So, I got a warning - Junior Tourney - Rule

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will look into the book, I believe from my own kids junior experience, your reaction to prior posts and to the rules official "reminder" that maybe you are one of "those parents."

I appreciate your feedback.

However...if being one of "those parents" means me squatting down behind my (7-8 year old division) son's putts to try to help him read it...then getting frustrated by the stupidity of a new rule...then feel free to categorize me as you see fit to do so.

I may be the minority's here but there is nothing wrong with helping a kid learn how to read the green and the dad talking to his kid.

Having a dad be your caddie and help you navigate your course is what makes junior golf so great. There is nothing wrong with that. Officials are just being overzealous with the rules and calling everyone out even if there in the wrong.

The rule is for the dads who stand directly behind the kid and aim all the kid does is swing the club or hit the putter.

There is a big difference what was described here is really just a official that probably was told to call people out on it. Give it a few months and things will settle down. If we are talking about 7-8 year old kids you have to have a caddie who is actively involved for the vast majority of kids.

It must be such a tremendous effort for the player to make sure the caddy is nowhere behind him when he goes into his pre-shot routine.

I play 99 out 100 rounds with a caddy.

Even before this "stupid rule to make aiming a part of skill in golf" I have never had a caddy behind me when lining up.

It would actually bother me more than help me.

I will look into the book, I believe from my own kids junior experience, your reaction to prior posts and to the rules official "reminder" that maybe you are one of "those parents."

However...if being one of "those parents" means me squatting down behind my (7-8 year old division) son's putts to try to help him read it...then getting frustrated by the stupidity of a new rule...then feel free to categorize me as you see fit to do so.

I may be the minority's here but there is nothing wrong with helping a kid learn how to read the green and the dad talking to his kid.

Having a dad be your caddie and help you navigate your course is what makes junior golf so great. There is nothing wrong with that. Officials are just being overzealous with the rules and calling everyone out even if there in the wrong.

The rule is for the dads who stand directly behind the kid and aim all the kid does is swing the club or hit the putter.

There is a big difference what was described here is really just a official that probably was told to call people out on it. Give it a few months and things will settle down. If we are talking about 7-8 year old kids you have to have a caddie who is actively involved for the vast majority of kids.

I don't know how officials are instructed, but I hope that the direction to officials was "Help players and caddies become aware of the changes to the rules, particularly this one." Cautioning a caddie (parent) to help him avoid a future penalty is a long way from "calling him out," at least to me.

It sounds like he was trying to help you avoid a penalty in the future. Is there any way for the official to know how familiar you are with the rule change? I'm sure there are plenty of parents who are clueless to it and the official was probably instructed to inform any caddy about the change if it seemed necessary. I would have thanked him and told him that I am aware of the rule change.

I don't know how officials are instructed, but I hope that the direction to officials was "Help players and caddies become aware of the changes to the rules, particularly this one." Cautioning a caddie (parent) to help him avoid a future penalty is a long way from "calling him out," at least to me.

Most rule officials I have found are actually very aware they are running a kids tournament.

I have personally seen rules officials help kids out with rules and discussions and help them choose the best option or explain why they need to play faster. The best tournaments all do this sort of thing. They do this because they want the kids to learn. They also tend to issue warnings way more then should but in general I am okay with it.

When a parent gets in the way that is when it causes the most problems.

Last things first - "15 minutes later crickets" - YOU may spend your entire internet life here. I don't. (Just feels like it :lol: )

"Slow Play" - see below. ;)

We're playing in a local Tourney this weekend...and we're reading the green for my dude's putt.

I am several feet behind the ball and ballmarker...the ball is aligned close to its intended line and target...I'm squatting...and my dude is reading the break by looking over my shoulder.

I stay in the exact same squat I've been in...but...my dude breaks off and walks toward the ball. He is 18" away from the ball and he makes a practice swing. Mind you...I haven't said a damn thing since he broke away from me squatting and walked towards the ball.

I get up and walk to the side...he proceeds to putt.

About a minute later a rules official comes up to us and asks us to be careful so as to not cause a penalty.

This may sound silly...but I'm going to start taking the damned flagstick and circling the intended line on the green while he's already lined up. If he needs to readjust....fine. Then...I'll put the flagstick back in the hole afterwards. So much for speeding up the game.

I've said it before...and I'll say it again:

The new rule...as it's written...is one of the dumbest rules I've ever seen in Golf.

Wait...Dropping from knee high just phoned in and said "Hold my Beer".

I appreciate your choice of font color.

But...I never wrote anything about getting penalized for slow play.

I can also appreciate your penchant for Really large font styles.

The next time we get penalized for slow play will be the first time.

Pssst...I never said anything about slow play. At the very least...get your facts straight before hopping up on that high horse.

:rolleyes: You are right. You didn't say the WORDS "slow play". I did. YOU just described during your childish rant what you would do.

So of course YOU didn't write anything about getting penalized for slow play. *I* did, describing what should happen should you run around the green as you described.

I assume your next response will be something like "I never said the sky was blue". It'd make just as much sense. ;)

Good luck to you and your "dude". :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

You learn in practice. Gaining advice in a tournament to supplement a deficiency should not be allowed within the rules of golf. IMHO.

Be a caddy, carry the bag, and rake the bunkers. This isn't a team sport, it's stroke play. The golfer should be responsible for reading the line, choosing an aim point and yes club selection. It's a pet peeve... but hey that's me...These days of "we and my team" have gone too far.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

You learn in practice. Gaining advice in a tournament to supplement a deficiency should not be allowed within the rules of golf. IMHO.

Be a caddy, carry the bag, and rake the bunkers. This isn't a team sport, it's stroke play. The golfer should be responsible for reading the line, choosing an aim point and yes club selection. It's a pet peeve... but hey that's me...These days of "we and my team" have gone too far.

So in your mind, caddies should have no interaction with their player? Just keep your mouth shut and give me my club? That’s not exactly how it plays out every weekend on tour.

Contrary to your desire, caddies have become more integral to the tour player, whether it be emotional support, reading greens, club selection, yardages, etc. This has trickled down to juniors, for better or worse.

have you ever watched PGA LPGA golf before??? A Caddie job is just to rake the bunker and carry the bag?? Stroke Play not a team sport? WHATTT. So that must be why JT, Rickie, ect keep saying "we" in terms of their teams right. "We" won. Tiger's caddie never comes in for an assist on a read? Caddies don't assist with reading putts? Caddies job with the player is a team, they talk about yardage and club selection and the aiming point (ask tiger). Caddies job by the rules of golf are to assist the player if that means reading a putt so be if that means picking a target of wind direction so be it.

I love it when some weekend hack post something they know nothing about.

have you ever watched PGA LPGA golf before??? A Caddie job is just to rake the bunker and carry the bag?? Stroke Play not a team sport? WHATTT. So that must be why JT, Rickie, ect keep saying "we" in terms of their teams right. "We" won. Tiger's caddie never comes in for an assist on a read? Caddies don't assist with reading putts? Caddies job with the player is a team, they talk about yardage and club selection and the aiming point (ask tiger). Caddies job by the rules of golf are to assist the player if that means reading a putt so be if that means picking a target of wind direction so be it.

Dude. R-e-l-a-x. The guy gave his opinion. Sheesh.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Last things first - "15 minutes later crickets" - YOU may spend your entire internet life here. I don't. (Just feels like it :lol: )

"Slow Play" - see below. ;)

We're playing in a local Tourney this weekend...and we're reading the green for my dude's putt.

I am several feet behind the ball and ballmarker...the ball is aligned close to its intended line and target...I'm squatting...and my dude is reading the break by looking over my shoulder.

I stay in the exact same squat I've been in...but...my dude breaks off and walks toward the ball. He is 18" away from the ball and he makes a practice swing. Mind you...I haven't said a damn thing since he broke away from me squatting and walked towards the ball.

I get up and walk to the side...he proceeds to putt.

About a minute later a rules official comes up to us and asks us to be careful so as to not cause a penalty.

This may sound silly...but I'm going to start taking the damned flagstick and circling the intended line on the green while he's already lined up. If he needs to readjust....fine. Then...I'll put the flagstick back in the hole afterwards. So much for speeding up the game.

I've said it before...and I'll say it again:

The new rule...as it's written...is one of the dumbest rules I've ever seen in Golf.

Wait...Dropping from knee high just phoned in and said "Hold my Beer".

I appreciate your choice of font color.

I can also appreciate your penchant for Really large font styles.

The next time we get penalized for slow play will be the first time.

Pssst...I never said anything about slow play. At the very least...get your facts straight before hopping up on that high horse.

:rolleyes: You are right. You didn't say the WORDS "slow play". I did. YOU just described during your childish rant what you would do.

So of course YOU didn't write anything about getting penalized for slow play. *I* did, describing what should happen should you run around the green as you described.

I assume your next response will be something like "I never said the sky was blue". It'd make just as much sense. ;)

Good luck to you and your "dude". :)

Thank You.

I do agree with Atrayn to a certain extent, the young players SHOULD learn to read putts when they practice, and should do MOST of the reading for themselves in competition. But I do agree, the traditional role of a caddie includes help with green reading, and I have no problem with that. But I agree with the intent of the new rule, the caddie should not actively help the player physically align himself or his clubhead, at every level of play.

Going back to the original post, my best guess was that the official was trying to do his best to educate players and caddies (parents) about the new rule. I guarantee that a significant percentage of them hadn't heard of this change, and a much larger percentage have never read the entire rule, including the Interpretations.

Problem:

"I know I can't line him up, I wasn't doing anything, just watching him take his stance".

"Sir, you are not allowed to stand THERE while he takes his stance, whether you say anything or not. I'm afraid I have to assess a two-stroke penalty"

Better

"Sir, you looked to be close to his line of play when he was setting up. I just want to make sure you understand, you're not allowed to stand there at that time."

"Thanks, in the future I'll be sure to move out before he starts taking his stance"

I'm certainly no weekend hack....

Of course I'm well aware of what's going on tour, and I said IMHO.

I really appreciate your kindness...

I am allowed my opinion and your money any time you want to put it on the line....

Personal attacks on me and my view are unappreciated.

I love the purity of golf and the individual challenge. Yes the game has morphed into a team game due to the dollars that out are there.....you are missing my point unfortunately. We do allow caddy advice and that's OK if it's within the rules of golf. How much of a difference between pointing out an intended line, telling you that you are misaligned, hey, don't forget the wind's out of the west etc. Part of the game is mental, having to calculate all that is critical. Just because I believe that these requirements shouldn't be part of the "team" doesn't make me ignorant and a hack...

I let my son read his own putts. It keeps him from verbally abusing me on the way home ?. He holds the putter he needs to read it.

My goal is for him to learn to read the greens own his own. He is 10. He is at the point where he's been coached enough he needs to learn it on his own. We play with some parents who are robots and control everything about there kids golf game. We have been beat by them but it's my sons game not mine. He is learning lessons that will help him when daddy is not the caddy. That's his goal.

I let my son read his own putts. It keeps him from verbally abusing me on the way home ��. He holds the putter he needs to read it.

My goal is for him to learn to read the greens own his own. He is 10. He is at the point where he's been coached enough he needs to learn it on his own. We play with some parents who are robots and control everything about there kids golf game. We have been beat by them but it's my sons game not mine. He is learning lessons that will help him when daddy is not the caddy. That's his goal.

I agree with you in principle here.

At 10 years old Juniors are able to navigate themselves around the course (and on the green) with some degree of success.

However...I think you and I will agree that the (7-8 division) is much different than the (10 year old division). In 7-8...you've got kids chasing butterflies...and if not properly instructed...you'll have kids kids rolling down hills like they're in a barrel...damaging greens...etc.

Same logic applies to learning how to read greens. Which way does this putt break? Please show me the line and point on the green where you're trying to hit. Is this putt uphill...or...downhill?

You can't just "carry the bag" for a 7-8 year old. I suppose you could...but...you'd be doing him/her a huge disservice.

If you don't like the rules lobby for an appropriate set for the age group....

You'll find instructors who won't even touch a junior until they are 13 or 14.

If you want them in tournaments, then let them deal with the proper amount of pressure.

Keep the advice relegated to practice rounds.

Again, IMHO it better prepares them for the mental part of the game. If you want to have caddy/golfer relationship. Again to me it's the "unsolicited" part of the advice that intrigues me at all levels of the game.

There is a place for a caddy in a 7/8 year old division. It is appropriate to have the kids not chasing butterflies, rolling down the hills and damaging greens. If Kids are doing those things, they are not ready to be playing in events.It is also good to have caddies keeping up pace of play, keeping score as a backup.. Essentially, the caddy needs to be the babysitter. It is okay to answer solicited questions, and sometimes it is okay to tell the kid “ I don’t know, but you can do it” But to call yourselves a team and to get the kid to buy into that thinking generally means the parent is searching for something within themselves.

I am allowed my opinion and your money any time you want to put it on the line....

I love the purity of golf and the individual challenge. Yes the game has morphed into a team game due to the dollars that out are there.....you are missing my point unfortunately. We do allow caddy advice and that's OK if it's within the rules of golf. How much of a difference between pointing out an intended line, telling you that you are misaligned, hey, don't forget the wind's out of the west etc. Part of the game is mental, having to calculate all that is critical. Just because I believe that these requirements shouldn't be part of the "team" doesn't make me ignorant and a hack...

Personal attacks are you a snowflake? Did you get a bit butt hurt I'm so sorry that your offended by people on the internet who disagree with you, but I'm not really

Who let all the trolls in the junior section?

Personal attacks are you a snowflake? Did you get a bit butt hurt I'm so sorry that your offended by people on the internet who disagree with you, but I'm not really

Who let all the trolls in the junior section?

No, I just expect ignorance from the internet crowd and I mean "ignorant" literally not to offend anyone...because apparently you are confused...

But to call yourselves a team and to get the kid to buy into that thinking generally means the parent is searching for something within themselves.

I'm pretty sure in talking with Darter 1-1...several others on this site...and...with many parents on the course that the usage of "we" or "team" isn't all that abnormal.

I suggested you read the book "Daddy Caddy on the Bag"...and by the looks of your responses...you haven't done so. Seriously...take a look at the book. It's worth your time. TEAM (Together Everyone Achieves More).

Continuing to project this notion of parents looking for something within themselves because they pair up with their 7-8 year olds by using "we" and team" on the course is leading me to believe that you're projecting something within yourself here that you may be missing. Perhaps it's something emotional...perhaps it's something physical...perhaps it's a combination of both?

But...for a guy who has been on this site for ~10 years...with ~3 posts per year...this has struck a chord within you...enough to use 1-2 years worth of of your average yearly posts on.

Continuing to foster the same projection over and over again has all signs pointing to some deep self deficiency within you, bud.

I had a choice to be one of “those parents.” I chose not to be. The parents that have adopted the same philosophy as mine, shake our heads at parents/caddies like youself. We look back at the younger age groups and reflect on kids with the whole caddy/daddy dynamic. Collectiively we realize how foolish “those parents” are behaving.

These are parents whose kids who are all going to college to play golf including top 5 golf programs and some going to top academic schools..

I am very fortunate to have a kid who is a late, late,late bloomer who is going a to a D1 (mid to low tier) school for free because of golf

When you and your dude become older and look back at the younger divisions that he once played, your perception of what you are doing (if you look honestly) will lead you to believe how silly it all was.

I had a choice to be one of “those parents.” I chose not to be. The parents that have adopted the same philosophy as mine, shake our heads at parents/caddies like youself. We look back at the younger age groups and reflect on kids with the whole caddy/daddy dynamic. Collectiively we realize how foolish “those parents” are behaving.

These are parents whose kids who are all going to college to play golf including top 5 golf programs and some going to top academic schools..

I am very fortunate to have a kid who is a late, late,late bloomer who is going a to a D1 (mid to low tier) school for free because of golf

When you and your dude become older and look back at the younger divisions that he once played, your perception of what you are doing (if you look honestly) will lead you to believe how silly it all was.

• 2 weeks later...