PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

jjfcpa

> @DblEgl said:

> > @usmarine said:

> > I can’t get over how good they feel and sound when hit flush. Spent quite a bit of time chipping with the gap. Really good results, normally chip with my sand or lob.

> >

> > I am very happy with my purchase and my Apex’s will be my sons if he wants them.

>

> That's great. By the way, what ball were you using ? How was the trajectory ? Easy launch ? Thanks...

I use the Srixon XV. Trajectory is a little lower than the steel fiber shaft. Clubs are easy to flight down. The launch is the thing I love most. Once I got my rhythm and timing dialed in with the Accra the effort required to launch these irons is minimal. Spin is also good. Not suck it back 20 ft, but one hop stop.

> @Waytall said:

> Thanks for follow up review. Love to hear that your getting great results. How would you say the forgiveness ranks ?

They are very forgiving. The Apex is a great club but these seem to be better on low strikes. I can tell you where I missed them which is not the norm with most cast clubs. I initially thought they were loud but now that I have some time with them they sound just like the Apex heads.

FWIW... Spent the day on the range getting fitted for them today. Leaving price for another discussion ... comparing them to my other sets these perform better for me. Compared to my Mizuno mmc's and JPX919 Forged they are slightly longer, more accurate and a tad higher flight (with comparable shafts). Where the 0211 really seems to help my game is on strikes that are slightly lower on the face (one/two? grooves lower than sweet spot) - which is my typical miss. The 0211 does not feel like the forged gen II but are not way far off either. The upcharge on shafts and grips is a bit disappointing something Mizuno offers on all sets.

FWIW... Spent the day on the range getting fitted for them today. Leaving price for another discussion ... comparing them to my other sets these perform better for me. Compared to my Mizuno mmc's and JPX919 Forged they are slightly longer, more accurate and a tad higher flight (with comparable shafts). Where the 0211 really seems to help my game is on strikes that are slightly lower on the face (one/two? grooves lower than sweet spot) - which is my typical miss. The 0211 does not feel like the forged gen II but are not way far off either. The upcharge on shafts and grips is a bit disappointing something Mizuno offers on all sets.

So, since getting my new 0211's last Thursday I have been to the range twice and played 9 on a little par 3 course this am. Per my previous post catching up on 30 years of golf tech and first time ever going through a fitting process. Cant believe how well I am hitting these clubs. Sorry I cant contrast/compare with anything recent. Hit 6 of 9 greens today from between 100 and 135 out. With no one behind me I played a second ball on about 4 tees and hit those greens also. I am sure a lot of this has to do with the fitting. Use to play to about an 18 handicap so well see how this ends up over the next couple years. So far so good.

• Like 1

> @mce58 said:

> So, since getting my new 0211's last Thursday I have been to the range twice and played 9 on a little par 3 course this am. Per my previous post catching up on 30 years of golf tech and first time ever going through a fitting process. Cant believe how well I am hitting these clubs. Sorry I cant contrast/compare with anything recent. Hit 6 of 9 greens today from between 100 and 135 out. With no one behind me I played a second ball on about 4 tees and hit those greens also. I am sure a lot of this has to do with the fitting. Use to play to about an 18 handicap so well see how this ends up over the next couple years. So far so good.

Sounds like your getting along great ! Haven’t had a chance to hit mine yet but they look and feel nice

I hit my dad's 0211's this weekend. They were in his regular flex elevate shafts - and spun quite a bit. They were still about a club longer than my current - ie his 7 went as far as my 6. They felt great and despite the size, they actually didn't look that bad behind the ball at all. Look great in the bag too.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Played 18 last night. Still in honeymoon mode but have hit one snag. The 12 bounce on the PW and GW have such a different feel from my eye2 + PW and SW that back in the day were my only two wedges. I have a lesson in the AM and enough time to hit the chipping area for about an hour prior. Have to do a better job getting out of the second cut grass around the green. Anyone else having any growing pains with their short game with these?

I just got my clubs today, hopefully will get out this weekend to try them out. The stock grips seem bearable for now, will eventually replace them with my preferred Winn DriTac’s. I’m still on the rope about my 0811X driver, don’t know that I’ll like it any better than the Callaway Rogue that I’m currently using. I may just end up selling the driver and just keeping the 0211 irons, but I must admit their driver head cover is the nicest one I’ve ever seen. I’ll post an update after I get a chance to play them.

Nothing but range time for me so far, but I’ll be getting out on the course later.

The way they chamfered the top line makes it look almost blade like and the finishing of the metal is just awesome. Not sure how I feel about the stock grips yet. Looking down on these clubs just gives me a lot of confidence. The Accra i90 shafts load very easy for me and didn’t take long to get used to the tempo. Mine are +1” , which makes for a D5 swingweight . I absolutely Love the feel/sound of these when hit well.

Like other reports, they certainly don’t act like a cast club. I think in the long run, this is where the 0211 will shine the most, a Forged feel with the Cast durability. Coming from a set of Edel SLS, I can’t compare to other, newer variable length irons, but I would find it hard if these aren’t at least equal to anything else in the market/ price point . It’s still early to tell for sure, but I think these will be in the bag for a long while.

> @DblEgl said:

> > @usmarine said:

> > Try adjusting the driver if you don’t like it at first. I added a little loft and it really made the driver play better for me. Just my 2 cents.

>

> What shaft did you settle on? Any iron update ? Thanks.

I have the Evenflow white in stiff. This driver is what I classify as sneaky long but very forgiving. It does not feel as powerful as my 410 LST but it is not short.

> @usmarine said:

> > @DblEgl said:

> > > @usmarine said:

> > > Try adjusting the driver if you don’t like it at first. I added a little loft and it really made the driver play better for me. Just my 2 cents.

> >

> > What shaft did you settle on? Any iron update ? Thanks.

>

> I have the Evenflow white in stiff. This driver is what I classify as sneaky long but very forgiving. It does not feel as powerful as my 410 LST but it is not short.

>

My gen 2 XF is the same. Doesn’t sound/feel powerful but I’m hitting some bombs that I couldn’t do with my G400 Max.

I have had these out on the course a few times now. Typical of a mid to hi caper I just need to get that repeat ability on the swing. When I do my part these clubs just shell the green. Way more so than my ping eye 2+ at my best back in the day. I have a couple practice sessions in the books chipping and pitching so getting use to the bounce on the G and SW. I did a set of 5 lessons and have my last lesson this Friday. Going to split the lesson between driver and bunker.

The lessons, fitting , and getting into these irons has made this a really fun summer.

• Like 1

Just picked up a set of 5-PW with Mitsubishi MMT stiff shafts. Very excited as I did the free 30 minute Club Champion fitting and was hitting them beautifully. First PXG club and first graphite shafted irons ever. Initial numbers from the Trackman and my own SkyTrak are very promising when compared to my Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Forged 8 iron: Ball speeds are faster (+4.5 mph), launch angle slightly lower (-2*), less backspin (-800 rpm), more carry (+8.5 yds), lower descent angle (-2.4*) and the same total height.

if8yme4mthrt.png

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

(6) 18 hole rounds, (4) 9 hole rounds and about (10) range sessions...I LOVE these irons. After my first round with these I knew they were special for me....not that my last irons (919 Hot Metals) were bad by any means but these have just been great. Accuracy is better, Ball flight higher & more penetrating, turf interaction better and the feel/sound is great. Very happy I took the leap and ordered these when I did. This is the first time ever I’m not looking for new irons.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

> @mce58 said:

> Played 18 last night. Still in honeymoon mode but have hit one snag. The 12 bounce on the PW and GW have such a different feel from my eye2 + PW and SW that back in the day were my only two wedges. I have a lesson in the AM and enough time to hit the chipping area for about an hour prior. Have to do a better job getting out of the second cut grass around the green. Anyone else having any growing pains with their short game with these?

> @mce58 said:

> Played 18 last night. Still in honeymoon mode but have hit one snag. The 12 bounce on the PW and GW have such a different feel from my eye2 + PW and SW that back in the day were my only two wedges. I have a lesson in the AM and enough time to hit the chipping area for about an hour prior. Have to do a better job getting out of the second cut grass around the green. Anyone else having any growing pains with their short game with these?

Yep. Me too. Struggling with chipping with the gap and pitching wedge. Thinking of getting them bent 1 to 2 degrees strong to get the bounce from 12 to probably 10.

> @dxdgenert said:

> Just picked up a set of 5-PW with Mitsubishi MMT stiff shafts. Very excited as I did the free 30 minute Club Champion fitting and was hitting them beautifully. First PXG club and first graphite shafted irons ever. Initial numbers from the Trackman and my own SkyTrak are very promising when compared to my Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Forged 8 iron:

Curious about the MMT shafts....what is your take on them? Feel? Trajectory, etc. Thanks.

> @mtnbiker5 said:

> 10 hcp here playing mizuno MP 18s. Love the feel of Mizzy but have always been curious on PXG. Look is amazing. Anyone know what is the best way to test these irons on grass an see ball flight? I'd hate to be stuck in a fitting bay indoors and spend this kind of money.

If you're coming from MP's I think you'll find the 0211's to be a very different beast. The latter has more offset, longer blade length, and way thicker topline/sole. Feel wise it's a wash IMO (yes, the 0211's feel that good).

> @DblEgl said:

> > @dxdgenert said:

> > Just picked up a set of 5-PW with Mitsubishi MMT stiff shafts. Very excited as I did the free 30 minute Club Champion fitting and was hitting them beautifully. First PXG club and first graphite shafted irons ever. Initial numbers from the Trackman and my own SkyTrak are very promising when compared to my Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Forged 8 iron:

>

> Curious about the MMT shafts....what is your take on them? Feel? Trajectory, etc. Thanks.

My first foray into graphite iron shafts so take things with a grain of salt. The MMT feel is solid but muted. Not as muted as the KBS TGI75 that I also hit but not as “lively” as the SteelFiber i80, either. I would say it sits squarely in between those.

However, the weight felt better with the MMT 80 than the i80. Hard to articulate but the i80 felt lighter. Maybe the MMT distributes more weight towards the tip of the shaft, resulting in a better feel for the clubhead?

Ball flight was roughly the same for all three shafts. Dispersion was noticeably better with the i80 and MMT 80.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2