g on its own. It was tough to feel with all those layers on, and I usually like my driver heads around 200g (not including the adapter).

Now it's either hotmelt or an aftermarket weight. Can I get some opinions on whether that's (7-8g) too much melt? I don't want the head to sound dead and don't have any reference for how much affect that much melt would have.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I played 9 holes yesterday in 40 degree weather and came away ready to sell the M3 head. The M4 is just great! My results were pretty on point with the data in this thread. I have a 9.2 M4 head that's launching slightly higher than a 9.5 M3. It was just as long, splitting use between a Duo Pro and a Z-Star. I normally play the XV/TP5x but not in this weather.

Downside- when I purchased my head, there was a slight miscommunication and my M4 head weighs 193g on its own. It was tough to feel with all those layers on, and I usually like my driver heads around 200g (not including the adapter).

Now it's either hotmelt or an aftermarket weight. Can I get some opinions on whether that's (7-8g) too much melt? I don't want the head to sound dead and don't have any reference for how much affect that much melt would have.

7-8g of melt is perfectly fine.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Great thread, thanks for all of the posts/comments.

As it relates to COR, if one M4 driver head is in the 242 range whereas another is 248, what type of distance difference is usually observed on similarly/identically struck balls?

less than 1 yard. the difference between very low CT and the max is like a couple yards. 6 points is a microscopic difference.

I'd adjust it with the external weight as much as possible so if/when you ever decide to sell it, that it isn't too heavy for almost anyone else. Also if you need a backup, let us know. We have full stock. :)

As it relates to COR, if one M4 driver head is in the 242 range whereas another is 248, what type of distance difference is usually observed on similarly/identically struck balls?

About 1-1.5 yards of carry distance. Now don't buy a head that isn't in the mid 240 range at least. Anything under that is a dud. Everything we carry is 245-252 CT.

less than 1 yard. the difference between very low CT and the max is like a couple yards. 6 points is a microscopic difference.

About 1-1.5 yards of carry distance. Now don't buy a head that isn't in the mid 240 range at least. Anything under that is a dud. Everything we carry is 245-252 CT.

Thanks for the info! I was wondering if the difference was more pronounced than a few yards.

Thanks for the info! I was wondering if the difference was more pronounced than a few yards.

Not really. For me personally I'd rather have a head that was spot on for face angle and measured loft and say 245 CT as opposed to one that wasn't spec'd to what I needed but was 252. You clearly don't want some 239 CT dud, but .005 or so isn't going to make much difference.

Found the one thing the m4 doesn't have over the 16 m2....off the deck

Off the deck, my 9.5 16 m2 was easy to hit. My 8.5 m4 is...a no go. Can't even elevate it.

With all due respect, that's what 3 woods are for. Haha.

Well, ya...but, 260-270, into the wind, I could bust that m2 and get there. It was also a really handy shot to play on par 4 holes that were 400-420 and into the wind. Line up down the left side and just bust it.

Found the one thing the m4 doesn't have over the 16 m2....off the deck

Off the deck, my 9.5 16 m2 was easy to hit. My 8.5 m4 is...a no go. Can't even elevate it.

With all due respect, that's what 3 woods are for. Haha.

Well, ya...but, 260-270, into the wind, I could bust that m2 and get there. It was also a really handy shot to play on par 4 holes that were 400-420 and into the wind. Line up down the left side and just bust it.

I think you just need a deep faced 3 wood like M6 Tour or M2 2016 deep face. Spin rates off the deck for me are only about 400 higher than my driver off the tee.

Great reading I must say

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71