2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My Experience Gaming Blades as a Mid-High Handicapper

Andus

@Bubbtubbs said:

> XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

>

... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

> @chisag said:

> @Bubbtubbs said:

> > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> >

>

> ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

>

Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

• Like 1

> @BiggErn said:

> > @chisag said:

> > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > >

> >

> > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> >

>

> Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > >

> > >

> > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > >

> >

> > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

>

> Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

>

> However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

>

> The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

I guess it’s not a lie if you believe it. I’ll agree a bad golfer can be bad with anything.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @chisag said:

> > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > > >

> > >

> > > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

> >

> > Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

> >

> > However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

> >

> > The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

>

> I guess it’s not a lie if you believe it. I’ll agree a bad golfer can be bad with anything.

They certainly can ;-)

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > >

> > >

> > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > >

> >

> > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

>

> Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

>

> However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

>

> The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

Do you genuinely think that mid-high caps lose no performance using blades?

I think that if you're hitting it all over the face, you'll be equally bad with most clubs. Mid high caps can barely play the game well as it stands and really doesn't matter all that much what anybody uses until you get into elite territory. None of us are good enough.

Besides, it's no business of mine what other people do with their game, so long as they like what they're doing.

Just my $0.02

> @balls_deep said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @chisag said:

> > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > > >

> > >

> > > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

> >

> > Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

> >

> > However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

> >

> > The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

>

> Do you genuinely think that mid-high caps lose no performance using blades?

Like all things in golf, it’s player-specific...in my experience as a 10-12 cap, I am not giving anything up at all. I’ve played combo sets, players CBs and MBs and my best scoring has always been with MBs.

I am positive that there are mid-cap guys out there who would benefit from blades but they get talked out of it. I’ve been to fittings where the first question asked is “What’s your handicap?” Based on mine, the first clubs to be tested were always player’s CBs. When I’ve asked to try MBs, the response is usually “Really?” quickly followed by “You shouldn’t be hitting that club that well.”

If there’s any advantage out there, I want it as much as the next player. Every time I’ve had a fitting, MBs have always come out on top for me.

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

> > >

> > > Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

> > >

> > > However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

> > >

> > > The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

> >

> > Do you genuinely think that mid-high caps lose no performance using blades?

>

> Like all things in golf, it’s player-specific...in my experience as a 10-12 cap, I am not giving anything up at all. I’ve played combo sets, players CBs and MBs and my best scoring has always been with MBs.

>

> I am positive that there are mid-cap guys out there who would benefit from blades but they get talked out of it. I’ve been to fittings where the first question asked is “What’s your handicap?” Based on mine, the first clubs to be tested were always player’s CBs. When I’ve asked to try MBs, the response is usually “Really?” quickly followed by “You shouldn’t be hitting that club that well.”

>

> If there’s any advantage out there, I want it as much as the next player. Every time I’ve had a fitting, MBs have always come out on top for me.

Because you mentally want them to come out better for you. There is not one single advantage of playing say a Titleist MB over the CB for anyone but the best ballstrikers in the world. Seriously. Almost identical chassis, sole, top line, everything. They are indistinguishable from above. I guarantee the misses are better with the CB with absolute certainty.

> @mahonie said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

> > >

> > > Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

> > >

> > > However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

> > >

> > > The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

> >

> > Do you genuinely think that mid-high caps lose no performance using blades?

>

> Like all things in golf, it’s player-specific...in my experience as a 10-12 cap, I am not giving anything up at all. I’ve played combo sets, players CBs and MBs and my best scoring has always been with MBs.

>

> I am positive that there are mid-cap guys out there who would benefit from blades but they get talked out of it. I’ve been to fittings where the first question asked is “What’s your handicap?” Based on mine, the first clubs to be tested were always player’s CBs. When I’ve asked to try MBs, the response is usually “Really?” quickly followed by “You shouldn’t be hitting that club that well.”

>

> If there’s any advantage out there, I want it as much as the next player. Every time I’ve had a fitting, MBs have always come out on top for me.

How does any double digit HC benefit from playing blades?

> @balls_deep said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

> > > >

> > > > Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

> > > >

> > > > However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

> > > >

> > > > The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

> > >

> > > Do you genuinely think that mid-high caps lose no performance using blades?

> >

> > Like all things in golf, it’s player-specific...in my experience as a 10-12 cap, I am not giving anything up at all. I’ve played combo sets, players CBs and MBs and my best scoring has always been with MBs.

> >

> > I am positive that there are mid-cap guys out there who would benefit from blades but they get talked out of it. I’ve been to fittings where the first question asked is “What’s your handicap?” Based on mine, the first clubs to be tested were always player’s CBs. When I’ve asked to try MBs, the response is usually “Really?” quickly followed by “You shouldn’t be hitting that club that well.”

> >

> > If there’s any advantage out there, I want it as much as the next player. Every time I’ve had a fitting, MBs have always come out on top for me.

>

> Because you mentally want them to come out better for you. There is not one single advantage of playing say a Titleist MB over the CB for anyone but the best ballstrikers in the world. Seriously. Almost identical chassis, sole, top line, everything. They are indistinguishable from above. I guarantee the misses are better with the CB with absolute certainty.

Here’s the thing...I can’t hit the Titleist MB well at all. The feel off the face, even on well struck shots is ‘clicky.’ To me it feels harsh and I’ve never got comfortable with it. Also, I find the thin top line and overall look intimidating. I am 100% sure I would hit the CB better. However, I hit MBs from Cobra, Nike so much better than any equivalent CB and I’ve never found a club that comes close to the MP4s...apart from the Ping S55s.

The mental thing is a definite factor. I am so confident in the MP4 that I know if I put a good swing on it I can hit the shot...that is worth so much. If I don’t pull the shot off...it’s not the club, it’s me. My misses are either fats or thins...with irons I don’t hit many ‘lateral’ shots so the absolute advantage for me is the consistency of the centre strike. Trackman has shown me that my dispersion with MP4s is so much tighter than with anything else. Not just left and right but also with length. Even with the Nike Split Cavities I played for 3 years, the distance control was not as tight as the MP4s even on slight mishits.

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

> @BiggErn said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

> > > >

> > > > Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

> > > >

> > > > However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

> > > >

> > > > The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

> > >

> > > Do you genuinely think that mid-high caps lose no performance using blades?

> >

> > Like all things in golf, it’s player-specific...in my experience as a 10-12 cap, I am not giving anything up at all. I’ve played combo sets, players CBs and MBs and my best scoring has always been with MBs.

> >

> > I am positive that there are mid-cap guys out there who would benefit from blades but they get talked out of it. I’ve been to fittings where the first question asked is “What’s your handicap?” Based on mine, the first clubs to be tested were always player’s CBs. When I’ve asked to try MBs, the response is usually “Really?” quickly followed by “You shouldn’t be hitting that club that well.”

> >

> > If there’s any advantage out there, I want it as much as the next player. Every time I’ve had a fitting, MBs have always come out on top for me.

>

> How does any double digit HC benefit from playing blades?

Can’t speak for others, but for me it’s distance control and dispersion.

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

> > > > >

> > > > > Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

> > > > >

> > > > > However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

> > > > >

> > > > > The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

> > > >

> > > > Do you genuinely think that mid-high caps lose no performance using blades?

> > >

> > > Like all things in golf, it’s player-specific...in my experience as a 10-12 cap, I am not giving anything up at all. I’ve played combo sets, players CBs and MBs and my best scoring has always been with MBs.

> > >

> > > I am positive that there are mid-cap guys out there who would benefit from blades but they get talked out of it. I’ve been to fittings where the first question asked is “What’s your handicap?” Based on mine, the first clubs to be tested were always player’s CBs. When I’ve asked to try MBs, the response is usually “Really?” quickly followed by “You shouldn’t be hitting that club that well.”

> > >

> > > If there’s any advantage out there, I want it as much as the next player. Every time I’ve had a fitting, MBs have always come out on top for me.

> >

> > How does any double digit HC benefit from playing blades?

>

> Can’t speak for others, but for me it’s distance control and dispersion.

>

Then why are you a double digit HC?

> @BiggErn said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > > > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

> > > > >

> > > > > Do you genuinely think that mid-high caps lose no performance using blades?

> > > >

> > > > Like all things in golf, it’s player-specific...in my experience as a 10-12 cap, I am not giving anything up at all. I’ve played combo sets, players CBs and MBs and my best scoring has always been with MBs.

> > > >

> > > > I am positive that there are mid-cap guys out there who would benefit from blades but they get talked out of it. I’ve been to fittings where the first question asked is “What’s your handicap?” Based on mine, the first clubs to be tested were always player’s CBs. When I’ve asked to try MBs, the response is usually “Really?” quickly followed by “You shouldn’t be hitting that club that well.”

> > > >

> > > > If there’s any advantage out there, I want it as much as the next player. Every time I’ve had a fitting, MBs have always come out on top for me.

> > >

> > > How does any double digit HC benefit from playing blades?

> >

> > Can’t speak for others, but for me it’s distance control and dispersion.

> >

>

> Then why are you a double digit HC?

Typical round: 2 birdies, 9 pars, 3 bogies, 2 double bogeys, 2 triples. Errors leading to big scores are typically poor tee shots, poor bunker play generally, the odd duffed chip, poor pitching 30-100 yards. The errors come in patches in the round and one is compounded by the next. I frequently shoot around par for one 9, then blow up on the other and just as frequently I can blow up on both 9s ;-).

With me I know it’s a confidence thing...I find it hard to stay confident in all aspects and particularly pitching where I could save the majority of my mistakes.

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > > > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > > > > > > XG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video. Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > ... You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear. Matt's contact is very tight and Ian clearly states "if someone spreads the strike across the face, toe heel _a little bit more_, there will be more drop off with a blade".

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Some people just can’t admit or are ignorant to the fact that there’s ABSOLUTELY no benefit to playing a blade if you don’t pound the middle of the face.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Numbers on Trackman and scores on course tell me the absolute opposite.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > However, it is obvious where the market is going and that the OEMs have won. Went into a golf store yesterday for the first time in 12 months and they didn’t carry any MBs or for that matter many player’s CBs...there wasn’t even a stiff shaft to be seen in any of the iron sets or woods in the store.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The sheep will all get fitted into clubs in that store that will ‘improve their games’ only to find that 12 months later that they have regressed. Guess what? They’re still sheep so they will then go and get fitted for more technologically advanced clubs that will make them better and the cycle continues, fuelled by the other ignorant sheep who think that you can buy a game. The only beneficiaries are the OEMs who are fleecing the herd taken in by the marketing spiel.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Do you genuinely think that mid-high caps lose no performance using blades?

> > > > >

> > > > > Like all things in golf, it’s player-specific...in my experience as a 10-12 cap, I am not giving anything up at all. I’ve played combo sets, players CBs and MBs and my best scoring has always been with MBs.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am positive that there are mid-cap guys out there who would benefit from blades but they get talked out of it. I’ve been to fittings where the first question asked is “What’s your handicap?” Based on mine, the first clubs to be tested were always player’s CBs. When I’ve asked to try MBs, the response is usually “Really?” quickly followed by “You shouldn’t be hitting that club that well.”

> > > > >

> > > > > If there’s any advantage out there, I want it as much as the next player. Every time I’ve had a fitting, MBs have always come out on top for me.

> > > >

> > > > How does any double digit HC benefit from playing blades?

> > >

> > > Can’t speak for others, but for me it’s distance control and dispersion.

> > >

> >

> > Then why are you a double digit HC?

>

> Typical round: 2 birdies, 9 pars, 3 bogies, 2 double bogeys, 2 triples. Errors leading to big scores are typically poor tee shots, poor bunker play generally, the odd duffed chip, poor pitching 30-100 yards. The errors come in patches in the round and one is compounded by the next. I frequently shoot around par for one 9, then blow up on the other and just as frequently I can blow up on both 9s ;-).

>

> With me I know it’s a confidence thing...I find it hard to stay confident in all aspects and particularly pitching where I could save the majority of my mistakes.

So you hit 11 greens per round? I understand that the driver can get people in trouble (it gets me in trouble) but I've never seen someone that literally hits their irons like a scratch and chips/pitching like a bogey golfer or worse. Even if you are taking 4 penalty shots off the tee per round, it seems like you'd need to be in complete jail spots (can't even get close to the green after dropping), messing up another full swing shot, or duffing multiple short game shots per round. I also understand some people are bad drivers (Phil, Spieth) but there is some basic mechanics that need to be in place to flush irons all day long.

Also, unless you have the lowest variance of scores imaginable (which seems hard with this type of game), it seems like the numbers above are missing something. That's +11. Most people's index (10-12 or 11) is usually about 3 shots lower than their average score. The absolute numbers are also higher assuming the course has a slope above 113.

Obviously, I've never seen you play so it's certainly possible.

lk7n4phwiyb3.jpeg

> @Bubbtubbs said:

> While lot of bickering up in here.

>

>

>

> TXG did a comparison with an SGI club as well in another video.

>

> Basically, if you can get the flight you want out of the blade, there's such a tiny difference between the two that it comes down to personal preference.

>

> I prefer looking down at a blade so I tend to use my two muscle sets over the Nike VR Pro set I have, but my scores aren't any different with the help the GI clubs provide. If anything, the experience is slightly worse because it's really difficult to hit a controlled cut with the low spin clubs, so I can't fire at pins like I'm used to with the blades and that frustrates me so I don't play as well. That doesn't mean they're better clubs, or that everybody should use them, just that I prefer them.

>

> Use what you like. *shrug*

Agreed, I’m the same way. Played in my men’s league today and we shot the same scores.

I happen to play 2-LW in blades and the other 3 were whatever Taylormade something’s latest and greatest

After nine holes, one mentions that I draw and flight the ball real well. Of course duh, I can hit a high cut when I want to as well but it’s windy. The other 3 struggled lol

So, anecdotally, having my MP-4s in the bag this summer has been good for my game. They work well as a confidence-builder, and they also help me take my time in setting up before a shot and being a little more meticulous, such that I tend to strike the ball well.

On the range, they help me work out kinks because of the difference between a good vs bad strike, so that I wind up grooving a good swing.

It’s to the point that I’m not worried about my irons at all. I can leave them in the bag and not revisit the issue. My testing is all over this thread.

My handicap will drop over time with more experience. I still regularly 3-putt from 20 feet. I had a round the other day where I shot 97 with 44 putts. I missed some short ones, and I didn’t lag some longer ones well. I also saved par on that round on a par 5 after hitting a ball into the water and having 120 yards to the flag out of the rough, but having my 8 iron put the ball within 3 feet for a tap-in par save (with 4 strokes and a penalty : ( ). My weaknesses are putting, a few flubbed chips (30 yard chip + hesitant contact—>10 foot chip and a second try), and to a lesser degree, length off the tee (90 mph swing speed). All of this will improve in time, so I’ve stopped worrying about my irons and I just go out and have fun + work to improve on the course.

My $0.02:

I've seen arguments for and against everything here. To be honest, the only people I can possibly think who have a legitimate and really good reason to not play blades are high single digit cappers - usually because they lose shots by being slightly off with their irons on mishits. Everyone else I see no problem with it. High cappers will see zero significant differences in the grand scheme of things (just to be clear, talking 'shots gained' for high cappers is useless because stats are useless with randomness); it probably will help them to learn to hit it better provided they can.

> @revanant said:

> So, anecdotally, having my MP-4s in the bag this summer has been good for my game. They work well as a confidence-builder, and they also help me take my time in setting up before a shot and being a little more meticulous, such that I tend to strike the ball well.

>

> On the range, they help me work out kinks because of the difference between a good vs bad strike, so that I wind up grooving a good swing.

>

> It’s to the point that I’m not worried about my irons at all. I can leave them in the bag and not revisit the issue. My testing is all over this thread.

>

> My handicap will drop over time with more experience. I still regularly 3-putt from 20 feet. I had a round the other day where I shot 97 with 44 putts. I missed some short ones, and I didn’t lag some longer ones well. I also saved par on that round on a par 5 after hitting a ball into the water and having 120 yards to the flag out of the rough, but having my 8 iron put the ball within 3 feet for a tap-in par save (with 4 strokes and a penalty : ( ). My weaknesses are putting, a few flubbed chips (30 yard chip + hesitant contact—>10 foot chip and a second try), and to a lesser degree, length off the tee (90 mph swing speed). All of this will improve in time, so I’ve stopped worrying about my irons and I just go out and have fun + work to improve on the course.

Agreed regarding the above - probably matters most for those of us who are mid to high singles and trying to shoot par for the first time.

To the above @revanant , I get that you want to play blades and more power to you, I just don’t think the argument that it makes you focus on alignment holds up - you should be doing that with Ping G shovels too. Same thing with the feedback on the range. It’s a ridiculous argument made on here all the time and perpetuated constantly. You can feel miss hits with almost any iron provided you’re paying any attention. Blades do not improve your swing. Studying the swing, practicing the swing, and getting lessons are what improves ball striking. I’ve been consistent in saying I believe you get get all of the benefits of blades with a touch of help in a players CB such as Titleist CB, 7x5, Apex Pro/X Forged, 919T/F etc. All the same except that strike a couple of MM in the toe hits the green instead of the bunker. That saves strokes. I do think that playing wide soles SGI irons teaches a shallow AoA and prevents players from learning how to trap the ball and get spin/height.

> @mahonie said:

> The mental thing is a definite factor. I am so confident in the MP4 that I know if I put a good swing on it I can hit the shot...that is worth so much. If I don’t pull the shot off...it’s not the club, it’s me. My misses are either fats or thins...with irons I don’t hit many ‘lateral’ shots so the absolute advantage for me is the consistency of the centre strike. Trackman has shown me that my dispersion with MP4s is so much tighter than with anything else. Not just left and right but also with length. Even with the Nike Split Cavities I played for 3 years, the distance control was not as tight as the MP4s even on slight mishits.

I never understood why these discussions are ever about anything other than the mental side. There's no arguing with the physics. But there are hundreds of reasons why someone would swing a blade better. You mention one of them. More focus (because you have to!) is another one. Or more complex stuff: someone might look at a large SGI iron and think "sweep" instead of "dig/hit down" because they just can't visualize how that thick hunk of steel will interact with the turf or turn through the swing; a thin blade can evoke the correct mental picture. We talk about CB/GI/etc. being more forgiving than blades on off-center hits (which is true!), but ignore the fact that someone who might regularly hit a blade off-center would, standing over the same ball, shank or top an SGI because of the mental differences. And an off-center blade is better than a shanked shovel.

[Note: I play old GI irons. Don't have any ego invested in this.]

• Like 1

> @agolf1 said:

> So you hit 11 greens per round? I understand that the driver can get people in trouble (it gets me in trouble) but I've never seen someone that literally hits their irons like a scratch and chips/pitching like a bogey golfer or worse. Even if you are taking 4 penalty shots off the tee per round, it seems like you'd need to be in complete jail spots (can't even get close to the green after dropping), messing up another full swing shot, or duffing multiple short game shots per round. I also understand some people are bad drivers (Phil, Spieth) but there is some basic mechanics that need to be in place to flush irons all day long.

>

> Also, unless you have the lowest variance of scores imaginable (which seems hard with this type of game), it seems like the numbers above are missing something. That's +11. Most people's index (10-12 or 11) is usually about 3 shots lower than their average score. The absolute numbers are also higher assuming the course has a slope above 113.

>

> Obviously, I've never seen you play so it's certainly possible.

I’m not hitting 11 GIR very often at all and I’m not flushing irons all day long and the stats I posted were from the median round of my last 5...the others were 84, 80, 80 and 87. Driving down into the stats of those rounds doesn’t really show a pattern that can be related back to my scoring. Looking at my game, it is obvious to anyone who sees it that wedge play is my biggest weakness. 30-90 yard pitches are patchy at best and bunker play is particularly poor. Put me 30 yards from the pin pitching over a bunker and I’ll quickly show you how to turn a simple up and down for most folks into a triple. If I can chip with an 8-iron I’ll get it up and down 50-60%, put a wedge in my hand and it’s 10-15%. I know it’s a totally mental thing.

With regard to slope, that is something that we’re going to have to get used to over here from next year when it comes in. Unofficially, I have heard that my course will be rated at 127 which I understand to be slightly harder than average?

Radius Classic 8

> @balls_deep said:

> > @revanant said:

> > So, anecdotally, having my MP-4s in the bag this summer has been good for my game. They work well as a confidence-builder, and they also help me take my time in setting up before a shot and being a little more meticulous, such that I tend to strike the ball well.

> >

> > On the range, they help me work out kinks because of the difference between a good vs bad strike, so that I wind up grooving a good swing.

> >

> > It’s to the point that I’m not worried about my irons at all. I can leave them in the bag and not revisit the issue. My testing is all over this thread.

> >

> > My handicap will drop over time with more experience. I still regularly 3-putt from 20 feet. I had a round the other day where I shot 97 with 44 putts. I missed some short ones, and I didn’t lag some longer ones well. I also saved par on that round on a par 5 after hitting a ball into the water and having 120 yards to the flag out of the rough, but having my 8 iron put the ball within 3 feet for a tap-in par save (with 4 strokes and a penalty : ( ). My weaknesses are putting, a few flubbed chips (30 yard chip + hesitant contact—>10 foot chip and a second try), and to a lesser degree, length off the tee (90 mph swing speed). All of this will improve in time, so I’ve stopped worrying about my irons and I just go out and have fun + work to improve on the course.

>

> Agreed regarding the above - probably matters most for those of us who are mid to high singles and trying to shoot par for the first time.

>

> To the above @revanant , I get that you want to play blades and more power to you, I just don’t think the argument that it makes you focus on alignment holds up - you should be doing that with Ping G shovels too. Same thing with the feedback on the range. It’s a ridiculous argument made on here all the time and perpetuated constantly. You can feel miss hits with almost any iron provided you’re paying any attention. Blades do not improve your swing. Studying the swing, practicing the swing, and getting lessons are what improves ball striking. I’ve been consistent in saying I believe you get get all of the benefits of blades with a touch of help in a players CB such as Titleist CB, 7x5, Apex Pro/X Forged, 919T/F etc. All the same except that strike a couple of MM in the toe hits the green instead of the bunker. That saves strokes. I do think that playing wide soles SGI irons teaches a shallow AoA and prevents players from learning how to trap the ball and get spin/height.

Just on feedback...the higher the level of feedback, the quicker the rate of learning. I believe it’s called proprioception. When learning a new skill, the body sub-consciously responds to the feedback it’s receiving. The sharper the feedback, the quicker the body adjusts. If you’re grooving a swing, the muted feedback from a CB is only going to help so far. Of course, people learn in many different ways and this is just one, but it shouldn’t be discounted.

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @agolf1 said:

>

> > So you hit 11 greens per round? I understand that the driver can get people in trouble (it gets me in trouble) but I've never seen someone that literally hits their irons like a scratch and chips/pitching like a bogey golfer or worse. Even if you are taking 4 penalty shots off the tee per round, it seems like you'd need to be in complete jail spots (can't even get close to the green after dropping), messing up another full swing shot, or duffing multiple short game shots per round. I also understand some people are bad drivers (Phil, Spieth) but there is some basic mechanics that need to be in place to flush irons all day long.

> >

> > Also, unless you have the lowest variance of scores imaginable (which seems hard with this type of game), it seems like the numbers above are missing something. That's +11. Most people's index (10-12 or 11) is usually about 3 shots lower than their average score. The absolute numbers are also higher assuming the course has a slope above 113.

> >

> > Obviously, I've never seen you play so it's certainly possible.

>

> I’m not hitting 11 GIR very often at all and I’m not flushing irons all day long and the stats I posted were from the median round of my last 5...the others were 84, 80, 80 and 87. Driving down into the stats of those rounds doesn’t really show a pattern that can be related back to my scoring. Looking at my game, it is obvious to anyone who sees it that wedge play is my biggest weakness. 30-90 yard pitches are patchy at best and bunker play is particularly poor. Put me 30 yards from the pin pitching over a bunker and I’ll quickly show you how to turn a simple up and down for most folks into a triple. If I can chip with an 8-iron I’ll get it up and down 50-60%, put a wedge in my hand and it’s 10-15%. I know it’s a totally mental thing.

>

> With regard to slope, that is something that we’re going to have to get used to over here from next year when it comes in. Unofficially, I have heard that my course will be rated at 127 which I understand to be slightly harder than average?

I see. We all have our trouble areas but I would think getting some basic pitch shots down would be a relatively easy thing to do and clean up quite a few shots. I'm not talking becoming a magician, basically get the ball on in relatively easy two putt range (of course, up and down and 4 shots still happens). Of course, easier said then done, but the full swing is something some people just have and given the higher speeds and errors are magnified (if you don't have it).

The base slope is 113. Honestly, I've never seen a course with a slope this low. I don't know what distance you are playing but a lot of 6500 yard courses I find to be 125-140.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> >

> > > So you hit 11 greens per round? I understand that the driver can get people in trouble (it gets me in trouble) but I've never seen someone that literally hits their irons like a scratch and chips/pitching like a bogey golfer or worse. Even if you are taking 4 penalty shots off the tee per round, it seems like you'd need to be in complete jail spots (can't even get close to the green after dropping), messing up another full swing shot, or duffing multiple short game shots per round. I also understand some people are bad drivers (Phil, Spieth) but there is some basic mechanics that need to be in place to flush irons all day long.

> > >

> > > Also, unless you have the lowest variance of scores imaginable (which seems hard with this type of game), it seems like the numbers above are missing something. That's +11. Most people's index (10-12 or 11) is usually about 3 shots lower than their average score. The absolute numbers are also higher assuming the course has a slope above 113.

> > >

> > > Obviously, I've never seen you play so it's certainly possible.

> >

> > I’m not hitting 11 GIR very often at all and I’m not flushing irons all day long and the stats I posted were from the median round of my last 5...the others were 84, 80, 80 and 87. Driving down into the stats of those rounds doesn’t really show a pattern that can be related back to my scoring. Looking at my game, it is obvious to anyone who sees it that wedge play is my biggest weakness. 30-90 yard pitches are patchy at best and bunker play is particularly poor. Put me 30 yards from the pin pitching over a bunker and I’ll quickly show you how to turn a simple up and down for most folks into a triple. If I can chip with an 8-iron I’ll get it up and down 50-60%, put a wedge in my hand and it’s 10-15%. I know it’s a totally mental thing.

> >

> > With regard to slope, that is something that we’re going to have to get used to over here from next year when it comes in. Unofficially, I have heard that my course will be rated at 127 which I understand to be slightly harder than average?

> I see. We all have our trouble areas but I would think getting some basic pitch shots down would be a relatively easy thing to do and clean up quite a few shots. I'm not talking becoming a magician, basically get the ball on in relatively easy two putt range (of course, up and down and 4 shots still happens). Of course, easier said then done, but the full swing is something some people just have and given the higher speeds and errors are magnified (if you don't have it).

>

> The base slope is 113. Honestly, I've never seen a course with a slope this low. I don't know what distance you are playing but a lot of 6500 yard courses I find to be 125-140.

I’ve had one golf lesson, some years ago, split into 2 parts: pitching from 50 yards and how to draw a driver. After 10 minutes the pro had me hitting 50 yard pitches standing on a piece of plywood. I was nipping them nicely and getting range balls to check and even spin back. Technically, he adjusted my set up position slightly and that was it. Practicing at the range is fine, on the course not so good...inconsistency and the mental block. When time and finances allow, I know I need to have a refresher lesson to see if I can start to build some confidence. As a natural fader, learning to draw the driver was more of a challenge but I got there.

Course is 6100 yards from the tips and very tight. Our handicaps travel very well under the current system so I’m expecting that to be evened out by the new system...unfortunately.

Radius Classic 8

> @BiggErn said:

> Golf is hard. The idea that someone focuses more with one club versus another is beyond ridiculous.

And yet, pros get the yips, low handicappers forget how to put, etc etc. Mental stuff matters, and can be weird, and can be idiosyncratic.

I'm not really affected by iron choice, but in my last round, I found myself in the sand too often. Two of them were awful lies - steep downhill, slipping, feet at odd angles to stabilize myself. Both were the best sand shots I ever had; the others (from better lies) were awful. Why? The bad ones required laser focus; the others. Isn't it conceivable that facing a challenging/small club shape could improve someone's focus?

• Like 1

> @BiggErn said:

> Golf is hard. The idea that someone focuses more with one club versus another is beyond ridiculous.

This is the exact sort of comment that shows why you don’t get it. It is nothing to do with focus, it’s all to do with what your body feels through the sensations in the hand and the sounds in the ear. The difference in feedback even between a player’s CB and a MB is massive and it’s the body’s sub-conscious that focuses on it to create muscle memory. The sharper the feedback the sub-conscious processes, the more defined the muscle memory is created.

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > Golf is hard. The idea that someone focuses more with one club versus another is beyond ridiculous.

>

> This is the exact sort of comment that shows why you don’t get it. It is nothing to do with focus, it’s all to do with what your body feels through the sensations in the hand and the sounds in the ear. The difference in feedback even between a player’s CB and a MB is massive and it’s the body’s sub-conscious that focuses on it to create muscle memory. The sharper the feedback the sub-conscious processes, the more defined the muscle memory is created.

Lol. My god it’s not that complex and that’s total bs.

> @zoned_post_meridiem said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > Golf is hard. The idea that someone focuses more with one club versus another is beyond ridiculous.

>

> And yet, pros get the yips, low handicappers forget how to put, etc etc. Mental stuff matters, and can be weird, and can be idiosyncratic.

>

> I'm not really affected by iron choice, but in my last round, I found myself in the sand too often. Two of them were awful lies - steep downhill, slipping, feet at odd angles to stabilize myself. Both were the best sand shots I ever had; the others (from better lies) were awful. Why? The bad ones required laser focus; the others. Isn't it conceivable that facing a challenging/small club shape could improve someone's focus?

>

And has nothing to do with what club is in your hands! ?