Mizuno TP-9 forged blades

MightyMark

Anyone have experience with these?
I had a 3month affair with a "borrowed" set of Titleist 690.mb.
They fit my eye and my swing, My friend decided not to sell and put them back in his bag.
A new acquaintance suggested that he had a set that might interest me. I knew instantly!
I now own Mizuno TP-9, 3-9 with S400's. First available 1986.
I will be checking lofts today. They may have been modernized, as my regular range targets seem to correspond in club selection.
If I need to bend, I will most likely buy an MPseries 50* and bend to 48* to be my PW.
Faldo won the British Open with these. They were, and are, only special order and very popular on the European Tour.

I certainly have!

My first two sets were both TP9s. I actually learnt to play with a set of cut down TP9s that my dad got from a friend who was a pro when I took up the game.

They were already pretty worn when I got them, but I wore them out completely in a couple of years. I then got another set to replace them and after 3 years of play and practice they ended up with virtually no chrome left on the faces and soles. I've still got them in my club store - no numbers left on the soles from the 7 iron down, and the bottom 3 or 4 grooves have disapperaed completely on the wedge.

Fantastic clubs. There was a time when Mizuno reigned supreme on the European tour in iron usage and nearly everyone played TP Originals or TP9s. Sandy Lyle and Olazabal both played them, as did Faldo for a time.

Which ones have you got?

The earliest (1986 or so) models are stamped Tour Pro and TP-9 on the wingback. The later models were stamped Tour Proven and the TP-9 stamp was on the hosel. The later models also had a hideous (IMO) white-filled bottom groove too.

They weren't special order (at least not in the UK) but were part of the regular Tour Proven Lineup, folowing on from the TP-5 and preceding the TP-11 that was launched in '88.

Faldo played them in the '88 US Open, but didn't win it by the way! He did win his first Masters with them though, in '89 and the PGA and World Matchplay with a set. The best shot I've ever seen in person was hit by him into the 18th at Wentworth - a high fade with a 1 iron that set up the winning eagle.

As an aside, I think the standard wedge loft was 50 degrees.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Olazabal was using them right before he switched to MacGregor a few years back. Ive never hit them but Ive always wanted a set. I'd love a set of wingbacks. They re released them in Left Handed in the states I guess to get rid of any extras. This was about 5 years ago.

Cant beat any Mizuno club.

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

I had a set of MP-9's back in the Late 80's 2-pw with S-300's that I put hand wrapped Black Neuman Calfskin grips. They were one of my favorite sets of all time.....enjoy.

I had to go back and doo some photo research.....I had the MP-9's...they look very much like the new Titliest blades to me.

Ping 410 Lst 9 w/ Black Rdx smoke 6.0

Cally Sub Zero 15 with Fuji Xlr8 Pro 73 TS
Cally Big Bertha Alpa 816 5wd 18 Aldila Rogue 70 R
Cally Epic Tour issue 4 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 65s
Cally X-Tour (1st gen) w XP/95 R-300 5-pw
Cally Pm19 54/58 w/KBS Hi Rev 115
Taylor Spider Tour black with white T

They fit my eye and my swing, My friend decided not to sell and put them back in his bag.

A new acquaintance suggested that he had a set that might interest me. I knew instantly!

I will be checking lofts today. They may have been modernized, as my regular range targets seem to correspond in club selection.

If I need to bend, I will most likely buy an MPseries 50* and bend to 48* to be my PW.

Faldo won the U.S. Open with these. They were, and are, only special order and very popular on the European Tour.

Faldo won a US Open?

Great set of blades.

Overachieving Underachiever

I have owned 2 sets of TP-9 irons over the years and believe they were as soft feeling as any irons you will ever hit. Even had a set rechromed. The only thing I didn't like about the set was the appearance of the PW at address. It had a little more offset than the other irons, even the 9 iron had less.

I play left-handed and it felt nice that Mizuno only made this set left-handed, at least in this country, when I bought them. They have a super thing top line and sole. You could hit any shot you want with these irons. Just beautiful.

Joe-

How does the MS-11 compare to the TP-9?

Is the TP-9 the other set you were talking about on the phone?

MS was Japan ISsue ad MP was US issue.

Gawt! I just woke up a monster again. LOL!

They are different look in head shape. If i can recall the TP is longer toe to heel. MS11 is more compact true blade look. MS11 is more of a curve mucle line and MP9 is more of a straight mucle line.

MS11/MP11

MS4

MP9

TP11 tour proven

TP 2000

TN 87 of course! ;)

MP29 too of course! :clapping:

Those are a few i can remember on top of my head that i think i like the head shape design. Some other model with wing tip muscle line was popular to back then. I remember Olazabal used to play with one of them with wing tip design.

Back in the day, I almost have every Mizzy irons that were famous from winning tournaments after tournaments. :ok: YES, I was bad! :)

Edit: Sorry I got mixed up with MP-9 on this post...TP 9 is a left handed model. :D with wing tip muscle design. MP9 is the one straight line muscle design. Duh! It shows how forgetful I am now. :wacko:

Joe

MS was Japan ISsue ad MP was US issue.

Not initially. In the early to mid 1980s, the MS line was available everywhere, for example the MS-1 and MS-11 were available in the US/Japan/Europe. The MS-3, MS-4 and MS-5 were for sure US and Japan releases, not sure about Europe. The MS-7 and MS-9 for the US market first and then made it to the others.

Problem is there is no definitive split for what was available where. Supposedly the MS models that had 3 digit numbers, ie MS-207, MS-211 were Japan only. But other irons like the MS-801 were available in the US through authorized distributors as well.

It gets even more confusing because some stuff got renamed after they decided to try the MS/MP/TP split. For example, the MS-9 which had already been in the US for years was reintroduced as the MP-9 when they made that decision.

I remember talking to David Duval's father one day and he had a set of Mizuno Pro's. They looked like the MP-29's but they only had the Mizuno M and Mizuno Pro on them. The M had a red line under it. I think they were TN87 and had some copper layer under them.

Rumor is that David Duval after switching from the Cleveland 588's had mizuno make the MP-14's for him. They do look alike esp in the eairler mp14's with the rounder toes.

Just throwing that out there for more talk.

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

• 1 month later...

Faldo won the U.S. Open with these. They were, and are, only special order and very popular on the European Tour.

Faldo won a US Open?

Great set of blades.

I'm pretty sure MightyMark meant the British Open. :) He's getting up there in years. :D

My info shows TP-9 came out in 1986. I stand corrected...production years 1999-2000.

I also read that Nick Faldo played the TP-9's in the mid/late 80's like the one's below.

Can't be sure of this, but it's true they went into full production in '99. According to Mizuno.

unknown.jpg

Faldo won a US Open?

Great set of blades.

I'm pretty sure MightyMark meant the British Open. :) He's getting up there in years. :D

My info shows TP-9 came out in 1986. I stand corrected...production years 1999-2000.

I also read that Nick Faldo played the TP-9's in the mid/late 80's like the one's below.

Can't be sure of this, but it's true they went into full production in '99. According to Mizuno.

unknown.jpg

Kinda remind me of the Vega blades.

EPIC SZ 10.5 Ozik 70M5 X
EPIC SZ 15 Ozik 80M5 X
Steelhead XR Pro 3i Tour-V X
Apex Pro 16 4i-9i C-Taper X
MD3 49.11S, 56.10S C-Taper X
PM Grind 60.06
Spalding TPM8
Chrome Soft X

Confused about the TP-9 production years being 1999-2000. I had one of the first sets of these from the Mizuno rep. in the UK when I was either 17 or 18, which was unfortunately in 1986 or 1987. Still got them in the garage and, apart from the totally dead shafts, they are still lovely blades.

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

I think Faldo went to the TP19s in either 1991 or 1992. He won at Muirfield with TP19s in '92, and was playing a set of Mizuno blades (which looked like TN87s) in the Birkdale Open the peceding year (In an Adams bag)

As I remember, he played that model for a long time - right up to his last Masters win I think.

Mr Mizuno: I was never keen on the 18s. The hosel was a bit funny and I never liked the three-deck muscle... Anders Forsbrand played well with a set though as I recall.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal