I’m calling BS on 10+ yard gains

bogeypro

You can't move a drive 30 yards up or down with spin. Obviously blade just through that out there without thinking it through. Good job NSX, you've managed to both make blade look slightly careless and derail an interesting thread. You win that battle but lose the war. Bladehunter's overall point is sound - that an average of shots should be used, and forgiveness can therefore increase carry distance - we shouldn't only use the best strikes, and that can be improved with modern technology.

Tell ya what PSG. When I come even close to bloviating as many threads out of existence as you already have, I'll consider not posting at all.

And while I don't think an "average" distance is the best way to select a driver, nobody (I hope), least of all I, would suggest buying a driver based on a single best shot.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is this: most all new major drivers releases today are similar performance. If you are properly fit, you won't gain 10+ yards going from one to another.

Convince me I'm wrong...

Nsx-

I'm not sure what your point is ?

I agreed with Jeff and added that some heads are very much less forgiving or add tons of spin for a slight mishit. For me.

Jeff says 10 yards head to head difference possible via spin. I was simply adding that you also have to account for the mishit difference. Some heads don't add too much spin. So a mishit still travels. Some just go nuts. And seem to double it. All part of considerations of a real fitting . Where's the argument ?

My point is I can't read your mind.

I'm guessing you're not talking about a player such as yourself taking a normal swing and generating ~2200 rpm vs. you intentionally striking very hard downward on purpose and generating 4K with the same head, right ?

Do you see what the title and original post/point was (or at least seems to be) ?

Do you really think he was talking about "mishits" ?

Do you really think (as Jeff alluded to) he was talking about "apples to oranges" where the tester is hitting a SGI driver head that might spin at 4K for a 180 mph ball speed vs. a driver head that'll spin at 2200 for the same player (~ 23 yard carry difference for 180 ball speed according to flightscope) ?

Or do you think it was more likely he was talking about similar driver heads, say Cobra F9, Epic Flas, G410, TS2/3 & TM M5/6 ?

I think he’s talking about going in and testing everything vs your current setup. You can find a new setup that nets 10 yards. I say that as a guy who hates Taylormade and their marketing. But it can be done. I do not assume someone is talking testing two near identical heads. That’s pointless. If they are identical it’s same same. Which is why I harped on the lack of actual fitting.

As for me taking a “ normal swing and generating 2200 rpm “. I can’t say as that’s something I can do. That’s a really really low spin number for me. A rarity. Which is exactly why I said what I said. When I find a head that ( for whatever reason ) gets my impact closer to center and therefore drops spin I see big gains. You can’t really deny that as being a huge part of a fitting. Contact. Length , lie and weight are huge in this. At least for me. Some heads and shafts just don’t get back to the ball the same as others.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Like many topics which come up on here, there is not a right or wrong answer (which is why I try not to post in threads like this, but I have down time right now so decided to give my opinion).

I know this much about my game, I am a morning person and swing the club different in the morning than I do in the evening. SS can vary 4 or 5 mph depending on the time of day and there is your 10+ yards( by the way humidity, temperature, altitude, etc... can also vary your distance by 10+ yards, but we all knew that already).

Although I don't play competively any longer and prefer to use equipment from the 90's, I have fit myself with many different drivers over the years and the common theme has been there is no one shaft which matches up perfectly to each head. I may need AD in a TS3, a TPT in a Mizuno 190 and a Diamana 70+ in a Cobra F9. I know I leave yards on the table because my eyes have a certain launch window (which is low) and I refuse to play something outside of that window. I could easily add 10+ yards if I were to "optimize" my equipment, but I am old and hard headed so therefore I play what "feels" right. Too me, I am not going to score any better (or any worse) regardless of what I play. I will find a way to get it around the course and score. The game is all about putting anyway ;)

Enjoy the rest of your day my friends!

Absolutely agree. Different day, different "swing". But I don't think that's what the OP was going for.

Also agree with the shafts. With all the variety of shafts and heads today one almost has to "test them all". And on different days too (as I did with my iron shafts some years ago - 5 different days, 6 different shafts)

And how else could I account for hitting a 76 gram 6.5 Hzrdus Yellow much better in an Epic Flash SZ head 5-10 yards further and as straight as my "normal" (for me) current 62 gram Hzrdus Black 6.0 in the same SZ head,,,,,,,,,,, and that same Yellow not working at all in my current Fusion head. :dntknw:

Titleist Pro V1X

My point is this: most all new major drivers releases today are similar performance. If you are properly fit, you won't gain 10+ yards going from one to another.

Convince me I'm wrong...

Nsx-

I'm not sure what your point is ?

I agreed with Jeff and added that some heads are very much less forgiving or add tons of spin for a slight mishit. For me.

Jeff says 10 yards head to head difference possible via spin. I was simply adding that you also have to account for the mishit difference. Some heads don't add too much spin. So a mishit still travels. Some just go nuts. And seem to double it. All part of considerations of a real fitting . Where's the argument ?

My point is I can't read your mind.

I'm guessing you're not talking about a player such as yourself taking a normal swing and generating ~2200 rpm vs. you intentionally striking very hard downward on purpose and generating 4K with the same head, right ?

Do you see what the title and original post/point was (or at least seems to be) ?

Do you really think he was talking about "mishits" ?

Do you really think (as Jeff alluded to) he was talking about "apples to oranges" where the tester is hitting a SGI driver head that might spin at 4K for a 180 mph ball speed vs. a driver head that'll spin at 2200 for the same player (~ 23 yard carry difference for 180 ball speed according to flightscope) ?

Or do you think it was more likely he was talking about similar driver heads, say Cobra F9, Epic Flas, G410, TS2/3 & TM M5/6 ?

I think he's talking about going in and testing everything vs your current setup. You can find a new setup that nets 10 yards. I say that as a guy who hates Taylormade and their marketing. But it can be done. I do not assume someone is talking testing two near identical heads. That's pointless. If they are identical it's same same. Which is why I harped on the lack of actual fitting.

Then we shall agree to disagree.

As for me taking a " normal swing and generating 2200 rpm ". I can't say as that's something I can do. That's a really really low spin number for me. A rarity. Which is exactly why I said what I said. When I find a head that ( for whatever reason ) gets my impact closer to center and therefore drops spin I see big gains. You can't really deny that as being a huge part of a fitting. Contact. Length , lie and weight are huge in this. At least for me. Some heads and shafts just don't get back to the ball the same as others.

As hard as you hit it, no doubt it's the club head you're using. As of today, while "they" seem to be getting closer, you can't have very low spin with the most forgiveness & control. First manufacturer to that combo "wins". :lol:

You have plenty of club head speed so your preference (of course) is to keep it on the planet at a little bit of sacrifice for distance. Totally understandable. G400MAX works for YOU. :good:

Titleist Pro V1X

You can't move a drive 30 yards up or down with spin. Obviously blade just through that out there without thinking it through. Good job NSX, you've managed to both make blade look slightly careless and derail an interesting thread. You win that battle but lose the war. Bladehunter's overall point is sound - that an average of shots should be used, and forgiveness can therefore increase carry distance - we shouldn't only use the best strikes, and that can be improved with modern technology.

Tell ya what PSG. When I come even close to bloviating as many threads out of existence as you already have, I'll consider not posting at all.

And while I don't think an "average" distance is the best way to select a driver, nobody (I hope), least of all I, would suggest buying a driver based on a single best shot.

Like many great figures throughout history, you have become what you despise.

Let's say I pick up significant ballspeed on toe hits with the Epic and a toe hit is my miss (we can disagree if this actually happens, but say it does). Surely that factors into driver adding to distance somehow?

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Like many great figures throughout history, you have become what you despise.

Let's say I pick up significant ballspeed on toe hits with the Epic and a toe hit is my miss (we can disagree if this actually happens, but say it does). Surely that factors into driver adding to distance somehow?

Hard to believe you assume so much. I get the snark with your first remark but I never said I despised you. Quite the contrary actually. I believe I've said, in the recent past no less, that I respect your knowledge of all things golf.

Now, for your actual question,,,,,,,,,,, of course.

While nobody's talking specifically about how to add distance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, one can choose any combination of attributes to select their driver. Distance, accuracy, consistency, single best shot; whatever the player wants.

And I suppose, if with a particular driver you consistently hit it in that spot and get your best results, i.e. that is your "normal", sure, why not ? Haven't Tour players in the recent past (although I haven't heard much about it lately) tried to hit the ball above center for high launch and low spin ? :dntknw:

Titleist Pro V1X

Nsx-

I’m not so sure I’d say “ works”. Lol. I’ve yet to hit a driver that I like more than a few weeks. Wish it wasn’t so. But it is. The max keeps it in play. No doubt. But it gets in your head quickly when you put a good move on one and it just doesn’t go anywhere. Keep saying “ it’s wet out”. But the weather holding me back to a round a week quickly turns into a month of bad drives. No lie. The straw that broke my back again was yesterday. I had the stupidity of testing one of the new m5 titanium heads in a 13 degree loft. 25 balls I averaged carrying it 273 for all shots from a tee. And I included a couple duck hooks working out the feel of the club. I hit a couple nasty bombs with it. Then I picked up my driver and was disgusted. It’s me no doubt. But these “3 woods “ made now are just crazy long. And for whatever reason my swing matches a 3 wood better. Easy answer is .... well obvious. But sooooo many will tell you how dumb it is to go that route. This game. Ugh.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Convince me I'm wrong...

Not on heads that won't allow you the specs you want or have a CG location that makes a certain head high or too low spin for your swing. I for example need 7 degrees of loft range on the face but with a nearly square clubface. This is just not possible in almost every driver these days. I sole the head at address so all these adjustable "loft" drivers do in the 7.5 setting is flop about 3 degrees open faced. I can't play this set up effectively and comfortably. This presents few options. There are a lot of guys just like me who don't even realize it.

My point is this: most all new major drivers releases today are similar performance. If you are properly fit, you won’t gain 10+ yards going from one to another.

Convince me I’m wrong...

Not on heads that won't allow you the specs you want or have a CG location that makes a certain head high or too low spin for your swing. I for example need 7 degrees of loft range on the face but with a nearly square clubface. This is just not possible in almost every driver these days. I sole the head at address so all these adjustabke "loft" drivers do in the 7.5 setting is flop about 3 degrees open faced. I can't play this set up effectively and comfortably. This presents few options. There are a lot of guys just like me who don't even realize it.

This ^ is an instance of what my dumb self is trying to say. It all matters.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Nsx-

I'm not so sure I'd say " works". Lol. I've yet to hit a driver that I like more than a few weeks. Wish it wasn't so. But it is. The max keeps it in play. No doubt. But it gets in your head quickly when you put a good move on one and it just doesn't go anywhere.

Keep saying " it's wet out". But the weather holding me back to a round a week quickly turns into a month of bad drives. No lie. The straw that broke my back again was yesterday.

I had the stupidity of testing one of the new m5 titanium heads in a 13 degree loft. 25 balls I averaged carrying it 273 for all shots from a tee. And I included a couple duck hooks working out the feel of the club. I hit a couple nasty bombs with it. Then I picked up my driver and was disgusted.

It's me no doubt. But these "3 woods " made now are just crazy long. And for whatever reason my swing matches a 3 wood better.

Easy answer is .... well obvious. But sooooo many will tell you how dumb it is to go that route. This game. Ugh.

Coupla things.

A guy who hasn't been playing all that long, has a "month of bad drives", can't putt for shizzle and is scratch, gets NO sympathy around here. "Cry me a river" !!! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

But here's one difference. *I* wouldn't even include those couple of duck hooks considering they're not "normal" swings. I don't include such infrequent terrible shots in an average. But maybe that's just me.

Now if the terrible misses became "too frequent" (whatever one considers that to be), THAT is now an issue with that club/shaft combo (for ME of course - doesn't make it a bad club).

As for being "dumb" for hitting a 13* driver. IMO, and I get that some might disagree, the name of the game is making the lowest score. No such thing as "style points". NOBODY (except those you beat :lol: ) cares how you do it. :good:

Titleist Pro V1X

Nsx-

I'm not so sure I'd say " works". Lol. I've yet to hit a driver that I like more than a few weeks. Wish it wasn't so. But it is. The max keeps it in play. No doubt. But it gets in your head quickly when you put a good move on one and it just doesn't go anywhere.

Keep saying " it's wet out". But the weather holding me back to a round a week quickly turns into a month of bad drives. No lie. The straw that broke my back again was yesterday.

I had the stupidity of testing one of the new m5 titanium heads in a 13 degree loft. 25 balls I averaged carrying it 273 for all shots from a tee. And I included a couple duck hooks working out the feel of the club. I hit a couple nasty bombs with it. Then I picked up my driver and was disgusted.

It's me no doubt. But these "3 woods " made now are just crazy long. And for whatever reason my swing matches a 3 wood better.

Easy answer is .... well obvious. But sooooo many will tell you how dumb it is to go that route. This game. Ugh.

Coupla things.

A guy who hasn't been playing all that long, has a "month of bad drives", can't putt for shizzle and is scratch, gets NO sympathy around here. "Cry me a river" !!! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

But here's one difference. *I* wouldn't even include those couple of duck hooks considering they're not "normal" swings. I don't include such infrequent terrible shots in an average. But maybe that's just me.

Now if the terrible misses became "too frequent" (whatever one considers that to be), THAT is now an issue with that club/shaft combo (for ME of course - doesn't make it a bad club).

As for being "dumb" for hitting a 13* driver. IMO, and I get that some might disagree, the name of the game is making the lowest score. No such thing as "style points". NOBODY (except those you beat :lol: ) cares how you do it. :good:

I hear ya. I don’t want to post what someone much older and smarter than me in the game told me. Lol. Synopsis is “ shut up “. Lol. Just creates so much noise inside a guy like my head that it’s bound to come out at some point.

Edit. That was a 13 degree 3 wood. Not driver. Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Nsx-

Coupla things.

I play a 13* driver that is very short. I've tested a bunch of drivers and i haven't changed for a while. For whatever reason I'm longer and straighter with a short driver that has a super-heavy head, a super low launch shaft (tour green 75x), a lot of loft and a tiny grip. But it took me a whole whole lot of experimentation to end up there.

Is it 10 yards? Yeah, I think it is. I couldn't get the M4 in the air. Tried a lot of shafts. The Aeroburner was a bit better, but still was tough for me to get the carry I want. I swing around 111-113. My smash with a 45.5" driver is 1.39. With my 43.5" driver caked in lead tape its 1.44.

I think it takes a lot of work and testing but I absolutely think one setup can be worth 15+ yards to a particular player over another. I have a lot of faith in my little 13* Nike. That counts for a lot under the gun IMO.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Nsx-

Coupla things.

I play a 13* driver that is very short. I've tested a bunch of drivers and i haven't changed for a while. For whatever reason I'm longer and straighter with a short driver that has a super-heavy head, a super low launch shaft (tour green 75x), a lot of loft and a tiny grip. But it took me a whole whole lot of experimentation to end up there.

Is it 10 yards? Yeah, I think it is. I couldn't get the M4 in the air. Tried a lot of shafts. The Aeroburner was a bit better, but still was tough for me to get the carry I want. I swing around 111-113. My smash with a 45.5" driver is 1.39. With my 43.5" driver caked in lead tape its 1.44.

I think it takes a lot of work and testing but I absolutely think one setup can be worth 15+ yards to a particular player over another. I have a lot of faith in my little 13* Nike. That counts for a lot under the gun IMO.

Couldn't agree more.

I posted above that I hit a Hzrdus Yellow, 76 grams, 6.5 (X) AND it was playing at 44.75" BTW, and got excellent results with it in the Epic Flash SZ head,,,,,,,,,,, and not nearly as good results in my Fusion head. And not s single other shaft in the EFSZ worked as well.

And no fitter in their right mind would have handed me that shaft in the first place.

Is it any wonder that finding the right combo can be so difficult,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :russian_roulette:

Titleist Pro V1X

Pine street.

Hold The phone for a minuet. ( yes I said minuet ).

Isn’t what your playing really a 2 wood. Or eek. A strong 3 wood in practice ?

Now I do also know that you offer a lot of info. But parts of that has been in the past how much we lose by playing only 3 wood off the tee . Have you finally seen the light ? What gives ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Pine street.

Hold The phone for a minuet. ( yes I said minuet ).

Isn't what your playing really a 2 wood. Or eek. A strong 3 wood in practice ?

Now I do also know that you offer a lot of info. But parts of that has been in the past how much we lose by playing only 3 wood off the tee . Have you finally seen the light ? What gives ?

Its about playing the longest club, regardless of what that club is. My gripe with 3 wood off the tee isn't loft, its that people think they are better with it than they are (most people hit a 460cc head WAY better than a tiny head). You should hit the longest club you have that doesn't bring stroke-costing hazards into play. I'm longest with a 460cc 13* head. If I was longer with a 9* driver, I'd be bagging that. What I disagree with is leaving a longer club in the bag on holes without stroke-costing hazards because you "hit it better" - if the club *is actually longer* then you should hit it.

As I say in those threads a lot, if you do the work and measure it and you are actually longer with 3 wood have at it. Most people don't measure or do the work though. They just assume "3 wood safe, driver unsafe" when in reality they are both unsafe and one just goes farther.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

So what to think of this?

Clearly you’re a witch who’s cast an evil spell !

( sarcasm ).

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm guessing the OP would say, if the descriptions are right, that you're comparing a 4 year old driver with a current one.

And that's not what he's referring to.

FWIW, I am seeing similar gains over my 3 year old Fusion with most of the current ones.

Titleist Pro V1X

I'm guessing the OP would say, if the descriptions are right, that you're comparing a 4 year old driver with a current one.

And that's not what he's referring to.

FWIW, I am seeing similar gains over my 3 year old Fusion with most of the current ones.

I think the OP is misreading the message. When the OEM's release a new driver, they claim 10 yards gains over a previous generation of drivers (which we see all the time) and not the current one.

Which is consistent with my previous post, ie 20 yds for 2 generations.

As for the current generation of drivers being all the same lengths?

If we took all the heads and have them swung by a robot, I'm pretty sure we'd some some yardage differences.

I agree every year I read or see a video about how a new driver will give you ten yards.

Today I put my old favourite 10 year old Callaway FT9 against last years £450 pound Callaway Epic on the Trackman. I hit approximately 80 balls, 40 with each.

The results were quite astounding. There was no difference in distance. I changed the loft on the Epic up and down and changed the slider at the back to get the best results out of it and still the old FT9 was going straighter and longer more often.

So yeah I do believe it's BS! The Epic is back on ebay and i'll buy something for my mountain bike with the money...

Maybe it's the balls that are better and not the clubs!

10 yards through the air or total distance?

I’m not sure these low spinning monsters are making every player better.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Convince me I'm wrong...

You are entirely correct.

Anyone who says differently is making crap up, or they are smoking some goof s***!

Hey man, I'm the dude

Convince me I'm wrong...

You are entirely correct.

Anyone who says differently is making crap up, or they are smoking some goof s***!

But what if the most recent driver head *is* “properly fit” ?

*head explodes*

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

My point is this: most all new major drivers releases today are similar performance. If you are properly fit, you won’t gain 10+ yards going from one to another.

Convince me I’m wrong...

i gain 10+ yards switching from 9.5 driver regular shaft, to 12° senior shaft...... how you like them apples?

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Nsx-

I’m not so sure I’d say “ works”. Lol. I’ve yet to hit a driver that I like more than a few weeks. Wish it wasn’t so. But it is. The max keeps it in play. No doubt. But it gets in your head quickly when you put a good move on one and it just doesn’t go anywhere. Keep saying “ it’s wet out”. But the weather holding me back to a round a week quickly turns into a month of bad drives. No lie. The straw that broke my back again was yesterday. I had the stupidity of testing one of the new m5 titanium heads in a 13 degree loft. 25 balls I averaged carrying it 273 for all shots from a tee. And I included a couple duck hooks working out the feel of the club. I hit a couple nasty bombs with it. Then I picked up my driver and was disgusted. It’s me no doubt. But these “3 woods “ made now are just crazy long. And for whatever reason my swing matches a 3 wood better. Easy answer is .... well obvious. But sooooo many will tell you how dumb it is to go that route. This game. Ugh.

Blade , I'm twice your age and half your game BUT totally went through this....M3 was my 18 gamer but erratic....enter jpx900 for my version of "reliability"

And after a couple of rounds of "well it's wet" finally decided to go hit all the 19 offerings in lefty....

Came down to F9 and Epic flash sub zero.....yes the sub zero.....fit my eye better, sue me

On course today , regular track, I was 15-30 past where jpx900 was getting me.....so my M3 distance came back with reliable, flight able performance..... yes I gained 15-30yds AND more accurate than the fade happy M3

#FLASHBOOM

Its basically impossible to tell. I played well this afternoon, the best in a while. I hit the driver very well. But last weekend it was a horror show. Same driver, way different results.

If one can fire a 42 with a ball OB and a 34 with six fairways and eight greens on the front 9 of the same course within 7 days with the same driver from 2005, its hard to imagine any of us being able to tell if our swings are constant enough to say its the equipment. Just the truth in golf, unfortunately. Its all about the cycle. If you think its the driver for you, it is, because you'll get on your left foot and swing free. If you are worried about the driver, get rid of it. You'll hang back and block. Sad but true. If you believe it works. I wish it could be more scientific and that more "rules" (like the OP's) worked, but the fact is they don't and we're all different.

The hard part is realizing that all drivers will have bad days and sticking with the "best one" through the hard times OR realizing it actually does stink and ditching it. Is it a great club for you that's gone cold, or is the faith gone? That's the hard thing to figure out. Not which launch monitor reading to buy.

The real test for that Epic Flash isn't when you're swinging free and well, its when the course is soaking wet, you reach back for some more juice, and put one in the parking lot and then do it again the next week. Is it still in the bag that third weekend?

As they say, winning cures all ills. The real test of a driver match is if stays in the bag through the rough spots because somewhere deep inside you know its a solid club. You can't fit that, and its the most important thing.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Its basically impossible to tell. I played well this afternoon, the best in a while. I hit the driver very well. But last weekend it was a horror show. Same driver, way different results.

If one can fire a 42 with a ball OB and a 34 with six fairways and eight greens on the front 9 of the same course within 7 days with the same driver from 2005, its hard to imagine any of us being able to tell if our swings are constant enough to say its the equipment. Just the truth in golf, unfortunately. Its all about the cycle. If you think its the driver for you, it is, because you'll get on your left foot and swing free. If you are worried about the driver, get rid of it. You'll hang back and block. Sad but true. If you believe it works. I wish it could be more scientific and that more "rules" (like the OP's) worked, but the fact is they don't and we're all different.

The hard part is realizing that all drivers will have bad days and sticking with the "best one" through the hard times OR realizing it actually does stink and ditching it. Is it a great club for you that's gone cold, or is the faith gone? That's the hard thing to figure out. Not which launch monitor reading to buy.

The real test for that Epic Flash isn't when you're swinging free and well, its when the course is soaking wet, you reach back for some more juice, and put one in the parking lot and then do it again the next week. Is it still in the bag that third weekend?

As they say, winning cures all ills. The real test of a driver match is if stays in the bag through the rough spots because somewhere deep inside you know its a solid club. You can't fit that, and its the most important thing.

Well fortunately for me driving in play isn't an issue.....looking for and found some much needed "confident distance" as we spoke on before, iron play is the best way to lower scores and my 15 greens can attest to this 73 today....I'm that old acting guy who hits it 200 nothing but always in play....what the FSZ has done is combined the better qualities of my last few drivers in a great looking package.....

Will there be a moment? Of course! it's golf but as much movement as we make equipment wise, I've learned a ton...

I've got 99 problems but driving ain't one!

Convince me I'm wrong...

Congrats on stating what most in the know have known for the last 10 years. :D

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Convince me I’m wrong...

If properly fit from old driver (less than 4/5 years old) to new one I would agree with you 100%, won’t happen for most people. Maybe with crazy high SS, like 115+ it may be possible but it would be close to the same % increase. Based purely on opinion, would love to be proven wrong.