2019 Honda LPGA Thailand Feb 21-24

Argonne69

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have split in the peleton!

Well, i was writing off Amy Yang in the pre-tournament talk here. I am so glad to proven wrong on this one. But also, go Minjee!

Any thoughts on Jenny Shin from anybody? I have only seen her in contention once and it wasn't good. But, who knows?

Hope Minjee can pull it off. She's been right there a lot in the last year or so.

Not too sure on Shin. She won the TX tournament a couple years ago I believe, and then wasn't doing a ton.

I think all three have enough game to win it tomorrow. Someone probably needs a low round. I'd say Minjee is slight favorite but not a three foot putt.

'Very nice leaderboard. We're going to have yet another exciting finish.

Minjee was very pleased with her round in the post-round interview, but she really left a lot of shots out there. She missed a number of fairways on the back nine, and coming out of the rough looks tough with the segmented greens. If she can hit a few more fairways she should be able to put this one away.

'Nice finish by Jenny, but she has a history of stumbling in her final round.

Amy Yang is capable, but she also has the Sunday Blues. However, given that she's won here twice recently, I think her odds are better than a typical Sunday.

Nelly and Brooke looked solid. I generally don't pick a player to win back-to-back, as the odds are not in their favor. However, Nelly could certainly grab this one given the level of her play recently. Which Sunday Brooke will show up?

Danielle is a blast to watch. I wish they'd put a microphone on Ollie.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Intent is a part of the rule with backstopping. How can you make a rule to prohibit only intended backstopping apart from painting a circle around the green somewhat like a penalty area and telling players that if they are chipping a ball and another player's ball in on green, you must mark before playing.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

It sure looked to me like a simple case of a player being ready to hit and just saying leave it there so they don’t have to wait even longer to play their shot.

And it sounds like that’s basically what she is saying too.

And Rolfing can piss off too, it “doesn’t have to stop”, it’s not inappropriate. Balls have been banging into each other on the greens for years, now in the last year it’s suddenly a problem.

And Brandel, “egregious” really!?

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Danielle is a blast to watch. I wish they'd put a microphone on Ollie.

Indeed she is. Despite her feistiness, she has a sense of accecptance as well. She laughed at that flubbed chip she attempted, that`s not easy to do considering her position on the leaderboard. Between Ollie and Butch, she seems to have found a good thing. Good for her.

It sure looked to me like a simple case of a player being ready to hit and just saying leave it there so they don’t have to wait even longer to play their shot.

And Rolfing can piss off too, it “doesn’t have to stop”, it’s not inappropriate. Balls have been banging into each other on the greens for years, now in the last year it’s suddenly a problem.

I don't see why just because something was happening in the past that it's OK to happen now. With that said - and I don't have anything but anecdotal evidence to back this up - but backstopping seems to be happening much more lately than ever before. Is that just because more golf is covered on TV? Maybe. The money and the prestige for winning or getting a top-10 on a major pro Tour is so great these days that every stroke is huge and I don't see the problem with putting a stop to backstopping.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I don't see why just because something was happening in the past that it's OK to happen now. With that said - and I don't have anything but anecdotal evidence to back this up - but backstopping seems to be happening much more lately than ever before. Is that just because more golf is covered on TV? Maybe. The money and the prestige for winning or getting a top-10 on a major pro Tour is so great these days that every stroke is huge and I don't see the problem with putting a stop to backstopping.

Honestly HM, I don’t think it’s happening any more than it ever has. It’s just now, every time it happens a big deal is made about it. No evidence, just speculation on my part. A case of too much media.

Lily "Muni" He is acquitting herself alright. Her rise to prominence as a professional golfer/sex symbol probably spells the end of my fandom of LPGA golf. Don't like her, don't like what she represents. That's ok, I had a decent run. I'll find something else to pass the time.

No offense, but you seem shocked like she just transformed herself after becoming a LPGA`er. She`s been showing off her assets for years. She`s not the first, and won`t be the last.

Honestly HM, I don’t think it’s happening any more than it ever has. It’s just now, every time it happens a big deal is made about it. No evidence, just speculation on my part. A case of too much media.

Media...and too much money. And I think the money justifies trying to get this rule right or at least improving it. But it's not just golf, the rules in every sport (basketball, baseball, football) are under assault for the same reasons golf rules are.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Too much social media in particular so both "regular folks" and golf "journalists" looking for and driven by numbers of eyeballs to their little Twitter accounts and blogs have to sensationalize things either they really don't know much about or are contrived "hot button" issues.

It really is sad.

Yep.

And lol, and I really like Rolfing (and the MD crowd early this morning was all about "move on, it's nothing") but when he said that if the ball had been in her way she'd have had the other player mark it - well, "duh" Mark. Now that Brandel loves Tiger he seems it the designated "over-hyper" of things - GC keeps going on an on about it for no good reason. That is sad, also.

I did say I thought it was Minjee's week but I'm gonna go with Amy Yang she's looking really solid. Plus Minjee is sometimes prone to a Sunday collapse. If this was a Major I would say Amy could have a Sunday collapse too, but it's not a Major lol I really don't see any others catching Minjee or Amy with them having a 2-4 stroke lead over most of the legit chasers. I think if someone does manage a come from behind win it would be either Nelly or Brooke they are best of the ball-strikers of the chasers but Nelly will need a 66 and Brooke a 65 to even have a chance today IMO. I'll also throw in Eun-Hee ji she's really started the season in great form but unlike the DR event there won't be the crazy winds and the leader probably won't almost withdraw with a terrible case of the flu, so this one will be tougher to get that come from behind win. i would throw Austin Ernst in to the mix, but I always look at her game and say damn she's good but then I look at the final standings on a Sunday night and she's usually outside the top 10.

It should be a great day to watch some chaos, but will depend on the pin placements, hopefully the make things a little tougher so we can get some movement and jumbling of positions. I look forward to seeing what happens.

As for Muni, I give her credit she's playing well and she's earned her place on the LPGA. Although I personally feel she won't ever be anything special on tour, I don't hold the fact that she's hot against her, she can play. Unlike most eye candy that people drool over Muni IMO has legit LPGA skills and her most redeeming quality on a golf course isn't the fact that that the hem line on her skirt is 12 inches above the knee. I actually give Muni lots of credit it looks like she's really improved her game from her start in college.

Yep.

And lol, and I really like Rolfing (and the MD crowd early this morning was all about "move on, it's nothing") but when he said that if the ball had been in her way she'd have had the other player mark it - well, "duh" Mark. Now that Brandel loves Tiger he seems it the designated "over-hyper" of things - GC keeps going on an on about it for no good reason. That is sad, also.

That’s exactly what I thought when he said that, no s**t Sherlock.

Just talking with one of my old regular group this morning. Another person who has been playing 40+ years. We’ve seen this happen countless times over the years. Countless! And now all of a sudden it’s an issue.

It sure looked to me like a simple case of a player being ready to hit and just saying leave it there so they don't have to wait even longer to play their shot.

And it sounds like that's basically what she is saying too.

And Rolfing can piss off too, it "doesn't have to stop", it's not inappropriate. Balls have been banging into each other on the greens for years, now in the last year it's suddenly a problem.

And Brandel, "egregious" really!?

Yep.

That's exactly what I thought when he said that, no s**t Sherlock.

Just talking with one of my old regular group this morning. Another person who has been playing 40+ years. We've seen this happen countless times over the years. Countless! And now all of a sudden it's an issue.

Are you not for improving the rules of golf if there's something that has been neglected that the modern player is taking advantage of? The rules and how they are worded and enforced evolve over time. I don't see why the rules enforcing backstopping can't also evolve, even if backstopping isn't extremely common.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Good interview! She seems honest and she is right - context matters.

No rule violated.

Piss off Shackelford!

She said her intent was to speed up play so yes absolutely no rule violated.

I got such a kick listening to Mark Rolfing accusation that her reaction was that of purposeful backstopping.

Isn't this the same Mark Rolfing who reacted to Tiger's 14th hole tee shot in The 2013 Players as to never crossing land further than the tee box but quickly acted like he never said anything when Casey gave Tiger the thumbs up to drop where Tiger could get close to the green with his 3rd shot instead of the trouble he might have with confronting another tee shot. I wish Rolfing had just said right there on the spot that it's a good thing for Tiger I'm not his playing companion.

All this backstopping stuff, everybody seems to blame Amy. I blame Ariya, she didn't protect the field but whatever the game can be policed whatever way they want. I generally state my opinion but don't get outrage by things like this if the decision of a league or tour bother me, I just stop watching and we're not near that level yet.

I did it with hockey, the players would no longer play in the Olympics and World Cup cause of money issues, well fine you don't wanna play for your country then I don't wanna watch your league and haven't, but this allowed to rediscover my love for the NBA, so it all worked out lol ....... FYI this statement is sacrilege as a Canadian and could possibly result in the loss of my citizenship lol

It sure looked to me like a simple case of a player being ready to hit and just saying leave it there so they don't have to wait even longer to play their shot.

And Rolfing can piss off too, it "doesn't have to stop", it's not inappropriate. Balls have been banging into each other on the greens for years, now in the last year it's suddenly a problem.

Yep.

Just talking with one of my old regular group this morning. Another person who has been playing 40+ years. We've seen this happen countless times over the years. Countless! And now all of a sudden it's an issue.

Are you not for improving the rules of golf if there's something that has been neglected that the modern player is taking advantage of? The rules and how they are worded and enforced evolve over time. I don't see why the rules enforcing backstopping can't also evolve, even if backstopping isn't extremely common.

I would be if I thought it was worthy of being an issue. But this (to me anyway) is an A1 prime example of something being blown way, way out of proportion.

And then to the logistical standpoint of it, how do you regulate it? Anything inside 100 yards has to be marked, 50 yards, 10 yards? The game is slow enough now, how much extra time would this add.

Yep.

I would be if I thought it was worthy of being an issue. But this (to me anyway) is an A1 prime example of something being blown way, way out of proportion.

And then to the logistical standpoint of it, how do you regulate it? Anything inside 100 yards has to be marked, 50 yards, 10 yards? The game is slow enough now, how much extra time would this add.

I don't know if there is a perfect way to enforce it, but I've suggested that the Tours could put two stakes on the left and right sides of the green about 10 yards in front of the green on every hole. Any balls on the green must be marked if another player is hitting a shot inside of the stakes to the green or else both players would be penalized if the balls hit each other. Most players already do this, so speed of play wouldn't be affected. If you want to risk not marking your ball, go ahead - but both players would be penalized if two balls hit each other.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I generally state my opinion but don't get outrage by things like this if the decision of a league or tour bother me, I just stop watching and we're not near that level yet.

I did it with hockey, the players would no longer play in the Olympics and World Cup cause of money issues, well fine you don't wanna play for your country then I don't wanna watch your league and haven't, but this allowed to rediscover my love for the NBA, so it all worked out lol ....... FYI this statement is sacrilege as a Canadian and could possibly result in the loss of my citizenship lol

Haha, yeah you better watch what you say... I stopped watching MLB,NBA,NFL 20 years ago because of overpaid arrogant a**hats, I only have golf and NHL left. Go Pens!!

Yep.

I don't know if there is a perfect way to enforce it, but I've suggested that the Tours could put two stakes on the left and right sides of the green about 10 yards in front of the green on every hole. Any balls on the green must be marked if another player is hitting a shot inside of the stakes to the green or else both players would be penalized if the balls hit each other. Most players already do this, so speed of play wouldn't be affected. If you want to risk not marking your ball, go ahead - but both players would be penalized if two balls hit each other.

That would probably be the most logical way of doing it. Was Amy inside 10 yards yesterday?

Easy enough. Makes sense to me.

There is no problem that has been neglected. The rule is fine. Some Tour players may have been gaming it a bit and it will take care of itself.

I tend to mark my ball less than many and if I think it's in someone's way, I'll mark it after asking (or if it is obvious), but I'm not running up 10 yards from some stake, lol, or anywhere else to mark a ball and hold up play just because my ball might inadvertently be hit by someone else's bad shot. If they don't want it moved, I just don't care. No agreement, no rules violation, really no different than what you saw on TV with these players - why bother? Should I be strung up? Have at it.

People act like the minute your ball hits the green you need to mark it, frankly a lot of that contributes to slow play.

And from this arbitrary 10 yards how close does the ball on the green need to be? Any ball? Any ball that may be hit by anyone (that's silly and extreme)? Just way too much attempt at a bad solution for a virtually non-existent problem. Media hype is what this is.

There is no problem that has been neglected. The rule is fine. Some Tour players may have been gaming it a bit and it will take care of itself.

I tend to mark my ball less than many and if I think it's in someone's way, I'll mark it after asking (or if it is obvious), but I'm not running up 10 yards from some stake, lol, or anywhere else to mark a ball and hold up play just because my ball might inadvertently be hit by someone else's bad shot. No agreement, no rules violation, really no different than what you saw on TV with these players - why bother? Should I be strung up? Have at it.

People act like the minute your ball hits the green you need to mark it, frankly a lot of that contributes to slow play.

And from this arbitrary 10 yards how close does the ball on the green need to be? Any ball? Any ball that may be hit by anyone (that's silly and extreme)? Just way too much attempt at a bad solution for a virtually non-existent problem. Media hype is what this is.

The problem is not non-existent though because we see it happening. Pro golfers scores are incredibly similar and every stroke is important, therefore backstopping needs to be addressed better by the rules.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I think I'll leave the discussion on this to the already vigorous discussion in the other sub-forum.

These players did nothing wrong at all so I guess I don't see it as much of an issue to distract from the tournament and I know many, including myself, enjoy reading about the LPGA tourneys. My apologies for distracting from that, and no criticism of any that want to discuss it implied or intended. I just need to get out!

Some tour players who miss the green are already up the fairway and sometimes waiting near the green to hit their little pitch or chip while the guy from 100 or is getting ready to and then hits a ball on the green. Now he waits for someone to walk all the way up to the green, mark, and on and on?

It's a very rare scenario where a player is 100 yards ahead of another. Your example is the extreme, but yes it could occur. If my possible rule scenario should be amended to only give the person hitting a shot a penalty if two balls collide on the green inside of the stakes, then fine. I still feel that waiting for one player to run up and mark the ball is a better tradeoff than not addressing the backstopping problem on Tour right now.

?

What if the player 100 yards behind hit his ball right in front of the hole, right in the other player's line closer to the hole The closer player would wait for the player way back to mark his ball. If you are willing to wait for the other player to mark his ball if it could hurt you, you should be willing to wait if it could help you. That's golf, that's fairness.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

You’d have to make a line all the way around the green wouldn’t you? Like a painted line similar to a hazard line?

That's one way, but all those paint lines on every hole would look bad aesthetically. My suggestion is to just put two stakes 10 yards in front of the green and any player chipping inside of the stakes all the way to the back and side of the green would be impacted by this backstopping rule. I guess you could put two more stakes in back of the green to make an imaginary square box around the green too.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna